Chapter 3

My secret: The promise I made that day

-Set Keys-

 

 

Dahyun let's out a hearty yawn, as she walks by the outer courts of K-p International. She looked down while feeling the morning breeze. To Dahyun, It wasn't really anything old or new, but the cold breeze definitely felt cooler from the built up fatigue.

"That's quite a yawn you got there..." a voice was heard from behind, making Dahyun whip her head back. Her eyes lock into big brown orbs, and Dahyun looked back to where she was walking to.

"Yeah, I I stayed up late from writing a piece" Dahyun said, with her head hanging low. "I just can't seem to get the best beat out of it... probably if I added lyrics something will change?" Dahyun said, while crossing her arms and tilting her head slightly as to think.

"Hmmm" Jihyo hummed. Her hands were crossed over her chest―a white clipboard in between. She then fastened her pace, and walked beside Dahyun before matching her pace. "I get that you want to write your piece but at least rest properly" she said to Dahyun with a hint of concern "You're still young and it's unhealthy, you won't grow".

Dahyun looked at Jihyo, and smiled "Don't worry, I will" she said before looking up. "Plus it's not like I need to grow, unlike a certain little cub that I kno... OW!" Dahyun felt a smack behind her head, which made her skip forward.

"YAH! UNNIE! WHY ARE YOU MOCKING MY HEIGHT THIS EARLY IN THE MORNING?!" Chaeyoung scoffed.

"Urk, I didn't see you there Chae, sorry" Dahyun said, scratching the back of her head to ease the pain.

"Are you saying that because I'm short?" the little cub said, pouting

"I didn't say anything..."  Dahyun thought to herself.

Jihyo, who was watching the two interact, laughed. "Come on you two, behave" Jihyo said.

"Yes mom" both said in unison.

 

( * )

 

It was lunch break, and Dahyun was once again at the rooftop, wanting to isolate herself from the sea of students which filled the school. She leaned back to the rails of the rooftop, and ripped open a choco pie.

"I should really stop eating chocopie for lunch everyday... It's unhealthy" she thought to herself. She smiled as she imagined Jihyo scolding her for not being a wise individual, eating healthy foods. She then takes a bite of the choco pie. She smiled at how sweet it was, it was better than coffee in the morning for the girl. She then sat down on the floor, grabbed her milk box, stabbed the straw through the foil cover, and took a sip―the best combination.

She finished her snack, and decided to lean abit on the rooftop's rails. She watched as the students in the outer courts frolic about, leaves swaying from the wind, with the clouds slowly working it's way to cover the sun. If only inspiration came in as natural as the movement of time, and as smooth as the water that rushes down a river. Sadly, she knows it doesn't go that way and sighed. She was about to close her eyes and let her imagination drift like the leaves on the wind, till she heard the door behind her open.

"I knew you would be here, unnie" a familiar voice blurted out.

Dahyun let her head hang low, before looking at the figure of the girl who called out to her. It was no other than her tall maknae, Tzuyu. She faced the girl and sat down, before inviting her over. Tzuyu nodded, and went to sit beside Dahyun before looking at the clear blue sky.

"So Tzuyu, what brings you here?" Dahyun asked, knowing that the only time Tzuyu comes up here is if she wants to relax.

"Today has been a hectic day" Tzuyu sighed, and leaned back.

Dahyun just watched as the girl closed her eyes, and relaxed. She let the silence comfort both of them, and she too closed her eyes, letting the cool breeze glide their way to where they are seated.

"What about you unnie?" Tzuyu asked, looking at Dahyun.

Dahyun's wore a worried expression, and looked up "I am trying to write a piece for my assignment... But, writers block is stopping me." she sighed, before crossing her arms. "I don't know..." she said in defeat.

"Hmmmmm?" Tzuyu hummed, and started to think. A few seconds later she snapped her fingers, pointed at the pale girl, and grinned.

Dahyun looked at the girl with curiosity, and asked "What is it?".

"Well unnie, I think what you need is a change of pace" Tzuyu said, while swaying her body, earning a hum of curiosity from the older girl. "Well, maybe it's because you keep playing the same routine, that your head is having a hard time to absorb new things" she explained.

Dahyun tilted her head, and made it rest on her right hand. "Change of pace..." Dahyun shook her head, and sighed before resting at the fence once again.

"Come on unnie! You have been isolating yourself for far too long... You need to look past, your past!" Tzuyu shouted, with her arms wide open. She then repeated the last few words under her breath, as it felt somewhat odd. "You need to move forward I mean... yeah!" she then stated proudly.

Dahyun looked at Tzuyu for a while, then smiled softly. "I wonder if it's worth it though..." she thought to herself before looking up.

 

( * )

 

The final bell rung, and silent whispers can be heard from a distance―the feeling of being stared at by watchful eyes. It's been like that ever since they transferred to K-p international. Three girls were strutting on the halls of the school, people awestruck at the beauty of the three.

"I wonder what song I should use for the project..." Momo said, while tilting her head with her index finger supporting it.

"I think you should use a moderate pace song, Momoring~" Sana adviced, while writing on her notebook.

"What do you think Minari?" the peach asked.

"Mmmmm, I think you should go with Satang's advice since it's your usual pace" Mina replied.

"Maybe... Ughhh, I'm not a big fan of interpretive dancing! Why must our project be interpretive dancing?" Momo complained.

"Well, if it makes you feel better, interpretive dancing is like freestyle dancing. But you want to portray a story" Mina explained.

Momo smiled a bit "Right, if you put it that way, I guess I can choreograph something for it".

The two girls agreed in unison, while Sana was distracted from writing.

"At least your side is easier Sana-yah" Momo groaned.

"Hey! Writing 3 reflection papers each containing at least 3 pages for 3 different books is hard in itself!" Sana complained.

Mina smiled "Yeah Momoring, we have to give Satang credit for working hard... You couldn't even finish a book in 3 weeks".

"Right Minari~" Sana agreed. 

"It's better than Sana dancing Mr. Taxi at the least~" Momo joked.

"Yah! Momoring! Don't bring that up..." Sana felt her head flush red from embarrassment. So, she covered her face with her two hands.

The two laughed it off while Sana screamed.

After some time, the three said their goodbye's as the two dancers are needed in the dance practice rooms. Sana stretched, and wandered off in the east wing. She rarely gets a chance to wander around the east wing, since it is opposite wing from the language sector. She took it as a chance to fully explore the arts territory.

Sana threaded her feet through the east wing. She managed to pass through the art section, seeing countless of paintings from students. Her eyes opened wide as she was captivated by the various colors, and engrossed in the art that seemed to show a story. Paintings of places, and even paintings of fruits can be seen posted everywhere. Her eyes were wandering around, till she see's a weird artwork with splatters and random shapes everywhere. She couldn't really see what is in the painting nor what it speaks of... but I guess it's interesting?. The signature says Chaengcasso, and she released an interested murmur.

She continued her walk, and once she reached the third floor, she can hear countless of instruments being played left and right. Some of which are bands, some are played in a united orchestra, some are full strings, some are notes from the piano's keys, and some are drums being beaten by students. She wondered around the third floor, till her steps lead her to the farthest section―where everything looks old and unkempt.

The last time she has been here was yesterday, and the sight of a sleeping tofu-like creature―who sings the notes of a piano―filled her mind. She then wondered if the girl was still there. She continued her walk till she hears nothing but soft presses on the piano's keys. A song that she knows, heck everyone knows about this piece. It was a piece that she loved to listen to when she wanted to relax.

She followed the sound, and as it grew louder, she realized where the music is coming from. She walked closer to the room, and listened by the wall beside the door.

Canon in D - Pachelbel

Sana closed her eyes as she continued to listen to the piece being played. Her body felt at ease as she relaxed. It was the same song she listened to for ages, yet, it felt different. The song felt lighter than usual, like the keys are being played softly, making it more calming. The beat isn't too fast, nor is it too slow. It showed a mix of joy and soothness. 

Leaning on the wall, she can picture a bridge on top of a pond, and she is just there, enjoying the view of the pond on top of it. It was going fine, till the chorus came in. Her eyes widened open, the song was gradually played faster, and had emphasis everytime the chord changed. "Nani?" she thought to herself, as the picture changed from a relaxing time, to a pond boat racing event―where kids race their remote controlled yachts, ships, cruises, etc. It became livelier. Her spine felt shivers as the song gradually slowed to an end, with the kids grabbing their boats, and moving farther away, bidding farewell to the pond.

She couldn't help but enter the room, and there it is, the girl with white porcelain skin. Her hair freely flowed down one side, and her eyes as sharp as a tip of a cascade. Such sharp mono-lidded eyes, staring at the keys with so much concentration. Her fingers still pressed on the piano's keys, with her foot on the pedals making the final note ring, before she closed her eyes. It was at that moment, that Sana felt her heart beat right out of her chest.

 

( * )

 

Dahyun was too entranced with playing, that she didn't notice the person watching her play inside the room with her jaw dropped. Once she stopped, she saw the girl staring at her which quickly smiled and approached her.

"Hey!~" The girl said.

Dahyun didn't say anything, but stared at the beauty in front of her. Light brown eyes were staring at sharp ones. It was the first time in a long time that the room felt warm. Like color was suddenly springing out from the girl in front of her.

"Uhmmm... Hello?" the mystery girl infront of Dahyun said, and waved her hand which made the girl squeak in surprise.  

"How cute" the mystery girl spoke under her breath, and asked "Did I disturb you playing?".

Dahyun shook her head as a reply, earning a smile from the girl. The girl then took a seat beside Dahyun, and scooted close. She watched as the girl in front of her look at her with sparkling eyes―like that of a kid seeing candy in the shop―with the want to partake of the sweet delicacy.

"Close..."  Dahyun thought to herself, and scooted a bit farther, which in turn the girl scooted closer. This act continued, till there was no more room for moving before falling off the piano seat. In the end, Dahyun sighed in defeat, and accepted the fact that the girl won't leave anytime soon.

"You play piano so well" Sana complimented.

"Thank you..." Dahyun replied.

"Can you play me a song?" Sana asked.

Dahyun looked at the girl for a considerable amount of time. "There is something about those eyes that I can't seem to refuse" Dahyun thought to herself, and realized how weird it must have been to be in this predicament. She didn't like the idea of attention―most especially from people she doesn't know―but Sana won't take no for an answer, which ended with Dahyun sighing in defeat.

"Which song?" Dahyun said sheepishly.

"Do you know any Kpop songs?" Sana asked

"Like which one?"

Sana hummed for a while, and looked up with her index finger laying on her chin as to think. "Do you know iKon love scenario?" she asked.

"I can see what I can do..." Dahyun said preping her fingers to the black and white keys of the piano. She started with pressing a few keys, till she got the right one for the song. She then continued till she got all of the chords done. She cleared , and started playing it.

As the song started with one quick rift, the girl beside her started to sing the introduction.

"Sarangeul haessda uriga manna, jiuji mothal chueogi dwaessda"

Dahyun's eyes widened, as she heard the softest of voices sing. She then matched it by adding stress to every key, all the while releasing it swiftly, yet softly making each note ring.

Both of them closed their eyes, and enjoyed their time jamming. It has been a while since Dahyun had fun playing a song with someone other than Chaeyoung―and that was at least a few years back.

The song was reaching it's conclusion, and Dahyun started playing it softer and slower.

"Sarangeul haessda, uriga manna... geugomyeon dwaessda neol saranghaessda"

The song ended.

"That was amazing! It was so much fun~" The girl beside her stated, staring directly at two dark brown orbs.

"Yeah... I guess it was" Dahyun replied with a sheepish smile.

The girl looked at Dahyun with contempt, before closing her eyes still humming the chorus of love scenario. "OH GOODNESS ME!" she then stood up, and looked at Dahyun while bowing a few times. "I must have been so rude, for barging in here and asking to play one song without properly introducing myself" the girl said.

"She just thought about that just now?" Dahyun thought to herself, before shaking it off "It's fine really...".

"No it's not!" the girl said, shaking her head before reaching out her hand "I'm Sana, Minatozaki Sana. A language major in english literature" she stated.

Dahyun nodded "I'm Dahyun, Kim Dahyun Music major in piano" she replied, and slowly reached out her hand to the girl infront of her. Once the fingertips touched, Sana swiftly took hold of Dahyun's hand and clasped it. It caught Dahyun off guard at how touchy Sana is. It was a weird feeling for Dahyun, knowing how much she didn't like new crowds, nor new faces. But there was something about Sana, which makes her want to trust someone out of her small circle of friends once again. Yet she completely shut it off.

"I'm sorry? What I heard was Kim Dubu (Tofu in korean)" Sana said with a playful smile.

She looked at her hand that was being held, before looking away. She didn't want to look at the light brown eyes that seem to find it's way to dig down the Dahyun's thoughts.

After a while, she felt a hand cup her cheek, and the hand directed Dahyun's face to look straight to the girl. "My face is right here you know" she said, giggling now. Dahyun can feel her face heat up. Her face flushed red at the small act. "What is wrong with this person, she's scary... too bold for a normal human being" she thought to herself. "I... It's Dahyun" she stuttered.

Sana hummed happily, before fully letting go of the girl. "That wasn't that hard now wasn't it?" she said, sitting upright now. Dahyun looked at the piano keys instead, she wanted to stand up and run away―after excusing herself―but she can't seem to find any strength, nor the will to do so. She then rested her hands on her lap, and twiddled her thumbs while looking at it.

Sana smiled at the sight of the bashful girl, something inside her was stirred. Like a switch was opened, a switch where she just wanted to continue and tease the girl infront of her. It was something she was used to doing to anyone, but she wanted to put extra effort for the girl infront of her. She opened to say something, but she was cut by a vibrating phone.

"Who could that be?" Sana thought to herself. She then grabbed her phone on her skirt pocket and smiled as she sees the name.

Minari chan <3

-Satang, we're done for todays practice. Let's meet at the canteen in 7 mins

-Hai! Minari~ I'm on my way there ;)

"Looks like our time has to be cut short Dahyunnie" Sana said, with a wink before standing up. Sana turned, and took a step but didn't move from her spot. Instead, she went to Dahyun, and showed her phone "Can you fill this survey for me?".

Dahyun tilted her head slightly, and raised a brow. "Sur... vey?" she said, and looked at the phone screen closely. Her eyes widened before looking at Sana then back to the phone. Dahyun sighed, and deadpanned―it was a new contact page.

Dahyun reached for the phone and typed something, before closing the screen and giving it back to Sana.

Sana smiled, and walked away. "Nice and smooth Sana" she thought, to herself and smiled.

 

tbc

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Author's note:

Hey guys! hope you enjoyed chapter 3, the first two chapters were more on introduction while the next remainder of the series is about the story line in itself.

I always had fun writing the story, and I am having a hard time to cut the chapters short. I want it to be long but not too long that you guys will be bored... or something :P

By the way, special thanks to theoceanhues for accepting to make a cover photo to replace my half-assed one~ WOOO!

Thanks to YozoraSenpaii for upvoting ;w; It means a lot to me seeing that people are enjoying what little things I write huhu!

Anyways, I want to know what you guys think about the story, I do plan on putting other ships than Saida, but the main ship will still be Saida.

Too many people to give thanks for subscribing so I will just say thanks for subscribing my story. I didn't set it to subscribers only, yet I still see a growing amount of subscribers daily >w< It means ALOT to me seeing you want to be ready for updates. 

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to comment, and if you have things about the story that you don't like (If any), or  things that you like the most (If any too)

See you in my next update~

BTW (Expect either MiChaeng, 2Yeon, JiTzu, MiMo, DubChaeng, ChaeTzu, etc. in later updates)