Chapter 3

Puzzle

Lucas POV

"There's something about Jieun that makes me feel uneasy." Taeyong said. "She's definitely hiding something from Jisung."

"You don't say." Ten roll his eyes. "She claims to be a bad person. We all heard from my bug left in the coffee shop."

"Let's go pick up Dreamies. I really don't trust Jieun." Taeyong orders.

"Your bug works great, Ten." Jungwoo said.

"Of course. Who do you think I am?" Ten blurts out proudly. "I make all my bugs and tracking devices."

*************************************************

We all sit in a circle in the large living room with Dreamers in the center.

"Jisung-ah." Taeyong starts. "What is your noona like?"

"She's always nagging me, but she likes to baby me a lot." Jisung says. "She can be very nice though. Oh! And she's super smart."

"Jieun noona is the perfect sister." Haechan states.

"What happened to your parents?" Taeyong asks.

"They were murdered. The killer is still unknown."

"What was your sister like after your parents were gone?"

"Wow. You're asking a whole lot of questions."

"Just answer me."

"Mm." Jisung tries to recall the memory. "She cried a lot and kept apologizing to me."

"Go put your things away." Taeyong orders. Dreamies got up taking their luggage with them. "Oh, just so you know, you're all under house arrest."

"Eh?!" Dreamies shout. "No way!"

"Yo, Dream!" Mark shouts.

"Let's do it, fighting!" Dreamies follow up.

"Yo, Dream." Mark repeats.

"Let's do it, fighting!" They reply.

"Go to your room." Mark orders and they comply.

"That never cease to amaze me." Doyoung said.

"They listen to you so well when you do that." Taeil said.

"A habit formed during junior high." Mark replies. "Cause they hardly listen to me during school and I was like their leader. Had to catch their attention with that chant."

(a/n: Dream chant is so cute. And they do it in two different voices. That's the cute part. But they really don't listen to Mark. Lmao.)
*************************************************

When Taeyong hyung returns home from one of his negotiation, Dreamies run up to him.

"Taeyong hyung, please let us go home." Jisung said. "My noona needs me."

Oh. The persuading attempt is happening yet again today. They've been trying to convince Taeyong since he brought them here to our hideout house. Which was a total of four days.

"Jieun noona isn't a bad person." Chenle said.

"Yeah. She would never do anything to hurt us." Renjun agrees.

"She doesn't know anything about us, as NCT. No information on NCT, so please." Jeno said.

"Really. She's not a traitor. She loves us too much to put us in danger. We know her best." Jaemin exclaim. Poor boys. Don't even know that Jieun is possibly, most likely, keeping a secret from them.

"Boys, do you want to put Jieun in danger? I brought you here for her safety. From what I know, she knows Seventeen. They're our enemy. If they see you with Jieun, do you think she'll be safe? Do you think you'll be safe?" Taeyong asks making the boys fall silent.

"Fine. Don't tell us we didn't warn you." Haechan said and they all climb up the stairs returning to their room.

Jieun POV

"You look like ." Areum said sitting down with me.

"I miss them." I said.

"It's only been a couple of days."

"I know. But I miss them." My voice cracks.

"Ok. Let's not cry." Areum pulls me into a hug. "Hey, NCT is here." I pull away quickly to see two of the tall men from last time. They enter and sit at a table. "You should take their order."

I walk over to them. "What do you want?"

"My name is Lucas." The brown haired one said. "And he's Johnny." He points to the red head across from him. "What's your name, gorgeous?"

I ignore him and turn to Johnny. "How're my Dreamies?"

"Wow. Ignoring me?"

"Can you shut up?"

"Feisty. I like that." Lucas nods and winks at me.

"How are my Dreamies?" I repeat.

"Sad." Johnny states. "But alive."

"I see."

"So can we get coffee or..." Lucas trails off.

"This is a coffee shop. Of course you'll get coffee. How do you want it?"

"Black on Black." They both said in sync and look at each other. "Eh~" They point finger guns at each other. These are mafia members. I roll my eyes and fetch their coffee. I hand them their coffee and they gag as soon as they took a sip.

"Ok. Too strong. Can we get like three creamers and six packs of sugar? Each." Johnny asks. I shake my head and fetch the items. Reminder: they are mafia members. Noted. I nod to myself.

Lucas POV

"How is Jieun noona?" Jisung asks when Johnny and I step into the house. The other Dreamies looking at us with anticipation of the news.

"Thank you for welcoming us home." Johnny said.

"Welcome home. How's my noona?"

"She was a mess." I said. "She missed you guys a lot. Her eyes were puffy and red from all the crying, I bet. But she's still hot."

"Did Lucas hyung hit on my noona?"

"He flirts with every female thing that moves." Johnny said. "What do you think?"

"Yah. I'm being a gentleman."

"You're a flirt and a hoe." Dream said in sync and I can only laugh at their words.

Jieun POV

"This is so boring." Areum said taking a seat in front of me.

"I know. Should we hire a worker? For the morning? And we take care of this place in the evening?" I suggest.

"Should we?"

"If you want."

"Yes! Let's cast street someone!" Areum yells running out of the door.

I chuckle and shake my head.

"I got someone!" Areum shouts pulling the male in.

I look the male up and down. "Name?"

"Qian Kun."

"Age?"

"25." He smiles.

"Address?" He hesitates and averts his eyes. "Where do you live?"

"I'm not quite sure. I mean, I just came over from China recently, so I don't know the address. I live with my brothers though." He nods, a smile still on his face.

"Ok. Let me see your ID." He hands it to me without hesitation. I look at his ID then to him. "Do you have one in Korean?" He shakes his head and I let out a sigh. "So, when can you start?"

"Any day. I can even start today if you want." He continues to smile.

"Eager, aren't you?"

"I want to be useful for my brothers."

"You're not working today." I shake my head and he looks a bit taken back. "Go home, bring an address, then you can start working. You can find your way back here, I hope." He nods and exits the shop.

*************************************************

The next day, Kun returns to the shop with a paper of his address. I look it over and nod.

"Ok, you can start working."

"Yes!" He cheers. I throw a black apron at him.

"You know how to make coffee?"

He nods. "I can cook too."

"Great. Just don't steal money from the register."

Kun laughs. "My brothers make a lot of money. Don't worry about it."

"And don't go downstairs to the basement." I add and he nods in understanding.

Areum and I relax at a corner table for the rest of the day. "So," Kun speaks up cleaning up ready to leave for the day. "How long has this coffee shop been open?"

"Eight years." Areum replies.

"There's hardly any customers. Shouldn't we be out advertising?" Kun ask.

"I like-"

"Areum, did you forget why we opened this shop?" I cut her off. She press her lips together and look out the window. I turn to Kun. "I want fate to bring people to this shop. Not by advertisement."

"Oh." Kun said. "How long have you two known each other?"

"20 years. We met when we were eight." Areum laughs.

"How did you get money to open this place? It's so hard to find this shop. Who else knows that this place exist?"

"Investigating, I see."

Kun clears his throat. "Well, I guess it's time for me to leave now. Bye."

After Kun leaves, Areum and I stay behind for the evening shift. Of course there aren't many customers, but it's not like we have anything better to do. We watch as the sky gets darker every hour.

As we are cleaning up and ready to close for the night Jisung bursts through the door with tears staining his face. "Noona! Help us!"

"What's wrong?!" I shout. Chenle is holding onto Haechan who is holding onto his arm. Jeno and Renjun is carrying a bloody Jaemin who looks like he's barely hanging onto life.

"Babies!" I cry out.

Jisung POV

"Oh my god!" Areum shouts. "This way!" We follow her down the stairs which is leading us to the basement. I have never step inside the basement before. The basement is all white with LED lighting and is pristine clean. It's more high tech in contrast to the dull coffee shop above.

Jieun noona helps Jeno and Renjun carry Jaemin into the room and onto a bed located a bit to the right from the center of the room. Jieun noona grabs some gauze and hand it to Jeno and Renjun.

"Put pressure on the wound." Jieun noona orders.

Areum and Jieun noona put on latex gloves immediately and pull back a white curtain. Behind the curtain was a glass cabinet with surgical tools. They open the cabinet putting the tools onto a table and roll it over to the bed where Jaemin lays. Jieun noona cuts Jaemin's shirt to show the wound.

"Bullet? How?" Jieun noona shakes her head and grab tweezers. "This is gonna hurt Jaemin-ah." She pulls out the bullet and Jaemin screams in pain making Jieun noona cry even more. "You'll be ok, baby. You'll be ok."

I don't know if Jieun noona is reassuring Jaemin or herself, but she can't stop crying and tears continue to fall down her cheeks. The rest of us just watch and hold onto each other helplessly, hoping that Jaemin will be ok.

We turn to Areum noona who is treating Haechan.

"Aah." Haechan screams when Areum touches his arm.

"It's broken." She said grabbing a sling. She palpate his arm once more and Haechan screams out in pain when Areum fixes his arm before puting it in the sling. "There. Your arm should be in place." She runs upstairs and came back with an ice pack wrapped in a towel. She presses it onto Haechan's arm. "But to be safe, let's visit the hospital tomorrow, ok?" She smiles.

After Jieun noona is done with Jaemin, she falls onto her knees lifeless. Areum injects an IV bag into his arm.

"He'll be fine." Areum noona assures us. "Right now, he's just unconscious. Don't worry. Oh, but when he wakes up, he won't be able to eat for the next two days or so." We all nod at her instructions. "What about you, Haechan? Ok?"

Jieun turns to Haechan. "I'm sorry. It's not that I'm not worried about you. Baby, are you ok?"

"I understand. Jaemin's condition is more serious compared to mine." Haechan nods. "Don't worry. I'm fine. It does hurt though."

"The hyungs are here." Chenle announce. Jieun noona stands up immediately disposing her gloves. She stomps upstairs and we all follow her.

Lucas POV

"How is the coffee shop work coming along, Kun Ge?" Jaehyun asks.

"Ok." He nods. "Why are you asking? You guys bugged the coffee shop."

"So? Did you get any information on Park Jieun." Taeyong asks.

"It's my first day. What am I supposed to tell you?"

"Their personality. What are they like?"

"They seem like normal people. They're very happy and bright. They smile a lot. Seriously, what's the bug for if you're gonna ask me. Oh, but there's this ro-"

"Emergency! Emergency!" Taeil yells running towards us.

"What's the Emergency?" Yuta asks.

"Dream. Dream is hurt."

"What?!" We all yell in sync. "Where are they?"

"At their noona's coffee shop." Mark runs out of the room immediately. We all get ready to leave.

"You stay." I say to Kun. "We can't have Jieun knowing that you are one of us."

"Ok." Kun nods in understanding. The rest of us make our way to the coffee shop.

When we enter, Jieun stomps out from somewhere and punches Taeyong right in the face. He stumbles back shocked.

"This is what you call protecting?!" She shouts. "You confiscate my Dreamy babies for one week and they show up at my coffee shop with a broken arm and a bullet wound?!"

"We-"

"Get the out!" She shouts. "I may be a bad person, but you're worse than me. I. Don't. Want. You. Near. My. Babies. Get. Out!" She pushes Taeyong back with each and every word. "Out! Out! Out! Get out now or I'll kill you!"

I run over and pull her away from Taeyong.

"Let go of me. I'm gonna kill him! Let go! Let me kill him!"

"Calm down." I said tightening my hold on her while Areum ushers Taeyong out.

"Get out or she'll murder you in your sleep."

"Let go!" Jieun shouts pulling away from me. "There was no need for you to hug me like that."

"Playing hard to get. I like that."

"I'm not playing hard to get. You're not even my type!"

"What's you're type then? Seungcheol? Plus, I was just separating you from Taeyong hyung." I said with my hand in surrender mode. "That and you need to calm down."

"Calm down? Me? no! I raised Dreamies for eight years! Eight! And nothing like this has ever happened. They joined your stupid gang for three months and they end up at death's door!"

"Not gang. Mafia. Plus, they've been with us for just as long." I said. "Maybe longer?"

"What?" Jieun said taken back.

"Renjun lives with us after all and we decided to take the rest of them in. Unfortunately, you are the legal guardian of Jisung and Chenle. Plus, we didn't tell them that we were part of the mafia until three months ago. We wanted to wait until they graduate before they make a decision to join us, but they followed us and found out." I explain.

"It doesn't change the fact that your stupid group nearly got them killed!"

"Ok, baby-"

"Don't call me baby."

I chuckle. "Ok. Playing hard to get. I like that."

"I'm not playing hard to get. Just leaveAll of you. Dreamies will be staying with me."

"We should wait until she calms down." Taeil whispers in my ear.

"Ok. We're leaving." I said.

"We are?" Doyoung asks.

"Yes, we are. Come on." Jaehyun orders and we all leave.


====================================

====================================

Lucas is totally my type. 😍
Can everyone in NCT be my type? 😏