Chapter 17

Puzzle

Jieun POV

"Punish me!" Haechan shouts, storming in the coffee shop, making customers stare at us. I look around.

"Don't say that!" I hiss. "It sounds weird. Others will get the wrong idea!"

"I thought about it all night. Jieun noona, I went against your word, please punish me for my wrongdoing!"

"I told you already, I don't have any punishment for you."

"But, it makes me feel so guilty when you don't punish me!"

"Good." I say walking behind the counter. "Hopefully, you'll learn from this and not disobey me next time." Haechan goes silent. "You're still gonna disobey me." I deadpan. "Then just forget it. I have no punishment for you."

"But-"

"No buts. Live with it." Haechan pouts and walks out.

Haechan POV

"Mark." I call out, opening his bedroom door without permission and laying in bed next to him. "I need to talk to you."

"About?" He asks, closing his book.

"Jieun noona. After what happened at the club, she didn't punish me at all. Ever since I was young, she's always punished me and now that she doesn't, it feels so weird. I mean, I always break the rules anyways, but I guess her punishments reassures me that she still loves me. But nothing this time and my guilt is gnawing at me, like, yeah it was my fault but I shouldn't feel this bad about it. Does she not love me anymore?"

"Oh, this is what you wanted to talk about."

"Yeah, what else could we talk about?"

"Donghyuck, did you forget that we did...that, two days ago. I mean, you still have my mark all over you."

My eyes widen and I feel my cheeks heat up. How could I forget?! I try to roll off the bed but Mark traps me under him instead.

"You walked into my room and jumped into my bed yourself." Mark smirks. "Quite the bold one, I must say."

"I-I didn't mean to." I panic.

"Mark!" Doyoung shouts, slamming the door open, and catching us in the misleading position. "You two are seriously gonna do the nasty in the morning?"

"Why not?" Johnny asks from behind Doyoung, making me push Mark off of me and his bed and onto the floor.

"It's a misunderstanding!" I shout running to my room.

Johnny POV

"Tsk. He ran." Mark mumbles. "What's up?"

"The sight traumatized me and I don't remember, but do lock your door next time." Doyoung says walking away, and I hear him mumble something about bleaching his eyes. I chuckle entering Mark's room.

"So," I start, sitting down next to him on the floor. "You finally went pass the brother boundary and laid your hands on him."

"I didn't mean to. That night he was not in his right mind and I was-"

"Tempted." I finish for him. He nods in confirmation.

"I feel like a hormonal teenager." He buries his head in his knees.

"You are one." I say earning a glare from Mark. "Sorry, Sorry. But if it makes you feel any better, you'll always be kinda hormonal, even as an adult. It's just under a different name now, called libido."

"Ugh. I ed up, didn't I?"

I chuckle. "Mark, nobody knows what is right or wrong, but since it already happened, just be careful and don't ruin it."

"So I did up."

"I didn't say that, but we don't want any personal feelings to with business. You get me? Don't let your feelings for Donghyuck ruin his relationship with NCT, 'cause if that happens, where would he go? To Jieun. You know what that means? You won't get to see him anymore and NCT loses a member, or hell, all of Dream. Ok?" I give Mark one last pat before I walk out of his room.

Mark POV

"Hey, Taeyong's calling a meeting." Jaehyun says. I close my book (that I was not reading) and walk to the conference room.

"What's up?" I ask, sitting down. Even Lucas was present. The others shrug at my question. Taeyong walks in and wince in pain as he takes his seat. We all get up on instinct ready to help him but he raises his hand, dismissing it.

"I'm ok." Taeyong hyung says. "Anyways, Yuta found something."

"King's alive." Yuta says playing a video on the projector. Taeong's savior (not one, but two) just really went right in and saved him.

"P-play that again!" Lucas shouts. Yuta did as told.

"Ace!" The person shouts running towards the said person and Taeyong, blocking the knife with their forearm, before stabbing the enemy, resulting in an instant kill.

"Play it again." Lucas orders and Yuta did as told. I raise my brow.

"Something wrong?" I ask.

"Jieun," He starts. "The day after we went to rescue Taeyong, I visited Jieun. She had a gauze bangage wrapped around her forearm in that exact location."

"Did you ask her what happened?" Jaehyun asks.

"She said that she was so worried about Dream going on the rescue mission that she hurt herself while cooking."

"As if she's gonna tell the truth." Doyoung deadpans.

"Maybe that is the truth." Taeil says.

"How is that possible?" Jungwoo asks.

"How is it not possible?" Taeil retorts.

"Why are you defending her?" Ten questions.

"Because we share a link called Dream. Even if you guys don't want to admit it, we're connected to them now, through Dream." Taeil explains. "We can't do anything to them. Dream will hate us and we'll lose six members."

"I hate to admit it, but Taeil is right." Johnny says. "Unless we want to risk losing Dream, we can't do anything to them. Plus, just because she hurt her arm doesn't mean she's part of King."

"If Jieun is part of King, that makes Areum her partner." WinWin says, earning a sharp stare from Taeyong.

"You don't know that." He says through gritted teeth.

"Yes, we do." Ten speaks up. "Jieun and Areum do not have any other friends. If they do, we would have met them by now. It's safe to assume that they have no other friends."

"Jieun and Areum as King." We murmur. A knock on the door catches our attention. Yuta turns off the projector and WinWin opens the door to a curious Donghyuck.

"Why is everyone in here?" He asks. We all look at each other.

"We're just chillin'." I reply quickly.

"In here?"

"Yes. Problem?"

"Huh." He nods, suspicious. "Yuta hyung, can we continue working or..."

"Yes! Let's do that." Yuta replies, immediately leading him away. We all let out a sigh.

Haechan POV

"-chan! Haechan! You're not even paying attention!" Yuta hyung shouts.

"I am!"

"What did I say?"

I stare at him then at the laptop. "We're gonna continue hacking skills."

"We sat here for ten whole minutes and that's all you heard?" Yuta lets out a sigh. "Today I'm gonna teach you how to hack into a server and remain untraceable."

"Oh."

"What's with that lifeless response." Yuta hyung asks. "You don't want to do this anymore?"

"How is that possible? Of course I want to do it!" I shout. "Let's do it."

"Ok, then. Watch and learn." Yuta says with a smirk. After watching, Yuta hyung turns to me and smile. "Now you try it."

"I...don't remember."

Yuta hyung smiles. "No biggie. This isn't easy. Here. I'll show you and explain again."

After a few hours of teaching, Yuta hyung lets out a sigh. "Let's stop here for now. How about some lunch?"

I look at the clock. "I'm going out. I'll be back later." I say to him, grabbing my sweater and running out the door. I pull out my phone to make a call. "Jeno!"

"There was a meeting and Dream wasn't invited?" Jaemin asks after I explained the situation to them. I nod in confirmation.

"Suspicious." Renjun mumbles. "They denied it to hide it too. Double suspicion."

"So? Not like we can we do anything about it." Jisung deadpans. "It's not like we know what they talked about."

"Guess we have to wait and see." Jeno shrugs.

"I hate waiting." I grumble. "Something bad can happen while we wait!"

"I agree with Haechan." Chenle says.

"Like Jisung said. It's not like we can do anything about it." Jaemin says.

"Maybe we can." Renjun starts, turning to look at me with a wicked smirk.

"W-What?" I stutter out.

"Haechan, you need to hack Yuta hyung."

"Oi!" We all shout.

"Are you crazy?!" I yell. "If Yuta hyung finds out, which I'm sure he - and the rest of NCT hyungs will - I'm dead meat!"

"But you just learned how to hack and be untraceable right?" Renjun argues.

"Keyword: JUST learned. Which means I don't have the hang of it yet!" I retort.

"Then we wait." Jeno repeats.

"I hate waiting."

"Then you hack." Renjun says

I let out a sigh of defeat. "I'll wait."

Lady POV

(a/n: again bold is Chinese)

I look up at the building in front of me and walk in.

"I would like to speak to the boss here." I said to the receptionist. She looks at me confused. "The boss. I want to meet him."

"I don't understand what you're saying." She shakes her head.

"Great. What is she saying?" I mumble to myself. She quickly grabs another lady to come talk to me.

"I want to see the boss." I repeat.

"Do you have an appointment?" She asks.

"No."

"Then please make one ma'am. We can't let you in without an appointment."

"My son is a shareholder of this company. Why can't I see him?"

"Ma'am, seeing the boss is appointments only. If you don't have one-"

"Mom?" A voice calls out. I turn and came face to face with my son.

"Baby!" I pull him into a hug.

"I'll take it from here. Thanks." He says to the ladies and walks me to his office. "What are you doing here?"

"What? I can't see my own son?"

"It's not th-"

"You never come home. Is it bad that I want to see you?" I ask. "If I don't visit you, I'll never get to see your face or hear your voice, because you don't call me either."

"Dad transferred me here to Korea because he wants this alliance with the big boss to work. If he's worried about it, reassure him that I'm getting along with NCT very well. The big boss hasn't complained yet."

"I'm not here for that. I'm here to visit you!"

"What's that?" He asks, changing the topic while pointing to my hand.

"I made you your favorite food." I set the container down and opened it for him. He starts eating and I watch him. "I met this this girl," I start and tell him about what happened. "I want you to marry her."

"I can't." He replies.

"Why?!"

He swallows his food and put his chopsticks down. "Because I already have someone I want to marry."

"I disapprove."

He lets out a sigh. "I'm not gonna let you choose my bride, mom. I want to marry someone I love." He gets up and walks out of his office.

"Yukhei!" I shout following after him. "Come back here, Yukhei!" We reach the lobby and he still does not stop. "Wong Yukhei!" He finally stops in front of six figures. I quickly run towards him.

"Mom. This is the brother of the person I want to marry."

I look at the person and he awkwardly waved. I gasp.

"Are you..." I gasp once more. "Dreamies!"

"Hi aunty." They all wave at me.

"Aunty?"

"Uh, mom." They correct themselves.

"Oh~" I pull them into a quick group hug and pull away. "When I first met you boys you were so much smaller. Look at you boys; you're all grown men now. How old again?"

"18." Renjun and Chenle reply in sync.

"Oh~" I pull them in for another hug. "Babies are all grown up. Where are you going, Yukhei?" I ask when I catch him trying to sneak off.

"To visit the love of my life." He replies walking out.

I look at Jisung. "If it's your sister, she might not be too bad." Chenle translates to the others.

"She's the best." They all assure me with thumbs up as Chenle translates to me. I get in my van along with Dream and follow Yukhei to the location where he'll see the love of his life. We come to a stop an Dream quickly leaves to enter the shop.

"You'll love her." Yukhei says to me before entering the coffee shop.

Jieun POV

"Dreamies are here." Areum states.

"Dreamies?" I look up. "Dreamies!" I open my arms for a hug, which they comply to. "What's up?"

"We're just visiting." They reply.

"Lucas incoming." Areum says as I break the hug with Dream.

"Roses are red violets are blue. I didn't know what perfect was until I met you."

"What do you want, Lucas?"

"I want you to meet someone." He says looking behind him to an empty space and lets out a sigh. "Hold on." He says leaving the coffee shop and ushers his visitor in.

"Oh!" We both point to each other. "It's you again."

"You two know each other?" Lucas ask, looking back and forth between the two of us.

"This is the nice girl I was telling you about." She explains turning to me. "What's your name?"

"Park Jieun."

"Park Jieun." She repeats with a smile and a nod. "I am-"

"She's my mom." Lucas cut her off which earned a smack on his arm.

"Prima Sumathep!" I shout and cover my mouth immediately.

"Yes, that's my maiden name. How do you know?"

I clear my throat. "Uh, I...I was interested in business for a while and uh, saw an article about your husband Wong Junkai, who is one of the biggest businessman in China, and uh, yeah."

"Oh~" she slowly nods her head in understanding. "Ne. Ne." She waves me over. I lean down so she can whisper in my ear. "Are you dating my Yuhkei?"

"Not at all." I reply.

"Eh?" She pulls away stomping over to Lucas and grabbing him by the ear. She hisses incoherent words as Areum catches my attention.

"Hey, I'm going out."

"Alone?"

"Mm." She nods. "Don't worry about me. I'll be back later? Maybe? I'll text you if I'll come back or not. My location is on, so track me down if you're ever suspicious. Tah Tah~" She waves as she walks out.

Lucas POV

My mom storms over, grabbing me by my ear.

"Ah. Ah. Ah." I wince in pain.

"You idiot!" She hisses at me. "You should've told me that you two aren't dating! I must've seem like a total idiot. Why are you two not dating anyways? Do you not have enough charm? Are you really your father's child?"

"Ok. Ok. Ok. I'm sorry." I apologize for no specific reason. "But, mom, she has a heart of steel. She's not moved by simple flirting skills."

"Then you need to work harder! Now!"

"Ok." I say, rubbing my ear after my mother releases me. I walk over to Jieun. "Hey."

"Hey." She smiles.

"Where's Areum?" I ask while looking around.

"She left."

"So, my mother told me you helped her. Thank you."

"It was no problem."

"She also told me you spoke to her in Chinese. I'm impressed you know Chinese."

"Yeah well, when you have a Chinese baby who does not speak an ounce of Korean," She looks over at Chenle and breaks into a smile. "You're bound to learn. I'm just thankful Renjun was there to make the process easier."

(a/n: Jieun is mixing languages ☝️)

"I see." I smile. "So...you up for a date?"

She looks at me then to my mother and back at me. "I think you should take care of your mom first."

"She's fine." I nod in confirmation. Jieun smiles and shakes her head.

"Dreamies!" She calls for their attention. They all turn to look at her. "Are you boys hungry?"

"Yes, we are!"

"What do you want to eat?" They all yell out their answer together which turns into a mumbling mess. "Paper-rock-scissors. Winner decides." They all competed like their life depends on it. Jieun walks over to my mother. "You are welcomed to join."

"Oh please." My mother waves her off. "I'm old. I shouldn't be mingling with the young ones."

"You're not old at all. If you're old, then I am too." Jieun says earning a chuckle from my mother. "You are more than welcome to join us."

"No thank you." She shakes her head. "I shall get going." She walks to me, pulling me down by my ear. "Work hard." She whispers to me, before smiling at Jieun once again, and leaving.

"Ow." I rub my ear.

"Did you make her mad?" Jieun chuckles.

"I don't know." I shrug.

Taeyong POV

"Ah." I hiss at the throbbing of my rib cage.

"What's wrong? Are you ok?" Johnny asks.

"Rib...hurts..." I manage to huff out.

"WinWin!" Jaehyun shouts for him, who, comes running immediately.

"Yes?"

"Can you check on Taeyong hyung?"

"Dull throbbing pain!" I shout out in one go.

"Pain pill?" He asks and I nod. He comes back with the pill and a cup of water. "I suggest you go visit a real doctor."

"You are a real doctor."

"I dropped out of residency, remember?" He mumbles. "I'm not a real doctor."

We all look at each other.

"To us, you'll always be a real doctor. I mean, you take good care of us and you know what you're doing. Why let a piece of paper tell you what you are or aren't, right?" Johnny says.

"Took the words right out of my mouth." Jaehyun approves with a fist bump.

"I agree with them. To us, you'll always be a doctor." I smile while lightly patting his back.

"Thanks." He says with a smile. "But I really do recommend you go see a doctor though. I don't have an X-ray to view your bones. I just assumed you broke your ribs through palpation. You might want to get an X-ray done and confirm the broken ribs."

*********

"Your rib cage is indeed broken." The doctor confirms, examining the picture. "Though I have to say, whoever told you that you broke your ribs by palpating, did a wonderful job. They thoroughly examined you and came to such conclusion. They're talented and should work in the medical field."

Johnny and I look at each other with proud smiles.

"It's our brother." We brag.

"He was actually aiming for a medical degree but..." I trail off.

"He dropped out of his residency for unknown reasons." Johnny finishes.

"A real pity." The doctor nods, turning to Taeyong. "Well, I suggest you stop any strenuous activities." The doctor advises.

"Does count?" Johnny asks with a chuckle, dissipating the depressing atmosphere of WinWin's history, as I hit him.

"I suggest you stop any strenuous activities." The doctor repeats, avoiding a direct answer.

"I guess counts as strenuous."

"Johnny." I hiss through clenched teeth and embarrassment.

"Maybe you can have if you just lay there and let Areum do all the work."

"Johnny!"

Johnny laughs. "Sorry. Sorry." We both turn to the doctor and bow in gratitude before leaving.

"What the hell was that? What were you doing?" I ask, as we walk out of the hospital.

"Embarrassing you." Johnny chuckles.

"Seriously." I mumble. "Sometimes, I don't know what to do with you all."

"Then don't do anything." Johnny says as we bump into a person.

"I'm so sorry!" We apologize to each other and gasp in surprise.

"Areum!" I shout.

"Taeyong!" She says looking at the hospital then back to me. "Why are you here? Are you hurt somewhere? Are you ok? What's wrong with you?"

"I guess I'll leave you two alone." Johnny says walking away. "Ah!" He turns back to me. "Remember no 'strenuous' activities." He wiggles his eyes brows suggestively before leaving.

"What is that about?" Areum tilts her head in confusion.

"It's nothing. Just an inside joke."

"Why are you here?" She asks, remembering our current location. "Where are you hurting?"

"It's just my ribs. I came to confirm the current state of it and the doctor told me to lay off any strenuous activities."

"Ah~" she nods in understanding.

"What about you?" I ask. "Why are you here?"

"Ah, I'm pregnant. I'm here for my monthly checkup."

"Eh?" I shout with wide eyes making Areum chuckle.

"I'm just playing with you. It's only been two days since we slept together. Though conception can occur 24 hours after ." She adds as an after thought and looks at me who's still bewildered at the statement. "That information doesn't help soothe you at all, does it?" She chuckles. "I'm really just playing with you. It's my body; I'd know if I am pregnant. Don't worry about it. I'm not here as a patient." She looks at her watch. "Gotta run." She waves me off, walking into the hospital, leaving me dumbfounded.