Jisoo has a surprise visitor

Madame Park's Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next few days passed uneventfully as Jisoo and Jin-Young waited for the response to the letter that Jisoo had seen on the day of Jin-Young's arrival. Jisoo had considered opening the guest bedroom to air it out, but decided she ought not trust Jin-Young that far.

"Until we hear back from Madame Park," Jisoo had said, "you'll sleep in my bed with me, as I'm afraid I couldn't safely let you sleep in the guest room, where I couldn't observe you."

Jin-Young had acquiesced to this condition readily enough, apparently feeling confident that Madame Park's letter would exonerate her. Either than, or she had some nefarious intent and felt she could best carry it out by being close to Jisoo. Either way, Jisoo didn't sleep well. She found herself waking up several times a night to ascertain that Jin-Young was in fact still in the bed and actually asleep. The resulting tiredness in her face and bags under her eyes ended up being to her advantage. When her acquaintances passed by to drop of care packages and to inquire as to her teacher's health, Jisoo was easily able to present the appearance of someone who was losing sleep in order to care for an invalid.

"You've developed quite a wide social circle for having been in Busan such a short time," Jin-Young remarked one day over lunch.

"I wish I could take all the credit for that," Jisoo said, "but it's largely a matter of circumstances. Navy wives are almost always friendly to each other, because they never know when they will be the new wife in a strange port and will need the support of the other wives. Plus, Mrs. Baek, the commodore's wife, has taken a liking to me and so has taken care to introduce me widely and apparently to speak quite well of me."

"I think you're selling yourself short," Jin-Young said. "Even given the circumstances, the fact that such an important person as the commodore's wife has been willing to exert herself so on your behalf speaks quite well of you."

Jisoo blushed, unsure how to respond to this. "I had good teachers," was all she could think of to say.

"That's sweet of you to say," Jin-Young said, "but even the best teacher can only work with what they're given. It was always a pleasure to have you in my class." Jin-Young fell silent as she finished her tea, looking out the window. Jisoo couldn't help noticing that her former teacher's s were visibly erect through her blouse. What was Jin-Young thinking of that had her excited like this? Finally, Jin-Young shook her head, as if bringing herself back to reality. "Well, if I'm not mistaken, it's my turn to do the dishes today. If you're finished eating, I could go ahead and get started."

Jisoo put her chopsticks down on her plate and pushed her plate toward Jin-Young. "I'm finished," she said. She found that she was enjoying having Jin-Young around and, not for the first time, she thought about how much she hoped that Madame Park's letter - which should arrive any day - would say that Jin-Young was indeed telling the truth and Jisoo should help her in getting set up in Busan.

Jisoo picked up her memorandum book off the sideboard and followed Jin-Young into the kitchen. She planned to do an inventory of the pantry and make a shopping list so she could send Suyeon to Mr. Kang's shop when the girl came back the next day.

Once Jin-Young had finished the dishes, Jisoo led her back into the parlor, dreading another afternoon of reading and backgammon. Normally this was a day that she would visited Chungha's shop to catch up on the neighborhood gossip. But obviously she couldn't bring Jin-Young with her after having put out the word that Jin-Young was ill, and she certainly couldn't leave Jin-Young alone in the house  - not only was Jin-Young supposed to be sick, there was also the fact that Jisoo couldn't leave her unwatched. No, there was nothing she could do but start rereading last month's fashionable novel and hope that Madame Park's letter arrived soon. Jisoo finally understood what novelists meant when they referred to "cabin fever" or "going stir-crazy." If she was with any of her schoolmates, or if a visit from Jin-Young was a normal situation, she could enjoy the knowledge that she could go out, even if she chose not to on any given day. But knowing that any excursion, however brief, was forbidden to her made the neighborhood outside the window seem far more attractive than Jisoo had ever found it before. She watched the young ladies walking home from the academy near the park. She wondered if a position teaching at the academy would be sufficient for Jin-Young's mission, or if Jisoo would be required to find her something of an altogether different nature. Jisoo hoped that Madame Park's letter, which it finally arrived, would contain some guidance as to what sort of situation Jisoo was to find for Jin-Young; however, thinking of Madame Park's letter reminded her that it could possibly instead contain instructions of a far darker nature. At best, she might be required to restrain Jin-Young until other agents could arrive to take possession of her; at worst - well, that didn't even bear thinking about. Finding her already dark mood darkening yet further, Jisoo endeavored to immerse herself in her novel, periodically looking up to see that Jin-Young was still occupied with yesterday's newspaper.

Jisoo had finally manage to get interested in the novel when there was a knock at the door. Startled, she jumped up. "You stay there," she said to Jin-Young. "I'll be right back." She crossed into the foyer, took a moment to compose herself. She wasn't expecting any tradesmen to call this afternoon, and it was too soon for Jennie to get, so it must be one of the other navy wives. Jisoo braced herself for another round of pleasantries and inquiries as to Jin-Young's health, then opened the front door.

When she saw Joy standing on her doorstep, she could not have been more surprised. For a moment she just stood and stared, taking in the unexpected sight of her friend. Finally, she recovered her voice and her manners. "Joy!" she exclaimed. "What a wonderful surprise! Do come in!"

Jisoo ushered Joy inside and began helping her out of her wrap. "What are you doing in Busan?" she asked. "Are you to live here? If so, we should practically be neighbors!"

"I'm afraid it's not quite such good news as that," Joy said, her face solemn. "Madame Young needed to send you a message, and it was quicker to send me than to send a letter, not to mention more secure."

Jisoo's eyes widened. "What could possibly be so urgent?" she asked. "Everything has been quiet here in Busan, and I haven't seen any reports in the news of problems in the capital."

"Oh, it's not that," Joy said quietly. "I'm afraid it's a problem much closer to home."

Jisoo took a step closer to Joy, quite confident that she knew the subject of Joy's message, but still hoping that she was mistaken.

"Hong Jin-Young was being transported from one facility to another when she managed to escape," Joy said. "We don't know what has become of her, and because of her knowledge of our codes, we didn't dare place one of the usual notices in the personals putting all ag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter