Dinner

Reply 1430
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Truth be told, this food is awesome.” Ahin wolfed down another spoonful of food. “The cooks at home ain’t got nothing on your skills, Daisy.”

 

“I try.” Daisy admitted modestly. “Like, if I add cheese in my egg rolls, I discover that they’re more delicious. And if I put scallop in my soup, they add a salty tang into the flavour.”

  

“Cooking skills.” Ahin praised.

 

“Just eat.” Yeonwoo said hollowly. “You’re a guest in my house. Behave.”

 

“Hmm. The most polite person under your roof is the girl over there.” Ahin noted. “Perhaps you can look at her manners.”

 

The girl with a straw dress looked shy as she bit into a carrot. Obviously, she had never been to a banquet, and so she proceeded to eat just the salad. 

 

“Set an example, Ahin.” Yeonwoo scolded. “You are a dignified guest.”

 

“Of course I’m dignified.” Ahin spat. “Look, I’m eating the soup so gracefully.” She brought the spoon to ever so slowly. Daisy rolled her eyes.

 

“Just chill, girl.” Nancy patted the girl. “Relax! We won’t bite.”

 

“Oh- Okay.” The girl ate a bit of tofu with trembling hands.

 

“Hey, what’s your name?” Ahin asked suddenly. She had been dying to ask her this question ever since the meal started, but the death glares sent by her sister was too scary.

 

“Ahin!” Yeonwoo scolded.

 

“‘S okay. My name’s Jane.” The girl stuttered.

 

“Jane.” Ahin noted. “Nice name.”

 

Daisy snickered. “That’s all you can say? ‘Nice name’?”

 

“Of course. What can I say?” Ahin retorted.

 

“You could say this.” Daisy explained. “Oh, Jane, your name is like a spring bud in the snow, a fish jumping in the rushing water, a rabbit in the windy fields, an owl flying in the night skies. You are like an angel sent by the gods, a pearl from the deep trenches of the ocean, an oasis in the dry and leeching desert. O, you are perfect in every way.”

 

Ahin and Nancy mimed gagging, while Yeonwoo facepalmed. The first facepalm invented. Fifteenth century.

 

“Thanks.” The girl whispered, and Ahin could swear she blushed afterwards.

 

“... you two are spoiling the atmosphere for dinner.” Yeonwoo pointed at Daisy and Ahin. “Eat silently.”

 

“Meanie!” Ahin complained, while Daisy rolled her eyes again.

 

“Eat.” Yeonwoo commanded, and that was that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Where’s Ahin?” Sejong thundered in the palace. Of course he was worried, since the exam students were still in the capital, and Sejong did not want his daughter to get mixed up with some stupid men.

 

“The princess was invited for dinner.” A maid tittered. “She seemed intent on going.”

 

“Oh, what on earth do I hire you people with?” Sejong ran a hand in his hair. “Triple the guards in the city. I want my daughter here!”

 

“As you wish, Your Majesty.” The maid exited the room, and relayed the message to a nearby guard.

 

“Oh, and send for my other daughters. I don’t want them wandering around again.” Sejong instructed. 

 

“Of course.” The maid scurried off.

 

“Trust my daughters to be equally infuriating.” Sejong muttered. “I could even bet that they would run away just like that.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Spring bud in the snow.” Nancy snickered silently during the meal. “Oh, so poetic.”

 

“Shut up.” Daisy snapped back. “Just so you know, my poems exceeds your limits.”

 

“I believe you.” Nancy smirked. “An owl in the night.”

 

“Truth be told, that girl is kind of cute.” Daisy admitted. “Like a sparrow in its comfortable nest.”

 

“Eww. No more stupid metaphors.” Nancy gritted her teeth.

 

Just then, the wind rustled the trees. A chill went through Daisy, like a penguin diving for the first time (as if this story did not have enough metaphors). This feeling, it was uncommon to Daisy. Perhaps it was the so-called ‘deja vu’.

 

A person stepped into the house, and Daisy gasped loudly. It was the teen that she’d encountered at Jeonju. 

 

He had pale skin, deep black eyes and raven black hair. He wore a decorated white coat, which made him look like a noble, along with his elegant handheld fan. If Daisy didn’t know better, he looked like a courteous gentleman. 

 

He snapped his fan shut. 

 

“Who are you?” Nancy and Ahin asked simultaneously.

 

“I am a... shall we say, guest. And I ranked second in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter