Change

My secret: The promise I made that day

"Wow, your image is certainly changing", a voice from behind was heard. Dahyun, who was walking towards her classroom, stopped the moment she heard the sentence directed to her. She looked back and saw Nayeon, with her hand over the shoulder of Yeri. Dahyun smiled a nervous smile. "Who's fault do you think that is?", she thought to herself before shaking it off. "R-r-eally? ch-change how?".

The two girls exchanged glances for a while, before laughing and looked directly at the pale girl. "No need to be stiff, Dahyun. You're better than that!" Yeri snickered softly, before placing her hand over Dahyun's head.

Nayeon rolled her eyes, before removing the younger's hand off of the pale girl, "Come on Yeri, no need to bully her". After a defeated sigh from Yeri, she directed her attention to Dahyun to pat the girl's head. "And I mean, after what you've done a while ago, with the 'Nako' incident, then yes"

Dahyun looked at the older girl in curiosity, and said, "Yes, what?".

Nayeon laughed to herself softly, and said, "Apparently, people have finally seen your charm, and you have been gaining recognition from others. That and I heard that you became more approachable". 

"It's thanks to me!~" Yeri blurted out proudly, making Dahyun deadpan at the statement. "No, really... it's not", she replied.

Yeri then covered in a clueless retort, saying, "What!? After the video I posted online, people started looking at you in a different light—yow!". She screeched in pain from a heavy smack on her shoulder by Nayeon. "Yaaah! Nayeon-ah! What was that for? Do you know how big and heavy your hands are?! You !".

Nayeon grinned to herself, before flicking back a lock of her hair with a proud remark. "That's what you get for picking on one of my dear dongsaengs".

Yeri rubbed her shoulder lightly to soothe the pain from the older girl's hand, and said, "Pffft, you're no fun! Hmph!", while pouting.

With a delighted smirk, she went to put an arm around Yeri's waist, and said, "Please, no one can bully Dahyun but me". This made Dahyun's mouth open in disbelief. She opted to say something, but her nerves seemed to stop her from doing so. That and the two girls seem to be fighting before her, making it hard to join the conversation.

"Oh, I see how it is. Nayeon and her collection of 'little sisters'". Yeri spat out, removing the arm off her waist. This made Nayeon laugh and return the tease, saying, "You're just jealous since you can never be part of my little sisters! Bleh!".

Yeri grinned and said, "Pffft, who needs to be your little sister when you can be a best friend", all the while putting both of her hands on her hips and bending forward slightly. Nayeon in turn, crossed her arms and leaned slightly towards Yeri's direction and smirked back, saying, "Oh you!~"

Yeri followed it up with an, "I'm still prettier though", knowing how much it will affect the older girl. 

Nayeon gasped and covered her open mouth with her right hand. Irritated, she replied, "Not true! I am the prettiest".

Yeri pushed further, "Next to me? You're just number two". Not forgetting to put emphasis on the 'two' by bringing up two fingers in front of her, and onto the face of the older girl. 

Nayeon flinched back at the hand that was near her face, and slowly smiled. She flipped her hair back with her free hand, and said, "I get more dates than you and you know it". This time, it was Yeri's turn to flinch, after a while, she too thought of a good comeback and said, "Doesn't mean you're prettier though".

With a prideful smile, Nayeon said, "Yes it does!~"

Returning the prideful smile, Yeri denied hard, saying, "Nope".

"Yes!~"

"NoPE", Yeri said, making sure to emphasize the 'pe' by popping her lips.

"Yes!"

The two exchanged childish bantering for quite some time, and the longer it dragged on the more the two girls look like they want to murder each other. Dahyun thought that this may be the best time for her to leave, so she slowly stepped back. But froze into place after she heard the two girls scream directly towards her.

"Dahyun! Who's prettier, me or her?!"

Dahyun looked at the two and gulped. All her chances of escaping the small feud vanished in front of her eyes. And now, the pressure given to her by her two unnies added up with the stress that is building up.

After a while, Nayeon pushed yeri away and went straight to hug the pale girl. "It's me isn't it?", she cooed making sure to pat the hear of the pale girl. This did not make it any lighter for the pale girl though.

"Uhhhh..."

"It's neither, I am prettier than both of you. Now go move along and leave Dahyun alone, she is obviously uncomfortable" A voice from behind was heard. It did not take long for the two girls to gulp and look back.

Nayeon was the one who voiced out a reaction, saying "Jihyo?!", in a surprise.

"Booo! Party pooper!" Yeri added and this did not make well with the student council president.

Jihyo clicked her tongue as she looked at Yeri not even feeling sorry for "So I see that you have the guts to talk back given the current state you are at huh?"

Yeri stook out her tongue and feigned ignorance, saying, "Whatever do you mean?"

Jihyo smiled and brought out the student handbook and started scolding the two girls "Let's see, screaming in the hallways, fighting, basically ruining the school's peace by your loud voices"

Yeri flinched in shock and jumped back. "What?! But that is normal between the two of us" she explained.

Jihyo sighed in defeat, knowing the background of the troublesome girl before her, "That does not make you at any way right, nor does it justify your actions".

Yeri pushed once more, saying, "Just a little noise won't hurt anyo-"

"Harassing a student in the school is also an offense". This time, Jihyo cut her mid-sentence, and the anger and the shallowing stare that the president gave with her huge eyes made the girl stop in her tracks.

"Urk"

Nayeon shook her head as she saw Yeri freeze in spot and pulled her away, knowing how bad it would be for the student council president to be angry. Most especially due to an offense. Jihyo is a nice person, no doubt about that. But she is very strict when it comes to rules. So like any other student, Nayeon bowed and said sorry while making Yeri do the same. After apologizing, Yeri opened once more to try to say something, but she was once again cut off by the stare of the council president.

"Move along girls, just move along" Jihyo ended.

"Yes!" Both of them said before leaving, with Nayeon never forgetting to say, "See you soon Dahyun-ah!"

Jihyo once again, sighed and looked back to the pale girl and said, "Sorry for those two..."

With a smile of relief, Dahyun said, "It's fine, you came in just in time". Making the older girl smile in accomplishment. "Then I am glad", she replied.

After a quick nod, Dahyun hugged Jihyo tight and said, "Thanks, unnie". Making the President smile in relief, before returning the hug. "Sheesh, you ought to go now too, before you get late".

"Yes, mom!" Dahyun replied before going on her way to class.

 

( * )

 

The day has ended and Dahyun decided to head for the old music room. Step by step, she drew closer to her destination. As she opened the door, there she saw a perfect figure cleaning the wooden base of the piano. After a while, she heard a light giggle, before the girl uttered the words, "So, are you just gonna check me out? or are you coming in?". The statement made Dahyun step back in surprise. She then felt her face heat up, saying, "N...n-no...No I wasn't", she stuttered. The girl giggled once more before looking back, sitting down on the piano's seat, and patting on the space beside her.

Dahyun swallowed the lump on . It felt dry. "What is wrong with me?", she thought to herself before shaking it off and placing her fingers on black and white keys.

Clean...

The keys are clean, it just shows how much time the girl before her put into cleaning the instrument. Not a spec of dust was left on any key. Dahyun could tell from that alone, that the person was cleaning the piano for quite some time. Note by note, she checked till every key is tuned. Once she was satisfied with everything, she smiled and placed her hands on her lap

"You know... I've been practicing piano myself" Sana said, wanting to break the silence. Dahyun looked back at Sana and tilted her head in curiosity, and said, "Really? that's news to me". That statement made Sana laugh and shake her head, saying, "What do you mean by that?".

"Well, for starters. You seem like someone who is more interested in watching and listening to people play than actually playing yourself", Dahyun stated in a matter of factly. This made Sana pout and complain, saying, "Yaaaah! I too have different things I want to try and be good at!". Dahyun smiled a bit and nodded, "Well, why don't you show me how you play?".

That comment made Sana nod in delight and puff out her chest in pride, but as soon as she placed her fingers on black and white keys, she hesitated. Her fingers were on the keys for a time, till she decided to breathe in and out, while never forgetting to put her game face on. Slowly but carefully, she played a song that Dahyun knows all too well.

Pachelbel - Canon in D

The way she played the song was mistimed and clumsy. There were some notes missing and the coordination of her two hands is not as great, but it was good enough for a beginner. As the song come to its chorus, she said, "I'm not as good as you yet, nor can I play with two hands the majority of the time... In fact, I never even thought I would want to play the piano... It's usually just me pressing random keys when it comes to it". Dahyun listened and nodded in agreement. She had zero to no clue as to why the girl was telling her this, but she just continued to listen.

"But you know? After hearing you play the piano and how you were so entranced, it made it look like as if you were telling a story" Sana exclaimed with a smile, making Dahyun break into a shy one herself. "And it's because of that moment when you played this exact song, that I pushed myself to learn how to play... And I must say, it was both enticing and frustrating at the same time" she added.

The song was reaching its end at this point in time, and Dahyun was enjoying the little tune being played by the older girl. "But really, I just want to thank you for opening this door of playing the piano for me. I will definitely practice and be better soon!". That sentence moved Dahyun in a different way, she smiled and felt her heart melt. "For the first time in a long time... I've actually done something to help others...".

As the song came to an end, Sana heard Dahyun enter Cannon in D once more, all the while gesturing Sana to join her play with a nod and a welcoming smile. She watched as the girl's face brightened, and her eyes sparkle. After she joined in, they both ended with enjoying their duet. After everything, they closed the fallboard, packed up, and left the room. As Dahyun locked up, she watched as Sana walked further away from her with a happy and cheerful expression. It made her think and remember the times when she used to cheer up both Chaeyoung and Tzuyu when they were younger. And this was not possible if it wasn't for that happy-go-lucky girl in front of her. With a smile, she mouthed a silent, "Thank you", before being called by the said girl.

"Faster Dahyun-ah! You're too slow~" Sana said, making Dahyun nod and smile.

"Coming"

 

[End]

 

A/N: 

 

That was a pretty long wait huh? Well, it was worth it!~ I think. I had all the time and imagination to write on days I felt good about my self and on times that I was stressed. So reading your comments really motivated me even more to write and it also relieved soooooo much stress.

I changed how I wrote the title, etc. It just makes it look waay better imo. Anywho, I hope you enjoy the chapter, have a good day, and God bless!~