Chapter 5

Better Better [Banginho/Minchan]

Chan came home in a fairly good mood. Granted, he was very stressed because of his stupid assignment and had decided to take the work from the library to the comfort of his living room. But his mood hadn’t dropped since he’d talked to Minho earlier today.

Kangmin was still at work, Chan figured as he spread his work on the coffee table, before heading to the kitchen and making himself some ramen. Food was the reason he’d come home in the first place. He made a mental note to go grocery shopping on Monday to avoid another egg situation when he checked the fridge to see if they still had any soda. They didn’t.

When Chan got back to the living room, he scanned over his work progress while slurping the noodles from his bowl. He wasn’t really satisfied with it, even though he’d tried really hard, but he simply wasn’t passionate enough about the whole business thing to give it his all.

Once he had finished his ramen, he took the bowl to the kitchen and washed it, mentally preparing for the work that was still ahead of him. He was good at focusing on his tasks (unless, he was in a library, hoping to coincidentally run into a gorgeous blonde dancer), so he figured that he’d most likely get everything on his agenda done before he could go to bed.

It was already 10pm and Chan was tired from working on this assignment all day, but he didn’t like to procrastinate, which is why he forced himself to stay awake and continue torturing himself with school work. He was almost glad that he was all alone, since he tended to be very quiet and distant when he was focusing and Kangmin sometimes took it a little too personally.

~

Chan stretched and checked his phone for the time. It was almost 1 in the morning and he’d gotten a huge migraine over the past few hours. His brain was beyond fried. He was just about to try calling his boyfriend when he heard the sound of keys rustling. The front door opened and Kangmin stepped inside, shedding his jacket, then proceeding to untie his shoes.

“Hey, how was work?” Chan questioned as he gathered his things. He was going to wash up quickly, too lazy and tired to take a full shower, before heading to bed. Kangmin looked tired as well. Chan knew how much he hated taking the late shifts at the 24/7 convenience store he worked at, plus the way from here to there wasn’t the shortest either.

“It was alright...I’m starving, though”, Kangmin answered, flopping down on the couch, placing his feet on the coffee table. He gave Chan a look. “Can you make some ramen for me?” he asked. Chan fidgeted uncomfortably. “I was actually just about to go to bed...”, he mumbled.

Kangmin sighed at the younger’s words, rolling his eyes. “Sure, go ahead...it’s just that I didn’t eat breakfast, as you know. Then I had a class this afternoon and went to work straight afterwards...but I’m sure I can handle cooking as well. Don’t let me stop you from going to sleep”, he said accusingly.

Chan felt a little pang of guilt in his chest as put his things back down on the table. Kangmin was the one who went to work to pay the rent for this place, so he supposed that making him food was the least he could do after a long day. He felt a little weird about it, though, after what had happened this morning. All he hoped for was that there wouldn’t be another misunderstanding.

“I guess you’re right...you should go and rest. I’ll make you something to eat...”, Chan gave in. Kangmin still seemed mad, though. He would apologize to him later. The younger was dead tired as he dragged himself to the kitchen and made another bowl of ramen. Don’t get him wrong, he didn’t mind cooking for his boyfriend, but it was different when his brain felt like it was trying to break through his skull.

Besides, since he didn’t feel hungry at all, due to having eaten a few hours prior, the thought of making food kind of felt repulsing to him. He went through with it anyways, since he didn’t want Kangmin to get mad at him again, or even worse, make him feel guiltier than he already did.

“Here you go...”, Chan said after finishing and filling the noodles into a bowl. Kangmin took them but still gave his boyfriend the silent treatment. The younger sat down next to him on the couch, his migraine only increasing by the minute. However, he knew that he wouldn’t be able to sleep if he didn’t get this out of the way first.

“I’m sorry about earlier...I was just about to head to bed because I was stressed and tired. I didn’t mean to be insensitive...” Kangmin didn’t answer immediately. The silence was long enough for Chan to contemplate to just him sulk and finally go to sleep, after all.

He was just about to get up when his boyfriend spoke up: “I get that you’re stressed and everything, but it’s the same for me, you know? You should really be more supportive, considering I’m the one paying the rent.” Chan lowered his head, feeling even guiltier than before.

“I’m sorry...”, he repeated. Kangmin made a disapproving sound in the back of his throat. “You’ve been apologizing a lot recently”, he pointed out. “I feel like you should make it up to me. It’s been a while”, the older suggested.

Chan frowned, knowing where Kangmin was going with this. Recently, with school and work, in Kangmin’s case, they’d barely had any time for each other. And even if they did spend time together, it mostly ended up with Kangmin being mad at Chan for something.

His boyfriend placed the empty bowl on the coffee table and put his hand on Chan’s thigh. “I’m really tired, though...”, the younger said, trying to subtly get out of this without pissing him off even more. Kangmin leaned in closer to kiss him. “I’ll make it quick”, he mumbled against his lips. Chan fought the urge to sigh. He wasn’t in the mood at all, but he didn’t want to make Kangmin mad again. Besides, it really had been a while. Not that Chan had really found himself missing it...

"Not tonight, okay."

"Fine... have it your way, then," Kangmin said coldly and backed away, disappearing in their bedroom, slamming the door.

I changed the ending of this chapter a bit.