Secrets that we keep

ANIMALS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New York, USA

It was a hot day, probably hottest that year, and Ryeowook couldn’t be happier once he entered the apartment, after all day’s travelling back and forth from America to Korea. Even though it was his and Donghae’s shared apartment, yet he was surprised to see the latter sitting in living room, watching TV, wasn’t the other guy supposed to be at Jeju Island on a vacation with his hyung?

“Came back early?” Ryeowook asked, curious.

“His fiancé didn’t come, and he was driving me crazy. And I might be worried about you too, even if a little bit” Donghae replied, playfully. “I checked our accounts and we received remaining 300 million, so I can assume it went well?”

“Oh, hardly. Good thing I went there with backup.” Ryeowook answered, irritated.

“What happened?”

“I gave them the recording of the blast, but they said they wouldn’t pay us full since there was supposed to be a CD with those guys in a fire proof briefcase, so our task was unsuccessful and that CD is probably in NIA’s hands now.”

“They didn’t tell us anything about CD, just the guys and files.” Donghae scoffed. He hated when people lied in deals.

“Those idiots didn’t know either” Ryeowook said, amused at the situation of their partners. “Apparently their Chinese partners didn’t inform that they were sending a CD too. Only when everything blew up and they were feeling safe, did their Chinese partners bothered to tell about the CD.”

“What a bunch of idiots” Donghae laughed. “That’s some serious miscommunication. But that’s not our fault.”

“Yeah, but the Lees didn’t think so” Ryeowook sighed. “But don’t worry about it. Nothing a simple warning and Omega’s name can’t sort.”

“I wanted to see you threatening people” Donghae chuckled.

“Shut up” Ryeowook retorted “Just because I take care of IT part, doesn’t mean I’m no good on field. I can be quite intimidating if I want to. And I had some back-up with me, I told you.”

Donghae laughed and got up to prepare something to eat for his cousin and partner in crime. He knew his partner was useless on field, but Donghae wouldn’t be able to complete one mission without him. While Donghae was one of the best in combat, infiltration, assassinations and other field jobs, Ryeowook was his precious tech partner, who was in charge of hacking, breaking security, planning and making strategies. They were a famous pair in Omega, an American organisation, and always worked together. They were one of the costliest men in the Omega, full of world’s best mercenaries, yeah, these guys murdered for salary. It was an illegal organisation, of course, but no government ever took action against them, despite knowing about them, because people who hired Omega were not always criminals, but even politicians and rich businessmen. They were that dark part of society that everyone hated but could never avoid, because they did the dirty work for clean people, that those people couldn’t do themselves.

“When are we going back to Korea?” Ryeowook asked tired, “I need a break. How was Heechul hyung doing?”

“Don’t talk about Jeju” Donghae retorted, “Nothing went well in that ing vacation.”

“What happened?” Ryeowook asked with suspicion. What can possibly go wrong on a simple vacation on Jeju Island. But he had no idea what his cousin had in store.

“It started with your brother’s accountant boyfriend not showing up….”. By the time, donghae was done with his story, Ryeowook was rolling on floor, laughing, trying hard to take breath but still failing.

“Oh my god! You’re gay!!” He said, laughing merrily.

“NO! I AM NOT! Why are you being like this? I thought at least you would understand me” Donghae said, disappointed at his cousin’s reactions. He expected some understanding and advices on how to deal with the situation, but his cousins were quite useless in the matter, he realized.

 “So, what about Jessica now? Still dating her?”

“Of course I’m still dating her. Jeju was a big, ing mistake. And I won’t break Jess’s heart over my stupidity. Those 2 nights won’t change the fact that I do love my girlfriend”

“You love her? Or you’re scared that breaking up with her because of 2 nights with a guy might make you lose your last straw as a straight man?” Ryeowook deadpanned. He loved his cousin but Donghae was currently clearly using Jessica’s feelings for him to secure his place as a straight guy. This was only going to hurt both of them in the long run. “Why do you hate the idea of being gay anyways? Heechul hyung is bi-ual, you don’t seem bothered by that.”

“I don’t hate being gay, I’m just straight. That’s how I thought of myself ever since I grew up and now suddenly in not what I thought I was, all because of that red haired monkey looking guy” Donghae scoffed.

“He must be quite something to have you so attracted to him.” Ryeowook said with a playful smirk planted on his face.

“I am not attracted to him.”

“Yeah right. By the way, the CD that NIA got had contacts, apparently, ours too. So our people are not very pleased at the outcome. Chief is really worried over NIA and so is the LOTUS’ president.”

“Ralph? What does he want now?” Ralph Cruz, President of LOTUS bank, was the one who had this sneaky deal with the Omega, allowing such vague accounts for money transfer. His part was simple, accept the incoming money from clients and then safely transfer it all to the real accounts, which were usually in their native countries’ banks, Korean in case of Ryeowook and Dongh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter