Chapter 8

The Vampire and The 'Shifter

Yuto and Yanan were helpful around the house, making sure things were picked up and such. They weren't asked to clean up but it was grateful. As a way of saying thanks Chani made sure they had plenty of food. Jaemin even helped out, when he wasn't busy learning to hunt better with Sungyeol.

"Why did Chani tell me to teach you how to hunt?" Asked Sungyeol as he stalked after a herd of deer with Jaemin on his back for the time being. "I don't know," said Jaemin. "Apparently I'm not that good," he said. "Apparently," said Sungyeol as he let Jaemin get off his back as they stopped near a herd of deer. "Go after the doe, that's the one without antlers," he said. "Got it," said Jaemin as he dropped his human illusion, stalking after the doe. Sungyeol moved around to the other side of the herd, waiting until Jaemin made his move as he tried to keep his hunting instincts at bay.

He waited until Jaemin pounced before tackling the largest buck in the herd, quickly draining it as the rest of the herd scattered. He was aware of Jaemin holding on for dear life as the doe he had launched himself at bucked around. It forced everything ounce of self control he had to come forward, freezing in place as he watched to make sure Jaemin was alright. When Jaemin was finally thrown from the doe Sungyeol had enough and pounced on the doe, breaking his neck. His eyes were pitch black as his hunter instincts were still there, turning to Jaemin.

"S-Sungyeol," said Jaemin as he put up his human illusion, backing away slowly. "Don't move," Sungyeol commanded, trying to reel in his hunting instincts as he closed his eyes. That caused Jaemin to freeze, watching Sungyeol with wide eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked after a few minutes. "I'll be fine," Sungyeol said, opening his eyes, shaking his head.

Jaemin sighed in relief. "I thought I was a goner," he said. "Sorry," Sungyeol said, chuckling some. "Want one or both?" He asked, turning to both deer. "Just the buck is fine," said Jaemin as he got up. Sungyeol nodded and went to drain the doe of blood, hearing Jaemin shudder slightly before going to bury it. "Sorry," said Sungyeol. "It's alright," said Jaemin as he went to help bury the doe. They headed back with the buck afterwards.

"How'd it go?" Asked Chani once they got back. "Not so well," said Sungyeol as he gave the buck to Myungsoo to skin and get venison steaks from. "It got away this time?" Asked Chani. "I almost lost it out there," said Sungyeol. "Oh," said Chani. "Okay, no more going out with Jaemin then," he said. "I keep telling you it's a bad idea," Sungyeol said with a snort. "Go pick up Yuto and Yanan, it's your turn," said Chani. "Sure," said Sungyeol before he went to clean up and look presentable before leaving in the jeep to go pick up Yanan and Yuto.

The drive into Toronto wasn't that bad. It was what was waiting for in front of Yuto's Starbucks that had him on edge. "Just what I needed, more shifters," grumbled Sungyeol as he spotted Yuto walk out of the Starbucks with a bag of pastries. Yuto went straight to the jeep and got in, ignoring the 'shifter outside the Starbucks as he closed the door. "Go, Yanan will meet us somewhere else," he said. "Where?" Asked Sungyeol as he drove off. "Mall where you met Hoetaek," said Yuto. "On it," said Sungyeol as he drove towards said mall.

"Who was that?" Asked Sungyeol. "I don't know, he was just standing there when you dropped us both off this morning," said Yuto. "I told Yanan to go to the mall where you met Hoetaek and he went and spent the whole day there it seems," he said. Sungyeol hummed in response as he pulled up to the entrance where Yanan was waiting. Yanan quickly got into the backseat and Sungyeol drove out of the parking lot, heading home.

There was a call and Sungyeol picked up, putting the phone on speaker as he put it on the dock. "What's up?" Asked Sungyeol. "What the hell was Jinho doing in front of Starbucks?" Came Hoetaek's voice. "That's who was standing there?" Asked Yanan. "I recognize that haircut anywhere," said Hoetaek.

"The group chat didn't say anything about going after you," said Yanan. "Must've been looking for Yuto," said Hoetaek. "Or me," said Yanan. "But there's nothing there to go off of, no one said anything about it," he said. "You do realize, that they might be keeping you there on purpose?" Asked Yuto. "They might be in a separate chat," he said. Hoetaek cursed. "Damn it, I never thought of that," he said. "Old man," snickered Yuto. "Shut up," said Hoetaek.

"Anyway, what'd you call for?" Asked Sungyeol. "I'm coming over, I found some time to get away while also getting paid for finding vampires for more hunters," said Hoetaek. "None of us?" Asked Sungyeol. "I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you if that was the case," said Hoetaek.

"I met Chani's friend too, Zuho and his pack of dogs was it?" He asked. "Yeah," said Sungyeol. "I'm heading out with them, I'll see you guys soon," said Hoetaek before he hung up. Sungyeol sighed. "Talkative today," remarked Yanan. "Must really miss you," Yuto said with a snicker. "Well," grumbled Sungyeol as he focused on driving.

They got home just as Hoetaek pulled into the driveway, pulling up next to Hoetaek's car and getting out once Sungyeol put it in park. Chani came outside with Myungsoo and Sungjong.

"Took you guys long enough," said Chani. "Sorry, was dealing with things," said Zuho as he shrugged. Jaehwan snorts. "First my pack decides to go after me, then we find out our informant was being tailed by his own pack," he said.

"You two are both the main alphas?" Asked Yanan. "Yes but we're fine," said Jaehwan. "Open environment and things," he said. "Man, it was nice to be human for once," Seongwoo said, stretching. Jihoon snorts. "You're just happy we don't have to run everywhere for a bit," he said.

"We'll have a talk inside," said Chani as he turned his attention to Sungyeol. "You look like you have something big to say," he said. Sungyeol snorts. "Well, we have another 'shifter after us," he said. "Again, god damn it," said Sungjong. "I told you this was a bad idea," he said.