Jisoo arrives in Busan

Madame Park's Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo and Captain Lee took a coach down to Busan, spending the nights in inns along the road, where they replicated their wedding night every night. She found lying with Captain Lee pleasant enough, but she doubted it could ever compare to her nocturnal adventures with her schoolmates. Still, she had hopes that perhaps as she got to know him better, she might be able to introduce some variety to their lovemaking, which would make things more satisfactory.

When they arrived in Busan, it was to discover that Captain Lee's boat was to be retained in port for three additional days while some final repairs to the engine were made. Jisoo expected him to be upset by this delay, but was pleasantly surprised to find that he was pleased by it.

"This gives me time to help you choose a house," he said. "I'll feel better about being at sea if I know you're in a stout house in a good neighborhood."

They spent most of the next day looking at houses. Jisoo remembered her lessons in household management with Jinyoung and was pleased to find that Captain Lee was open to listening to her opinions about the house. In fact, he seemed pleased that she had an opinion about things.

"My mother wanted me to marry an old-fashioned woman," he said, "but I find I much prefer the modern style of woman, such as yourself. You obviously have a brain and you know how to use it - I likely would have accepted the second house we looked at today, if you hadn't known where to look to see if there was an infestation of bedbugs."

Jisoo blushed under his praise, but found that she was pleased that he was pleased with her. Not only would it make her daily life with him more pleasant, but it would also make her mission more possible.

It was late that afternoon before they found a house that satisfied both of them. They unpacked their clothes and other household goods, then realized that even had there been food in the house, there wasn't enough time for Jisoo to cook dinner for them.

"When we were driving in, I noticed a restaurant a couple of blocks down," Jisoo suggested, "if you don't mind French food."

"You forget I've been a sailor half my life," he said. "I could make a meal out of a piece of shoe leather and count myself lucky to have it."

"Well, hopefully this will be quite a bit better than shoe leather," she ventured.

He laughed. "I daresay it will." He looked around as they walked out of the house. "It's still light, and we've spent half the day in cabs. How would you feel about walking to this restaurant?"

Jisoo assured him that she was quite a good walker and they set out on their way. The restaurant was a couple block further away than Jisoo had recalled, but they still found it easily enough.

Dinner was quite good. They both started with onion soup, then she had a chicken croquet while he had steak frites, and they finished the meal off with Napoleon pastries and coffee. And as good as the food was, the conversation was even better. Captain Lee told the tales of his time at sea that were fit to be told in mixed company and, after he assured her that he wouldn't find it at all boring, she told him the stories of her time at the academy that were fit to tell someone outside the secret societies. Jisoo made a mental note to prepare some more suitable stories in advance. Fortunately, Madame Park had had them read a number of school novels so they would be prepared to pretend they had gone to an ordinary academy.

The next morning Jisoo awoke to find that Captain Lee had already left for the docks so he could supervise the repairs on his ship. After getting dressed, she sat down and wrote to her parents letting them know of her safe arrival and also to Jennie so that everyone at Madame Park's would have her new address. Checking the time, she saw she had enough time before the postman stopped by to write another letter, so she write to Irene, informing the students at Madame Young's of her recent wedding and providing them with her new address. She finished just in time to hand the letters to the postman. She then picked up her reticule and her shopping basket and set out for the grocer's, where she picked out food for the night's dinner and the next morning's breakfast. She had thought to economize by skipping lunch, but she saw that the grocer had some reasonably priced mandu, so she bought a few of those as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter