'We'll go together.'

Instincts

 

[A/N: This is going to be a weird chapter. There’ll be a few flashbacks, and each member has a separate section of this one. It’s because they’re separated and interesting things have happened that they were given this type of chapter.]

 

 

 

                G.D. groaned. His head hurt, his ears were ringing, and he could taste copper. He brought his fingers to his lips and winced. Blinking his eyes open, he looked at the blood on his fingers. He’d split his lip somehow. Looking up, he realized he was in his car, or, at least, what was left of it. There was something sitting on his hood. He squeezed his eyes shut for a second and opened them again. Looking around, he realized that, whatever had happened, he was exceptionally fortunate to be alive. The passenger side of his car was completely crushed, what looked like the corner of a building poking through. He made a quick check of his body. Other than a lump on his head, most likely from hitting the steering wheel, and his split lip, he was okay. He dragged himself out of his window, taking care not to cut his hands on the glass. When he was finally out of the car, he looked back at it. It was the corner of a building squishing his passenger side, as the car now held a 90 degree bend around the corner of the Charter Standard building at the corner of Worldcupbuk-ro and Yanghwa-ro. He also now recognized what was sitting on his hood. The stylized ‘S’ from the Seokyo Hotel sign sat there, it’s pointed bottom probably driven through his engine block. He looked up, trying to remember why he’d been on Yanghwa-ro to begin with, and what exactly had happened. His eyes widened as he remembered.

 

~~~~~~~~~~-Flashback-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Don’t worry, hyung. We’ll catch the next flight out.” G.D. nodded.

                His manager took a deep breath. “Are you sure?”

                G.D. nodded again, waving a hand. “Just go take care of the girls.”

                He’d watched their flight take off, pulling out his phone as it rang. “Hello?”

                Seungri’s breathless voice came through. “Hyung! I’m stuck in traffic!”

                G.D. just shook his head. “Don’t worry. We’re taking the next flight. I’m the only one here. The others are probably stuck too.”

                Seungri sighed in relief. “I should be there in a bit.”

                They didn’t make the next flight either. While everyone else had eventually shown up in various states of distress, and in Daesung’s case, looking like he’d run the last few kilometers to the airport, Taeyang hadn’t shown. He wasn’t answering his phone, and no one knew where he was. G.D. finally made a decision.

                “Go home. Make sure you have everything you want. Be here first thing tomorrow morning.”

                “Where are you going, hyung?” Daesung sounded exceptionally worried.

                “I’m going to go find Youngbae and get him here. Just make sure you’re here in the morning.”

The others nodded nervously and had split up. G.D. went to his car, flung his luggage in the trunk and shook his head.

Getting through the city took longer than G.D. thought it would. After a little while of dealing with the main streets, he’d cut through some back streets, winding up on Yanghwa-ro. It was less busy than he thought it would be. He knew he didn’t have far to go on the street.

                Suddenly, there was a flash, and a couple of the buildings up the street exploded. G.D. flinched as debris flew towards his car and heard more explosions around him. He felt his car fishtail wildly and saw something flying toward him. Then, there was darkness.

                The throbbing in his head had calmed a bit, allowing G.D. to look around with a more objective state of mind. It was now mid-morning, he thought, and a glance at his, fortunately still functioning, watch verified that. He took a breath and looked around again, getting his bearings.

                “Well, Jiyong, you can’t just stand here. The world’s going to hell. Might as well find the others.” He remembered where he’d been going when the world exploded and nodded to himself. Fighting with the car for a moment, he managed to pry open the trunk, grab his essentials, and threw his backpack on his shoulder. Taking one more moment to make absolutely sure where he was, he started walking.

 

                The first thing TOP could register was pain. Sharp pain was shooting up his arm. Without opening his eyes, he felt around. Something was pinning his arm down. Bracing himself a bit, he shoved it aside, and the pain subsided. He sighed, and was about to fall back asleep when his mind finally caught up with the situation and his eyes flew open.

                The world was grey. He couldn’t understand it at first, but as he put his hands beneath him to push up upright, he felt dirt and stones. Blinking, he looked down. “That’s not dirt…” He pushed himself to his knees and felt more of the dirt and stones sliding down his back and from his hair. Looking around, his eyes widened.

                It looked like a war zone. Pieces of rubble and plane parts were strewn about the area. TOP sat for a second, reaching back into his mind.

~~~~~~~~-Flashback-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                TOP had chosen to remain at the airport. There were plenty of rows of chairs, and the airport had decided that they would be nicely padded and have no armrests, allowing passengers to stretch out. He’d put his luggage in a locker and went to one of the restaurants in the airport for some dinner with Daesung. After eating, they’d spent a little while in the PC bang, checking their e-mail and Twitter. Then, he’d bid goodbye to Daesung, who was taking the subway home, before retiring to set of chairs in the corner. He flopped down on his stomach, rested his chin on his travel pillow, and pulled out a book. He hadn’t gotten three pages when something outside caught his attention. He liked watching the planes coming and going, and a 777 was pulling away from the gate nearby. He smiled, watching the plane gracefully make its turn and preparing to pull forward. Suddenly, the plane was no longer there, replaced instead by a fireball and flying parts. His eyes widened in horror as another fireball left a crater in the runway. People were screaming and running, but he didn’t have time to push himself upright when he felt something pick him up and throw him. He felt the heat from the flames propelling him and closed his eyes as he slammed out a window, the spiderweb of cracks giving way as he hit. He opened his eyes just in time to see the ground rushing at him before he hit and everything faded away.

                He looked over. Gimpo airport was reduced to nothing but rubble and dust. A couple random fires burned. He walked closer and quickly turned his vision away. He had seen more than enough. He couldn’t seem to get the visual of the tiny little arm sitting primly on a piece of tarmac out of his head though, and his vision swam. He hurried to a piece of concrete and fell to his knees, his dinner from just a few hours prior making a return visit. He knelt there for what felt like hours, emptying his stomach of everything until he was dry heaving. Finally, he spit and stood up, wiping his mouth with his hand. Without turning back, he headed toward the city, going toward the only place he knew would have one of the members.

 

                Daesung coughed and groaned. Rolling over, he found his hand resting on something metal. He blinked his eyes open and looked around.

                It was a subway car, that much he could tell. But something was wrong. Slowly pulling himself upright, he hit on what was wrong. The car was on its side. The emergency lights were on, illuminating the car in a strange glow, causing the scene to be even more disconcerting. There hadn’t been anyone in the car with him, as people were rushing to the airport, not away from it. He wasn’t exactly sure why the car was on its side, but his rational side took over pretty quickly, and he stood up. Looking up, he realized they were in one of the tunnels, but a very faint glow made him realize they weren’t too far from the mouth of it. He judged the feasibility, then pulled himself up, using the mini luggage area over the seats and the metal poles as rungs. He got to the top of the car and hauled himself out of one of the broken windows. Standing up, he looked down the tunnel both directions. Two cars back from his, the train disappeared into a pile of rocks and debris. The three cars ahead of his were also tipped over, falling off the track. He jumped the small gap between the cars, peering inside the passenger area. There was no one there. He checked the other two cars. It was the same. He lowered himself off the car and dropped to the ground. He rounded the front of the car and peered into the driver’s area. The front window was shattered and a brief check revealed the driver a little ways down the track. Daesung remembered his first aid class and knelt down, checking for a pulse. He lowered his head when he didn’t find one. Standing up, he looked toward the mouth of the tunnel. Going back to Gimpo was impossible from here now. He walked toward the opening, deciding on the only course of action left.

 

                Seungri wiped his eyes. He’d been inside when the destruction began, having stopped at a familiar restaurant. When things began exploding, he’d been rushed down to the basement. The owner of the restaurant had run back upstairs to get his staff and Seungri had been about to go after him when a nearby explosion shook the building. Something had knocked him unconscious.

                Now, after digging himself out of the basement, he tried to keep his emotions in check. The street was pretty much destroyed. Seungri moved through the devastation, trying to find any sign of life. After a few minutes, he realized he was alone. He’d been unconscious through the night and into this morning. Those that had survived had probably already run.

                He sat down on a piece of marble that had once been a mini-stage and looked around. Sinchon was in ruins. He took a few minutes, getting his bearings, and stood up. Looking around once more, he started walking.

               

                Taeyang knew he was being irrational, probably selfish, and very stupid, but he didn’t care. He hadn’t bothered telling the others what he was doing, only sending G.D. a text telling them to leave without him. He looked out the window. The city had been bombed, and Taeyang had watched it happen. It was far enough away from him to not be a major threat, really, but close enough for him to feel the vibrations. He’d watched, as buildings fell, and thought to the others, hoping that they were getting settled well in Japan. Now, he watched out the window and waited for something.

 

                Daesung sighed and leaned back against the wall of the building. Getting off the tracks had been easy enough, but now he had to attempt to remember where he was going. He was never exceptionally good with directions, expecting his GPS to help him with that. Now, he was pretty sure he was very very lost, and looked around him again. He shifted the backpack on his back anxiously. He’d exited the subway station and found himself face to face with a sign that caused him to tilt his head. The single syllable was enough to get his survival instincts stirring. Yak. Now, he had a pack full of things he was sure would be needed in the future: gauze, bandages, painkillers, burn ointment. He glanced around again, his nerves on edge. Nothing moved. The city had been abandoned long before, even the tradition minded elders having fled in the face of the bombing. He marveled at how silent the city seemed when something caught his eye. Something moved.

                TOP walked in a daze, not really seeing where he was going, his feet taking him where he knew he needed to go automatically. Unlike Daesung, TOP had always been pretty good with directions. Even now, with his mind racing off in other directions, his deeper memory directed him to his destination. He wasn’t aware of anything until a hand reached out and touched his arm.

                “Seunghyun-hyung?”

                TOP started, surprised, and his eyes cleared from his daze. He looked over into the concerned face of Daesung.

                “Seunghyun-hyung, you’re bleeding. Here, let me-“ Daesung was cut off as TOP pulled him into a hug. Daesung’s eyes widened. TOP was fun, lively and interesting, but he rarely showed affection to the group outside of the occasional times with G.D. Something big had happened, and Daesung didn’t like that. TOP was usually more laid-back than G.D. Rarely did anything ruffle his feathers, but when they did, it was bad.

                Daesung pulled away after a couple minutes. “Seunghyun-hyung, let me fix your wound.” TOP followed Daesung’s vision and seemed surprise to find his arm was bleeding. He held it out, and Daesung cleaned it as well as he could before bandaging it. Once it was finished and everything had been put away, Daesung looked at TOP. “Where are you going, hyung?”

                TOP finally spoke. “Youngbae’s house. G.D. was on his way there, right?”

                Daesung nodded. “That’s where I was going too, only…” He trailed off.

                TOP actually managed a small smile. “Only you don’t have any idea where you’re going.” The smile got a bit bigger as Daesung nodded sheepishly. “Come on. We’ll go together.”

 

                Seungri had been walking for a little bit and had finally managed to clear the rubble of the back streets and make it to a major road. It had taken some time as he’d had to scale the remains of a few buildings and skirt some unstable looking rubble. He’d only taken a few steps when he heard someone shout. Turning, he shook his head and smiled.

                “Only you, hyung…” he murmured.

 

                G.D. sighed. It was hot, lonely, and way too quiet for his liking. He didn’t like the silence. He’d only been walking for about 10 minutes, but even those seemed unreal. He knew this was a dangerous situation, and that he should be using caution, but all those thoughts were shoved away by the dragon side of him screaming ‘LOOK!! PERSON!!!’ He sped up and shouted.

                “Yah!”

                The person turned and G.D. smiled. He couldn’t tell who it was, but it was a person, and that meant an end to the silence. Coming closer, his smiled widened.

                “Seungri!” He wrapped the maknae in a quick hug before stepping back and looking at him. “You're…really dirty.”

               Seungri rolled his eyes. “That’s what happens when you have to dig yourself out of a basement and through rubble, hyung.” He looked at G.D.’s once white shirt. “You’re bloody.”

                G.D. nodded, walking again. “Yeah, well, you know how it is. blowing up, wrapping my car around a building. It’ll break some skin sometimes.”

                Seungri stopped for a moment before hurrying to catch up. “You wrecked your car?”

                G.D. nodded. “Yeah. It’s got a new hood ornament, too, but I think it’s served its time well.”

                Seungri blinked. “O…kay. Where are you going, hyung?”

                “WE are going to Youngbae’s house. Hopefully, everyone else will wind up there at some point or another. From there, we’ll figure it out.”

                Seungri blinked again, then shrugged. “Whatever you say, hyung.” He walked next to G.D, letting his hyung yammer on to calm his nerves.

 

                TOP stopped in his tracks, causing Daesung to almost fall into him. He listened for a second before smiling. “Well, looks like we made the right decision.”

                Daesung looked at him in confusion. “Um…what?”

                TOP pointed, and Daesung broke into a run.

                G.D. was so into his story that he didn’t even notice someone running up on him until Daesung nearly knocked him over hugging him. “Ahh, looks as though I was correct in my assumption.”

                Seungri rolled his eyes as Daesung let go of G.D. to let TOP hug him, and found himself squished in Daesung’s embrace instead. “Daesung…can’t…breathe…”

                Daesung let go and scratched the back of his head sheepishly. “Sorry, Seungri-ah.” He turned to the two olders. “Are you going to Youngbae-hyung’s house too, hyung?”

                G.D. nodded. “I don’t know what he’s thinking, but we’re going to have to drag him out of that house one way or the other.” Reminded of his mission, G.D. set out again, the others following, rolling their eyes as he started talking. Again.

               

                Taeyang didn’t remember falling asleep. He did remember someone pounding on his door, though. He stirred a bit and looked over to the door in time to watch it slam open, a foot hovering in the air for a moment. “See? Told you I didn’t need him to answer the door.” Taeyang rolled his eyes. Leave it to G.D.

                Said talkative dragon sauntered in a second later, followed by the more tame members of the group. G.D. didn’t waste any time. “Pack a bag, Youngbae. We’ve gotta find some place to settle for a bit.”

                Taeyang looked at him. “You should be in Japan.”

                G.D. shrugged. “Kinda hard to go to Japan without everyone, you know?”

                “I told you to go without me.”

                G.D. laughed. “And you seriously expected me to take orders from you?”

                Taeyang shook his head. “I’m staying here, Jiyong.”

                “The hell you are.”

                Seungri sighed. “Here we go…”

                Taeyang stood up. For some odd reason, G.D.’s attitude was pissing him off today. “I said, I’m staying.”

               G.D. looked at him for a good five seconds before he swung. Taeyang hit the carpet and G.D. turned to TOP. “Sorry, but you’re going to have to carry him for a bit.” TOP just nodded and moved toward Taeyang.

                Daesung stood there blinking while Seungri folded his arms. “Impatient much, hyung?”

                G.D. shrugged as he started packing stuff into a duffel bag. “This isn’t the time for his overly-emotional breakdown. He can do that later, once we’re a bit more secure than here.” He looked at Daesung. “What’s in the backpack?”

                Daesung jolted back to his senses. “Medical supplies.”

                G.D. nodded. “See if there’s anything here you can add to that.” Daesung moved off. “Seungri, wanna see about finding some food, maybe?”

                Seungri had already moved toward the kitchen. “On it, hyung.”

                Ten minutes later, the four of them left Taeyang’s place, each carrying something. TOP had Taeyang on his back, and G.D. had put a backpack on Taeyang’s back. Daesung had his backpack plus a duffel bag G.D. had thrown to him. Seungri and G.D. had a duffel bag apiece. G.D. stopped and looked around. The street was rather clear. Seungri read the look on his face and sighed. “That truck looks durable enough to get through here and big enough to fit us all,” he said, turning G.D.’s attention to the black pickup.

                G.D. smiled. “You always were good at reading us, Seungri-ah.” G.D. tried the door, and delighted in finding that it was unlocked. The others loaded the bags into the bed and clambered inside. G.D. looked for a set of keys, but finding none, began pulling wires out from under the dash. A few minutes later, the truck roared to life. “Thank you.” He grinned.

                Seungri rolled his eyes again. “I’m not sure if meeting that American was a good thing for you, hyung. You shouldn’t know how to do that.”

                G.D. shrugged. “Hey, this is a valid opportunity to use a skill taught to me by a member of another country while I was visiting said country. It’s part of their culture!”

                TOP laughed while Seungri shook his head. “Only in that game, hyung. Only in that game.”

 

 

[A/N: Yes, I know Seungri's real name is ALSO Seunghyun, but, for the sake of keeping everyone straight, the Big Bang members call him Seungri when talking to him. (Whether they ACTUALLY do or not.) This is mostly to keep ME sane as well. ^_^ Also, I don't know why this keeps rating itself as 'M'. It's not.]