Chapter 3

Better Better [Banginho/Minchan]

It had been one week since Minho had met Chan. He still couldn't wrap his head around his boyfriend's -behavior. Why did Chan stay with him if was being treated like that? If Minho hadn't been interested in Chan before he'd even known about his sorry excuse of a boyfriend, he definitely was now. The whole incident had woken some kind of protectiveness in him.

After seeing the older being talked to like this, he had had to fight the urge to just step in front of him and shield him from Kangmin's intense stare and demanding personality. He couldn't help but ask himself if it had always been like this between the two of them. He hoped that it hadn't. He barely knew Chan, but he wanted the older to be happy. This relationship didn't seem to be doing the trick, though.

All Minho knew was that he wanted to grow closer to Chan at all cost. He'd enjoyed talking to him. Maybe he couldn't woo him the way he wanted (because even if his boyfriend was a prick, Minho wasn't a home-wrecker) but he would try to become a good friend to him, at least.

~

Minho headed home after dance practice, his mind still completely occupied with the curly-haired boy. Chan was cute...really cute, even. Minho smiled to himself at the thought of him. Bumping into him at the library might have just been the best thing that had happened to him all semester.

He unlocked his front door and stepped inside, shedding his shoes and jacket. His first stop was the bathroom where he took a quick shower, before stepping back outside and drying off. He put on sweats and then made his way to the fridge. He grabbed a bottle of water and went to the living room, sitting down on the couch and absent-mindedly turning on the TV. The dancer looked around the spacious room.

Maybe he should get a roommate. This place was too big for him alone and while the rent was no problem, he did feel a little bit lonely all by himself. His friends occasionally slept over, but that was about it. They all lived in the student dorms or already had roommates.

Minho didn't like being on his own, which is why he had formed a dance crew back in high school; to spend more time with his friends in his free time. He sighed and leaned back into his cushions. His thoughts wandered back to Chan once again. Minho knew he should probably get him out of his head, but it was hard to forget those gorgeous brown eyes, his goofy laugh and those cute dimples.

He usually didn't believe in love at first sight, but he was just about ready to reconsider.

~

Chan woke up alone. He sighed, looking around in the small apartment he shared with Kangmin. It didn't seem like his boyfriend had bothered to come home the previous night. Chan had waited up until around 3am, while working on some stuff for school, occasionally trying to call and text his boyfriend, only to be ignored.

He crawled out of bed and proceeded to get ready for the day; taking a shower, getting dressed and trying to tame the mess of brown curls on his head. The lock clicked open when Chan was in the middle of brushing his teeth. He quickly finished up before leaving the bathroom only to see Kangmin enter the apartment, looking completely unbothered.

"Hey...I waited for you to come home last night. I was worried...why didn't you call?" Chan questioned, effectively getting the older's attention. He gave him a smile. "I'm sorry", he said in a tone that didn't sound apologetic at all. "You know I was working late last night. My friend lives closer to the store, so I crashed there last night. I was exhausted when I got off work. Think about me for once, will you?"

Chan lowered his head, feeling bad instantly. "You're right, I'm sorry. I was just worried..." Kangmin flopped down on the couch, not answering. "Were you gonna make breakfast? I'd love some scrambled eggs", he said, instead. Chan wasn't much of a breakfast person, which Kangmin was well aware of, but the younger knew that it was just his way of asking him to do it. He'd gotten used to it, so he didn't mind anymore

"Sure, I was just about to make some...", Chan lied and headed to the kitchen. He got the last few eggs and some bacon out of the fridge before reaching for a pan in one of the top shelves of the tiny kitchen. He made the bacon first, while setting the table in the living room. Luckily, making bacon and eggs didn't take that long. Once everything was finished, he took it to the living room before heading back to the kitchen to get Kangmin a glass of orange juice.

Kangmin sat at the wobbly living room table when Chan came back, eyeing his breakfast a little disapprovingly. "Something wrong?" the younger asked. Kangmin looked at him. "I thought I said I wanted my eggs sunny side up", he told Chan, whose eyes widened. "No, you didn't! You said scrambled!" he argued.

Kangmin raised his eyebrow. "Pretty sure, I didn't." Chan wasn't sure what to say. He knew that Kangmin had asked for scrambled eggs. Besides, it didn't make a difference anyway. Eggs were eggs, at least to Chan. "Can you make new ones?" Kangmin questioned, pushing the plate away, like the thought of having to eat scrambled eggs disgusted him.

"We're out of eggs...", Chan answered in a small voice. His boyfriend clicked his tongue. "Great...", he said, rising from his seat. The older went to their shared bedroom without further words, closing the door behind himself with a little too much force. Chan flinched at the sound.

He looked at the abandoned plate of scrambled eggs and sat down on the chair Kangmin had occupied just a second ago. He was still sure that his boyfriend had told him to make scrambled eggs and a slight, stinging feeling of unfairness erupted in his gut, causing tears to well up in his eyes.

It was a ridiculous thing to cry about, but Chan couldn't really help it. Sometimes it just came over him, triggered by the smallest things; like a misunderstanding over breakfast. He didn't know why he couldn't be good enough for his boyfriend anymore. They used to be different together and he wasn't entirely sure what had changed. 

Maybe it was his fault.

Kangmin came out of the bedroom, causing Chan to quickly wipe at his eyes. The older didn't spare him a glance, though, instead just heading for the bathroom. A good minute later, the sound of running water filled the silence. Chan got up and packed his things, before heading out to the library, new tears continuing to run over his cheeks.