Chapter 13

Better Better [Banginho/Minchan]

Minho had to admit that he felt more than just a little down when he got a text from Chan, telling him that he couldn’t make it to the showcase. He texted him asking him if he was okay, but all he got in response was a pretty unsatisfactory ‘yea...’ Something in his gut told Minho, that this was probably about Kangmin.

Hyunjin patted his shoulder. “We’re up in 10 minutes. Are you okay?” he asked. Minho nodded. “Yeah...I’m good”, he said. Was he, though? He had been looking forward to seeing Chan here today. But what bugged him even more than him not showing up was that he was down again, most likely because of his boyfriend.

He exhaled. There was no point in getting distracted now.      

~

“How long are you going to ignore me?” Kangmin asked a few hours after their little fight. Chan was sitting on the floor at the coffee table, studying. He thought about going to the library, but he figured that if he did that, his boyfriend would just find a way to make it seem like he was running from him. He wouldn’t be entirely wrong about that, though.

“I’m not ignoring you, I’m studying”, Chan said without looking up. Kangmin scoffed and sat down on the couch, as the younger’s phone vibrated. It was lying around on the table and Chan was about to check it, but Kangmin snatched it up before he could.

“Give it back, Kangmin...”, Chan snapped. “It’s from Minho. Apparently, he missed you today and...would you look at that”, Kangmin said sarcastically, turning the phone so Chan could see the selfie Minho had attached to his message. Chan got to his feet, trying to get his phone back, but Kangmin had also gotten up, now holding the phone out of his reach. “Give it back!” the younger repeated.

“I think you should stay away from this guy! He doesn’t have a good influence on you”, Kangmin said, still not bothering to hand Chan his phone back. The younger jumped up, trying to get it but to no avail. “I am 21 not eight! Minho’s nice to me, we’re friends!” “Oh, I’m sure he’s nice to you...I don’t trust him. What’s so nice about him?” Kangmin asked him.

“Well, for one he offers to get me coffee when I’m studying and-” “He comes to our house only to bring you coffee?” the older interrupted him sharply. Chan didn’t appreciate being interrupted like that, but Kangmin was getting angrier and Chan couldn’t help but think back to the night of the party; the glint in the older’s eyes as he’d threatened him.

I’ll kill you

“I-I mean I haven’t asked him before...but he would do it if I did...”, Chan said. Kangmin raised his eyebrows. “Really...well let’s see...” He turned away from his boyfriend, typing something on his phone. Chan tried to snatch it from his hands again, but Kangmin pushed him away.

“What are you doing?” Chan asked him. “I want to have a chat with him. Let’s see if he really shows up here with coffee only because you called for him”, Kangmin told him. Chan didn’t think he’d ever heard his boyfriend speak with so much hatred in his voice. “And what are you going to do to him when he does? Scare him away like the few other friends I had before?” he asked desperately. He didn’t want to lose Minho. He couldn’t.

Kangmin didn’t answer his question, instead, he checked Chan’s phone again, scoffing when it lit up with a notification. “He’ll be here in 10”, he said in a mocking tone. Chan’s insides clenched together. “Kangmin, stop this. What are you going to gain from this?” he asked.

“I’m trying to prove a point here! Now, sit down and wait!” Kangmin snapped. It wasn’t just the harshness in his tone that made Chan do as he was told, but also the fact that his boyfriend had that scary look in his eyes again. He just hoped that Minho wouldn’t get hurt.

~

Minho climbed up the stairs with Chan’s coffee order in his hands. He was glad that he got to see him today, even if he couldn’t make it to the showcase. This way, he could tell him in person about how well the team had done. He smiled to himself as he knocked on the older’s door, waiting for him to open.

The smile fell when he wasn’t faced with Chan, but his idiot boyfriend who looked anything but amused. Kangmin stepped outside, shutting the door behind him and glaring at Minho.

“Who do we have here...”, the taller male almost growled. Minho raised a defensive eyebrow. “I’m just here to bring Chan coffee”, he said, holding up the Starbucks cup. Kangmin threw his head back and laughed. “Sure, you are. Since you seem to come running whenever he calls for you!”

Minho was slightly worried that this guy was turning slightly insane. “Um...what do you-” “You should really stop hitting on my boyfriend!” Kangmin interrupted him sharply. This time Minho was the one who had to laugh. “Please, if I really was planning to steal your boyfriend from you, I already would have!” he spat.

Kangmin slapped the coffee out of Minho’s hand and pushed him against the opposite wall with force. Minho hadn’t expected Chan’s boyfriend to get violent so quickly. The older man grabbed him by the collar and took a swing. He already braced himself for impact when the door opened again, and Chan stepped out.

“Would you stop it already! Stop driving my friends away!” he exclaimed. Minho freed himself from Kangmin’s grip and glared at him. The latter still looked like he wanted to punch him in the face, but he turned away and stormed back into the apartment. Chan looked at Minho.

“Are you okay? I’m so sorry about this...”, he said apologetically. Minho waved off. “I’m fine...”, he replied. “He’s crazy. Maybe you should stay with me for the night...”, he offered, looking past the older into the apartment. He couldn’t see Kangmin, but the thought of Chan being in the same room as that guy made his protectiveness come back up full force.

“No, I’ll be okay...”, the older declined. Minho furrowed his brows. “Are you sure?” he asked. Chan nodded. “I’m sorry...”, he apologized again. “I’ll see you later, okay?”

Minho wanted to stop Chan from closing the door and convince him to come with him, but if he was sure about staying, he wouldn’t force him.

“Sure...see you later...”, he muttered instead. Chan closed the door and Minho sighed before making his way back to his car.