'There's no other choice.'

Instincts

 

 

                Onew looked out the window of the dorm, taking in the destroyed scene before him. There had been news for weeks that an attack could come at any time. The United States had hauled out most of their civilians, (with the exception of some, as Onew could clearly remember seeing Kevin and Eli from UKISS not two days prior,) and the government had called for every male of military age to be prepared to be conscripted. Unfortunately for the government, the attack had been so sudden and so devastating that there had been no time to call for anyone. The whispered voices behind him dragged Onew back from his musings. He glanced back at the others. Key was flitting around, so stressed that he couldn’t sit still, Jonghyun was staring into space, probably thinking about the various possibilities, Minho was watching the door, waiting, and Taemin was almost in tears, curled up on the couch. Onew had come to the realization long ago that the company wouldn’t be back for them. They had packed the girls and the young members of EXO onto SNSD’s private plane, and had taken off, promising to return for the SHINee, Super Junior and DBSK. It wouldn’t happen now, Onew knew, if the smoke and rubble that had once been Gimpo and Incheon airports were any indication. Yunho had hauled Onew aside that morning after the attack, making sure he would be able to lead his group, as he and Changmin were leaving. Onew had to give Yunho a major amount of respect as a leader. Even though Junsu, Yuchun, and Jaejung had left years ago, he refused to rest until he knew they were safe too. Eeteuk had barely said goodbye as he and the rest of Super Junior tore off into the city, their minds and hearts set on finding out the fate of their own missing members. Onew remembered something about their two Chinese members from their M sub-unit having flown in the day before, and with Heechul in the military, the strikes on military complexes had driven Super Junior into a mess of rage and fear. Onew didn’t begrudge them for leaving. SHINee was his responsibility.

                Onew’s gaze became far away as he started thinking. The managers had gone not a few days prior, evacuating the families of the idols out of Korea. He knew they were safe because Minho’s family had put up one hell of a fight about leaving, calling Minho from the States and complaining about not being able to understand anyone and how bad the food was. Key’s family in Daegu had put up a bit of a fight, not thinking they were in any danger, but Key had managed to convince them to leave. He admitted, he felt bad for the manager stuck with Taemin’s family. He’d gotten a call from him the day before, asking after Taemin.

                “Keep him safe until we get there, okay? If you don’t, his mother’s going to kill me.” Onew had chuckled and agreed.

                He brought his gaze back to s. Key was comforting Taemin, Minho was still staring at the door, and Jonghyun had stood up, walking towards Onew.

                “They aren’t coming, are they?”

                Onew shook his head and subtly pointed out the window. Jonghyun took in the sight of the smoke rising from where the airports had once been and nodded.

                “What do we do now?”

                Onew took a deep breath. “We survive until we can be rescued. There’s no other choice.”

                Jonghyun nodded and Onew cleared his throat. The other three jumped, startled, and turned to him. “The company isn’t coming back for us.”

                At this Key and Minho jumped up, arguing, while Taemin finally broke down into tears. Onew held up his hands and waited until there was quiet again. “Even if they were going to come back for us, they can’t. The airports are gone.” Minho’s face hardened a bit, and Key dropped onto the couch, slack-jawed, absentmindedly patting Taemin on the back. Onew took another breath. “We have to assume that whoever attacked us won’t just stop with the bombing. We can’t stay here.”

                Key finally found his voice. “What about the DBSK and Super Junior hyungs? Are we going with them?”

                Onew shook his head. “No. Yunho-hyung and Changmin-hyung left a little while ago to look for Junsu-hyung, Yuchun-hyung and Jaejung-hyung. Eeteuk-hyung and the rest of Super Junior took off right after the attack. Henry and Zhoumi flew in yesterday, and Heechul-hyung was doing his shift on base during the attack. They’re looking for them.”

                Taemin had stopped crying while Onew was talking. He hugged Key and pulled Minho down, hugging him too. “Then we’re lucky.” Everyone turned to him. “We’re all here. We all live together, and none of us is missing or separated. The DBSK and Super Junior hyungs weren’t lucky like us.”

                No one spoke for a moment. Then, Onew and Jonghyun moved forward, embracing the others. The group hug lasted a few moments before Onew broke it, turning to look out the window again. He studied the broken landscape of Seoul before he nodded and turned back. “I know where we’re going.” He pointed to each member in turn. “Taemin, can you gather some clothes for us? Dark grey or black would be best, I think. Jonghyun, find or make us some temporary weapons. Minho, we’re going to need food that can travel and last, and water. Key, I need you to go through everything we own and find things that may be of value. We might need them to trade for supplies later.” Surprisingly, everyone turned to do what Onew asked without question. Onew moved into the bedroom and pulled out a couple empty duffel bags before ducking out the door. He returned a couple minutes later, the duffel bags filled. Jonghyun raised an eyebrow, but didn’t ask any questions.

                Twenty minutes later, the five of them were gathered in the kitchen. Onew nodded. “Alright, everyone grab what you can carry and let’s go.” He held up a set of keys. “We’re taking the van.” Everyone filed out the door, but Onew grabbed Jonghyun before he could get too far. “Jonghyun.” As soon as the others were out of sight, Onew handed Jonghyun a handgun. Jonghyun’s eyes widened. “I knew where the security guards kept them.”

                Jonghyun shook his head. “Hyung, I…”

                “I trust you, Jonghyun.”

                Jonghyun’s eyes widened for a second before he nodded and took the gun. He looked it over, made sure the safety was on (once he figured out what that meant), and slipped it into his pocket. They grabbed their bags and headed out the door.

 

[A/N: Sorry that SHINee’s is a bit shorter than the others at the moment! With them being together already, it drops the amount of writing required to get them in the same spot. .-. The next chapter dealing with them will be longer, promise!]