Jisoo and Solar's plan - and what happened after

Madame Park's Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo lay awake long after Moonbyul had gone to sleep. She just couldn't get her mind off of what had happened with Jennie. Why had Jennie kissed her like that? And why did she - she had to admit - like it? What exactly had Jennie meant by Jisoo being her "plaything"? Jisoo laid there so long that she heard the clock strike twelve, then twelve thirty, then one. She knew she would be tired the next day - and on a day when she particularly need to be alert and rested because of scientific boxing - but she just couldn't go to sleep. Finally, somewhere between one and one thirty, her body overrode her mind's desire to stay awake.

It seemed like she had just fallen asleep when she heard Moonbyul calling her "Jisoo! Wake up! It's almost time for breakfast!"

Jisoo rolled over. "Don't be ridiculous," she slurred. "Breakfast isn't for hours yet."

Suddenly Jisoo was cold, as Moonbyul had pulled the blanked off of her. "I hate to do this," Moonbyul said, "but you've got to get up - you've only got ten minutes until time to line up for breakfast."

Ten minutes? Jisoo jumped out of bed, washed her face, brushed her teeth, and got dressed as quickly as she could. As it was, she and Moonbyul made it to the front hall with only seconds to spare before the second bell rang.

Madame Park noticed Jisoo and Moonbyul's near-tardiness, but she didn't comment on it. This made it worse - a punishment would be worked off, but Madame Park's displeasure could build over time until she released it unpredictably.

When time came for them to sit down, Jennie pulled Jisoo's chair out for her, then helped her scoot forward. "You look tired, Chichu," Jennie said, so quietly that Jisoo doubted anyone else could hear her. "Are you going to be ready to box this morning?"

Jisoo nodded. "I'll be ready. You'd just better see to it that you're ready."

"Ooh, such big talk!" Jennie said with a smile as she sat down next to Jisoo.

As they started eating, conversation turned to the day's events. "Jennie," Madame Park said, "have you given any thought to our conversation last night?"

Jennie nodded. "Yes ma'am. I think I know what I'd like my perk to be."

"A perk?" Solar said, her astonishment evident in her voice. Perks were the most sought-after reward at the Academy. Perks could be used to cancel out a demerit or cashed in for a privilege. Madame Park handed out no more than one perk a week, and none of the other teachers were authorized to give out perks.

Madame Park turned to Solar. "Yes," she said, "a perk. I didn't think it was fair that Jennie stood to lose her spot in the rankings if she lost one or both of the matches today, but stood to gain nothing if she won them both. So I told Jennie that if she wins both of this morning's matches, she could choose a perk." Madame Park returned her attention to Jennie. "So tell us, Jennie, what have you decided your perk should be?"

Jennie shook her head. "I'd rather not say, ma'am. I don't want anyone to be distracted during the match by thoughts of what my perk might be."

"Well," Madame Park said, laughing softly, "that is very sportswomanlike of you, Jennie. I shall be interested to hear what your perk is, should you be fortunate enough to win both your matches."

Sportswomanlike! Jisoo concentrated on her breakfast to keep from blurting out what she was thinking. Jennie wasn't being sportswomanlike at all! She knew that an undefined threat from her would be more effective than any threat she might devise. She had to take a  couple of deep breaths and a sip of tea to help calm her nerves.

"Jisoo, are you feeling quite well?" Madame Park asked. "We could postpone the matches to another day if you're feeling too ill to compete today."

As tempting as the proposition was, Jisoo knew better than so show weakness in front of Jennie. "I'm fine," she said. "I'll be ready to compete today."

"Looking at your eyes," Madame Park went on, "it doesn't look like you slept well last night."

"I didn't," Jisoo admitted, "but it wasn't bad enough to keep me from competing."

"Very well, if you insist," Madame Park said. Folding her napkin and placing it beside her plate, she stood up. "I have some paperwork to complete," she announced. "You girls finish your breakfast and I'll see you all in the ballroom in an hour." She turned to leave the room, then stopped in the doorway and turned back toward the table. "Hwasa," she said, "bring the first two volumes of the Dictionary of Music and Musicians with you when you come."

Once Madame Park had left the room, Hwasa asked "What am I supposed to do with the Dictionary of Music and Musicians during scientific boxing class? And why only the first two volumes?" No one had the slightest idea, and it was generally agreed that this was a secret that would have to keep until they arrived at the ballroom.

 

 

When Madame Park entered the ballroom, all the students were there and waiting. Jennie, Solar, and Jisoo had already put on their boxing gloves, and Hwasa was holding the first two volumes of the Dictionary of Music and Musicians.

"Ah, good," said Madame Park, "everything is as I expected it to be. First things's first: Hwasa and Wheein, I've noticed that your posture has been a little bit lacking recently, so while observing the boxing matches, you will each be balancing a volume of the Dictionary of Music and Musicians on your head. Keep in mind that these books are expensive and I had to have them shipped from England. There will be consequences should either volume fall."

Hwasa handed one of the books to Wheein and they both positioned them carefully on their heads, standing straight and still to be sure the books didn't fall.

Madame Park nodded. "Very good. Now, everyone clear space for a ring. Jennie and Jisoo get ready to fight."

As the others shuffled around to make space for the match to take place, Solar came up and Jisoo and said "Just remember: You don't have to beat her. You just have to tire her out so that I can beat her. The important thing is that Jennie loses today."

Jisoo nodded. "Especially now that we know she's been promised a perk if she wins both bouts."

Solar shook her head. "Don't even think about that. You just concentrate on your defense and I'll see to it that Jennie loses a bout."

"Okay," Madame Park announced, "Jennie and Jisoo to the middle of the ring. Shake hands and come out fighting."

As Jisoo and Jennie stepped forward for the bumping of gloves that constituted a handshake in scientific boxing, Jisoo couldn't help but notice the devious smile Jennie was giving her. As they touched their gloves, Jennie spoke, so quietly that only Jisoo could hear: "Don't worry, plaything. I'll try not to hurt you when I beat you."

They stepped apart, raised their guard, and started circling, looking for an opening. As they circled around so that Madame Park as behind Jennie, Jennie blew Jisoo a kiss. Momentarily distracted, Jisoo let Jennie's jab slip by her defense, knocking her head back. As they resumed their guarded positions, Jennie quietly said "I think you want me to take care of you. I think you know I'll treat you better than Moonstar does." Jisoo blocked the next two blows, but a third one was able slip past her defenses, landing on her cheek. Jisoo felt the burning where her face had been struck, and another burning further down.

Even as she blocked Jennie's punches, part of Jisoo's mind on the events of the night before, when Jennie had kissed her. Why couldn't she take her mind off of that? She didn't want to kiss Jennie, did she?  She threw a couple of jabs to buy herself time to think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter