Words

Thorned Rose

Yeonwoo's POV

We waited for the girls to arrive, it was taking them too long probably because the park was kinda huge and this spot is hidden from the majority of the park. I was enjoying the peacefulness of the surroundings.

The peacefulness never lasted and was washed away when I heard loud voices of a bunch of screaming ducks. I turned my head to the direction of the voices and the girls were shouting while running towards out direction. Jooe was the loudest among them.

 

"Yeonwooooo! Yah finally" Jooe screamed and the girls ran immediately to Jiyeon and embraced her.

 

"Where the hell is Ahin, Hyebin?" I asked Hyebin noticing that Ahin wasn't with them, she gave a meaningful look and I just shut up.

 

After the hugs and comfort, they asked me and Nancy how did we found Jiyeon, knowing Jiyeon, she always goes here with Ahin. She isn't the type of person to avoid places that brings back memories to the person who hurt her, instead she goes there to calm and compose herself back up.

 

People tend to avoid places which can trigger their memories of the person who brings them pain. People tend to do that to avoid suffering of their hearts. But behind these memories, there are always happy memories of that person, the ones who are worthy to remember, the ones who are worthy of your smile. We just always tend to look at the bad side of a situation and never look at the bright one.

 

"Where is Ahin?" Jiyeon asked the same question that I asked earlier. Hyebin smiled at her and signaled something with hands. In a blink of a moment, I saw Ahin running towards our direction. When she reached us, she immediately hugged her lover and kept saying sorry. We all smiled at the sight.

 

I looked at Nancy who was having a sad, more like a longing expression on her face while watching the two, although I know that she was happy for them.

We giggled like idiots when the couple broke the hug and lightly kissed. After that moment, we decided to stay on their apartment for the rest of the day before finally returning home.

 

Third Person POV

The girls went to the reunited couple's apartment and stayed there for the night. It was 9:00 in the night and they were on their pajamas while story-telling. They let Nancy tell a story first because they want the girl to be more comfortable of them.

 

"Once upon a time, there was a mute princess in a kingdom, her father and mother, the king and queen were ashamed of her and loathed her beause of her disability so they hid her existence from the rest of the kingdom, the king was very powerful and does not want to put shame on himself for having a mute child. She was locked in the basement of the palace and only the king and the queen together with trusted allies are only allowed to enter the place. The girl was only given food and clothes and she was left on her own, she never experienced her parents' love even once."Nancy started her story.

 

"One day, a knight of the palace decided to go down to the basement out of curiosity, he knew it was a great risk for he could be punished but he did it anyways. He saw the mute princess and talked to her but she didn't respond. He examined the place and it was quite dirty and he had no idea that the woman in front of him was a princess" Nancy continued and was cut off by Jooe.

 

"So did they fall inlove with each other" She asked Nancy like a kid who wants more bedtime stories. The other girls were quite sleepy but not because of boredom, but because Nancy was like a mother story-telling to her children, and afterall the whole group are a bunch of sleepyheads.

 

" Yeah of course, the knight knew that she was mute but still ever knew that she was a princess. One day, the knight gave her a rose as a symbol of his love for her but he warned her to be careful because it might pierce her skin. The girl smiled at him because for the first time, she had touched something from the outside world which she never had ever gone to before. The knight kept sneeking on to the basement everyday just to see the girl until the king saw him. The king ordered his knights to arrest the knight and punish him, without another thought, the king ordered the knight to be killed a a punishment and so they did. The princess knew about this and cried silently and held the rose ,that was given by the knight ,tightly. The next morning, the girl noticed that the rose's thorns had pierced her skin and there were alot of cuts that was on her arms, the end" Nancy ended her fairytale-ish story.

 

"What, that's it?" Jooe whispered, she wasnt satisfied of the ending of the story and was expecting to have a happy ending.

 

"Yes, that's it, sometimes in our lives, our story never ends very well leaving in us with cuts and holes in our hearts" Nancy deeply said to her. Jooe was amazed of this and noticed that the girls were already asleep except for her and Yeonwoo.

 

"Aww, that was deep baby Nancy, I'm also sleepy, goodnight" Jooe told her and hugged her, she was amazed of what the girl had said considering that she was younger than any of them but thinks very maturely.

Dabin was amazed of what she had heard from the girl, her words are deep and somehow had a hidden meaning behind it, she knew deep inside that Nancy might have gone into such situation for her to speak like that.

On the other hand, the Yeonwoo who was still listening to them frowned when she heard Jooe call Nancy "baby". Yeonwoo now decided to call it a day and went to the sofa to sleep and Nancy followed her.

 

The next morning, the girls bid goodbye to Ahin and Jane and went back to the town. The ride was smooth and fast that only lasted for almost an hour since it is not traffic considering it is still early. They opened the cafe and Hyebin now assigned what their role in the cafe will be so that there will be no staffs just walking around the cafe.

 

Hyebin and Jooe will be the ones to prepare food, Daisy will be the cashier alone, Nancy and Yeonwoo will be the waitresses while Nayun and Taeha together will be making drinks at the backroom with Hyebin and Jooe. 

 

The cafe was flooded with customers and the girls became very busy, they want to get all the customers so that they can earn a little more since they haven't opened in the past days, they all seem to enjoy what they are doing.

 

Nancy and Yeonwoo were serving food when suddenly, Nancy was bumped by a little kid who was playing around the cafe, making all the plates and glasses on the tray that she was carrying shatter and make a deafening sound. Nancy almost fell to the floor with  shattered pieces of glass when Yeonwoo's hand s around her waist and gripped it firmly to stop the fall.

Nancy stood up and composed herself before bending down and to see if the little boy who had bumped her was hurt.

 

"Are you okay?" she asked him in a soft voice and the littl boy just nodded still not having an idea of what he had done. Yeonwoo noticed that in a table with a woman around her 30s with a bunch of friends were glaring at Nancy. The woman stood up and walked towards their direction.

 

"What is all this commotion?" the woman told, more like scolded, Nancy with authority.

 

"I'm sorry ma'am" she told her and slightly bowing her head to show respect and sincerity.

 

"You nearly hurt my child" the woman increased the volume of her voice, trying to shame Nancy.

 

"You're new aren't you?, that wouldn't be a surprise since you are a clumsy, you lady" Yeonwoo heard this escape from the woman's mouth, it pissed her off.

 

"She said she's sorry ma'am, plus your kid are the one who bumped at her in the first place" Yeonwoo butted in, this diverted the woman's attention from Nancy to her.

 

"And why are you reasoning out, young lady?" the woman angrily told her.

 

"It is true that the little boy bumped into me, ma'am"Nancy said.

 

"You are the onlder one, you should be the one to be careful" the woman reasoned out, she was now making excuses to save her from humiliation of trying to put the Nancy to shame.

 

The people who were sitting near them already know the truth and was silently watching the scene in front of them, it is very obvious that the woman wants to shame the poor waitress.

 

"I already told you that your kid bumped into me while I was busy serving food" Nancy emphasized the word "serving", she looks calm and composed but dee inside she already wants to slap the woman on her both of her cheeks.

 

"Plus, you should be looking after your child" she added, it angered her the fact that she was busy chitchatting with her friends while her child is running around the place.

 

"Both of you, young ladies, don't show some respect, I'm a customer here remember that" the woman smirked at them.

 

"So what?, you're the one in the wrong path anyways, you're trying to shame someone who is clearly apologizing" Yeonwoo stated, she was so pissed- off that her fists were forming a ball.

 

"See that everyone, these people show no respe--" what the woman was about to say was cut off by Nancy.

 

"Look here woman" Nancy said in a voice showing no respect whatsoever. "If you looked after your child, first of all this won't happen. Next, you shouldn't blame everything to me since your kid was the first one to bump me causing this mess, in fact you owe the cafe plates and glasses"

 

"But I'm a---" the woman was cut off again.

 

"Shut up woman, you are clearly making excuses, the excuses are pathetic, yes you are a customer, but a b*tchy customer" Nancy stated making everyone in the cafe, including Daisy, clap and cheer for her.

 

Yeonwoo looked at the girl beside her, she was thankful that she was close to the girl while admiring her 'pissed-off' features. Nancy's jaw was clenched, her face is slightly red because of anger, her fists were curled into a ball and her narrowed eyes was giving deadly glares to the woman. Yeonwoo find it sinfully y.

 

The woman in front of them was ashamed and angered. She didn't open anymore and quickly went outside the cafe.

 

For Yeonwoo, Nancy's words at that moment show no respect, it is very strong and with authority. It was like a sharp dagger that can pierce anyone.