Jisoo misjudges

Madame Park's Academy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, something was wrong with Jennie. Jisoo couldn't put her finger on it, but Jennie just didn't seem to be herself. She finally had a chance to talk to her about it when they were taking a walk in the rose garden between breakfast and morning classes.

"Jennie, what's wrong?" Jisoo asked.

Quickly - too quickly - Jennie replied "Nothing."

Jisoo raised an eyebrow and looked at Jennie as if to say "I don't believe you." Finally, Jennie broke down and started talking. "Okay," she said, "I'm frustrated. I'm upset that I'm no longer head girl. Normally, under these conditions, I'd set out to destroy whoever had been made head girl in my place, but I can't do that with you. But I'm certain that I could have accomplished that mission just as well as you did, only I wasn't given the chance."

Jisoo nodded, a knowing smile playing across . "In other words," she said, "this is the first time you've seen Madame Park's unfairness that it hasn't worked in your favor."

Jennie crinkled up her brow. "What do you mean, 'Madame Park's unfairness'?" 

Jisoo could tell that Jennie was about to spring to Madame Park's defense, and spoke quickly in order to head that off. "Take Moonbyul, for example. I've lost track of how many times she's asked us a question, Moonbyul has been the first with her hand up, and Madame Park has waited until someone else has raised their hand so she can call on that person."

Jennie's face relaxed. "Oh, that's just because she doesn't want to waste time listening to an incorrect answer from Mooncow," she said with a grin.

Jisoo shook her head. "But how do we know Moonbyul's answer is wrong if we don't even get to listen to it. No, there's something else going on here: If Madame Park though Moonbyul was a dense as you seem to think she does, Moonbyul would have been failed out by now. No, there's something else going on here, some other reason why she'd be unfair to Moonbyul, make her work twice as hard for half the rewards."

"That can't be," Jennie said. "Madame Park always rewards and punishes us as we deserve."

"Does she?" Jisoo asked, her eyebrows raised. "Let's conduct an experiment, then: Let Moonbyul beat you in scientific boxing today."

Jennie looked horrified at the idea. "But then Moonbyul will get moved up the rankings and I'll drop even further down."

"That would seem to be the case," Jisoo said. "And if Moonbyul is as incompetent as you suggest, you should have no problem regaining your position by beating her in some other class."

Jennie shook her head. "But how will that prove anything?"

Jisoo stopped and turned to face Jennie. "If Madame Park does anything other than advance Moonbyul in the ratings and move you down, you'll know she's being unfair."

Jennie nodded. "If this is what it takes to get you to stop spouting this nonsense about Madame Park, I'll do it."

Just then the bell rang, indicating it was time to head to the salle for scientific boxing class.

When they reached the salle, Jisoo rushed over to talk to Moonbyul before the start of class. "Before we get started on gwonbeop today, you need to challenge Jennie in scientific boxing."

Moonbyul looked confused. "Why on earth would I do that?"

Jisoo leaned closer. "I'm trying to make Jennie see that Madame Park is unfair."

Moonbyul shook her head. "Jennie will never admit to that."

"After you beat her in a match this morning, she will," Jisoo said. "She and I talked about it in the rose garden before class."

Moonbyul looked doubtful, but seeing Jisoo's confidence in the plan made her willing to give it a shot. When Madame Park walked in, Moonbyul raised her hand and said "I'd like to challenge Jennie in scientific boxing for a chance to move up in the class rankings."

Madame Park smiled and seemed like she was on the verge of laughing. "Are you serious, Moonbyul?"

Moonbyul nodded. "Yes ma'am. I've been practicing, and I think I can do it."

Madame Park thought for a moment. "So if you win, you'd move up to seventh rank and Jennie would move down to third?"

Moonbyul nodded again. "Yes ma'am."

After ascertaining that Jennie was willing to accept these terms, Madame Park turned back to Moonbyul. "And what if you lose?" she asked. "I can't move you any further down the rankings."

Moonbyul was silent, trying to think of something. She was just opening to speak when Solar spoke up. "If she loses, she'll get a punishment for wasting our time."

Madame Park thought this over for a second. She turned to Solar. "You do realize, of course," she said, "that as you are Moonbyul's roommate, if she gets a punishment, you'll get one too."

Solar looked at Moonbyul, then at Jennie. "I think she can do it. I'm willing to take the chance."

Madame Park turned back to Moonbyul. "And you? Are you willing to take the chance?"

Moonbyul looked quickly at Jisoo, who nodded. After looking nervous for a second, she said "Yes, I am."

"Okay then," Madame Park said. "Everybody form a ring."

As everyone moved into place, Solar whispered in Moonbyul's ear, apparently giving her some pointers from her past attempts to beat Jennie at scientific boxing. Jisoo whispered in Je

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter