Epilogue - The reunion

Beautiful Truth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

RILIE (2018)

 

     “It’s been eight years since U-Know and Max of TVXQ have been on our show!” The hostess gushes as the audience welcomes Yunho and Changmin on stage. Changmin and Yunho both waves and greets the crowd in a familiar synchronization. “Now, today is a very special occasion for Max, because he has officially gotten engaged today—” Congratulatory whoops rise from the audience and occasional disappointed sighs blends in with the dissonance. The hostess waves her hand in the air with a big smile, settling the commotions, “don’t be too disappointed fans! I’m sure you all still reserve a very special spot in the heart of TVXQ.”

      “That’s right,” Changmin confirms, “I’m never going to forget my fans.”

     “Speaking of Changmin’s engagement,” the hostess turns to face Yunho unexpectedly. “How do you feel about the engagement, U-Know? Years ago, it’s been reported that Changmin’s fiancée was your girlfriend who has legitimately moved in with you. Is this true?”

      Changmin eyes Yunho worriedly, but Yunho reassures both his friend and the hostess with a broad grin. “Yes, it is.”

      “Did it ever occur to you that the both of you will someday fall in love with the same girl?”

      “No.”

      “What happens when she was between you two?” The hostess urges enthusiastically, “did she ever affect your friendship in any way?”

      Yunho and Changmin exchange a secretive glance and curve their lips. Changmin crosses his legs as he faces the hostess with a debonair attitude. “Well, what do you think?”

      Yunho chuckles lightly to himself as he hears his best friend’s suave tone: the childish edges in Changmin’s voice have disappeared and over the years he has matured in more than one way... But to Yunho, he has always stayed the same. Ever since that night in 2011, when Changmin barges into their shared condominium after a twenty-hour flight and gives him a solid embrace, Yunho knew there would never be a permanent division between them. He knew back then that the Changmin has never really changed at all.  

      “We don’t, so give us the scoop!” The hostess presses, “How did you two manage to resolve this situation, then?”

      The chipper voice of the hostess brings Yunho from his reverie. He doesn’t need to look at Changmin to know that he has the same answer in mind.

      “Let go.” Yunho answers.

      The hostess blinks.

      Changmin nods in agreement. “All three of us.”

      A deliberate murmur floats aloft the audience, as the crowd curiously guesses the implications behind their mysterious words. The hostess chuckle awkwardly to break the ice, “well, in either case, I believe she is a lucky girl to be loved—or once loved—by both of you. Speaking of which, where is the bride-to-be?” The hostess glances backstage and examines the audience, clapping her hands together vivaciously,“perhaps she can come up here right now!”

      “Actually,” Yunho draws her attention back to the interview, “she’s at her graduation ceremony now, receiving her Doctorate degree for biochemistry.”

      Changmin nods and glances down at his watch, his expressions grave. “...And we are also terribly la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter