'We almost forgot that.'

Instincts

 

                Eeteuk felt bad, leaving Onew behind, but he knew that Yunho was still there and would take care of the younger group. He’d barely managed to say goodbye as the 10 members of Super Junior sprinted down the hallway. They didn’t even bother waiting to see if the company would come back for them. Having been on the receiving end of the occasional neglect of the company more than once, they were pretty sure they’d been left to fend for themselves. It had kind of surprised Eeteuk that SHINee had been left behind as well, but looking back at it, the neglect was a bit obvious there as well. SHINee’s recent comeback had been made with a confusing as hell concept (even Eeteuk had to admit he had NO idea what they had been going for), costumes that looked like they’d been taken from a donation center, and a music video who’s story seemed to have little to nothing to do with the song. He shook his head. He had no time to worry for the younger group, putting faith in Yunho to help them.

                The group pulled to a stop as they got out of the building, looking to Eeteuk. “Hyung, how are we going to do this? I don’t want to be separated.” Ryeowook vocalized what they were probably all thinking. Super Junior normally took multiple vehicles to their destinations due to their numbers.

                Eeteuk shook his head. “We don’t need to be. Come on.” He led them through the streets for a couple minutes before he held out his hand. “Wait here. I’ll be right back.” He disappeared between two buildings and out of sight.

                Eeteuk didn’t mess around. He kicked the door before him in with a force and smiled. There, in all its glory, sat a 15 seat, full sized van. He jumped behind the wheel and grinned when he saw the keys in the ignition. The power was out to this building, so there was no way to get the door up on the parking garage he’d just ‘borrowed’ the van from. No problem.

                Eunhyuk heard the squealing tires, but barely managed to dive out of the way as a van barreled through the gate he’d been leaning against. Ryeowook helped him off the ground, and everyone looked at the driver. Eeteuk leaned out the window and threw a thumb toward the back. “Get in.”

                Sungmin didn’t remember if Eeteuk had his driver’s license or not. If he did, he bribed someone to give it to him, Sungmin was sure. He closed his eyes as Eeteuk took another corner at breakneck speed, drifting the van. “Please don’t kill us on the way, Eeteuk-hyung.”

                Siwon had his seatbelt on, one hand on the door frame, the other on the dashboard, eyes wide. “Um, hyung, we need to take a right here in a second. Preferably at a dec…” Whatever else Siwon was going to say was eaten by the strangled sound coming from him as Eeteuk rounded the corner at 85 kph. He felt as though the van was going to flip, but a shift from the back seemed to right it. He glanced back and his eyes widened further. Eunhyuk, Donghae and Kangin were sitting in the middle back seat, no seatbelts. Eeteuk rounded another right turn and Siwon watched as the three of them threw themselves left, keeping the van from flipping. He moved his vision to the back. Sungmin was staring forward, eyes wide. Ryeowook had his hands over Kyuhyun’s eyes, and, in a brief quiet moment, Siwon could hear him singing softly. Yesung was sitting in the front back seat, seatbelt on, looking out the window calmly. Siwon turned back just as Eeteuk took a hard left. Closing his eyes, he started praying silently. Before too long, Eeteuk hit the brakes hard, causing everyone to jolt forward and the three in the middle to fly over the front back seat, somehow missing Yesung in the process.

                “We’re here.”

                Ryeowook dived for the side door, jumping over the seats, using Donghae as an escape slide and nearly kicking Kangin in the head.

                Eeteuk had barely gotten his seatbelt off when his door was wrenched open and he was hauled out by the front of his shirt. He looked into the red, very livid face of their visual maknae. His voice was nothing more than an enraged whisper, but it sent chills down Eeteuk’s spine.

                “Hyung, I know this is an emergency and you’re worried about Zhoumi, Henry, and Heechul-hyung, but if you EVER drive like that again with Kyuhyun in the car, and we’re not actively being pursued, I swear on everything I hold dear I will kill you myself.” There was no exaggeration in his voice.

                Eeteuk’s face drained of color. Without speaking, he pulled himself away from Ryeowook, climbed into the back of the van, and pulled Kyuhyun to his chest. “I’m sorry, Kyuhyun-ah. I’m so sorry. I wasn’t even thinking.” He murmured apologies over and over, letting Kyuhyun cry into his chest quietly. Eunhyuk, Siwon and Sungmin pulled Ryeowook aside, talking quietly, calming him down. Soon, Kyuhyun pulled away from Eeteuk and gave him a small smile. Ryeowook had calmed down, and after a couple of minutes of gathering themselves, they stood together next to the van.

                The hotel looked relatively unscathed. Zhoumi and Henry were only staying the night in the hotel, so the company hadn’t sprung for anything fancy. That meant that the hotel hadn’t been in as much danger. The 10 of them ran into the lobby and straight up the stairs. Eeteuk paused on the landing before opening the door. He glanced out, then signaled to the group to move. They hurried to room 524 and knocked as quietly as possible. The door was thrown open and Zhoumi pulled them all inside. Once everyone was inside, he turned, seemingly surprised to see them. “What are you all doing here?”

                Henry ran forward and hugged Ryeowook. “Hi!”

                Ryeowook chuckled. “You seem rather happy, considering the situation.”

                “Yeah! We ran into gege! He’s here too!”

                The members of SJ-M’s eyes widened at the mention of ‘gege’. Henry ran back to the room he’d come from. A short exchange followed. Henry’s voice was clear, but the other voice was very soft. The SJ-M members listened closely.

                “Come out! It’ll be okay.”

                Murmur, murmur.

                “They don’t hate you! How could they?”

                Whisper, cough.

                “Of course they still like you!”

                Mumble, whisper.

                “You’re coming out if I have to drag you!”

                Murmur, murmur, strangled yelp. “What the heck, Henry!”

                Everyone’s eyes widened. There was no mistaking that voice. Zhoumi chuckled behind his hand. “Henry’s got a new way to get people to do what he wants. If they don’t, he kicks them in the shin.”

                “Geng, come out. We know you’re there.” Kyuhyun decided to break the silence. There was no sound from the room for a minute, then Henry came out, pulling a very reluctant Hangeng behind him. Hangeng looked at the ground, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

                “Hi.” His Korean was rather rusty, but that didn’t really matter.

                No one moved for a minute. Hangeng began to study his feet before talking. “I…I ran into Zhoumi and Henry and decided to see how they were doing. I’ll…I’ll leave now that they’re okay.” He moved toward the door quickly.

                A hand reached out and grabbed his arm. Hangeng didn’t look back, just closed his eyes. “You’re not going alone, Hankyung.”

                “Eeteuk-ssi.” Eeteuk flinched at the formality. “You don’t need to pretend. I know I have no place with you anymore. I know you hate me.”

                Eeteuk pulled Hangeng around and hugged him tightly. “You’ve always belonged with us. You still do. We still love you, dammit, and we’ve missed you.”

                Hangeng was startled to feel his shirt becoming damp. His own eyes teared up and he hugged Eeteuk back just as tightly. “I’ve miss you all so much.”

               Henry dove forward and hugged the both of them. That was all it took for the others to come and hug them as well. Zhoumi came last, his lanky arms getting a good ways around the group.

                After a couple minutes of sniffling, Hangeng noticed something that made his blood run cold. He looked at the group and his fears were confirmed. There was no diva-ish Heechul alternating between hugging him and beating the hell out of him. He pulled back a bit to look at Eeteuk. “Hyung,” he started, falling back so easily into the old habits, “Hyung, where’s Heechul?”

                Eeteuk shook his head. “We…we don’t know. He was at his shift on base when the attack happened.” He looked up at Hangeng. “We’re on our way to find him.”

                Hangeng didn’t even speak. He just turned around, grabbed his bag and walked out the door. The group followed, grabbing Henry and Zhoumi’s things as they left.

                By the time they’d gotten outside, Hangeng had put his stuff in the back and had taken over the front seat. Siwon didn’t complain as he slid into the far back with Sungmin, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun. Henry dove into the far back as well, while Zhoumi sat in the front back with Yesung. Eeteuk slid back behind the wheel and pulled away from the hotel.

                Eeteuk drove like a relatively sane person this time, but they still got to the base a lot quicker than Hangeng expected. Eeteuk stopped out front and the van grew silent.

                “He’s still here.”

                Hangeng’s voice startled everyone a bit. Hangeng had already gotten out of the van as the others snapped out of their fear induced reverie. He started toward the base.

                Rubble. Lots of it. There weren’t many buildings left to speak of. The 13 of them spread out, calling.

                Heechul blinked his eyes open, but couldn’t see anything. For a moment, he panicked. After a second, though, he realized that he wasn’t blind, just buried.

“Well, I’m still alive, I think.” A tiny shaft of sunlight peeked through some of the rubble, giving him hope. He tried to pull himself up off his stomach, but found he couldn’t move. He looked back. A piece of wall had fallen onto his left leg, effectively pinning it to the ground. He groaned.

                “When I find out who’s responsible for this, there will be hell to pay,” he muttered. He wiggled around, trying to find a way to release his leg. No luck. He’d just given up when he heard someone shouting.

                “Down here!” He’d yelled before he could think. He shrugged. If it was the enemy, they might at least keep him as a prisoner, which would mean getting out of his currently hopeless situation. He heard footsteps nearby. “I’m down here!”

                “Heechul?!”

                Heechul’s eyes widened, before tearing up a bit. “Well, so much for being alive.” Heechul laid his head down. There was no way Hangeng was here.

                Suddenly, light flooded his prison and he threw one arm up to cover his eyes. “Heechul!”

                Heechul’s head jerked up, and he turned it slowly to look up. Hangeng pushed another piece of rubble out of the way and knelt down in front of him. “Geng…?”

                “Thank goodness!” Suddenly, Hangeng was hugging him, rather awkwardly considering his position and Heechul was crying and hitting him.

                “Where have you been, you bastard?!” Hangeng only smiled, his own eyes filled with tears.

                “Are you hurt? Can you move?”

                Heechul wiped his eyes and looked back. “That wall doesn’t want me to leave.” Hangeng nodded. “Don’t try…” The words died in his throat as Hangeng bodily shoved the piece of wall away, the adrenaline flowing through him giving him a bit of help. He pulled Heechul up, throwing Heechul’s arm over his shoulders.

                “Come on. The others are panicking.”

                There were shouts as Hangeng came out of the rubble, a limping Heechul at his side. Kangin came forward and picked Heechul up bridal style, ignoring the yelling in his ear. One by one, everyone had to come forward and hug Heechul. Suddenly, Heechul jerked upright, almost causing Kangin to drop him.

                “Eeteuk! What about my cats? You didn’t just leave them alone, did you?!”

                Despite the fear, tiredness, and stress, everyone started laughing. Eeteuk patted Heechul on the shoulder. “Don’t worry. Your sister took them with her when she evacuated a couple days ago. They’re fine.”

                Heechul breathed a sigh of relief. “Okay, we can go then.” Hangeng rolled his eyes and smiled.

                They set Heechul in the front back seat, his hurt leg on Hangeng’s lap. Siwon had taken the front seat back and Zhoumi had moved to the far back. Yesung and Ryeowook traded spots, and Ryeowook was gently massaging Heechul’s foot and ankle, working out the knots from being trapped for so long, while Hangeng worked on his calf and knee.

                Eeteuk didn’t talk to anyone after they’d picked up Heechul. His brow was furrowed in a look that Siwon recognized as trying to remember something. Suddenly, Eeteuk’s face lit up as he saw a person walking along the road. “Kangin, grab him.”

                Kangin smiled, then opened the door. Heechul sat up for a second to make room, Donghae and Eunhyuk held onto Kangin, and Eeteuk barely slowed down as they passed the guy. Kangin grabbed him and deposited him in the seat vacated by Heechul’s head, grabbing his bag with the other hand and passing it backwards before shutting the door.

                Heechul laid his head down in the guy’s lap and smiled. “Hi, pillow.”

                Kibum just blinked in complete confusion. “Hi, Heechul-hyung.” He blinked for a second, before coming to life. “Wait a minute! ‘Hi, pillow’? That’s all I get after all this time?!”

                “Hi, Kibum-hyung,” came a soft voice from the back. Kibum turned and smiled at Kyuhyun before he was put in a loving headlock by Kangin.

                Eeteuk smiled. Even through all the stresses, the heartbreak, the separation, nothing had changed. Siwon noticed his look. “What’s that look for, hyung?”

                Eeteuk looked over at Siwon. “We’re 15. We almost forgot that. With all the separation and distance, we almost let circumstance cause us to forget.” He laughed at the antics of the back. “We can’t let it do that again.”

                Siwon smiled himself and nodded. “We’re complete again.”