Jisoo embarks on her first mission

Madame Park's Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning at breakfast, Jennie and Jisoo both had trouble keeping their eyes open - apparently they'd stayed up later than they should the night before. When breakfast was coming to an end, Madame Park turned to Jennie and said "Take the others to the salle and start drills for scientific boxing. I need to talk to Jisoo for a moment."

Jisoo froze in her seat, afraid that Madame Park had noticed her nodding off over her breakfast and was going to chastise her. She didn't think she'd done anything worth a punishment, but a demerit might not be out of the question. When the others had left the room, Madame Park turned toward Jisoo, refilled their coffee cups, and smiled. Her smile was sly, predatory - it gave Jisoo a chill.

"Jisoo, my dear," Madame Park said, "what would you say if I offered you the opportunity to go out on a mission now?"

Jisoo gulped. "I'd ask if this was to be a long mission or just a short errand like Madame Young has had her students running."

Madame Park smiled at this response. "I like that your first thought wasn't to ask if the mission was dangerous. Any mission can be dangerous, if done incorrectly. But no, this would be a short mission. You should be back to us within a matter of days."

Jisoo nodded, taking this in. Apparently there actually was a mission, Madame Park wasn't just speaking to her in hypotheticals. "Then I would ask what the mission is."

Madame Park waved her hand dismissively. "It's rather a simple mission. I'm almost embarrased to send you on it, except that part of the mission is a little. . . delicate."

Jisoo nodded, not entirely sure what was expected of her at this point. Madame Park pulled a small envelope out of her reticule and handed it to Jisoo. The details of your mission are in there. You are to proceed to a certain bookshop in Seoul and give the owner the smaller envelope contained within that one. I've also included money sufficient for meals, for inns along the way, and to stay a night in a hotel in Seoul while you wait for Mr. Rhee to prepare my order. I've also enclosed a small amount extra so that you can choose a novel to read over the winter."

Jisoo picket up the envelope - carefully, as if it might bite her - and tucked it into her reticule. "I suppose my next question would be when I am to leave and how I am to get to Seoul."

Madame Park looked shocked. "Aren't you going to ask me what books you're to buy for me?"

Jisoo shook her head. "No ma'am. You said the order was in the small envelope. I'm guessing that these are books that someone might not approve of you owning, or else you would have ordered them through the post. That being the case, I'm better off if I don't know what you've ordered - it means there'd be no chance of giving away any of your secrets."

"That's exactly right," Madame Park said with a nod. "As for your last question, I've hired a coach to take you to your destination and to bring you back at the completion of your mission. The driver is waiting in front of the house. Go pack a spare uniform and sufficient toiletries and underthings for six days and be on your way as quickly as you can."

Jisoo stood up and curtsied. "Thank you for your trust in me, ma'am. I can assure you it's not misplaced." She turned and left the room to go pack. When she was almost to the door, she stopped and turned around. "Would there be a moment for me to say good-bye to some of my classmates before I leave?"

"I think not," Madame Park said. "You'll need to leave very soon if you're to get to the inn in time for dinner. Besides, it's time for you all to get used to the idea that any of you can be called on to leave at any time, with no warning."

Jisoo curtsied again and was on her way with a hastily murmured "Yes ma'am."

 

 

The first two days of travel were remarkable only for their sameness - driving by fields of rice and other crops, passing through the occasional small town, stopping at a small town inn for lunch and another for dinner and to stay the night. The third day, things began to get interesting, as they entered the outskirts of Seoul. At lunchtime, the driver pulled up in front of a building constructed in the European style. Climbing down from his seat, he said to Jisoo as he opened the door of the coach "Madame Park likes to eat lunch here when she comes to Seoul. I'm sure you'll find it to your liking."

Jisoo tentatively went i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter