Dear Diary

Instincts

 

 

Day one: 20120804

Dear Diary,

I wonder if the world really is going to end in December. If it does, no one will really remember yesterday. Will this even be over by then? If it isn’t, will any of this have mattered? Will I have mattered?

Even if the world doesn’t end, will anyone remember me if I die?

I hope the kids got out safely. I think they did. I remember hyung saying something about it.

We have to be strong, like hyung. He can’t come get us. We have to take care of ourselves and each other.

We’re going to be strong. We already got out of the building after it collapsed. We found food and shelter. We’re a little scratched up, but we’ll be fine. We know where we’re going next.

I wonder if I’ll have to kill someone. I hope not. I don’t think I can. Maybe to save my hyungs.

Whether I’m dead or you’re digging this out of the rubble of Seoul years in the future, please do me a favor. Remember August 3rd, 2012. The day that Seoul fell. And, if you could, remember me. I’ll be writing in this often, but today I’ll sign my name.

Bang Cheolyong (AKA Mir)

 

Mir closed the diary and sighed quietly. He looked around. The others were sitting a little ways away, talking softly. Mir slid his diary into his pack. He’d gotten into the habit of writing in a diary during their time on Hello Baby, and he smiled a bit. Writing in this diary was bittersweet. This was his first entry in this diary, a gift from DaYoung and her family as a get-well gift not long ago. His mind drifted back to the days when the kids were around.

He started in surprise as someone dropped down next to him. He looked over. Joon wrapped an arm around him. “You should get some sleep, Miru.”

Mir shook his head. “I want to help watch.”

Joon smiled. “You can, but later. For now, sleep. You’ll need your rest.”

Mir started grumbling something about not being tired, only to be interrupted by a yawn. Joon chuckled. “Come on.” He pulled Mir up and dragged him over to the group of sleeping bags Byunghee had found. Seungho had just convinced Cheondung to lay down too. Despite the grumbling from both of them, they were out in a matter of minutes.

Byunghee came back from scouting outside and sat next to Seungho and Joon. "It's clear." He looked at the maknaes. "Finally got them to sleep, huh?"

Seungho nodded. "They needed it. They haven't slept since the night before last and after last night..."

Byunghee nodded. The three older men looked at the youngest two. 

"We owe them everything." Joon voiced what the other two were thinking.

 

~~Flashback~~

Joon opened his eyes, only to find darkness. He tried to move, but found he could only shift a bit.

"Byunghee? Seungho?"

A voice on his left answered him.

"I'm here. I can't move, but I'm here and everything is accounted for." Byunghee.

"Seungho? Can you hear me?"

"Yeah, I can hear you."

"What happened?"

Seungho's voice seemed a bit further away than Byunghee. "I don't know."

The darkness continued. Joon soon realized they were buried in the remains of the building. The three of them tried calling out, but no one answered. Joon finally asked the question he didn't want to ask.

"What do you think happened to Mir and Cheondung?"

No one answered. No one wanted to think about that, to allow their mind to wander to that place.

Time went by. Joon couldn't tell if it was minutes, hours or days. Suddenly, he tensed.

"Did you hear that?"

"------------ng!"

"---------yung!"

The three held their breaths and listened closely.

"-----ho-hyung!"

"--unghee-hyung!"

"Joon-hyung!"

The voices were much closer now. The three began yelling back.

"We're down here!"

Joon felt the weight on him lighten a bit. Suddenly, a face was peering down at him. Mir.

"Joon-hyung!"

The rubble was cleared relatively quickly and Joon stood up, an arm over Cheondung for support. He pointed toward the direction of the other two and allowed Cheondung to set him down on a piece of rubble while he helped Mir dig out Byunghee. Joon looked around. The street had been devastated. Byunghee was unceremoniously placed next to him, and the maknaes went to work on digging out the leader.

When everyone was clear, and after the pins and needles of lying in one position had subsided, the five of them went to work, finding supplies, food and a place to stay for a bit.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Joon looked over at Seungho. "So, what's the plan?"

Seungho's eyes unfocused as he concentrated on the schematics in his mind. "Figure out a way to haul our supplies and make for the industrial district first. If we don't find anything there, we go south until we find the lines. Once we're out of harm's way, we can look at evacuating."

Joon nodded. "Alright. Well, since we know we aren't waking them up, who's taking first watch?"

 

{{Hi everyone!!! Don't kill me because it's been ages, please!!! I've been dealing with school and a handful of personal issues. However, midterms are over and the personal issues are being dealt with, so you should be getting the other intro chapters in short order! <3}}