'They're family too.'

Instincts

Soohyun swore as he sideswiped yet another broken car. The van looked like hell already, but Soohyun couldn't care less. He tore through the city, constantly dialing numbers on his cell phone. Unfortunately, he kept receiving the same error message, something about too many people using the lines at the same time. 

"Damn it!" He threw the useless phone into the passenger seat of the van and concentrated on getting through the city as quickly as possible. There weren't many people on the streets and he was grateful for that. At this moment, he thought he might have just run over anything standing between him and his ends. After a few more minutes, he pulled up outside of a house and jumped out, banging on the door.

"Come on, come on!!"

When there wasn't any answer, Soohyun's heart began to rise. Maybe he'd made it out safely...

Suddenly, someone grabbed him from behind, covering his mouth and pulling him along. He made to grab at the hands, but a voice in his ear calmed him.

", Soohyun! Do you seriously want everyone to know we're here?!"

Soohyun relaxed immediately, then turned and hugged the young man tightly. "I got worried."

Dongho rolled his eyes, but returned the hug just as tightly. "Where are the others? Did they make it out?"

Soohyun shook his head. "I don't know. I'm going to go around and pick them all up if I can."

Dongho nodded, reaching into his waistband. "Here." He handed Soohyun a handgun.

Soohyun looked at him like he'd grown an extra head. "Where'd you get this?" He took it nonetheless.

Dongho shook his head and shouldered a small bag that had been lying nearby. "Doesn't matter. Let's go." He looked up and down the street, then moved to the car with light, silent steps. Soohyun's eyes widened.

"When did he get like this?" Soohyun muttered to himself. He'd honestly been expecting to find a shaking, worried Dongho, not this confident, practiced Dongho he was seeing now. Soohyun walked over to the van and jumped in the driver's seat. Dongho had already taken the passenger side. Soohyun looked at the younger man. There didn't seem to be a stirring of fear. Just acceptance of the situation, and the expectation of surviving. There wasn't any questioning, hesitation, worry. His mind flashed back to the KBS performance. Dongho reminded him of how serious he'd seemed then, even with the fake guns. He started the van, took one last look around, and sped off.

 

Dongho and Soohyun pulled up outside what had once been a decent looking house. Unfortunately, now it looked as though someone had taken a few firebombs to the outside. The two shared a worried look before hurrying quietly inside.

The inside was devestated. Furniture was thrown everywhere, and it appeared that most of the valubles had been taken. Soohyun looked at Dongho and, without needing words, they pulled their guns. They searched the house carefully. Soohyun almost didn't want to continue. Every door Dongho opened struck fear into Soohyun's heart that behind it they would find Kevin's lifeless body. Dongho seemed to know what he was feeling and placed a hand on his arm as they turned to go upstairs. He didn't speak, just squeezed lightly, but it was enough.

They walked up the stairs, glass crunching under their feet. Soohyun felt his stomach squeeze when he saw a picture frame on the floor, its glass shattered, with a picture of a smiling Kevin inside from one of their concerts. He bit his lip to keep back the tears. Dongho opened the door to the master bedroom, then gestured at Soohyun with wide eyes.

Soft sobs eminated from behind a wardrobe in the master bedroom. Dongho and Soohyun looked at each other and nodded.

"Kevin?"

The sobs were punctuated with a gasp and the sound of scrambling. Suddenly, Soohyun was almost bowled over by the slender blonde. He looked down into Kevin's red-rimmed eyes. "Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

Kevin shook his head. "I'm alright." He sniffled, then pulled his sleeve over his hand and wiped his face. He looked at Soohyun and Dongho, getting control of his emotions again. "I'm fine."

Dongho hugged him as well. "We should get out of here. It's not safe." Kevin nodded. "Do you have anything you want to grab?"

Kevin nodded and ran out of the room. He returned a few minutes later with a small duffel bag similar to Dongho's. "I'm ready."

The three of them piled into the van and started heading through the city again.

 

After multiple detours and almost having to ditch the van before Dongho found a way through the debris, they pulled up to an apartment building tucked in the shadows of a few larger buildings. The three of them slid out of the van and into the building quickly. The lobby was deserted and looted, and Soohyun made to move to the elevator. Dongho grabbed his arm.

"You are insane." He pulled him toward the stairs.

Soohyun's eyes widened. "You do realize Hoon lives on the 25th floor, right?"

Dongho shook his head. "Doesn't matter. Elevator makes noise, enclosed space, no exit, easily sabatoged." Dongho turned away and started up the stairs, leaving Soohyun and Kevin staring at his back, slack-jawed, eyes wide. Kevin leaned toward Soohyun.

"When did Dongho turn into Bourne?"

Soohyun shrugged and tugged at Kevin's hand, hurrying to catch up with Dongho.

When they reached the 25th floor, Soohyun and Kevin let Dongho take the lead. He pulled the door open quietly and peeked around. When he saw it was clear, he waved Soohyun and Kevin to him and led the way down the hallway to Hoon's door. When they reached it, Dongho carefully tried the knob.

"Locked."

Kevin puffed out a sigh of exasperation, but Soohyun just shrugged, pulled something out of his pocket and knelt down in front of the door. A few minutes later, the door clicked and Soohyun stood up, frowning slightly.

"He'd have had that open in five seconds. I need to practice more."

Dongho and Kevin were staring at Soohyun in awe. "Who showed you that, hyung?"

Soohyun chuckled quietly. "AJ. He can open just about any lock. Apparently, a girl at the school he studied at in the US taught him." Soohyun pushed the door open silently and Dongho slid inside ahead of him. Soohyun pulled Kevin close behind him and Kevin glanced behind them regularly, their eyes to the back. Dongho opened a door and walked inside, only to dive to the floor, barely avoiding the baseball bat aimed at his head.

Suddenly, many things happened at once. Soohyun moved forward, grabbing the baseball bat waving man while Kevin dived forward, getting between Dongho and the man and glaring at the assailant. The man paused.

"Kevin?!"

Soohyun let go of Hoon's shoulders as Hoon turned to face him. "Soohyun..." He turned back to where Kevin was pulling Dongho up. "Dongho!" His voice had risen a bit with each name and he moved, apparently attempting to hug all of them in one go. While he managed this, Soohyun got his attention. 

"Get a bag togther. We need to go." Hoon nodded and bolted from the room. Soohyun turned to Kevin. "What the hell was that?!"

Kevin looked at the floor. "I'm sorry. It was just instinct. I couldn't help it."

Soohyun sighed and pulled Kevin in for a hug. "I know. I'm just paranoid about losing any of you."

Kevin nodded. "I'll be more careful, hyung."

Hoon came back, bag in hand, holding something else, a sword he'd used in training. Soohyun raised an eyebrow. "I know, but...you never know."

Dongho led the way back downstairs, causing Hoon to lean in to Soohyun. "Um...why is Dongho channeling H.I.T.?" Kevin bit his lip, trying not to laugh, and Soohyun just shrugged.

 

Their next destination was only reached because Kevin got his hands on a gun. Soohyun and Dongho, both super tense, had begun bickering when the detours proved to be an incredibly frustrating obstacle. Finally, Soohyun lost his temper. Pulling over, he jumped out of the van, followed quickly by Dongho. They met in front of the van where quiet voices eventually escalated into shouting. Kevin growled, saw Soohyun's handgun sitting between the front seats and grabbed it. Hoon put a hand on his arm.

"What are you thinking?"

Kevin glared out the window at the two, and Hoon leaned back, Kevin's fury being almost palpable. "I'm ending this. They're either going to work together or I'M taking over." He wrenched the door open, strode to the front and loosed a round from the gun into the air, angling it away from them. Both Soohyun and Dongho stared at him in complete shock. Kevin just leveled his gaze at the two of them. "Look. You are either going to have to comprimise and get along, or I'm tying you together, throwing you in the back and taking over. Our brothers might be in danger and you're arguing DIRECTIONS." He folded his arms.

Soohyun looked at Kevin, then back at the ground. "You're right." Dongho nodded. "Let's go." 

Kevin nodded, handed Soohyun back his gun and climbed back in the van. Hoon just sat quietly in his seat, not daring to make Kevin any more pissed off than he already appeared to be. Soohyun started the van again, and they kept moving.

Pulling up in front of the house, Dongho was sure he could hear...something. He wasn't sure what. As they moved closer to the house, it became more clear and Dongho's jaw dropped.

"There is no way in hell..."

Soohyun had given up attempting to stem Dongho's swearing. Instead, he tilted his head. "What is that?"

Dongho rolled his eyes, put away his gun, and just walked inside. The others exchanged confused glances and followed him. Inside, they saw why Dongho seemed weary. Eli was sitting on his couch, controller in hand, playing a video game. Dongho looked about ready to pull his own hair out.

"Seoul gets bombed, going to war, have to survive, and he's playing Resident Evil..." Hoon pulled the still muttering Dongho back outside while Kevin and Soohyun moved into Eli's view. Eli stopped his game and smiled at them.

"Figured I'd be seeing you eventually." He put down the controller, turned everything off and grabbed his bag from near his feet. "Ready to go?"

Soohyun blinked in amazement as Kevin moved and hugged Eli, the two of them walking toward the van chatting like nothing had changed. "Must be an O type thing..." he muttered, following them to the van.

 

Dongho's yell was the only thing that saved them.

"STOP!!"

Soohyun slammed on the brakes, the van shuddering to a halt about two feet away from a rather thick looking wire strung across the road. The five of them piled out of the van and stared at it. 

"It's a car-killer," Eli said, eyes widening in excitement. "Someone's setting traps."

The five of them moved carefully, single file. Dongho took point, with Eli behind him, Hoon and Kevin in the center, and Soohyun bringing up the rear. Dongho led well, pointing out tripwires, falls, snares, and hidden dangers. It took about a half hour to reach the house they were attempting to get to. Dongho, by this time, was tired, frustrated, and more than a little annoyed. He broke his own rule. Shooting a round into the wall of the house, he yelled.

"Yah!! AJ!!! I'm not playing with your toys anymore. Get down here." A few seconds and some strange sounds later, and the door opened, framing a smiling AJ.

"I'm glad you're here. Take these." He two bags at Eli before walking out of the house with another large bag, turning and locking it behind him. He turned off the path and led them through the yards back to the van. Coming to the van, he put his bags in the back and hopped in, seeming rather pleased. Eli groaned as he sat down. 

"Jeez, AJ. What was in those? Bricks?"

AJ gave one of his bright, cat-like smiles. "Weapons. And ammo."

Jaws dropped and Soohyun called back over his shoulder. "How, in the name of all that's holy, did you get those?"

AJ smirked. "That information is classified and will remain so." Soohyun suddenly had the feeling he knew the answer, and didn't press further.

 

The apartment complex was in ruins. Kevin stood in shock, tears running down his face. He turned and buried his head in Eli's chest. Eli hugged him, his own eyes running through the rubble, looking for any sign. Soohyun had run into the rubble as soon as they'd arrived. Dongho and Hoon looked along the perimeter. Everyone was hopeful, but they all felt as though they knew. Well, everyone but AJ. 

AJ moved smoothly across the street. There was half a building there, and the cafe that occupied its bottom corner was intact. AJ bypassed the door with its little bell and chose to step in through the window. He moved quietly, making no noise, heading for the kitchen. He heard rustling and opened the door carefully. Kiseop was digging through the kitchen area, putting food into a bag. AJ leaned in the doorway, waiting for the perfect moment...

"Yah!"

Kiseop nearly hit the ceiling, he jumped so high. He whipped around, sending a tin of tuna flying toward AJ's head. AJ raised a hand and caught the tuna mid-flight. "Hmm, good choice."

Kiseop put a hand on his chest, attempting to catch his breath and make his heart no longer feel like it was going to explode. "You are an . Remind me to tell you that every day until the day we die."

AJ chuckled and moved forward, his feline grace making his steps sure in the ruined kitchen. "Will do. You almost done? The others are probably planning a mini-funeral and I'm pretty sure Kevin's going to cry himself dry if we don't hurry."

Kiseop slung the bag over his shoulder. "How'd you find me anyway?"

AJ smirked. "Deduction."

The two of them exited the diner and made their way back to the van. Kiseop's entrance was met with mixed reactions of hitting him for scaring them and hugging him for being alive. Soohyun glanced at AJ, who caught his eye and winked. Soohyun moved back to the car, silently thanking God that AJ was on their side.

 

Driving through the city, little was said. No one knew where to go. Suddenly, Soohyun slammed on the brakes and looked out the window, his eyes wide. 

"What's up, Soohyun?" Kevin followed his gaze, then jumped out of the van, running, Eli and Dongho hot on his heels. Kiseop and Soohyun followed quickly. AJ looked at Hoon and shrugged. 

"Might as well," said AJ. He had a feeling he knew what was happening. The two of them hurried to catch up with the others.

Kevin reached the door of the church and yanked it open, rushing inside. He saw his target and almost seemed to fly. "Xander!!"

Xander turned in time to catch a flying Kevin, his eyes wide. "Kevin!" His eyes only managed to widen as the rest of UKISS hurried in. "You...you're all here? But how? Why?"

Hoon turned to AJ while Xander was trying to get answers. "Why do I have the feeling we're going to be taking him and the other one with us?"

AJ nodded. "Of course we are. They're family too." At Hoon's confused look, he continued. "The two of them might not live with the family anymore, but they're still a part of it. You can tell by how the others react and talk about them." He smiled a bit. "We're new, but we're just as important as they are. We're all family."

Soohyun explained how they'd come to find Xander. "We saw your car outside and stopped."

Xander smiled. "And here I thought I'd be going to Heaven alone." Kevin squeezed harder and Xander chuckled. "I'm not going anywhere now, dude. You can let go." When Kevin let go, Xander moved forward and, without warning, grabbed both Hoon and AJ into huge hug. "And I finally get to meet my new little brothers! God's truly blessing me today!" Releasing the now stunned youngers, Xander grabbed his bag. "How're we getting out of here?"

Xander annexed the front seat from Dongho and talked quietly with Soohyun. "What about Kibum?"

Soohyun shook his head. "We haven't gotten him."

Xander looked at him. "We should."

Soohyun nodded and put the van in gear. "Last stop."

 

They could hear yelling even as they approached. Kibum and Hyungjun stood outside their house, and from the gestures, they were both LIVID. Xander rolled down his window as they pulled up, and Kevin opened the van door. Kibum glanced at them, then turned back to his brother. 

"Come on. We go together or we don't go at all."

Hyungjun growled and suddenly, Kibum was on the ground. Hyungjun picked him up and walked to the van, ignoring the stunned gazes. Soohyun gripped the steering wheel so tightly his hands turned white. "What was that for?" he asked through clenched teeth.

Hyungjun gently placed his little brother in a seat. "He wasn't going to let me leave without him." At the confused glances, he looked straight up at Soohyun. "I need to know my brothers are alright too. I didn't want him to get hurt. Please, take care of him."

Soohyun's face softened immediately. "I will, I promise."

Hyungjun tossed Kibum's bag into the van, then scribbled a quick note to Kibum, handing it to Soohyun. "Give him this when he comes to." Soohyun nodded. Hyungjun looked at his brother again, leaned forward and dropped a kiss on his forehead before stepping back from the van. "I love you, Kibum." He shut the van door and jumped into the car nearby. Soohyun put the van in drive and eased away. Hyungjun pulled a u-turn and hurried away. 

 

It didn't take too long for Kibum to wake up. As soon as he was aware of his surroundings, he almost jumped Soohyun. "Let me OUT!! I have to find my brother!!" Soohyun just handed him the note, trying to keep control of the van while being jostled around. Kibum took the note, read it, and calmed down immediately. "Where are we going, Soohyun?"

Soohyun shrugged. "I don't know. I just knew we should be together."

Kibum nodded. "Then go where I tell you. I know a place..."

 

 

 

[A/N: It's DONE. It's 0500, I have a class in 4 hours, but the first chapter is DONE!! Okay, so:

This is the KBS thing Soohyun was referring to when thinking about Dongho.

And THIS is how AJ winks. ^_^

Anywho, comments and whatnot are loved. I have to go get three hours sleep.]