Jisoo earns her first demerits, and how she works them off

Madame Park's Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo and Solar saw the nurse, a woman called IU who looked to be in her mid-20s.  She taped up Solar's ribs and then sent them back to class.  

"IU also teaches the toxicology and first aid classes," Solar told Jisoo as they walked down the stairs. The openness that she had displayed on the way up the stairs had vanished, replaced by her usual defensive walls.

They walked back into the gym just in time to see Jennie defeate Moonbyul in a training match.

"Come on girls, get suited up and get to training," Madame Park called out to Jisoo and Solar when she saw them. "Solar, show Jisoo how to get suited up, show her how to do a lunge, and set her to doing quadrant drills. Then you'll be running a string of matches against all your classmates, starting with Moonbyul and ending with Jenny."

"That chain of matches she has you doing sounds like a lot more than regular training," Jisoo quietly said to Solar as she struggled to put on the stiff jacket Solar had handed her.

Solar looked up from fastening the buckles on her jacket. "It's my punishment for being late," she said with a shrug.

"But it's not your fault you were late!" Jisoo protested. "You were only late because you went to the nurse, and you only had to go to the nurse because of me. I should be the one getting punished."

Solar handed Jisoo a helmet with a facemask and showed her how to adjust the straps so it fit her properly and wouldn't slide around. "Don't worry," she said, "you'll be getting your share of punishments. Unless Madame Park thinks you're another Jennie, in which case you'll be worked harder but never punished."

Jisoo shuddered. "I don't think I'm like Jennie."

"We'll see," Solar said with a smirk. "Madame Park says we never know what we're truly like until we're tested. We'll just have to wait and see." She grabbed and couple of swords of the rack and led Jisoo over to a leather target on the wall. The leather was scuffed from years of students hitting it, but Jisoo could still see that it was divided into 4 quadrants. "To do a lunge, you stand like this," Solar said, demonstrating a stance where she was side-on to the target, with her front foot facing toward it and her back foot crosswise. "Then you step forward as you lean forward and extend your arm." She demonstrating, the point of her sword landing exactly in the center of the target. "Usually we work with a partner, who randomly calls out a quadrant from 1 to 4 for us to target, but since you're working by yourself, you'll just work your way around: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, until Madame Park tells you to stop. By the time you're done, you'll feel like your arm is going to fall off, but don't let her see you slacking."

"Solar, your classmates are waiting for you. Aren't you done teaching Jisoo the lunge yet. You're both intelligent girls -" her eyes flicker over to Moonbyul for a split second when she said the word "intelligent" - "so it shouldn't take long."

"On my way, Madame Park," Solar called out, adjusting her helmet as she raced to confront the others. Jisoo watched the beginning of Jisoo's match with Solar's match with Hwasa until she felt the weight of Madame Park's gaze on her. She quickly turned back to the target and began her drills. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3. . . After a while the target began to swim in front of her eyes, her arm fell like it was going to fall off, and her legs were burning, but she didn't dare stop.  No before Madame Park told her to stop.  She didn't know what would happen if she stopped early, but she knew it wouldn't be good.

Finally, Jisoo heard Madame Park call out. "That will be all, Jisoo. Put away your equipment, go clean yourself up, and be downstairs when the bell rings for lunch."

"Yes, ma'am," Jisoo called out with what little breath she had remaining. By the time she took her helmet off and looked around, Madame Park was gone. She put the sword back in the rack and hung up the helmet and jacket on their pegs. She headed to the door that she thought led to her room. Fortunately, Moonbyul was waiting for her just outside the door.

"I've never seen Madame Park keep anyone at quadrant drills for so long. You were at it for almost two hours."

Two hours! No wonder her muscles were sore and her vision was swimming and she was having trouble thinking. She let Moonbyul guide her to their room, where she took of her exercise clothes, cleaned herself up as best she could at the water basin, and started getting into her uniform. She was just starting to button her boots when the first bell rang.

"Hurry!" Moonbyul urged her. Moonbyul then grabbed her own button hook and started buttoning Jisoo's right boot while Jisoo finished the left. They hurried down the stairs, but the second bell rang before they entered the anteroom. Not more than ten or fifteen seconds before, but certainly before they were in their assigned place in line. Madame Park looked disapprovingly at them.

"Late for lunch on your second day at school, Kim Jisoo - not exactly encouraging. Tonight after dinner you are to go to the library, read from Florence Hartley, and recopy every sentence containing the word 'punctual' or any variation thereof. I believe you will find six of them."

After then had been seated and served their salads, light conversation began amongst the students. Jisoo took the opportunity to ask Moonbyul who or what Florence Hartley was.

"Florence Hartle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter