07 - Parting

Don't Play Me!

Chapter 07 – Parting


Mina

 

As if meeting Jungkook the way I did wasn’t bad enough, I came home the next day to an even bigger cluster . A devastating one.

 

I couldn’t figure it out at first.

 

 “What are you doing home?” I asked Mingyu, my little brother, with a puzzled frown. He was supposed to be at school.

 

I put the bags I had on my arms down on the counter. Hopefully that’s enough stuff there to last us for the week. He gave me a hesitant looks mixed with annoyance that was typical of a hormonal pre teen. Okay, got it. Stay out of his business.

 

“Where have you been?” It was almost an accusation. “You didn’t answer your phone.”

 

“I told mum that I would be away. I had a quick job that I picked up.” I explained. I thought mum would tell him.

 

“Well, mum’s been upset.” He said pointing to the closed door of her bedroom.

 

I sighed. I knew mum was sick but I was really hoping that by now she would have gotten better. Then instantly felt for even thinking that. She had gone through a lot for us already.

 

“I’ll got in and look after her.” I told him and watched as his shoulders relaxed with relief. He maybe a lot younger than me, a kid still, but he too had to grow up quite fast. It had been even tougher on him. I was old enough to adjust to the sudden slap in the face, change in our life style but he had been too young to understand and had spent a good few months confused as to why he couldn’t eat what he wanted, go where he wanted or even wear what he wanted anymore.

 

“First, you need to get to school.” I ordered checking the time. He can still make it to half a day. “I’ll write you an excuse note for the first half.” I took the book he offered and wrote a few bull lines before passing it back to him with a quick smile and a hair ruffle that he brush off with an annoyed scowl.

 

I felt emotionally exhausted. I may have gotten my own room to spend the night, which I had been dreading thinking that Jungkook would just brush it off and ask me to sleep with him like we had done so many times before but to my relief the guys had come back looking for Jungkook when he never went down to eat with them. One look at me still there, eating room service with him and RM had rushed me out of the room, putting me in a separate one while the rest just worked to distract Jungkook with birthday celebrations and presents.

 

I had stopped at the door once to look back, taking in the boyish grin on Jungkook’s face and felt a pang in my chest. He looked so happy in between all the other guys. It was clear that him being the youngest was used to being spoiled by everyone else. Honestly it was so easy to love Jungkook, I knew it better than anyone else.

 

Then this morning V RM and Jin had paid me a visit to make sure I knew my rightful place. They weren’t telling me anything I didn’t know.

 

I can’t be seen associating with Jungkook. It would ruin his reputation. RM had said with a scowl.

 

I was just an easy lay for him and he will get over me, so don’t take it to heart and become hopeful. That cruel tidbit of enlightening information had been from V. I honestly would have rolled my eyes at that if I didn’t think they could very well leave me stranded in freaking Japan. They didn’t know about me and Jungkook, or what had been between us.

 

I’d just obediently nodded to them each time, so they would just leave in peace after having said their piece. I had looked lastly at Jin expecting him to put forth his line but he had just shrugged and said, “You have really pretty eyes.” Earing him looks from the other two like he was out of his mind.

 

It had been so unexpected that I couldn’t help but laugh. “I know, Mr. Worldwide handsome.” I had sassed back at him because it was clear he was playing with the other two idiots.

 

Since then, the guys had spent all their time making sure that I didn’t get a single second alone with Jungkook and I had watched it all from afar. Torn between wanting to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all and wanting to just plain disappear, realizing the inconvenience I was causing everyone.

 

I wasn’t exactly sure how they chose but Suga had been my unfortunate flight seat partner and to my relief he had just ignored me the whole way through.

 

I thought back to their rushed exit at the airport and the note I left behind. I hoped he took it well because the last thing I wanted to do was hurt him. All I could think was that I didn’t even get to say a proper goodbye.

 

Jungkook called out to me to wait ten minute before following them out when we got off the flight. Said he would ask one of their managers to pick me up and bring me to him. He attempted to walk closer to me with his phone out but RM dragged him away, telling him off about all the other people in the flight coming out and seeing us.

 

“Later.” I had lied to him, nodding at his phone with a smile that didn’t quite reach my eyes. He must have picked up on it because he had frowned but left with the guys anyway. All of them had been about keeping us apart; I did shake my head then, at how discriminating people could be. Just because I was poor? Just because I wasn’t as privileged? I scowled at myself for thinking that. The guys were just being protective of Jungkook because they cared. Their careers were larger than life but was fragile at the same time. One wrong move, one false rumor would be enough to ruin everything. I got it.

 

I turned around to take the opposite exit to them and sneak out of the side and nearly screamed when I bumped right into someone. I didn’t realize someone was standing so close behind me.

 

I looked up startled and looked into a pair of troubled eyes. Jimin. Did he know?

 

“I don’t know much but I clearly know a little more than them.” He sighed as if reading my unasked question. “He’s going to be looking for you.” He stated matter of factly.

 

“There isn’t much I can do about that.” I shrugged. “The guys will just have to keep and eye on him for while, then he will forget again.” It hurt to say it.

 

I walked to the counter and picked up a piece of square paper they had for customers.

 

'It was really nice to see you again Kookie. I’m so proud of you. You really did it! Kookie, you will always be the bestest friend I ever had but I’m sorry I can’t be a friend to JK. I will be just another fan instead.

Remember I used to tell you to chase your dream while you still could? Well you did and you caught it baby. So this time I’ll tell you to chase happiness because I will always wish the best for you but I’m sorry I can’t be there for you. Take Care – Love Mimi'

 

I didn’t realize I was crying until the receptionist pushed a box of tissues my way. I looked up and she gave me a sympathetic smile. “Goodbyes do take their toll on us don’t they?”

 

I nodded though I’m pretty sure this wasn’t exactly the type of goodbye she was talking about. But I agreed because it was tearing me apart.

 

I used a tissue before I turned around and faced Jimin still standing in a corner, looking nervous, probably about someone recognizing him.

 

I gave him the piece of paper and he looked down at it. I was tempted to ask him to not read it because my heart was in it but he had stayed behind so I guess the least I could do was fill his curiosity if he wanted to read it.  

 

“Make sure he get’s it please.” I pleaded. “I don’t want him to misunderstand and think he meant nothing because I know how insecure he used to be back then.” I admitted. “But I want him to understand that we can’t be the us we used to be either. He won’t be looking for me this way.”

 

Jimin gave me a look filled with doubt and indecision. “You can come with me. The other guys just don’t know about your history. They will understand once they know it.”

 

I was shaking my head even before he finished talking. “There’s a lot going on in my life right now. I really appreciate what the guys are doing for him.” A wishful smile pulled at my lips. “It used to be me doing that before but now he has six big brothers looking out for him. I couldn’t have asked for anything better for him.”

 

“Why do I get the feeling that what you guys had was really special?” His look was piercing but all I did was just shrug. Because it was.

 

“Goodbye.” I nodded before walking away. My heart was breaking but I held my head high, knowing I was doing the right thing.

 

****

 

I looked at the closed door to the room I shared with mum and wondered whether I should get some food cooked before I went in there to wake her up. Some good food would probably make her feel a lot better than going empty handed.

 

I made quick work of a decent meal and soup for her, plated it and knocked on the door.

 

“Mum?” I called out but didn’t get any response. With a heavy sigh I decided to just go in. “I’m coming in.” I called out again and opened the door but then froze with one foot in the room.  I had expected her to be in bed, huddle under the sheets still recovering but instead, she was sitting on the floor, her knees drown up, hugging them to her body while she looked at a photo album laid on the ground. She was crying. “Mum?” I gasped, moving quickly to lay the plate on the floor before sitting next to her. “What happened?” I asked but I already knew. She was missing dad. God! Give me a ridiculously hard day at work, a humiliating encounter, a failed test, anything! Anything was better than seeing her like this because nothing I do or say would make things better. I felt so helpless.

 

I pulled her into a hug and tried to comfort her, trying to be the stronger one when I was feeling like I was falling apart too.

 

We didn’t talk much. We didn’t have to. Just being there to support each other was enough.

 

Eventually mum settled enough to eat and then I helped her into bed. She needed more rest, which meant I needed to pick up my game if there was even the slightest chance for our family to survive. The way things were looking right now wasn’t exactly promising.

 

That was the reason why, when four days later Crimson Wings contacted me for a meet up with V, I accepted. They assured me that there wouldn’t be any ual contact; I just had to meet up with him. That was all and I would be getting another fat paycheck. I believed them. All I had to do was to remember the look of arrogance and disgust on V when he looked down at me the brief time we were in each others company to know that he would not want to touch me with a ten foot pole.

 

Besides I already had a pretty good idea of what he wanted to do. Probably humiliate me with his hoity attitude a little and warn me off Jungkook. Seriously, he was just wasting his money. I wasn’t going to be contacting or seeing Jungkook again anyways.

 

To get paid like that to tolerate a few choice insults? Yes please! I will do it any day. Things like that didn’t really get to me anymore. It helped that I didn’t give a what a pretty rich boy like him thought of me anyway.


A/N: I’ll give you guys a hint. The next chapter is going to be pretty darn dramatic :)

Please comment, subscribe and upvote if you liked.