Chapter 8

Puzzle

No POV

Jieun is holding Dino at gun point. She pushes him in front of the Seventeen members who are holding Dreamies captive. They are now face to face in the center of the building. 

"Ji-Jieun noona." Seventeen members stutter out. "What are you doing?"

"Where is Jisung?" Jieun asks, her aura ice cold. "Where is he?"

"We...we don't know." Dreamies shake their heads. "We lost track of him when we tried to escape." Jaemin tries to explain.

"Let them go." Jieun orders Seventeen.

"Why are you doing this? Why are you helping them?" Hoshi asks.

"Let go of them and tell me where Jisung is!" Jieun shouts at them. Jieun sees movement from her peripheral vision and she points the gun in that direction.

"N-noona." Jisung stutters.

Jieun relaxes. "Jisung-ah, are you ok?"

He nods. "I-I'm fine."

"Why are you doing this?" Mingyu repeats Hoshi's question.

"You," Jieun starts. "are threatening my babies right now."

"What?" Seventeen yelps.

"Your captives. I raised them for eight years. They're my babies. How dare you use them as hostages. Release them or I'll shoot Dino." 

"You're not se-"

Jieun shoots Woozi in the leg and he screams in pain. "Try me."

"Jieun noona." Seventeen said. "We don't want to hurt you."

"And I don't want to hurt you. But I will if I have to. Let go of my babies."

"Let them go." Seungcheol orders.

"But the big boss-" the others protest and Seungcheol cuts them off.

"It's ok." Seungcheol said. "I'll deal with him."

Seventeen let go of Dreamies and Jieun let go of Dino.

"I'm sorry, Dino-ah."

Dino shakes his head. "It's ok." He whispers and returns to Seventeen's side.

"I'll let you have the 75% of this territory if you hand over 75% of the other territory." Taeyong bargains. "You said that this territory has more benefits for you guys right?" Seungcheol nods. "WinWin." Taeyong said. 

"Ok." Without any more words from Taeyong, WinWin grabs a black case from a corner of the building and walks towards Woozi. "Let me see your leg." 

"I'm sorry about this, Seungcheol." Jieun apologizes when they are getting ready to leave.

"It's ok. I called to inform you about this negotiation because I didn't want anyone to get hurt, NCT and Seventeen. I didn't want you to choose, but you can clearly choose without hesitation." Seungcheol laughs. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine." Jieun said. "They're not hurt. That's all that matters. Woozi-ah, I'm sorry I shot you. You guys were really testing my limits."

"Well, at least I'm not dead." Woozi said. "I'm sorry for taking your boys hostage. I didn't know."

"Yeah, not many people know. I really didn't want them to be a part of NCT, but I can't stop them. They won't listen, so I thought it'd be best to just support them."

"Man, to shoot Woozi whom you've known for two years. It's no joke when people mess with your boys, huh?" Joshua asks.

"I'll kill anyone who hurts my boys." Jieun said parting with Seventeen.

Lucas POV

"Charizards are red. Squirtles are blue. If you were a Pokemon, I would choose you." I said to Jieun as we make our way to the car.

"Are you sure I should be coming along with you guys?" Jieun ignores me and asks Taeyong.

"Sure." He shrugs. "I mean you're the legal guardian of Dreamies now."

"Are you really gonna trust me?"

"You don't want us to?" Jaehyun asks.

"I'm a bad person, y'know. Aren't you afraid that one day I'll get kidnapped and tortured to tell the enemies your hideout?"

"Well, when that day comes, we won't blame you." Taeyong said. "Torture is well...torture. We can't do anything about it."

"Then maybe I shouldn't go." Jieun said stopping in her tracks. "I don't want to endanger Dreamies like that."

"Noona, it'll be fine. We trust you." Jaemin said.

Jieun shakes her head. "No. I...torture...no. I don't think I can do it. I won't be able to keep it a secret."

"It'll be ok." Taeil reassures her.

"I can't. I really can't." She shakes her head. Taeyong looks at me and I nod.

"Let's go princess." I said carrying her like a sack of potatoes.

"Eeek." She shrieks. "Let me down. Let me down!"

"Stop yelling. That's gonna tell more people where our hideout is." WinWin said making her quiet down. I toss her in the car. 

"Hold up." She protests. "I came in my own car. I will leave in my own car." She push me to the side and exit our car.

"Wait? Where's your car?" I ask.

"Don't worry about it." She said walking in the dark.

"Wait! It's dangerous to go alone!" I run after her.

"You don't have to come with me." She said. "I came alone, I can go back alone.

"I'm already here." I shrug. We stop at a place with a lot of trees. I look around. "Where's your car?"

"There is no car." She said.

"Wait? What?" I'm taken back by her words. 

She walk towards me and I walk back towards the trees. "I lured you here to kill you." She said. "I'll kill the other NCT members off, one by one. You just happen to be the first one." I trip and fall back onto something. She bursts out laughing. "I'm just playing idiot. Get off my car." 

"Eh?" I look under me and realize I'm sitting on the hood of her car. I get off the hood and she pushes the branch off her car. She knows how to hide cars in the middle of nowhere. She opens the car door and enters. "You coming, idiot?" She smiles.

"Did the sun come out or did you just smile at me?" I said to her.

"Or it's the car light." She deadpan.

"The car light is not on?"

She turns it on immediately. "It is now."

I laugh. "Ok." I give her directions to the NCT hideout. "I'm afraid of the dark...will you sleep with me tonight?" I ask turning to her when she stops in front of our hideout.

"Don't get involved with a bad person like me. Get out." She orders and I comply. 

"Coming in?"

She shakes her head. "No. I'm sure they don't want to see me. Especially Taeyong. Dreamies can sleep here if they want. Just tell them to go to school tomorrow." She says and drives off.

"Where's Jieun noona?" Dreamies ask when I enter the house.

"She didn't want to come in. She also said that you boys can sleep here but remember to go to school tomorrow."

"Our school bags are at home." Renjun said.

"Why are you saying it as if this is not your home?" Taeyong asks.

"Cause we sleep there more than we sleep here?" Jeno answers.

"Well, its not like we really need our bags." Haechan said.

"True. Thank goodness we're too lazy to carry our books home." Jisung nods.

"No. You're too lazy." Jaemin said. "We don't carry our books home because we don't want to lose it."

"Or get it ruined when goes down around here." Chenle adds.

" is not gonna go down around here." Ten states.

"You don't know that." Haechan said.

"There's a reason why this house is called a hideout." WinWin concludes. 

"Stop arguing. Just go to sleep. You boys have school tomorrow." Taeyong orders.

"Says the person who let us stay out late." Haechan mumble.

"What was that?"

"Nothing!" Dreamies said dragging Haechan to their room. "Good night!"

After they disappear from sight, Taeyong speaks up. "Jieun showed up today. With a gun. Another reason to suspect her, to be more cautious of her."

"C'mon." I said. "Seungcheol called her up. They could've provided her the gun."

"I don't think so." Mark shakes his head. "Seventeen was clearly surprised that she showed up." A tense atmosphere falls upon us.

"It's late. Let's not think about this." Johnny said.

"Yeah." We agree and head off to bed.

*******************************************************

"Did the sun come up or did you just smile at me?" 

"You already used that on me yesterday. And the sun is out." Jieun answers.

"If I could rearrange the alphabet, I would put 'U' and 'I' together."

"Too bad. 'N' and 'O' is already next to each other. So! What do you guys want coming here so early in the morning?"

"I would like some coffee." I said looking at the menu. "How about a caramel macchiato?"

"Sure. $6.68." I pay for the coffee. "And what about you Taeyong?"

"Mm~ One americano."

"Hot or iced?"

"Iced." 

"$6.55."

"Hey, his was cheaper than mine." I whine.

"I like him more than you." She replies.

"Really?" Everyone in the shop said in sync.

"No. Of course not."

"So you like me better?" I ask.

"I hate both of you." She deadpan and help Kun make the drinks.

"Well then, I'll get going." Areum said.

", where?" Jieun asks.

"On a date. It was cut short last time cause Dreamies got in trouble at school."

"What does Dreamies have..." she stares at Taeyong then Areum. "Excuse me." She pulls Areum to the side and they whisper to each other.

Jieun POV

"You were on a date with Taeyong?" I whisper. "Why?"

"Cause he asked me out on a date." Areum answers nonchalantly.

"W-Wait. He likes you?"

"The does that mean . I'm likable."

"Sorry. Wrong choice of words. That's not what I meant. But, ok, do you like him?"

"He's hot."

"Obviously a yes." I said. 

"This is all? I'm out." Areum pulls away from me.

"Wait!" I pull her back. "Take Lucas with you."

"He's an adult. He'll leave if he wants to. Bye, bestie."

"Ah, don't leave him here!" I shout as Areum and Taeyong exits the door.

"And they're gone." Lucas said next to me. I turn to him and our faces almost hit each other. 

I pull away from him. "What the? Not so close, man."

Lucas chuckles at my words. I went to sit at the usual table and look out the window. 

"What's wrong?" Lucas asks.

"Nothing." I answer. "Just thinking."

"Hey, about yesterday..." he trails off.

"Hm? What about it?"

"How did you learn to hide the car in an isolated place like that?"

"I read it in a book."

"Interesting. What is the book called?"

"None of your business."

"Hey, do you...really hate me?"

"Hey...I have a name."

"Park Jieun, do you really hate me?"

"What do you want me to say Lucas? That I don't hate you. Fine. I don't hate you." He raise his brows. "I'm leaving. Please watch the shop. Call me if you need me."

"Ok." Kun said.

"Can I follow you? Cause my mom told me to follow my dreams."

I roll my eyes and walk out with Lucas trailing behind me. I walk in the busy streets and feel many people's eyes on me. I turn around and Lucas was behind me. He was smiling and waving at random girls making them squeal and giggle. I roll my eyes and try to walk as fast as possible to get away from him. Which is stupid thinking because he has long legs and catches up to me quick.

"Don't walk so fast. I almost lost you in the crowd."

"That was the plan." I said still trying to get rid of him with my fast pace.

"Do you like books?" Lucas asks staring at the building in front of us.

"No." I shake my head entering the bookstore. I walk around looking at the different types of books. I read the summaries of every book that seems interesting. Suddenly I hear loud giggles disrupting my peace and I look up to find the source. Lucas was talking to a group of girls.

"What's your name, beautiful?" 

The girls blush and giggle, falling for his stupid pick up lines. He turns to me and I look away immediately rolling my eyes and walking off to a different section away from them. I pick up another book reading it's summary.

"What are you reading?" I hand him the book and walk off. "How to get away with murder. Wow. Wait! Jieun!" He runs after me.

"Don't talk to me." I said searching a different section. "Go talk to those stupid girls."

"Are you jealous?" Lucas smirks.

I scoff. "You're so full of yourself. I'm trying to ignore those daggers those girls are throwing at me after you left their side." Lucas look back at those girls and blows them a kiss.

"What?" He asks when he realize I was staring.

"Disgusting." I said walking out of the bookstore.

"Babe, wait for me."

"I'm not your babe. Don't call me that. People will misunderstand."

"I don't mind if they do."

I stop in my tracks. "Lucas, don't waste your time. You're not gonna get anything out of me by flirting."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"I know you're trying to get something out of me. I don't know what it is, but I'm not gonna play your stupid game." I said leaving Lucas speechless. "And tell Taeyong to stop before it's too late."

Areum POV

"So...amusement park, huh?" 

"You don't like it?" Taeyong asks.

I shake my head. "I do. It's...been awhile since I've last been to one. Brings back memories." I smile and wait in line to buy tickets. 

"Yay~ let's go." I shout excitedly when I receive the tickets. We enter and I run inside like a little kid. I stop in my tracks and run back towards Taeyong, grabbing him by the hand, and running towards a random ride.

"You want to ride this one?" He asks looking at the haunted ride in front of us.

I nod. "Yeah. Why? Are you scared?"

"I'm not scared." He said with his usual poker face.

"Then let's go." I drag him along with me. "I'm so excited." I said sitting down on the seat. "Are you?"

"Uh...sure." He nods.

"Whooo~" I shout as the ride starts. We enter a dark tunnel and suddenly green lights turn.

"Aaaah!" Taeyong screams, as a girl with long hair jumps out atus, while I laugh. We continue on the ride. There were killer clowns and skeletons chasing our cart. I laugh at the thrill while Taeyong screams for the cart to go faster.

"They won't be able to catch up." I said giving his hand a squeeze. "Don't worry."

We got to another dark space and suddenly a blue light turn on emphasizing an item. 

"Is that a well?" I ask furrowing my brows. Suddenly, a female crawls out of it and rushes towards us as our cart quickly retreats. 

"Aaaaah~" Taeyong screams, squeezing my hand hard, at the sudden speed and horror.

"And you said you weren't scared." I said as we got off the ride. "Are you alive?" He slowly nods. "You look like your soul left your body." I giggle.

"I...I need to rest." He said staggering on his feet.

"Ok. Let's rest." I nod supporting him to the nearest bench. I lay him down. "I'll be back." I said and run off to buy him a drink. "Here you go."

"Thanks." He sits up accepting the drink.

"Are you ok now?"

"Kinda." He nods.

I stand up. "Good, because that was the beginning. Let's go on that one next." I point to a very big roller coaster with many loops.

"Uh...you...you want to go in that one." He gulps.

I nod. "But If you're too scared, I can go alone. I don't mind."

"U-um...isn't there any other rides you want to go on?"

"Sure. How about that one." I point to a cart that swings the cusomers 360 vertically. "Or that one." I point to a sling that shoots us 260ft off the ground. "Or that one." I point to the drop that drops customers 240ft from the sky.

"Uh..." he trails off staring at the options and gulp. "Is this really a family amusement park?" 

I laugh. "I'll go alone."

"I-I-I'll come with you." He offers.

"Are you sure?" I ask which he frantically nods to. "Ok. Which one to you want to suffer on first."

After all the rides, Taeyong can barely stand on his feet.

"Are you ok?" I ask half laughing and half worried. He just quietly nod his head. "Should we get something to eat?" Again,he silently nods his head. "Can you stand?" With shaky hands and legs, he tries to stand and fail. I hold onto him and support him to a table at the food court.

After our meal, Taeyong takes me home.

"Did you enjoy today?" He asks quietly.

I nod. "It was wonderful. I love it."

"Good." He said and looks at my house. "You don't live with Jieun?"

I laugh. "No, I don't. Well, not anymore anyways."

"Why?"

"When we first moved to this city, it was just the three of us: Jieun, me and Jisung. But after meeting Dreamies, the house was too full so I moved here alone."

"When did you first move here?"

"Eight years ago. Jieun meets Dreamies a few months after moving here."

"Are you mad that Dreamies took your spot?

I laugh. "Not at all. They're all so cute. I can never hate them. I raised them along with Jieun; they're like my babies too. Though I'm not as obsessed and protective."

"Do you get lonely living here alone?"

I slowly nod. "Definitely lonely. But we have the coffee shop nd we're kinda there a lot of the time so..." I laugh to ease the atmosphere a bit. "Um, anyways, thanks for bringing me home. Do you want to come in for coffee or..."

"No, it's fine. Thank you for the offer. I actually have to go now."

"Ah~ ok." I slowly nod. "Bye~" I wave at him.

"Bye." He replies before driving off.

Taeyong POV

We listen to bug in the coffee shop and obviously nothing is happening. As always.

"Taeyong, I think Jieun knows." Lucas said.

"Knows what?"

"What we're doing. Getting information on them."

"How do you know that?"

"She told me to tell you to stop before it's too late." Lucas said.

"Sorry, I'm late." Areum enters the coffee shop, diverting our attention. "Kun, you can finally go home now."

"It's ok." Kun chuckles. "It's not like I have much to do at home anyways."

"Oh?" Areum said. "Well, anyways, take care. Get home safely."

"Thanks." Kun said.

"Aaaand he's gone." Areum said. 

"Areum-ah~" Jieun coos. "So? How was it?"

"How was what?" 

"You know. The date." Areum tells Jieun about the date and they both giggle. NCT turns to me.

"Seems like you enjoyed your date." Ten said.

"Despite the fact that I screamed like a little the whole time on the rides, it was ok." I shrug.

"You also held her hand the whole time during the rides." Jaehyun adds.

"Mm." I nod.

"Are you in love with her?" Taeil asks.

"No." I reply and they all furrow their brows at me. 

"Then? Why?" Doyoung asks.

"He thinks he can gather information by seducing Areum." Johnny answers for me.

"That's just wrong." Mark comments.

"I know."

"Then why the hell are you doing it?" Mark asks.

"We need information." I deadpan. The members all look at each other and let out a sigh.

"Ok. But don't fall in love with her for real." Yuta said.

"I won't." NCT all look at each other one more time before they all scatter off to do their own thing leaving me, Yuta, Lucas and Mark.

We continue to listen to the girls when suddenly Jieun got a call.

"Eh?! Police station?!" Jieun shouts. "Oh, yes. Thank you. Areum, Dreamies are at the police station. Lock up. Stay safe."

"Ok." Areum said.

We look at each other. "Dreamies are in jail?" We said in sync.

"I'm going to the police station."

========================================

I don't know how Taeyong is in real life with rides, but he's definitely scared of haunted houses and he's a total softie in contrast to his cold appearance.

But this is a fanfic so...meh~