Secrets behind Secrets

Reply 1430
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One night, Yeonwoo tossed and turned around, but she couldn't fall asleep.

 

Something was nagging at the back of her mind, something she'd missed. Her instincts told her something was afoot. She got up and washed her face, to think clearly.

 

As they say, the answer always lies at home, and so she put on a shawl, woke Daisy up and went to the palace.

 

The Emperor had made a permit for his favourite daughter to enter the palace at irregular times, and so they went past the guards and headed straight to the royal library.

 

The library, Yeonwoo reasoned, would be the perfect place for research. And so she opened the door and went inside. And she stopped in her tracks.

 

There were two people inside the library, concealed between the shelves. Yeonwoo could see Hyebin and Jooe behind the rows and rows of books. They were sitting there, motionless, staring at each other.

 

What are they doing in the library at this odd hour?

 

"Unnie." Jooe began. "Why did you bring me here?"

 

"I... I wanted to talk to you. Privately, without the maids." Hyebin replied. Was it Daisy's imagination, or did Hyebin look terrified and shy at the same time?

 

"Why? There's nothing you can't say to me in front of my maids." Jooe blinked.

 

Hyebin took a deep breath. "Jooe ah, what I'm about to say is no joke. Please be serious."

 

"Okay." Jooe shrugged.

 

"Promise me." Hyebin begged.

 

"Okay! Okay, I promise you! Geez, what's wrong?" Jooe snapped. Daisy snickered quietly. 

 

"Lee Joo Won." Hyebin said calmly. "Saranghae. I. Love. You."

 

The whole room fell deathly silent, and it felt like electricity was crackling around the thin air.

 

"You-" Jooe stuttered. "You- You're messing with me, right? Please tell me you're messing with me."

 

"No, I'm not." Tears were streaming out of Hyebin's eyes. "I would never joke on this matter. Seriously, I love you. And don't say anything." Suddenly she launched herself at Jooe, lips connecting.

 

Hyebin looked at her wide, panicking eyes, and for a split second she wanted to pull away and apologise. Then she felt Jooe's hands on the back of her head, and Jooe started to lean forward and return the kiss.

 

"I love you too, Lee Hyebin." Jooe said simply. 

 

Daisy was enjoying all this with relish, as if she was inside a cinema. Then she turned to look at Yeonwoo.

 

Her eyes were leaking rivers, and she had the most horrified expression on her face, as if she had seen something she shouldn't have. Her hands were cupped over , and she was sobbing silently.

 

Of course, Daisy thought silently. They were siblings, and most taboo of all, they were girls. Girls shouldn't marry each other. Then Daisy thought of Jane's pretty face, and blushed to herself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"What have I seen?" Yeonwoo whispered. They were sitting on a bench in the library, after the shocking turn of events.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter