'And this is EXACTLY what that plan was for!'

Instincts

Hyungjun bit his lip and looked around the warehouse again. There was no sign of his brothers anywhere. He had laughed when HyunJoong had brought up the warehouse as a safe location to meet should aliens ever invade, but he knew the others would come here too. He sat down on an old wooden box and thought back to that day.

 

~~~~Flashback~~~~

"We are such WUSSES." Jungmin said, flopping backwards.

Hyungjun laughed before a thumping noise caused him to curl closer to Youngsaeng.

The five of them had just gotten back from the movies about an hour or so ago. Now, they huddled in a blanket and pillow fort in the living room, bottles of water, blunt weapons, and sunglasses at the ready.

Youngsaeng smacked Hyunjoong's arm. "Dammit, hyung!! Why'd you have to pick the movie today?"

Hyunjoong chuckled, then tightened his grip on the baseball bat he held. "I...I honestly wish I hadn't now..."

Hyunjoong had used every leader and I'm-the-oldest trick he had to convince them to go see the double feature of two dubbed American alien movies: Signs and Skyline. He'd heard good things about both movies, but no one had told him how psychologically freaky they were. No one would admit to being scared at first until they realized it was 1 in the morning, the TV wasn't even ON, and no one was leaving the living room. Sweet Hyungjun had given them an out by saying that he'd wanted to build a fort and sleep in it for the night and using the maknae charms to get them all to agree. Everyone else had muttered and demurred, but each of them was secretly happy he'd done it. So now, there they were, five grown men hiding in a blanket fort, hearing weird noises outside and wishing the managers were there. 

Kyujong looked at Hyunjoong. "I thought you had a 'alien invasion' plan."

Hyunjoong looked panicked. "I did! But these aliens are EVOLVED!"

Youngsaeng leaned close to Hyungjun, whispered for a second, then ducked out the back of the fort while Hyunjoong and Kyujong were yammering at each other. Hyungjun kept watch with the golf club, and Jungmin leaned over, squeezy bottle of water at the ready. A couple seconds later, Youngsaeng slid back into the fort with some paper, pencils, books, and the big lantern they used while camping, since the flashlight was not very effective. He set the lantern in the center and turned it on, effectively getting Hyunjoong and Kyujong's attention.

"Why don't we do something constructive while we're in here?" he said, passing out the paper, pencils and books to write on. "Let's make emergency alien invasion preparedness lists, and then make one big one for our group to follow, no matter when it happens."

Hyunjoong lit up like a Christmas tree and immediately started writing. Everyone seemed to calm a bit and for a while, the only sounds were pencils scratching on paper. After a bit, Youngsaeng sat up, grabbed another sheet of paper and looked around. Everyone sat up and nodded, indicating they were done.

"Alright, I'll write it down, then write copies for everyone." Everyone nodded. Youngsaeng had the best handwriting of the group. "We'll write down all the ideas, then narrow them down."

The next hour or two was spent either nodding seriously or laughing maniacally. Finally, after the tears from the laughter had subsided, they had a list of things they needed to remember come the alien invasion. Youngsaeng took to writing everyone a copy when the five of them froze. SOMETHING had just come in the door. Kyujong killed the lantern, and Hyunjoong moved to let Hyungjun and Jungmin, armed with squeezy bottles, near the entrance. The blanket moved back and WHAM! Both Hyungjun and Jungmin let fly with the water. 

"You got him!" Hyunjoong said as he turn on the lantern. His gleeful cry caught in his throat when he saw the face of their manager. "Uh-oh."

Their manager blinked at them. "I take it you saw the alien double feature?" The five of them nodded. "That explains why you're in the living room and the water." He shook his head a bit before turning and grabbing something. "Well, as my sister taught me, every sleepover needs pizza." He put three pizzas and a couple two litres of soda and juice into the fort before backing out. A few minutes later, they heard the shower run. 

Hyungjun was the first one to break from the stunned silence. "Pizza!" He grabbed one of the boxes and dove back to his place next to Youngsaeng. He opened it, grabbed a piece and shoved it in front of Youngsaeng's mouth. Youngsaeng took a bite, his eyes never leaving the paper. He murmured his thanks around the bite and Hyungjun chuckled. Jungmin and Kyujong tore into the second pizza while Hyunjoong attempted to hide the third one like a squirrel for himself. Kyujong passed one of the sodas over to Youngsaeng and Hyungjun, handed Hyunjoong the other two litre of soda and kept the juice for himself and Jungmin.

And so the night progressed. Hyungjun kept feeding Youngsaeng and giving him soda while the latter wrote the copies. Hyunjoong and Jungmin got into a rock paper scissors battle to see who should run and get the playing cards. Hyunjoong lost. Once Youngsaeng was finished writing, the five of them played cards until they couldn't keep their eyes open any longer. Hyunjoong turned off the lantern and everyone moved the debris out of the way before sprawling over each other like only brothers can and falling asleep, safe in the knowledge that, if aliens DID attack them, they weren't going down alone.

 

~~~~~End Flashback~~~~~ 

 

Hyungjun was broken out of his reverie by the sound of...something. It had kinda sounded like a car door, but one that was shut while trying to be quiet. He couldn't identify where it came from, though. For a second, he regretted leaving the car so far away, but he hadn't wanted anyone to know where he was. After a few seconds passed without any sign of people or aliens, he pulled out his wallet and took out an old, well-worn, laminated piece of paper. He unfolded it and started reading.

In the event of alien invasion, follow these instructions:

1. Stay calm. Nothing is going to be accomplished by screaming, except that you'll go first.

2. Make sure your family is safe. Safe doesn't necessarily mean with you. Hyungjun's thoughts turned to Kibum, and he bit his lip, hoping that sending his little brother off with his own brothers had been a wise decision.

3. Gather any supplies you have in your home, but only what you can easily carry. We're going to need supplies and you can't be weighed down.

4. Get to the safehouse. You know where this is.

5. Wait for four hours after the call. No less. Give everyone time to get there.

6. If, after four hours, someone is still missing and you can't get ahold of them, go get them. No one gets left behind. 

7. Don't go alone. If you can only find one brother, stay together. We're stronger together.

"And this is EXACTLY what that plan was for!"

Hyungjun just about hit the ceiling. He did, however, tumble off the box he had been resting on. His breath was knocked from him when he hit the ground and he heard footsteps and felt a pair of hands helping him up.

"I'm sorry, Hyungjun! I didn't mean to scare you like that!"

Hyungjun looked up, then threw his arms around Youngsaeng. Youngsaeng returned the hug tightly. When they pulled away, Youngsaeng looked at his watch. "Two hours left."

Hyungjun nodded. Hyunjoong had managed to mass text the four of them two hours ago. He knew they were trapped. He sent out the call.

The two of them played cards quietly, waiting. Sounds made the two of them turn. Hyunjoong appeared in the doorway, breathless. Seeing Hyungjun and Youngsaeng, he rushed forward, embracing the two of them tightly. They barely heard him whisper under his breath.

"You didn't leave me alone." When they pulled back, all three of them hurriedly wiped their eyes. Hyunjoong looked around. "Where's Jungmin and Kyujong?"

Hyungjun shook his head. "They haven't gotten here yet." He looked away, then looked back at him. "Hyung, I...I did something."

Hyunjoong looked at him, pretty sure he knew what Hyungjun was going to say. "What is it?"

Hyungjun took a deep breath. "I...I told Kibum and his brothers to come here."

Hyunjoong just put his arm around Hyungjun. "Honestly, if you hadn't, I'd have been more worried." Hyungjun smiled up at him. "It's been almost four hours...they should have been here by now."

Hyungjun held up his keys. "I have the car."

Youngsaeng shook his head. "Too small." He held up a set of keys of his own. "I have a van."

Hyunjoong and Hyungjun looked at each other, then at Youngsaeng. "Let's go."

The three of them hurried to the van. Hyunjoong drove, with Youngsaeng acting as navigator. Hyungjun kept watch for anyone.

 

"Look!! There's Jungmin!!" Hyunjoong pulled the van to a stop next to a walking figure. Jungmin's face lit up as he tossed his stuff into the van and climbed in.

"I was on my way. I couldn't get my car out. My street's completely blocked in both directions." Jungmin leaned back, then forward again, eyes wide. "Where's Kyujong?"

Hyungjun shook his head. "He didn't get there in time either."

Jungmin frowned. "With as -retentive as he is, he wasn't the first one there?"

Everyone else tensed. That hadn't even crossed their minds. Kyujong SHOULD have been the first one there. He was an A type, always practical, making lists, reminding everyone of everything they'd forgotten. Hyunjoong and Youngsaeng looked at each other, then Hyunjoong hit the accelerator.

 

The entire street had been obliterated. Only rubble remained. The four stepped out of the van, various stages of shock passing over their features. Hyungjun was the first to move though, jumping through the rubble on the street toward where Kyujong's house had once stood. 

"Come on!! Kyujong had a plan!!"

The other three followed, none of them wanting to be the one to dash the maknae's hopes. Hyungjun looked around, while the others halfheartedly dug through the rubble. Hyungjun smiled when he found what he was looking for. "Over here!" He pushed some debris out of the way, and Hyunjoong helped him push away a rather large piece of concrete. The others gasped. Hyungjun leaned down and knocked on the door in the ground.

The door pushed open and there stood Kyujong, relatively unharmed, minus a couple scratches. He nodded at Hyungjun. "You WERE paying attention." Hyungjun just hugged him.

Kyujong pointed down into the shelter. "The bags have everything I could find that we'd need." Hyunjoong grabbed a couple of them and Hyungjun grabbed one. Jungmin grabbed the last two and walked toward the van. "Let's go."

Once everyone was situated in the van and Hyunjoong had started driving, Kyujong leaned forward. "Where are we going?"

Hyunjoong gestured with his head. "Back to the safehouse. Hyungjun sent Kibum and his group there."

Kyujong nodded. "I hope they brought supplies."

Hyungjun smiled. "I told them to pick up as much as they could before they came."

Kyujong blinked in surprise at Hyungjun's rare moment of forethought. "Good. We'll need it."

 

[A/N: Sorry it's taken so long! School's been difficult, but I'm on break now!! I should have more chapters up soon!]