Chapter 10

Puzzle

Jieun POV

Cling. Cling. I look towards the door and it was just another customer. I let out a sigh.

"Are you ok?" Areum asks.

"Yeah." I nod. "Why do you ask?"

"No it's just...you've been looking at the door all day today. Are you waiting for-"

"I'm not waiting for Lucas." I deny immediately.

"Who said anything about Lucas?" Areum chuckles. "So you're waiting for Lucas? Do you miss him?"

"I don't." I said.

"Don't lie. You've been waiting all day for him."

"I'm not. I just find it a bit weird. I mean, he's usually here to bother me everyday and now it's almost 4pm and he hasn't shown up at all."

"You miss him."

"I don't." I said.

"Yes, you do. Admit it. You miss him."

"I don't." I said turning around to clean the utensils.

"You look familiar, didn't we take a class together? I could've sworn we had chemistry."

"Yah, you already used this pick up line on me before." I said turning around and coming face to face with a stranger.

"Really? I could've sworn this is the first time we've met." He said.

"Then I guess we didn't have chemistry together." I reply. "How can I help you?"

After the customer leaves, Areum bursts out in giggles.

"You thought it was Lucas, didn't you?"

"I didn't!" I shout and went on with my day.

"Dreamies."

"Yeah?" They said looking up at me from their dinner.

"Uh, it's nothing." I shake my head and we continue to eat.

I lay down in my bed and my phone buzzes. I look at the screen showing a notification of yet another anonymously sent e-mail. After I ignored the first one, more kept coming, and I continue to ignore them. Just like the others, I ignore this one and close my eyes, falling asleep.

*******************************************************

"Yes?" Jaemin asks snapping me back to reality.

"Huh?"

"You keep looking at us like you want to say something." Jeno said taking a bite of his breakfast.

I shake my head. "It's nothing."

"Dreamies." I call out to them as they were heading out.

"Hm?" They turn back to me.

"Uh, s-study hard."

"We know that already." Jisung grumbles and they walk out.

I let out a sigh and ruffle my hair. Ugh. 'How is he?' Three words! Why is it so hard to say?! I go to the coffee shop, annoyed at myself.

"What's wrong?" Areum asks and I just shake my head.

"Why are you two here?" Kun asks.

"Uh, why can't we be here? This is our coffee shop." Areum replies.

"Yeah, but why hire me then if you two are just gonna come in?"

"Why are you finally complaining now? Do you want us to fire you?" I ask with a chuckle.

"No. Of course not." He shakes his head.

"Just don't mind us." I said and we sit at the table. I let out a sigh and look out the window. "What?"

"You miss him."

"I don't." I deny.

"Mm~" Areum nods. "Whatever you say~"

"What about you? How was your date?"

"It's ok." Areum said and she went in detail of how it went.

"He bought you that anklet. Was it expensive?"

"I don't know." Areum shrugs. "I didn't check the price at the store."

"If it's stainless steel and it was from a jewelry shop, it must've been expensive."

"Maybe." She said staring at the anklet with a bright smile on her face.

"Ok, but let's be real here. Don't you think that Taeyong is prying too much into our life?" I ask her and she shakes her head in disagreement. "Kun, what do you think? Do you think that NCT is prying too much into our life?"

"Uh..." he just shrugs.

"Hey, people who asks a lot of questions are interested. He might like me."

"I think that..." I trail off. "Never mind. I'll tell you next time."

"Eh? Tell me now."

"Next time."

"Fine. Don't tell me."

The day go on as normal but Lucas has yet to show up.

"You totally miss him." Areum said at the end of the day.

"I don't." I said cleaning the counter and tables.

"You know that's your tenth time cleaning the counter and tables. If you miss him so much, go see him."

"I don't miss him." I said putting the rag away.

"Oh, but you can't sit still. Without Lucas here chatting you up, it's pretty boring, isn't it?"

"It's not. I'm fine." I said.

"Aish, so stubborn. If you miss him, just say you miss him. He might magically show up."

"I.Don't." I said and walk out of the coffee shop annoyed. "Why would I miss him? Without him talking to me, it's so peaceful. Too peaceful." I let out a sigh walking into a convenient store and spot some familiar figures. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Noona!" Dreamies shout turning to me.

"W-we're buying food for the hyungs. What about you?" Jeno asks.

"Aren't you usually at the coffee shop?" Renjun questions.

"I-I'm clearing my head." I nod. "Plus, it's already closing time." I look at the items on the shelf then at Dreamies, then the items and back at Dreamies. I see Dreamies fidget a bit at my staring.

"Noona, do you wanna talk?" Jaemin decides to speaks up.

We all sit in the grass at a nearby park in silence. Once in awhile, Dreamies take a peek at me wondering when I'll speak.

"H-how," I begin, catching Dreamies' attention, their eyes trained on me. "How are you guys?"

"Of course we're fine. Do we look dead to you?" Haechan said. The others nudge him.

"Do you really want to know about us?" Jaemin asks.

"How...are the members of NCT?"

"They're ok?" Jeno answers unsure.

"Just get to the point noona. I don't know what you're trying to say. I'm stupid, remember?" Jisung said.

"How's Lucas?"

"He's fine. Why?" Chenle asks.

"I...uh...didn't see him yesterday or today, so I just thought..." I trail off.

"He might not seem like it because of his actions, but Lucas hyung is the strongest member of NCT." Renjun smiles. "You don't have to worry about him."

"If he's fine then that's good." I said standing up.

"Wait, that's it?" Jaemin asks.

"Mm." I nod. "I know that everything is fine, so I'm not worried anymore. Bye." I walk back to the coffee shop.

"You look happier." Areum chirps. "What happened?"

"Nothing." I said.

"Did you see Lucas?"

"No." I shake my head. "I saw Dreamies."

"Oh, Dreamies make everything better, don't they."

"What about you? You didn't meet with Taeyong today."

"I wanted to cheer you up."

"I call bull." I said.

Areum laughs. "Ok. He's with his boys too. They have a major plan going on and stuff. I don't know. I'm not gonna pry."

Mark POV

I walk down the stairs running into Dream. "Did you guys get into another fight?" I ask looking them up and down.

"Not really." They reply in sync, looking away.

"How can you go to the convenience store and  come back all beat up and claim you didn't fight?" I shake my head. "No. How did you guys get into a fight?" I grab Haechan by the chin and observe his face.

"Those s started it." Haechan said looking me in the eye.

"Did you win?"

"What do you think?" We stare at each other in silence.

"Ahem." Jeno clears his throat. "Hate to interrupt but um..." he raises the plastic bags in hands.

"Right." Haechan nods, pulling away from me, remembering that they went out to buy things for the hyungs. Haechan links his arm with Jeno's and they walk off. I take a deep breath full of irritation.

"A-are you ok?" Renjun stutters.

"Yeah." I reply and walk off after Haechan and Jeno, with the rest of Dream, following suit. They went around passing out the things the hyungs has ordered.

"You guys got into a fight?" WinWin asks accepting the thing he wanted. "Let me patch you up." WinWin hyung brings out the first aid kit. "Haechan, I-"

"I'll do it." I cut WinWin hyung off.

"Ok? Uh, Jeno then, I guess." WinWin hyung shrugs and Jeno sits in front of him to get his inuries taken care of.

"Where are you going?" Chenle asks as I pull Haechan away. I ignore his question and continue walking towards my room.

I sit Haechan on my bed. "What happened?"

"Nothing much." He replies as I pull out the first aid box from the cabinet under the TV.

I raise my brow at him. "Really?" I sit in front of Haechan. I clean his wounds with hydrogen peroxide.

"Ah!" He flinches at the slight burning sensation of the medicine. "Not so hard."

"I'm not pressing it that hard though. Does it hurt a lot?"

"What do you think?"

"So? What happened?" I ask, eyes traveling down to his lips as he talks.

"Hyung, did you hear me?"

"Hm?"

"You didn't even listen and you wanted to know what happened." Haechan shakes his head. "Anyways, long story short, we went to the convenience store and met Jieun noona and we talked for a bit and then we came home and accidentally bumped into some people who think they're hard and we got into a fight."

"It's very dangerous at night. You guys shouldn't go out so much."

"But the hyungs wanted us to."

I let out a sigh. "Invite me next time."

"Why would I do that?"

"Cause I said so." I say staring him in the eye. "Ok?" I grab a cotton swab and wiped the corners of his lip. I move in closer so I can see better.

Haechan lightly clears his throat and I look up realizing our close proximity. I look down back at his lips and slowly lean in. Suddenly Haechan falls off the bed.

"I-I'm going back to my room now." He stutters and runs off.

"He escaped." I whisper to myself.

Lucas POV

Taeyong told me to be cautious of Jieun so I stayed away for two days. During that time, all I could think about was her annoyed face when I flirt with her and smile. She's cute when she's annoyed. She hardly smiles but when she does, she gorgeous. I can't stop thinking about her. I grab my car keys and run out.

I run up to the coffee shop and knock on the glass window.

"What?" Jieun growls at me. "If you break my window, you're gonna pay for it."

"I'm lost. Can you give me directions?" I ask.

She sighs. "Where to?"

"Your heart." She press her lips together to suppress her smile. She shakes her head and enters the coffee shop. I follow her in.

"Did you miss me?"

She scoffs. "You wish."

I sit down at a table and pull out my phone with a loud gasp.

"What?" She said concerned.

"There is something wrong with my cell phone."

"Let me see." She said checking out my phone. "What's wrong with it?"

"It doesn't have your number in it." She laughs lightly and hands me back my phone.

"Wait, Jieun. I lost my phone number, can I have yours?"

She smiles and looks at me. "You know, you have a better chance of getting my number from Dreamies rather than me."

"Yeah, but it would have more meaning if I got it from you." I wink at her. She takes my phone from and enters something before handing it back.

"Don't call me for no reason." She walks behind the counter. Her phone buzzes in her pocket and she pulls it out. She furrow her brows before answering. "Hello?"

"Kiss me if I'm wrong, but dinosaurs still exist, right?" She turns to me and I raise my brows at her.

"They still exist." She says and hangs up. "I just told you not to call me for no reason."

I walk up to her. "I'm calling to make sure you receive my number too." I said. "Plus, you owe me a kiss."

"I do not owe you a kiss. I'm gonna name the contact so I know not to pick up when you call." She said typing on her phone. She shows me her screen and my contact now has my name on it.

"You spelled boyfriend wrong."

She smiles rolling her eyes. "Go away, Lucas."

"Can I order something though?"

"What do you want?"

"You."

"Too bad I'm not on the menu."

"But, I can take you out though?"

She looks outside. "It's so early. What do you want to do at this time?"

"We can go out for a movie and go bother Dreamies at school during lunch time."

"Deal." Jieun answers immediately.

"Great! A date! I knew I can draw you in with Dreamies."

"Am I too easy?" She said with a laugh.

"You're not easy, just doting."

"Kun, sor-"

"It's ok." Kun cuts her off. "Have fun on your date." He waves us off.

"Walking, bus, or car?" I ask. She stares at my black Ferrari 458.

"Are you a rich brat?"

I laugh at her words. "No. Just part of the mafia."

"I'm not riding that. Attracts too much attention." She said walking away.

"Walking it is." I follow her. "Where are we going?"

"Didn't you say we're going to watch a movie?"

"Oh! You're really going with me?"

"Of course." She said looking at me.

"Watch out!" I said pulling her back against my chest as an old lady throws out water onto the streets.

She looks up at me and smiles. "Thank you."  
This is the woman Taeyong wants me to be cautious of. Why?

Without thinking, I start leaning down and she looks away pulling herself away from me. "Um, let's head to the movies."

I just nod at her and follow silently.

We stare at the choices. "What do you want to watch?"

"What about you? What do you like?"

"It doesn't matter. I'll watch whatever you want to watch." I shrug.

"Ok. Then, how about this one?" She points to Zootopia. This is the person Taeyong wants me to be cautious of.

"Ok." I agree and we wait in line for tickets.

Jieun POV

As we wait in line to buy tickets, I hear a group of girls behind me whispering.

"He's so handsome. Talk to him."

"No you talk to him."

"I'll talk to him."

"Wait, I take it back. I'll talk to him."

They finally make up their mind and they call out to Lucas.

"Excuse me." One of them tap his shoulder.

"Hm?" He turns to them.

"Um, what's your name?"

"Lucas." He replies. The girls look at each other and giggle.

"Well, can we have your number?"

"Ah." He looks at me troubled. I turn away pretending to mind my own business. "I have a girlfriend." He points at me.

"Oh. But we can still be friends?"

"I don't think my girlfriend will like that?"

"Why are you turning them down?" I ask peeking at the girls. "It's ok." The girls' expression brighten and they got their phones ready.

"I would rather not." Lucas said. "Sorry." The girls look down dejected.

"Why didn't you give them your number?" I ask heading to the destined room after buying the tickets.

"Because I already have you."

"We're not dating."

"Well, I know your mouth said 'ok' but I'm sure you're still testing me. I can be loyal to one girl, y'know. And I want it to be you."

We watch the movie and as time pass I suddenly hear sniffing. I turn to my side and laugh covering my mouth. Lucas is crying.

"Why did you cry?" I ask while laughing as we left the movie theaters. "It's not even a sad movie."

"I don't know." He shrugs. "Tears just came out."

I laugh and look at my watch. "It's Dreamies' lunch time already. When we get there, we should have around 20 minutes with them. That is, if we find them immediately."

We walk onto their school campus and sneak around looking for them.

"Where do you think they are?" Lucas asks.

"Maybe somewhere quiet?"

"The rooftop? Or the isolated courtyard in the back?" Lucas suggests. I look at him. "What? Isn't it like that in movies?" Before I could respond, he grabs my hand and leads me to the rooftop.

As we make our way there, I see a teacher, so I open the closest door and pull Lucas in with me. I push him against the wall and put my index finger against my lips. "Sh." We hear footsteps pass by. After a few seconds, we open the door looking both ways before we continue our journey to the rooftop.

When we arrive at our destination, it was empty. I let out a disappointed sigh.

"Let's go to the courtyard." Lucas grabs me by the hand again and we make our way to the courtyard. When we arrive, there were six bodies laying in the open grass. We creep up to them and I find some rocks. I grab Lucas pointing to the little rocks, an evil smile appearing on my face. Lucas smiles along with me and I pick them up throwing it at Haechan.

He brushes off the first one I threw. I throw another one. This time at Jeno. Jeno sits up and looks around. He spots me and I put my index finger to my mouth. He nudges Jaemin making him sit up and spotting me. Jaemin presses his lips together and nudges Renjun who nudges Chenle who nudges Jisung. Jisung nudges Haechan but Haechan just nudge Jisung back. I shake my head and toss the little rocks at Haechan. One after another. They all try to hold in their laughter.

"Who's the bastard-" Haechan yells sitting up stopping mid-sentence when he sees me. "Jieun noona! Lucas hyung!" He looks at the others who are suppressing their laughter. "Why didn't you guys tell me?"

"Why? Are you gonna beat me up?" I ask walking over to them.

Haechan shakes his head. "What are you two doing here?"

"Just checking up on you guys." I shrug. "Is this how you spend your lunch time?"

"We came out to relax after eating." Jaemin explains.

"How has your day been so far?" I ask Dreamies.

"Like how a high school student's day is supposed to be." Renjun said. "Packed with learning."

"Sorry to hear that. But it's better than being an adult."

"True." Chenle agrees with me. "Oh, guess what?"

"Hm?"

"That douche - I mean, uh the mayor's son." Chenle corrects himself. "Apologized to Haechan."

"He stopped bothering us too." Jisung said. "He seemed so scared when he apologized. Makes me wondered what happened."

"What about you, noona? How was your day?" Jeno asks.

"Mm~" I think for a bit. "I saw Lucas cry today."

"Eh? I've never seen him cry before." Chenle said.

"When was this?" Jeno asks.

"Earlier we went to watch a movie together." I say while laughing. "I was watching and suddenly I hear 'huk huk' so I turned and saw him crying."

"What were you watching?" Jaemin asks.

"Zootopia."

Jisung bursts out laughing. "Zootopia." He repeats.

"Zootopia. Isn't it utopia?" Chenle questions.

"No, it's Zootopia. The one with the rabbit and the fox. Y'know, the cop rabbit." Renjun explains.

"Uh?! That one? How can you cry for that one?" Chenle asks.

"That's right. I don't know why too." Lucas said.

"Wait, back up!" Haechan said. "You two went to watch a movie? Together? Like, a date?" Dream seems to realize it and they look at us with wide eyes.

"You two went on a date?" Jisung asks and Lucas looks at me.

"Mm." I nod. "Why? You have a problem with it. Tell me now or forever hold your peace." They didn't say anything and just shake their head. The bell rings and they look at me.

"We have to go to class now." Jaemin said.

I nod. "Study hard. I'm talking to you, Jisung Park." I wave them off as they walk back to their class.

Lucas POV

"Why did you tell them that we went on a date?"

"I thought you said it was a date."

"No, it was a date. I just...Why did you tell them the truth?"

"Why do I have to lie to them?" She said confused. "We went on a date so I told them we went on a date. What's wrong with it?"

I shake my head. "It's nothing." I look at Jieun. This is the woman I should be cautious of. She's such an honest person.

"Lucas, what do you want to do now?"

"Uh...I didn't think that far."

"Do you wanna go home?" She ask.

"Ah, how about dinner?" I suggest.

"Right now is lunch time."

"Well, then I'll pick you up later for dinner?"

"Sure." She nods. "Guess I head back to the coffee shop."

"I'll walk you?"

Her phones buzzes and she takes a look at it stuffing it back in her pocket. She smiles at me with a shake of her head. "No need. You should go and make a grand plan for our dinner tonight."

"Ok." I nod. "See you tonight then."

We walk separate ways.