Fires are lit by Sparks

Reply 1430
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The third gate. Bukhansan. Hanseong.

 

The Joseon army arrived at the third gate. Again, it was an obstacle, a barricade designed for blocking the way of the enemy. It was built with boulders, one piled over the another, such that it resembled a rock gate. Calling it a gate didn’t do the structure justice; instead, using the word ‘barricade’ would suffice.  

 

The flag of the Goryeo army stood at the very top of the barricade. It was coated with dust and grime, the sign of the furious battle previously. Hanging there, with the emblem waving, it seemed that even the flag knew that the battle wasn’t over. 

 

The barricade was indeed strong, and it seemed no ram could ever topple the rocks and boulders. It was simply too strong.

 

A squadron tried to climb the wall, but they were met with arrows, rocks and logs, and the troops returned with pretty serious bruises and cuts.

 

It was heavily fortified, and the Goryeo soldiers were ready for another attack.

 

“How on earth could we get across?” This was a question in every soldier’s mind.

 

“Build walls, set up tents and dig wells.” Yeonwoo replied. “The current plan is to control the situation, and if we have to spend the night here, then we spend the night here. There’s no other way.”

 

“Roger that.” Beside her were Daisy and Ahin, and they gave out the order.

 

The troops set out the pikes and barbs obtained from the second gate, to use as a shield to prevent the Goryeo army from attacking. They set up tents and fires to spend the night, and they dug wells for fresh water - or water anyway, if it wasn’t fresh.

 

The soldiers used spades and buckets to dig wells, and they found the dirt quite hard to break through. It was really hard, so the dirt didn’t loosen and cave into the well. The water was carried out by canteens and bottles, and some of this water was lifted into the main tent for the princesses.

 

The digging soldier carrying the buckets walked into Yeonwoo’s tent, where she was sitting beside a table, concentrating.

 

“Just so you know,” the soldier said, “even digging soldiers like us can help fight. If you want to attack tomorrow, count us in. We can all fight.

 

“Mmm.” Yeonwoo nodded. “What’s your name and rank? I don’t recognise you.”

 

“Private Bu Seungkwan, of Squadron 17.”

 

“Okay. I’ll let you know when we’ll attack firsthand.” Yeonwoo nodded. “Your passion is what we need here.”

 

“Got it.” Seungkwan nodded. “And — I must point out, that the biggest, roaring fires are lit by small sparks.” 

 

Yeonwoo was busy thinking about the rock barricade. It certainly seemed impenetrable, and breaking it seemed impossible. It could only be bypassed by breaking the wall. Or, as she thought on, maybe there was another way, and they could get by, and not waste time trying to break down the wall. Seungkwan was a digger; he could use his shovels and spades along with his squadron troops.

 

Early next morning, Squadron 17 prepared the spades and buckets used the day before. The order was given — dig a tunnel underneath the wall, and break out the other side. Then they would surprise the enemy and take down the wall from the other side.

 

The soldiers, led by Seungkwan, dug, down, down and under. Down, down down. They successfully went through the soil and went out the other side, towards the other side of the stone wall. They popped out of the ground, and they pulled out their tools and rushed to the Goryeo guards.

 

The guards didn’t know what happened, before they were killed by the Joseon soldiers. One of them had a stake sticking right out of his head, while another’s face was beaten to a pulp by a hammer. The leading guard fared the worst, as Seungkwan had smashed his spade into his torso multiple times. The stone wall was then toppled by Seungkwan, and the rest of the army rushed past the fallen boulders.

 

“What a success.” Yeonwoo commented. “You surprise me with your talents.”

 

“Thank you.” Seungkwan bowed, stowing away his bloodstained tools.

 

The boulders were carried away, and the path was clear once more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Boulders are huge.” Nayun commented, stretching her hands. “Like this.”

 

“Oh.” The scholar nodded, unimpressed. “So anyway, you can imagine the sheer size of the wall. It was enormous, yet the Joseon army managed to overcome the difficulties.”

 

“So, the three gates were bypassed. Any questions?”

 

“Yes.” Taeha raised her hand. “If the Joseon army were winning, what about the Jurchens or the Japanese?”

 

“Ah.” The scholar nodded. “Very good question. We’ll discuss this next.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Jurchens had arrived at the base of Baektusan. Their leader, whose tiger pelt shone in the face of the rising sun, looked to their south. “Victory awaits.” He growled. “Wealth, power, wives.” 

 

“Victory awaits!” The Jurchen tribe howled. They shook off the snow on their fur coats, and continued the march.

 

The leader’s eyes glimmered. His tribe mates were bloodthirsty, vio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter