The Witness

I Can See Where Your Eyes Land
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seulgi barely ate that night, her mind unwantedly drifting to Joohyun's whereabouts despite trying hard to convince herself that the other girl was fine.. and enjoying her time with Bogum.

She thought about packing up some things to ask Seungwan if she could stay that night but she was more worried of Joohyun returning only to find the unit empty. Besides, the night sky was apparently cloudy, who knows if another thunderstorm is brewing?

In the end, she just resorted to finding Seungwan tomorrow at school than leaving her place- their place. 

But Seulgi began to think otherwise, as the clock continued ticking and there was no sign of her unnie coming back yet. It's getting late and worry was beginning to itch within her again. She fiddled with her phone, her fingers aching to call or text Joohyun but she was afraid of disturbing the older one. Maybe she's already on her way. Yeah, maybe it's just the heavy traffic outside. Snap out of it, Seulgi.

Thirty minutes became an hour and that hour turned into two, three more hours of waiting for the bear. Her eyes were already droopy, having nothing more to do and distract her since she's already done with her homework. She finally decided to go to her bed, consoling herself that her unnie, despite being late will return. It's just that the presence of the latter makes her feel comfortable and now she can't help but wonder what was making her take too long to come back. She trusts Joohyun, but not Bogum. Who knows what that bastard is capable of? She always had this unsettling feeling whenever he sees the young man. That's why she never wanted him for Joohyun, her love was just too good for him. She had this instinct of silently protecting her unnie against those boys who try to hit on her. But Bogum- well, Joohyun's blush and smiles just says it all. She can't do anything to ward him off, maybe, at least for now. It makes her chest ache, especially everytime Joohyun invites her to go with them when they hangout. She can't stand those times that Joohyun would be a klutz and Bogum would be the one to catch her before she makes a mess. I could do better than that. She can't bear to look at her unnie whenever Bogum holds her hand, or when he pokes the top of her nose that would automatically send a pink tint on her cheeks. She can't.

As she lay on her bed, she scrolled on her phone, contemplating once again whether to call Joohyun or not, but her eyes went down the list, landing to Seungwan's name. I could really use a friend right now.

She pressed the call button and waited for the other one to reply.

"Seulgi?"

"Wan-ah.."

"Let me guess. He's back? They made up?"

One of the things that Seulgi liked and admired about Seungwan was her ability to realize situations quickly that she doesn't even need to explain everything in detail. Seungwan knows, she won't be called smart for nothing. Seulgi bitterly smiled at her friend's inquiry.

"I know I didn't have to say so much for you to understand what's happening. Yeah, they.. they made up." She let out a bitter chuckle.

"Seulgi-ah.." 

The bear tried to contain her tears, covering to suppress a sob impending to come out. If there's one thing that could be her weakness besides Joohyun, that would be that tone of utmost concern coming from Seungwan. After all, the latter was the only person who knows her struggle. She didn't reply immediately, causing the other person to speak again.

"Just let it out.. wait, is she there now?"

"No. She's with him Wannie."

"It's already late though."

"Yeah."

"Seul, don't hold yourself everytime. Let it out now. I'm here to listen, okay? You want me to come over?" She was beginning to increase her worry for the bear when she heard her finally let herself loose.

"Nah.. I just.." Seungwan let her friend take her time, sighing upon the sobs that soon turned into little hiccups. "..Just don't hang up until I say so, please?" 

"As you wish, dumb bear."

"Your insult is timely, you know?"

"I intend so."

"Thanks, mother."

"Yah!"

"Keep talking."

"How are you feeling?"

There was a brief silence on Seulgi's line.

"I'm a little better now, but it still hurts you know? And it will always pain me to see them together."

"I damn wanted you to just go after her and pull that Bogum out of the picture had not I've seen it for myself how happy she is with him."

Seungwan can't blame Seulgi for bottling up her feelings for her unnie. And knowing just how selfless the bear can be, she knew that Seulgi's capable of doing more besides sacrificing her own happiness for Joohyun. She sighed.

"Thanks, Wan-ah."

"Oh, you're gonna pay me lunch for this conversation tomorrow, in case you don't know." She joked.

"I don't mind. I can't stand another lunch with them acting all mushy in front of me. It also pains me to waste the food just because I'll gag."

"Woah. Then you better be serious about that Seul. So, I'll see you tomorrow then?"

"Of course. How are the kids anyway?"

"They're already asleep so I couldn't bring them to talk to you. Yeri says she misses you already though. She wants to try another prank for Sooyoung with you."

The bear wore a genuine smile upon thinking of her dongsaengs- Seungwan's sisters.

"Tell her I'd be more than willing to do that." Seulgi said, chuckling at the thought of a flustered Sooyoung.

"This means more free lunch."

"Way to abuse my pocket, Wannie. I'm clapping."

"Yeah, yeah, like I care. Just don't forget tomorrow."

"Sure. Thanks again."

"And Seul.. one last thing."

"What is it?"

"Don't lose hope. I believe you're the one meant for Joohyun-unnie. You'll have your chance."

"I really wish that's true Wan-ah. I don't know until when will I be able to keep this up."

"Just talk to me when you feel upset. The ki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter