Chapter 5

Puzzle

Taeyong POV

When I first met her, I made eye contact with her for only a split second. The second time we met, she saved me from being killed. Or so she claims.

"Get out! Out! Out! Out!" Jieun shouts pushing me back towards the door. "Get out or I'll kill you!"

"Get out or she'll murder you in your sleep." Areum ushers me out the door grabbing my hand and running for it. We stop at a corner and she burst out laughing. "God, that was funny. It's been awhile since I've seen her so angry." She turns to me. "My name is Park Areum."

"Lee Taeyong." I look down at our intertwined hands.

"Sorry." She lets go of my hand. She looks around and runs into the convenience store across the street coming out with a black plastic bag. "Jieun is super pissed right now. You have to wait until she's a bit calmer." She hands me an ice cream. "In other words, come back tomorrow."

"She's not the only one that is mad. I'm mad too." I said. "Dreamies are like our baby brothers." I clench my fist until my knuckles turned white. "If I find those s who did that to them, I'll kill them all."

"Woah. Calm down there captain." Areum said putting her hand over mine. "Instead of worrying about those people, you should be happy that Nana is out of the danger zone and Dreamies are ok." She then press a cold beer against my jaw where Jieun had punched me. "Hurts, doesn't it?"

I nod holding onto the beer. "Her punch was heavy. Was she a fighter?"

"She punched you didn't she? Can't you tell?" i shake my head. Areum laughs popping the beer open and taking a mouth full. "Don't be surprised. You're not the first person she punched. Honestly, Jieun isn't a bad person at all. She just gets a bit hot tempered when Dreamies are involved. Other than that, she's usually very bright and happy."

"You too."

"You too, what?"

"Bright and happy."

Areum laughs again. "Yeah. Jieun tells me that a lot. Calls me an optimist."

We drink the beer in silence.

"About Dream, just come back tomorrow to talk to Jieun about it. She'll still be mad, but she'll be calmer about it." She pats my back and walks off.

*******************************************************

After coming to an agreement with Jieun, we all went downstairs to check on Jaemin. We all try to squeeze information out of the boys.

"Yuta. Find them." I order.

I look at the top of the stairs. Jieun and Areum we're leaning against the door frame of the entrance. They both have loving smiles on their faces while staring at Dreamies. Areum made eye contact with me and smiled brighter. Jieun nudged her and they both walk away.

After the visit, we drove home and WinWin checks out Haechan's arm.

"They did a great job putting your bone in the right place."

"Areum noona was the one who did it." Haechan said proudly.

"Thanks, Win. It's great having a doctor on the team."

"Hey, NCT is family. I won't hesitate to help."

*******************************************************

I smile remembering Areum's smiling face.

"-yong. Taeyong! Are you listening?" Taeil asks.

I blink. "Yeah." I nod.

"What do you think?" Johnny asks.

"About?"

They all sigh. "You want us to explain the whole situation again?" Doyoung asks.

"Sorry." I apologize.

After the meeting, the rest of us continue to listen to the bug while Yuta tries to locate Dreams' attackers.

"Whiplash is a good night club." Kun suggests our night club to the ladies. They agree and head out.

"Hyung, you should go too." Jungwoo said to me. "To gather more information."

"Ok. That's a good idea." I agree.

"I'll tag along." Johnny said following me out.

We watch Jieun and Areum talking at the bar. After Jieun leaves, I walk up to Areum and take a seat next to her.

"Fancy seeing you here."

I try to squeeze information out of Areum, but instead of revealing information, she misunderstands.

"Are you...in love with her?"

"What? No." I said staring at her lips. She raises her brows at me in disbelief. To confirm my point, I grab her by the back of her neck and smash my lips against hers. We kiss for a while before pulling away.

"That isn't gonna make me spill the beans about my best friend." She said in my ear.

"That's not why I kissed you. It's just that..." I clear my throat. "You've been on my mind all afternoon."

She laughs. "Why?"

"I guess I'm attracted to you." I said leaning in for another kiss. This time, the kiss was much deeper.

"I..." Areum averts her eyes, embarrassed. "should get going."

"Do you want me to take you home?"

"No." Areum laughs. "I'll be fine on my own. Thank you."

"What the hell was that?" Johnny asks walking up to me after Areum left.

"What?" I shrug.

"We told you to get information out of her. Not seduce her."

"I can get information out of her by seducing her. Have you ever thought of that?"

"I don't know." Johnny said. "I mean, you're a weak person, TY. I wouldn't count on it."

"I'm not in love her." I claim.

"Hey." Johnny raises his hand in surrender. "Just don't hurt yourself in the process, alright."

*******************************************************

We're eating breakfast and watching TV when suddenly Dreamies shout out.

"Hey! Those are the bags that attacked us!" Haechan screams while pointing to the TV. We all turn to stare at the screen.

"Oh! It is!" Chenle confirms.

"It's the dude with the tattoo." Jisung points out.

"And the that shot Jaemin." Jeno said.

"Yesterday night an anonymous attack happened." The anchor woman states. "According to the authorities, it was an attack between two different gangs. One group is caught while the other escaped with no traces left behind."

"I didn't even locate them yet." Yuta said. "I wonder who did our job."

"Well, whoever it is. Thank you." Mark thanks no one in particular.

"Karma's a ." Johnny said.

Kun POV

"Wow." I said staring at the news on the TV. "That was fast. Guess we don't have to hunt them down."

"We?" Jieun asks.

"Um, I mean, you." I correct myself.

"Noona." Jaemin calls out.

"Nana." She runs to him. "Are you doing ok?"

He nods. "Yeah. I'm fine."

"You can go back to the house and stay with Dreamies. I bet you miss them."

"You know what I miss more than Dreamies?" Jaemin asks. "Food. Am I allowed to eat now?"

I laugh. "Yes. Of course. Do you want me to cook for you?

"Can I have take out?"

"Ok." She nods. "What do you want?"

"Chicken."

"Ok! Chicken it is. I'll be back with your chicken. Kun, please watch him."

"Sure thing." I nod. Jieun smiles and runs out the door.

"Jieun and Areum noona, doesn't know that you're part of NCT, do they?"

"What makes you think that?" I ask Jaemin.

"She's letting you work here."

"Fine. You're right. They don't. And don't tell them."

"Are you...here to spy on them?"

"Spy is a bit-"

"Are you?"

"Yes." I nod.

"Why? They're good people."

"They are good people." I agree. "It's just...there's something about Jieun that has Taeyong on alert."

"Does Jisung know about this?"

"None of the Dreamies know. You're the only one, so don't go telling the others. Please. For Taeyong hyung."

"But...that would be like...betraying Jieun noona. I can't do that to her."

"Then what about NCT? You're gonna throw us away?"

"I'm not throwing you guys away. I just want Taeyong hyung to trust in Jieun noona. If you guys can't trust her, can you guys at least trust me and Dreamies? Jieun noona is not a bad person."

"I know, but I'm sorry Jaemin. We need to take precautions."

Jaemin let out a sigh. "Fine. I understand."

*******************************************************

"Jaemin-ah, I got your chicken. I didn't know which one you crave at the moment so I order a variety." She sets the chicken down and Jaemin hugs her. "Oh. What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry." Jaemin apologizes.

"Why?" Jieun asks confused. "The one who should be sorry is the one who shot you."

"I'm just...sorry."

"If you're really sorry, you should attend school. Dreamies should help each other study, so you can all graduate. Especially Jisung. He hates studying."

Jaemin laughs. "You're the best."

"I know. Now, have some chicken." She turns to me. "Kun, you should have some too."

"Oh, I shouldn't. I'm working."

"Yah. There's no customers and I'm the boss, so you should listen to me. Have some chicken. I bought a lot."

"Ok. Thank you." I said and start eating.

"Oh, we should take some to Dreamies." Jieun states.

"Forget Dreamies. Let's just finish it here." Jaemin jokes and they both start laughing.

"Nana. Did the near death experience make you selfish?"

"I'm just kidding. How can I forget my brothers and leave them behind, right?" He said staring right at me.

Lucas POV

We all stare at each other after the recording of Jaemin and Kun's argument.

"Shouldn't you go visit them?" Jaehyun asks.

"What for?" Taeyong said.

"Uh, to show Jieun how much you trust her." Mark sarcastically replies.

"I agree with them. Jaemin knows that you don't trust Jieun, but the rest of Dreamies and the person herself doesn't know, so you have to establish that trust." Taeil said.

"Is that a good thing?" Doyoung asks. "Nana seems mad. I mean, Kun is already there spying. How would he feel if we show up too?"

"We should go." "We shouldn't go." The group said in sync. Half of the group doesn't want to go, and half of the group wants to go.

"What about you Lucas? Taeyong?"

I sigh. "Whatever Taeyong decides, I'll go with his decision." Everyone turns to Taeyong who is dead silent.

"Let's visit them. Lucas, you're coming with me." I nod and we head out.

"Taeyong!" Johnny shouts. "Remember we're trying to get information only."

"I know." He replies.

"What does that mean?" I ask Taeyong.

"Nothing." He said and we head to the coffee shop.

"Welc-." Kun turns to greet us stopping mid-word. He clear his throat. "Welcome."

"Hi. Would you like some chicken?" Jieun offers.

"No thank you." Taeyong shakes his head.

"Here to pick up Jaemin?" Jieun asks. Jaemin stares at us silently.

"No. Just here in general. Um..." Taeyong looks around the coffee shop. "Where's...Areum?"

"She's not here yet. Is there a problem?"

"Problem? No. Not at all."

"Oh. Here she is."

"Sorry I'm late." Areum huff out smoothing her hair down. "Hi." She notices us.

"Hey." Taeyong said. They both stand in front of each other awkwardly.

"Why are you here?" Areum asks.

"Oh, we're um here to um...pick up Jaemin." I turn to Taeyong with wide eyes. Didn't he just say that he's not here to pick up Jaemin earlier to Jieun?

"Oh, I see." Areum said. "Getting to eat again, huh?"

"Yeah." Jaemin nod. "After 35 hours, I finally get to eat."

"Hey, at least I got you what you wanted!" Jieun said.

"Yeah. Thank you, Jieun noona. You're the best." Jaemin smiles at her and she his hair. When Jaemin is done eating, he heads back down to the basement and Jieun goes behind the counter. Taeyong and Areum sits at a table in the corner to talk. I walk up to Jieun.

"Hey." I lean against the counter. "Since our friends are getting closer, how about you and I get closer too?" I raise my brows at her suggestively. She looks at Taeyong and Jieun then flips me off and continue to do her own thing. "Ok." I nod with a laugh.

*******************************************************

"Jaemin." Taeyong calls out to him when we leave the coffee shop.

"What?" He asks opening the car door.

"Don't tell Dreamies about Kun being a spy."

"I won't."

"Jaemin-ah." I said. "We do trust you."

"Doesn't seem like it." He said entering the car.

"Jaemin." Taeyong calls out again, when we got home, as Jaemin makes his way upstairs.

"What?" Jaemin replies stopping in his tracks turning to Taeyong. "I already said that I won't tell the other Dreamies. Or do you not trust in me either."

"Yah, that's not-"

"It's fine." Taeyong cuts me off. "I just want you to know that we're doing this to protect you and Dreamies."

"I appreciate that hyung. I really do. It's just...Jieun noona is a big part of our life. And I...don't want to doubt her."

"We're sorry Jaemin-ah. We know that this is hard for you."

"It's ok." He says and heads to his room.

*******************************************************

We continue to do what we do. Listen to Jieun through the bug. In the conference room. It's the safest place because it is sound proof from the outside and it fits all of the members.

"You're back." Jieun said.

"I'm tired."

"From doing nothing?" Jieun laughs.

"Is that Jieun noona's voice?"