'We're warriors. This is what we do.'

Instincts

 

                Yongguk sat in the darkness, running his hands through his hair for the umpteenth time, eyes wide. The night before had been hell. Zelo had called him to the window, pointing.

                “Look, hyung! I think they’re shooting a new war movie for you.”

                Yongguk had looked, then pulled Zelo away from the window forcefully, throwing him to the floor and covering him just as the windows shattered from the force of one of the nearby office buildings collapsing. He’d pulled Zelo up, who was now wide-eyed and shaking, dragging him along as he yelled for the others. He’d dragged them into the hallway and down the stairs, into the rarely used basement practice room. He’d had Himchan help him cover the doorway with some old practice mats, then pulled everyone together. The lights had gone out not long after that, and the only sounds were the whimpers of s and the occasional shuddering boom from something else being bombed.

                Now, everyone was asleep, although fitfully. Zelo had a death grip on Jongup’s arm, and the latter was holding him tightly. Youngjae and Daehyun had fallen asleep leaning against a ragged pile of mats, shoulder to shoulder. Occasionally, one would start flinching in their dream, and the other would reach over and touch them. Secure in the knowledge they weren’t alone, they’d fall back into a semi-peaceful sleep. Himchan, the laid-back bastard he is, had fallen asleep as soon as the youngers were asleep, and his dreams didn’t seem to be marred by the happenings at all.

                Yongguk hadn’t slept. He’d sat in the dark, occasionally turning on the lantern they’d found hiding in some of their manager’s things to make sure the others were okay. Now, he panicked slightly, his eyes tearing up. Their manager had gone to his house to get a few things, and had been gone when the attack took place. Yongguk knew it was up to him to take care of his group, and that’s why he was stressing.

                He didn’t even hear someone moving around until a pair of arms pulled him into a hug. He pressed his face into the chest and sighed heavily. “I don’t know if I’m ready for this, Himchan.”

                Himchan didn’t ask how Yongguk knew it was him. “I don’t know if anyone in a position of leadership is ever ready, Yongguk. But I do know this.” Yongguk tilted his head to indicate he was listening. “I know you won’t let us down.”

                Yongguk took a deep breath and sat up. He nodded, although the darkness prevented Himchan from seeing it. “How can you stay so calm, Himchan? You look like this hasn’t fazed you in the slightest.”

                Himchan chuckled a bit. “Honestly, I’m terrified. Like you, though, I can’t show it to the others. Things are going to be difficult enough with Junhong and Jongup panicking. We’re the oldest. We have to be strong, for them.”

                Yongguk nodded and pulled Himchan into a hug. “I’m counting on you to keep me sane.”

                Himchan nodded against his shoulder. “And I’m counting on you for the same.”

                Zelo rolled a bit. He wasn’t sure what he was holding on to, but it was warm. Turning his head, he breathed in the familiar smell of Jongup. For a moment, he wondered why his bed was so hard. Suddenly, the events of the past day hit him hard and he sat bolt upright, breathing heavily, eyes wide. A second later, he was in someone’s arms. Himchan whispered softly to him. He didn’t get along with Himchan often, with the older’s playful nature grating on Zelo’s nerves, but right now, Zelo clung to him and cried.

                “Hyung…are we going to die?”

                Himchan pulled away to look into his eyes. “Not a chance, Junhong-ah. Yongguk won’t let that happen.”

                Zelo nodded, wiped his eyes and took a deep breath. “I’ll be strong too, hyung. I’ll help.”

                Himchan smiled. “You’ll be a big help, Junhong-ah, I’m sure.”

                Zelo looked around. “Where’s Yongguk-hyung?”

                “He went upstairs to see what’s going on and to get us some supplies.” As he finished speaking, the lights came back on. “Also to see if he could fix the lights.” Himchan smiled.

                The others started to stir. Jongup felt around in his sleep for anyone and jolted upright when he couldn’t find anyone. He visibly relaxed when he saw that he wasn’t alone, but he came forward and sat next to Zelo, linking their hands together. Zelo smiled.

                “Don’t worry, Jongup-hyung. We’ll be okay.”

                Youngjae’s eyes blinked open and he reached subconsciously for Daehyun. Verifying he was still there, Youngjae stretched, then reached over and gently shook Daehyun awake. Daehyun opened his eyes, checked for Youngjae, then looked over at Himchan.

                “Well, since everyone is awake, I suppose I should explain a few things.” Himchan took a deep breath. “We’re leaving here. There’s so much destruction around us that Yongguk and I don’t think it’s a good idea to stay. I know we were all hoping for manager-hyung to get back and take over, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. We’re going to have to work together to survive. Yongguk has an idea of where we should go, so when he gets back, we’re going to leave.”

                The others nodded nervously. Zelo stood up and started stretching, hauling Jongup up to stretch as well. Himchan walked to the door, opening it and looking out into the hallway. He smiled and stepped back to allow Yongguk, arms weighed down with bags, to come in. He set the bags down and looked at the group. Zelo and Jongup had gotten Daehyun and Youngjae to join them in stretching, which Zelo was leading. Himchan walked over and helped Yongguk set the bags down.

                “I see you talked to them.”

                Himchan nodded. “You’ve rubbed off quite nicely on Junhong-ah. He’s determined to help in whatever way he can and has taken it upon himself to be the morale-booster for the group.”

                Yongguk smiled. “We’ll need it, that’s for sure.”

                Himchan looked at the bags. “Did you get everything?”

                “Everything I could find. We’ll need to get more supplies once we’ve settled a bit, though.”

                Himchan nodded as Jongup walked over shyly. “Um…Yongguk-hyung?” Himchan stepped away, going and joining the others in stretching.

                “What’s up, Jongup-ah?”

                Jongup lowered his voice a bit more. “How do you know we’ll do well?”

               Yongguk blinked for a second, translating freaked-out teenager talk into a more applicable sentence before smiling. He tossed an arm around Jongup’s neck. “We’re warriors. This is what we do.”

                Jongup looked up at him for a second before a smile broke out on his face, eyes sparkling. He nodded and went back to stretching with renewed vigor. Yongguk watched his group for a second.

                “This is what we do.”