Jisoo observes Madame Young's teaching methods

Madame Park's Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The coach ride to Seoul was miserable. It rained the whole way there, so they had to keep the curtains drawn. On top of that, Jennie and Solar bickered for the entire three days - neither of them could say anything without the other one disagreeing. Jisoo and Moonbyul talked quietly and wished they were back in the other coach with Rose, Lisa, Hwasa, and Whee-in. Eventually, though, they pulled up in front of what was apparently Madame Young's Academy and dashed through the rain into the front hall. 

Somehow, Madame Young had known exactly when to come to the front hall to greet them and had her students line up. Jisoo caught Joy's eye and exchanged smiles with her.

"Welcome to my academy," Madame Young said. "I except you will find much that is similar to Madame Park's academy, but also much that is different. Unfortunately, there are more of you than there are of my ladies, so each of my ladies will have to be guide to one pair of you. Irene, as head girl, you may choose first, then so on down the line. Yeri, you will not have a pair to guide, but instead must be available to help whenever and wherever needed. Irene, your choice?"

Irene chose Jennie and Jisoo, of course. Jisoo and Joy exchanged shrugs over this. Seulgi chose Solar and Moonbyul. Joy chose Lisa and Rose, and Wendy was left with Hwasa and Whee-in. The whole time this was going on, Jisoo took advantage of the opportunity to study Madame Young. She seemed younger than Madame Park, but had the same air of command about her. Jisoo noticed that Madame Young wore an elaborate silver and pearl ring on her left hand; something about it seemed familiar, but she couldn't place it.

"Now," Madame Young said, "you have just enough time to change into fresh clothes before dinner. Your guides will show you to the dormitory hall, and I'll leave your sleeping arrangements up to you." And with that, Madame Young turned and left the room.

Irene walked across the room and gave Jennie and Jisoo warm hugs. "How are you doing?" she asked. "How was your trip?"

"I've had better trips," Jisoo said, with a sidewise glance at Solar, "but I'm glad to be here now."

"Well, I'm glad to see you again," Irene said. She led them out of the hall and up a staircase to the dormitory wing. "Unless you object," Irene said as Jisoo and Jennie claimed their trunks from the pile of luggage, "I'd like for you to sleep in my room while you're here."

"Will you have room for both of us?" Jennie asked. "We can take another room, if that would be more comfortable for you."

"Follow me," Irene said. She led them into one of the rooms and the electric light. Jisoo gasped as this revealed the biggest bed she'd ever seen.

"I didn't even know they made beds this big!" Jisoo exclaimed.

"Madame Young discovered the joys of large beds while she was on a mission in America," Irene said. "It's one of the few luxuries she allows us."

"Oh, I don't know," Jennie said. "Electric light in your room. Your own fireplace. I'd say you've got it pretty good here."

"Well, yes," Irene admitted, "our dorms are rather nicer than what you're used to. It'll be more than made up for when we go to classes tomorrow - Madame Young is a much sterner taskmistress than Madame Park." Irene helped Jisoo into a fresh uniform, then turned to help Jennie, talking the whole time. "Unless you're too tired, I'll have Yeri join us here tonight." She smiled. "Being head girl comes with certain privileges, and with two head girls in one room. . ."

"I think that sounds great," Jennie said. She looked at Jisoo. "What do you think, plaything?"

Jisoo blushed - apparently Jennie's plan for tonight was for her and Irene to be the mistresses while Jisoo and Yeri were the playthings. "That sounds good," she said, suddenly shy, "but I'd also like a chance to have Yeri as my plaything for a night while we're here."

"I'm sure we can arrange that," Irene said as she planted a kiss on Jisoo's cheek. Just then a bell rang. "And now we'd better go line up for dinner - apparently some things are the same no matter what academy you're at."

 

 

Madame Young didn't join them for dinner that night. Consequently, the students spent the whole meal speculating as to what Madame Park's mission might be. They all agreed that it had something to do with the rising tensions between Korea and Japan, but beyond that they were of divided opinions as to where she had gone. Some of them insisted she was still in Korea, either in Seoul or in Inchon, while others were confident she had gone to Japan. Lisa clung to her theory that Madame Park had been sent to Siam, while Hwasa was of the opinion that Madame Park had gone to America. 

"Well," Irene said, "the only way we'll possibly learn anything is by following the news every day. I doubt she'll appear in the photographs, but maybe we'll read something in the stories that gives us a clue as to where she is. In the meantime, let's all adjourn to the drawing room."

Once they were in the drawing room, Irene sent one o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter