Jisoo settles in to her new life

Madame Park's Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Captain Lee hired a cab to take them to the Commodore's house, and even paid the driver extra so that he'd wait around and take them home after dinner. The commodore's doorman had escorted Jisoo and Captain Lee into the foyer, and then as a footman led them to the salon, she could hear the doorman tell the driver that if he went around to the kitchen, the cook would be sure to find him something to eat. The fact that the household had such thoughtful servants made her expect to like the commodore's wife, Mrs. Baek. Jisoo remembered Jin-young telling them that you can tell a lot about a person by the servants that they keep; Jisoo was finally having an opportunity to see that in practice. The footman announced them at the doorway to the salon, then bowed and made his way back to his post.

The commodore was a short, somewhat portly gentleman whose hair and sidewhiskers were completely grey. He greeted them with good humor and introduced his wife. Mrs. Baek was a willowy woman with hair such a lustrous black that it made the few grey strands in it stand out all the more. As the commodore engaged Captain Lee in conversation about his ship and the progress of the repairs, Mrs. Baek brought Jisoo to a chair by the fire and engaged her in conversation.

"So," Mrs. Baek said, "how do you find being a navy man's wife?"

"I like it quite well so far," Jisoo said, "but I've yet to experience my husband being at sea. You see, we've only been married a little over a week."

"A newlywed!" Mrs. Baek exclaimed, clasping her hands together. "How delightful! You must feel free to call on me if you need anything at all while your husband is at sea. And as soon as it can be managed, I'll throw a garden party so you can meet some of the other wives."

"That sounds quite lovely," Jisoo said. "I shall look forward to it."

Just then the butler came into the room and announced that dinner was ready whenever the party was ready to dine.

"Well, I've never known of a dinner that improved by sitting around waiting," the commodore said. He extended his arm to his wife. "Shall we head on in now?"

Mrs. Baek said that sounded fine to her and took the commodore's arm for him to her to the dining room.

The dining room featured red patterned wallpaper, an enormous crystal chandelier, and a table that could easily seat two dozen, with four chairs clustered at one end.

"More often than not, this table is full," Mrs. Baek said to Jisoo as they were being seated. "You'll need to be prepared to do a lot of entertaining, when your husband gets promoted."

The commodore heard the last of this remark and let out a hearty laugh. "Did you hear that, Lee? When you get promoted. It appears the Mrs. has already sized you and thinks you're bound for great things."

"I hope I sha'n't disappoint," Captain Lee said as he was seated.

Just then the waiter brought in a wide shallow dish of rice and seafood that Jisoo recognized as paella.

"Our chef was trained in the kitchen of the Spanish ambassador," Mrs. Baek said. "I'm afraid you'll find that selecting and retaining quality help will be one of the most difficult parts of your life. Have you hired all the servants you need?"

JIsoo told Mrs.Baek that right now she just was just looking for one part-timer to cook and clean for her. Mrs. Baek asked a number of insightful questions about what qualities she was looking for, after which she pronounced that Jisoo seemed fated to do an admirable job in her selection.

"The Mrs. is quite a good judge of character," the commodore said. "I won't promote a man to flag rank who doesn't have her approval." He punctuated this sentence by popping a shrimp into his mouth and chewing contentedly.

Mrs. Baek blushed under her husband's praise. "The commodore is exaggerating, of course," she said, "but I do find that my impressions of people are rarely wrong.

Jisoo said that this sounded like quite a useful skill.

"Take yourself, for example," Mrs. Baek said. "You say you come from a family without a naval tradition, yet you seem to be adapting quite well. I expect that you'll be quite a formidable hostess and that the other young captains and their wives will covet an invitation to dine at your table."

Jisoo thanked Mrs. Baek for this assessment and said that she would do her best to fulfill Mrs. Baek's prediction.

The remainder of the dinner conversation was equally as pleasant. The commodore and Mrs. Baek didn't try to pretend that there was no difference in rank between them and Captain Lee and Jisoo, but they displayed such noblesse oblige that one almost felt that the rank difference didn't matter.

Eventually, the commodore said "Well, I think it's time for the ladies to adjourn to the drawing room and Captain Lee, you shall come with me to my study for a cigar and a brandy." Turning to his wife, he added "We'll not keep you waiting too long. Feel free to order the coffee whenever you desire."

The drawing room turned out to be almost as large as the drawing room at the academy, and was furnished as tastefully as the rest of the house. One end of the room was dominated by the fireplace, with numerous comfortable chairs and gaming tables, while the other end featured a grand piano.

"Do you play?" Mrs. Baek asked, gesturing toward the piano.

"I'm afraid n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter