War and Romance part I

Reply 1430
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jane's father was currently drinking again. Barrels of wine were upturned, and he wasn't even using a cup.

 

Once upon a time, he was the prized general and commander of Emperor Taejong, and next he was reduced to downing alcohol in a straw house.

 

He sighed. All because of the mission 18 years ago. He admitted that he was too headstrong, and that the mission was a failure.

 

Of course, he didn't get Jane's respect, since he was such a terrible father. But he still loved his daughter, more than anything in the world. 

 

Why was he thinking of these matters? He downed another mouthful of wine. So sadistic. It wasn't like him to think like that.

 

"Father!" Jane crashed into the living room. "It's a riot outside! Come and look!"

 

"What now?" He stood up. "Is it another student protest? What's going on?"

 

"I heard their voices. A supposed Goryeo descendant is marching his troops to the palace!" Jane replied, sounding frightened. "They're burning every house to the ground! We have to go now."

 

"No." Her father replied, sounding determined. He pushed a thick red book into Jane's hands. "You go, to your friend's house. Take this with you and try to give it to the Emperor, or your friend if she's trustworthy. It explains everything."

 

"Okay."

 

"Oh, and daughter," he said, "remember that I love you. Even in desperate times."

 

"Father!" Jane said, shocked.

 

"Go now. There is something I need to finish before I leave." Her father gently prodded her out. He took a deep breath. Any breath might be his last now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Halt!" Jin shouted, bringing the army to a sudden stop. "Who is blocking the road?"

 

"I am." Jane's father, once the mighty general of Joseon, stood in the middle of the path. "Is that the Goryeo filth?"

 

"You dare!" A soldier yelled, charging at Jane's father. He swatted the soldier out of the sky with one big hand.

 

"Listen here." Jane's father roared. "I killed your parents 18 years ago. It was I who wielded the blade. Now I'm going to try and stop this rebellion."

 

Jin's eyes blazed. "I'd like to see you try."

 

Fifty archers positioned themselves behind the soldiers.

 

Jane's father started to walk towards the army. "I'll finish what I left behind 18 years ago."

 

He heard the arrows sinking into his chest, fifty of them, but still he endeavoured on. Now even Jin was a little scared of this behaviour. A man who isn't even afraid of death is terribly scary.

 

"What are you doing? Get him!" Jin shouted.

 

Twelve or so soldiers charged themselves at Jane's father, but they were all propelled back by his natural strength.

 

"The only regret I feel is that I did not have the chance to kill you 18 years ago." He roared. "I shall end this now."

 

"Guards!" Jin shouted. "Kill this man!"

 

Jane's father strode to exactly two metres in front of the Goryeo descendant. Then he smiled. His smile was both calm and spooky at the same time.

 

"It's too late for me." He said. "You only get one chance at life. I'm sorry, daughter." Then his arrow wounds kicked in, and he fell to the ground.

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jane arrived at the big house.

 

"Open the door, please!" She cried.

 

The door creaked open, and Nancy's head poked out. "What?"

 

"I have an urgent message for Yeonwoo unnie." Jane said. "Please can I come in?"

 

"She's not here now." Nancy said. "Perhaps you could come at another time?"

 

"No, it's an emergency!" Jane stamped her foot on the ground, which she thought menacing, but was actually kind of cute. 

 

"Kill!" The Goryeo army yelled downtown, a few blocks away.

 

"Um, you should probably come in right now." Nancy took one look at the army and closed the door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So, what

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter