What Came After

Reply 1430
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The deceased souls followed the three grim reapers as they walked alongside the muddy river bank.

 

 

Jiyong and Seunghyun occasionally stole glances at the girls behind them; after all, hell rarely saw such beauty. Being the leader she was, Hyebin glared at the two boys.

 

 

They reached the small boat beside the riverbank, and Nancy winced at the grating feel of the stones on her feet. Yeonwoo, sensing her distress, offered to carry her. After all, it was the end. She should, after all, make it up for her.

 

 

Death wasn't the saddest thing. It was the regret that came with it. All those strengths, potential, talents and power wasted. But enough of the poetic nonsense, and back to the story.

 

 

"To be honest, Hyebin is doing a wonderful job here." Jiyong smiled creepily. "just look at the number of souls here!"

 

 

"Just shut up." Seunghyun elbowed his partner. And so they began to face Yeonwoo and the others, ad her mind started to swirl as if a leech was out her memories.

 

 

She could not remember what exactly happened back there at the river bank. But she had watched her sisters, her enemies, her friends, all gulp down the cups of tea and wisp away to a shadow.

 

 

At last, she even had to bid goodbye to her love. That was the most painful thing she had to endure, and the heartbreak was still firmly embedded in her heart. She remembered Nancy had cupped her cheek and said that she loved Yeonwoo and to not feel guilty and remorseful.

 

 

She didn't.

 

 

Really, after all these years, she wasn't guilty. No remorse, then and now, had been seen from the second princess of The Great Sejong. So proud was she over her sheer intelligence, that she had neglected all those people around her. Even her sisters, or her best friends, or her love.

 

 

But now, as even Nancy Jewel Mcdonie faded away, a new chapter in Yeonwoo's life had begun. A new leaf had been turned over. She had to put away her grief for later, because all this was swirling and making her dizzy enough to forget what exactly was going on. 

 

 

And back in the mortal world...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the throne room, here was no one other than that red-robed, shaking emperor of Joseon. The Japanese had negotiated a peace treaty with Sejong, since their leader had died and the attack was fruitless. The face on the Japanese leader's corpse seemed strangely familiar, though Sejong could not put his finger on it. Not that he could think properly. His daughters had died one by one, in front of his royal throne, saying ghastly things and accusing each other of controversial relationships. He sighed, and buried his head in his hands. Why did this all happen? He had to deal with irrigation, tax, welfare of his people, and yet his daughters could not stay out of this mess and had left one by one.

 

 

Though all the Jurchens were dead, the Japanese defeated, his empire was in tatters and ruins. The term "Pyrrhic Victory" had not yet spread to the Orient, much less the Korean peninsula, but no one desired a victory like this.

 

 

The Ming emperor from China had provided resources for the country to rebuild, but still there were some things that could not be mended. His four daughters, slaughtered. His palace and library, wrecked. His empire in ruins. 

 

 

He sat in his throne, looking downwards. His shoes, caked with mud, were also stained with blood. Maybe blood from his daughters, maybe blood from his enemies, he couldn't really tell. All he knew was he wouldn't ever change these pair of shoes again. He needed a reminder of this day, whether it saddens him or not.

 

 

The minister of historical records scurried over and held out a thin book. "The records of your reign, sire."

 

 

"Destroy it." The man said hollowly. "Erase everything out of this time period. The people won't know what happened, and after a decade or so, no one will ever hear the name Lee Dabin. Rewrite everything in an orderly fashion. I want a very organised version of this record. No one can speak of this event after a period of time, so do what I say."

 

 

"Sire!" The minister exclaimed, shocked. Rewrite history!

 

 

"I have others who would eagerly do this. Don't force me to behead you too." Sejong growled. "I shall not say this twice. Rewrite the history records."

 

 

And this is the story of how Sejong The Great came to be, along with all the numerous inventions, restructuring and the praise of the history books. The inventing of hangul, the Korean words, and the war victories against the Japanese and the Jurchen tribe. The outstanding regime of the Joseon empire.

 

The story of the huncheoni, the miraculous globe, the story of Chiang Young-sil, the story of Sejong's great military conquests, the prosperity in farming, the revolutionary science. Written beautifully and without a hint that it was forged.

 

 

And after 20 years or so, Sejong passed away with trauma, sickness and other symptoms, but these were also rewritten upon his deathbed. Succeeding him was his nephew, who reigned as the Munjong. Thus, all was peaceful again. And true to Sejong's word, after a long time, no one remembered the truth of 1430.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter