Prologue - 2011

Don't Play Me!

Prologue


2011 - Seven Years Ago

Mina

 

I saw him sitting at our usual table staring at his hands and instantly knew something was wrong.

 

I picked up my pace but stopped short when I almost smacked right into Minjun when he cut into my path.

 

“What the heck Minjun?” I glared trying to look past him.

 

He cleared his throat like he was about to ask me the same question he has been asking me since the start of this year.

 

“Do you want to sit with me?” He blushed.

 

I felt bad, really I did but that was until I remembered how much Minjun enjoyed teasing Jungkook.

 

“No. And No.” I glared right back knowing very well the sad look on Jungkook’s face probably had something to do with this jerk standing in front of me now. “How many times do I have to say it before you can accept?”

 

“What do you see in him that I don’t have?” He looked genuinely offended and I really felt pity for this guy who was still a child but had a head that was about to explode with his arrogance.

 

I didn’t even bother answering him because I was in a hurry to get to Jungkook. I knew he must be hungry and we were already ten minutes into lunch hour. I was running late already.

 

I pushed past him and didn’t bother looking back when he called out my name. But I did see the way Jungkook’s head snapped up when he heard my name. Our eyes met and a small smile touched his lips. That was all it took to have me running.

 

“I’m sorry I’m late.” I called out sitting next to him but when I glanced at his profile I felt my heart drop. Not again.

 

“Those jerks!” I called out getting out my chair feeling furious but his hand shot out to stop me.

 

“Forget it.” He looked in Minjun’s direction. “I punched him back too.” He admitted with a careless shrug.

 

I felt my worry rise because Minjun was a bully and the fact that Jungkook punched him back meant that he was in for a full on battle with him in the future. But knowing it would hurt his pride to see me worrying about that, I let it slide for now.

 

“Did you have lunch yet?” I asked knowing he wouldn’t have brought any but I asked him anyway.

 

“I’m not hungry.” He replied like he always does.

 

“Kookie come on,” I teased. “You look too skinny. Here, have mine, I swear our housekeeper thing of me as pig. She always packs so much.” My lie was so obvious and we both knew it. It was not a coincidence that the size of my lunch bag had doubled ever since the first day I spoke to him. I laid out my lunch on the table and immediately he started munching on it.

 

I grinned watching him. Honestly, sometimes he would be so damn prideful but I know him enough to work around that.

 

We’ve been friends for year’s ever since that first day of middle school when I saw him sitting by himself in a uniform that looked old enough to be thrown away but it was only our first day at school.

 

You see, I come from a rich family. Him? Not so much

 

At first I pitied him and all I wanted to was help him out.

 

There was a reason why the dogs in our house was all from the pound or strays from the road rather than expensive breeding shops. I have always had a thing for the less fortunate. My parents called me too soft and I agreed. I got my feelings hurt easily because of the way I am but I couldn’t help myself.

 

Over the last few years that I’ve gotten to know him I realized that Jungkook may have little when it came to riches but he made up for it in spirit, talent and his damn big pride. I knew too that he would be going places, all I wanted to do was to give him a shoulder to lean on until that time came. So we became friends or more like I forced my friendship on him until he accepted me.

 

“How’s your audition practice coming along?” I asked and winced when he stopped his munching to give me an apprehensive look. “Don’t tell me you haven’t yet sent them you’re audition clip!” I was almost panicking myself and he was giving me this deer caught in headlight eyes as he just started at me with fear. “Jungkook!” I was almost screaming at him. He had been working so hard for this. How could he be pulling out at the last moment. He was so talented; I know he could make it, if he could just get over his fears and insecurities but he would never admit it out loud.

 

I took a deep breath, thinking what to do but first I had to make sure he doesn’t run away from this all.

 

“Forget it.” I shrugged. “Let’s just eat.” We both reached back into the food but I couldn’t eat more than a few mouthfuls.

 

Once he finished working his way through everything I got up to pack. “Come with me.” I held his hand leading him away. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me. It didn’t bother me but I knew it bothered him. So I pulled him a little closer to me.

 

I knew what everyone was thinking. What was I doing with him when I had Minjun coming after me. But they didn’t know Jungkook like I do because they never made the effort to actually get to know him. 

 

We stopped at the infirmary first and I cleaned up his face.

 

“Does it hurt?” I asked when he winced.

 

“A little.” He shrugged.

 

“Aww poor baby.” I teased and kissed his cheek. Instantly he started blushing and I laughed ruffling his hair. “You are so dang cute.” I grinned and he shook his head at me like he disapproved but couldn’t help but laugh along with me as well.

 

Once his face was all fixed up I pushed him to stand up again. “Let’s go. We have something to do.” I said hesitantly.

 

He gave me a confused look but followed me anyway. I stopped at our school gates, looking around impatiently.

 

“Is someone coming?” He asked me.

 

“You’ll see.”

 

Soon after I saw the car pull in and my driver got off with a bag in his hand. I felt Jungkook tense when he realized what is was. He let got of my hand and started walking away with a furious look in his face.

 

I sighed, I knew it wasn’t going to be easy.

 

“Thank you so much for coming so soon.” I called out to the driver while taking the bag.

 

“No problem miss.” He smiled. “Can I go now?” He asked before heading off when I nodded.

 

“Kookie.” I called out while running to catch up. “Come on, please?” I begged while he brushed me off.

 

“I don’t want to do it.” He glared at me.

 

“We both know that’s a lie Kookie.” I dug in both my feet trying to hold him in place. Finally he stopped and turned to me. “You remember that time when you sang for me for the first time?” I could feel the tear gathering in my eyes when I brought up that painful memory. He lifted his hand as if he wanted to comfort me but then let it drop. I was playing really really dirty at this point but I knew this was the push he needed. “Remember how much I cried when Sheeba had to be put down because someone ran her over while she escaped the leash while on a walk? Do you remember how long and hard I cried until you sang me to sleep?” I sniffled. “I told you that you had a voice that sounded like an angel and remember what you told me?” I pressed. “You told me this was you’re dream, so don’t stand there and lie to the both of us.”

 

“Why are you doing this?” He asked looking hurt and I hated it. Was I pushing him too much?

 

“Because I’m you’re friend.” I said but that wasn’t what I wanted to say but that’s entirely my secret to hold.

 

He signed, hanging his head down in defeat.

 

“What’s the worst that’s going to happen? If this fails then that’s fine, I will still be here for you.” I pulled him into a hug. I felt his arms go around me and he squeezed me so hard that I thought I was going pass out but then he let go.

 

“Promise?” He asked looking down at me.

 

“Promise.” I said with a grin, knowing I had won this. “In fact, if you don’t make it and then became jobless in the future, don’t worry about it because I’m going to marry you.” I teased trying to break the serious tension and this time we both laughed.

 

“You’re too much, Mimi.” He smiled, putting his arm around my shoulder to pull me close.

 

“On the other hand, if you do make it I’m sure you will have plenty others after you and you will forget all about poor old me.” I exaggerated a pout teasing again, instead of laughing he frowned.

 

“Never.” He vowed and I felt my heart clench. I wasn’t exactly sure how or when it happened but I knew that my feelings for him went well beyond friendship he thought it to be but I wouldn’t dare ruin any of this by admitting it aloud. I may have just been joking about it but I knew very well that it could be the reality and I was okay with that because Jungkook only needs one shot. One clear shot for people to know him and his talent and everyone is going to love him.

 

“Let’s go now and get you on camera. We have a deadline to meet.”

 


A/N: This is only the prologue and I hope it's decent enough to keep you interested. I'll post chapter 01 tomorrow.

Please leave a comment if you liked <3