Hope

My secret: The promise I made that day

Morning came and nothing can make this day any better for Dahyun. She woke up early, read the bible, prayed, made breakfast and prepared for whatever life may come her way.

It was one of those pleasant days that seem to make anything, I mean anything brighter. From the cool morning breeze blowing the shaking leaves, to the silent streets that were filled with gentle footsteps and running bike chains. There are people casually cleaning their front yards, and piling up fallen leaves. The rising sun and it's gentle heat kissing cold skin. It captivates the start of the new autumn season. 

"Momo-Chan! It's too cold!", Sana whined while seeking the warmth and comfort of her grey wool scarf and her cream-colored cardigan.

"Yes it is", Momo replied as she was getting her books and notes while fixing her stuff from her locker.

"Momo-Chan! It's freezing!", Sana whined a bit louder and a bit higher-pitched than the last. 

"Yes, Sana, it is...", Momo replied

After a while, Sana rubbed her hands together to produce heat and blew hot breath over them. Once she felt the heat dissipate, she began rubbing them again and whined once more, "Motang! It's so–".

*Bang*

She was cut with a loud bang coming from the metal door of the locker being slammed shut. "Yah! Sana! It's 6:25 in the morning, I don't have the energy for your shiz" Momo spat out before crossing her hands over her chest and stared at the brown-haired girl still trying to find the heat she needed for the cool weather. After a brief moment, Sana looked at her cold hands, before pulling up her scarf closer to her face. "But Momoring..."

"What?!"

"It's cold..."

Momo deadpanned at the pestering girl. After a moment of silence, she turned straight to the youngest Japanese in the group, and complained while hugging her, saying, "Minari! Satang is annoying me!"

After a soft giggle from the youngest, she placed her books in her backpack and pushed Momo away so she can wear it. She then placed her index finger on her chin and thought out loud (A/N: Thinking out softly?), saying, "Hmmm? But it is cold Moguri".

This made Momo take a step back in disbelief, and said, "Gaaaah! Not you too Minari Chan!". "Momo...", she heard Sana speak from behind, making her turn around to face the english major, "What?!"

"It's cold..."

Momo cursed under her breath, "Chikuso!". Which made the youngest out of the three clicked her tongue in annoyance, and said, "Language Momoring".

Momo scratched the back of her head and sighed in defeat, before screaming out in frustration. "Gaaaah! I'm going to buy tonkatsu and get further away from this madness!", she said before walking away from the two.

As the two watched Momo walk away, Sana looked at the younger girl, and called out to her, "Minari..."

"Yes, Satang?" Mina replied softly, never forgetting to show her caring and loving gummy smile.

"I'm cold..." Sana stated blandly.

Mina looked at her unnie and went in deep thought. After some time, she shook her head slowly, and said, "Mmmmm, want a hug then?"

Sana's face warmed up a bit and she smiled, "Yes, I would love that!~".

Mina laughed softly and said, "Too bad, I have classes starting early today. Apparently Sir. Otonashi wants us to write feedback and assessment papers". After a while, she tightened her backpack strap and walked towards class, never forgetting to say "Goodbye", after kissing the girl's cheek.

Sana sighed to herself and looked down on her shoes. "I'm still cold...", she thought to herself before walking towards her own classroom. 

Deprived of warmth and affection, Sana continued her walk towards the second floor of the east wing. It was when she heard whispers about a certain tofu colored girl entering school that made her look down at the gate. There she saw the said girl walking by, with a smile.

As Dahyun took a step inside the campus, she was once again flabbergasted by the trailing gazes and audible whispers being sent her way by her schoolmates. Not wanting or used to the attention given to her, she bowed her head low and started to brisk walk towards the entrance of the west wing.

When she reached her locker, she opened it and grabbed whatever books she needed for the first half of school, when she felt two hands making their way from her sides to her stomach, till she was suddenly subjected to a back hug. The action made her flinch and freeze on the spot but soon relieving tension after hearing a satisfied sigh.

"Warmth~" the person behind her voiced out.

Dahyun stood there for a while, let the girl hug her till she was satisfied. But the girl was hugging her for too long, and being the introverted person she was that never received any form of skinship—from people that is not a family member—for a long period of time, she suddenly felt uncomfortable, and asked, "Unnie, what are you doing?".

Sana snuggled up closer and rubbed her face over Dahyun's blazer, saying, "Seeking warmth..."

The brown-haired girl stayed in place for a while, before Dahyun decided to speak up, "Uhuh... for how much longer will you be clinging to me?".

Sana whispered softly while pulling the pale girl closer to her, saying, "Till I feel warm enough"

Dahyun felt her cheeks warm up. For chilly weather such as today, she felt hot. "Uh... unnie, you're too close", Dahyun said after swallowing the thick lump of air forming on her dry throat.

The hesitation on the pale girl's voice made the older girl all the more confident. "What was that? Da-hyu-nie~", she whispered even closer the pale girl's ear. With each syllable, a more close and airy whisper.

By now, Dahyun could feel dry up from an unknown source of heat. She could swear that it feels like a warm summer day and not like a chilly autumn breeze. After the tight hug, she heard the girl behind her giggle, and say "I'm warm enough now, see you later Dahyun!~", before leaving.

Dahyun then watched the girl vanish in the horizon while in a dumbfounded state. "I swear, that girl will be the death of me...", she muttered out after a deep sigh and pushing her frames in place.

 

 

( * )

 

 

Lunch break started and Dahyun decided that it was best to eat at the rooftop. So she texted Chaeyoung and Tzuyu before heading out to the old building's rooftop. As she was headed to the rooftop, she heard loud noise coming from one of the classrooms. Whispers she knew all too well. She checked the open room and she saw people pointing at one girl, while talking in a mocking manner. 

She looked at the girl being bullied and her head was directly planted on her desk. Dahyun felt hurt, so she quickened her pace, all the while trying to ignore the situation. She knew the pain of it all and it hurt her too much. How bad it feels to be mocked, and the loud voices that seem to be playing in repeat almost every second of the day. She then quickened her pace towards the rooftop.

"Lowering your head won't cancel out the noise... it amplifies it...", she thought to herself as she the remaining chocolate out of her milk box. She gave a deep sigh and fixed her garbage properly. Before putting on some earphones to listen to whatever music is on queue. She then went to her clock application and set up an alarm 10 minutes before break ends. She then placed her blazer over her body before closing her eyes. She spent the time sleeping.

Her sleep was interrupted though when she felt eyes on her, and it was up close. She slowly opened her eyes and saw a blurry face. She blinked her eyes twice for it to adjust from its groggy state. She saw light brown orbs looking directly at her. Startled from the view, she moved back and hit her head on the metal fence. After the loud clank, she stood up and held the back of her head, before crouching down while rubbing on the sore spot.

Sana looked at the pale girl in worry and went to try to ease the pain by rubbing the sore spot and kissing it. The kiss made Dahyun look at Sana in a disgusted manner and rub it away in detest.

The act made Sana giggle and hug the pale girl tightly. After a good amount of time. Dahyun broke the hug and went back sitting down. Sana followed suit and sat beside the pale girl. It had been normal for the two to sit together and just chat about how their day started, till lunchtime ended.

"... and Mina she—" the brown-haired girl stopped in her tracks when she saw the pale girl a bit more down than usual. "Hey, what's up?", she asked softly while showing genuine concern.

Dahyun looked at the older girl and shook her head. "Oh... nothing...", she voiced out low.

"Come on, you can tell me anything", Sana replied with a smile. Dahyun looked and observed the face of the girl she was communicating to. She was having second thoughts on whether she should say anything, but as soon as she noticed the girl's genuine concern, she decided it was fine to pour her heart out on the girl once more.

"Well... I saw someone get bullied a while ago, and it kinda bummed me out", she stated.

"Oh... what did you do about it?", Sana asked

"That's the thing, I didn't do anything...", Dahyun said while crossing her arms over her chest.

Sana didn't say anything, she just let the girl continue with her story.

"How do I expect to change if I can't even do small things like that?", Dahyun ranted.

"Hey, we all got to start somewhere, right?", Sana stated.

Dahyun scratched the back of her head before saying, "Yeah, but I mean... I don't even know where to start".

It was Sana's turn to cross her arms. She pouted a bit and placed her index finger on her chin, making it rest there. "Well, not everyone can do something big initially, you have to start small. I mean, no one can be that good in their craft at the beginning, right?".

"Yeah..." Dahyun nodded, she made sure to take in everything that was being said to her.

"Also, not everyone can do everything as well, right?", Sana added.

"Yeah..."

"Then do what you can in your own pace", Sana stated with a snap. She then looked at Dahyun and gave her a big smile.

Dahyun looked at Sana before looking at the cloudy sky. "I don't know... I just wish I can do something big n-ouch!", she screamed out when she felt a finger flick her forehead. She then rubbed the spot and looked at Sana.

"Take your time young padawan, cause at the end of the day... it's night time~", Sana happily stated as she wore her backpack and fixed her scarf.

Dahyun looked at Sana in a confused manner. "I don't get it", she stated.

Sana laughed before saying, "You have all the time in the world Dahyunnie~". She then got up and asked Dahyun to walk with her going to their classes, or at least until the lockers. 

She looked at the time and it was 2 minutes before her alarm would go off, so she turned off the alarm and packed her things before following the girl.

 

 

( * )

 

 

*Ding Dong* *Ding Dong*

Dahyun decided to end her day at the rooftop again. She left the classroom—never forgetting to text Chaeyoung that she will be going at the rooftop today—and headed towards.

She was walking along the old building when she heard crying in one of the old rooms. Her footing slowed down to an extent as she tried to follow the voice. She walked and check room per room, and with every room she checked, her steps grew heavier and her strides longer.

"Why? Why am I trying to find whose voice this is?"

She continued her rush, not this room... not that...

"This is none of my business..."

She felt her heartbeat louder and stronger than normal.

"So Why? Why... do I..."

After entering the last room she hasn't check yet. Her favorite old music room. There she saw a petite girl with bunny-like features, crying her eyes out.

At first, she wanted to step out and leave the girl just so that she can have her time alone. But she stopped when she heard a silent mutter, clouded by deep sobs.

"I-it's un-fair... Why... w-hy me?..."

As she listened to the small girl cry, she felt the whole world stop. She watched as the girl cried her heart out, telling herself that "everything is going to be ok", or even encouraging herself to stay strong. But it was overpowered by her hard sobbing with deep questions about why things happened the way it did. How bad life has been and how nothing she does has been right.

"Life is so unfair! Why am I even here in this school... why am I in this place? Why was I born in this stupid world!" The girl bawled out. 

And it hit her, the reason why she was so desperately seeking for the source of the hurtful cries. The reason why she was enthralled with the painful sobs. What she feels when seeing the girl crying was not of pity, but of sympathy.

 

----

 

"I'm sorry, I don't want to play with you", a voice from behind was heard.

"Vampire! I bet she would our blood! Runaway!", she covered her ears with her hands.

"Don't go near her, she's a ghost. Everything she touches vanishes", she could hear the loud whispers being directed to her as she crouched down into a ball.

"That girl is a bad omen", She felt fingers pointing at her.

"Pity, losing her mother at such a young age", false gossip was spreading faster than a running gazelle.

"I heard her father left her for work cause he doesn't like seeing THE REASON why his wife died"

"Wasted talent..."

"The cursed pianist"

And it kept going. The voices inside her head were loud and ringing to the point of it being deafening.

Empty...

She felt empty...

Different voices fighting out...

Each saying different things...

"Everything I do is a mistake..."

"Nothing good comes out from anything I do..."

"My hands are cursed... Everything I touch becomes a disaster... until nothing is left"

"Worthless... Everything I do is worthless..."

"Maybe I should just quit..."

"I'm useless anyway..."

"Like a wrap of candy, thrown away after holding something that's of more value..."

"Why should I even play the piano? It will all be in vain anyways!"

"Maybe that too will disappear..."

"Why should—"

"Why do you play?", a different voice than herself was being heard.

"Why... do I play?" She questioned herself, not believing the situation she was at. The cliche line that you usually hear only in dramas

"Hey Dahyun, why do you want to learn to play the piano?" A voice all too familiar as the past kept playing on the back of her head.

"Because mommy plays the violin well! And I want to play side by side with you soon on a professional level!"

"Mmm... is that so?", Mrs. Kim stated.

"Yes!", The girl happily replied.

"Why?" Mrs. Kim asked, her hands still steady on the wheel.

"Because when mommy plays, people get happy! I want people to be happy too when I play!", little Dahyun stated while playing with the seatbelt strap that was buckled up tightly.

"That's a big dream", the mother replied.

"Is it?", Dahyun replied tugging hardly on the seatbelt now till an all to familiar click was heard stopping the belt from the force of the strong tug.

"A bit" Mrs. Kim replied softly.

Dahyun let go of the belt and felt it push her closer to the seat before putting her chest twice with a fist, and said, "Nothing is too big for a Kim Dahyun!~"

"Is that so?" Mrs. Kim replied with a smile.

"Mmhmm! Plus, the piano is fun!~", Dahyun replied with big gestures by waving her arms outwards in a full stretch.

Mrs. Kim laughed softly in agreement at the reply. She then nodded her head, and said, "Is it now?" 

Dahyun nodded in reply followed by a quick, "yup!", then added, "Plus, granpa loves it when I play the piano"

Mrs. Kim smiled. She felt pride rising up on her chest. Without hesitation, she said, "You will change the world someday and bring smiles to millions of people around the world".

"Really!?", she asked with shining eyes.

"Yes!~ And who knows, you might even perform on stage, sell lots of tickets under 20 minutes, and if you really want, be in a group with 8 more girls just as talented and as beautiful as you"

"Why 8?", Dahyun looked at her mother curiously.

Mrs. Kim then shrugged, and said, "random number on my head", without forgetting to concentrate on the road.

"Uhuh..." Dahyun said while crossing her arms, tilting her head to the right slightly, closing her eyes, and pouting her lips in a manner of thinking.

Mrs. Kim watched as her baby girl was doing silly little gestures. She then shook her head slowly, and said, "I'm proud of you Dahyun" while using her right hand to rub Dahyun's head.

It was Dahyun's turn to laugh this time. She then happily said, "I know~", all the while enjoying the skinship with her mother.

"Keep being my sweet baby girl ok?"

Dahyun nodded with a smile, and said, "Mmmhmm! I will!"

"Great! Now let's go to that concert!"

 

---

 

A Moment of Tenderness - Martha Duval

As the piano was heard, the crying girl stopped and focused on the pianist. The hope she was exuding with every press of the ivory keys. The song continued and the girl felt her body be more at ease, and in a trance, she sat back and relaxed at the corner and closed her eyes all the while listening to the piano.

Rest...

That's what she felt. Like sitting on a field with nothing to see but light clouds on clear blue skies. Like there was no problem in the world. She felt her breathing go back to normal, as she wiped her salt-stained-tear-dried cheeks.

Dahyun played until the song was over. She gave time for the girl to shut her eyes and enter the world of dreams. She felt her phone vibrate from a text, and she checked whose contact it was. And who would've guessed? It came from none other than Sana.

 

[1 Sana <3]

-Where are you at?

-Hmmm.... why are you asking?

-Nothing :P

-Uhuh... Don't you have Mina unnie and Momo unnie to be bugging?

-Yes... No... They are busy with dance practice and I am bored out of my mind.

-Don't be bugging me then

-*Gasp*
I'mma find you anyways ;) Not like you have many places to go to.

-Uhhh, I went home already. So good luck finding me.

-No you haven't

-Hmmm? How can you say that?

-Cause my dismissal happened 30 mins earlier than you and I've been just down here by the gate waiting for someone to go out with.
-That, and I literally heard the most beautiful song being played by the old building.

...
-If you know where I was, then why ask?

 

"Cause you're too cute", a voice by the door was heard. Dahyun smiled, and asked the girl to close the door softly.

 

 

[tbc]

 

A/N: Hi guys, I wrote this chapter due to my salty self, who wasn't able to go to TWICE LIGHTS MANILA due to me being here up on the mountain top of Baguio. It ;w;

More of Dahyun's past is being revealed. As I said, I at writing these kinds of things. I write only one-shots so continuing this story is a bit of a stretch, but we are getting there xD

Sorry if this took a while, I was supposed to post it earlier this week, but I wasn't completely satisfied with it. So I took out some parts and added then moved it so that it becomes the story that I wanted.

I managed to bring back the other things I used to write, like the ding dong part. And I plan to redo a lot of things too... Like, soon after this story has finished, I will fix all the chapters and probably remove the A/N's after every chapter, and give one big A/N at the ending. Cause yes, this story is about to end soon ;w; But it has been a blast!~

See you next chapter!