Chapter 2 - Tzuyu

With a Smile

Tzuyu’s POV

7 AM

I woke up to the blaring sound of my alarm clock.

“Another day.”

I went downstairs, and as usual, I was greeted by my house helpers and Ms. Park. “Good morning Tzuyu. Please have your breakfast, so you can take your medicine.” I took my seat to the table and stared at the dishes prepared for me. I don’t know why they keep on making a big breakfast for a single person. “Ms. Park, please take a sit and eat with me. This is too much, please call the others too.”

The breakfast went on and I stopped eating after a few bites. I then asked Ms. Park for the medicine. “You should eat more, you know,” she said. I just gave her a nod and went upstairs.

I the television to kill some time before I take a shower. But I guess it's a wrong choice.

Mr. & Mrs. Chou was seen in a charity event last night.

The lovely couple was asked regarding their business plans for this year.

They also mentioned that their only child, Chou Tzuyu, might not join this year's National Archery competition.

“She's getting interested in other things right now. She's actually travelling. We'll be supportive on her decision.”

“Travelling huh.” I turned off the television and checked my phone for messages.

2 messages

Dr. Yoo

Chaeyoung

Dr. Yoo:

Ms. Tzuyu, please don’t forget our session this morning at 10 AM.

Chaeyoung:

Tzuyu, I’m going to States. I’m sorry. Be strong for me, okay? I love you.

Chaeyoung just left me. I'm all alone again. I threw away my phone and everything that's near me. It didn't even take a minute when I heard Ms. Park knocking frantically on my door.

“Tzuyu what’s happening??! Hey you, don't just stand there get me the key!”

“I'm not going to do anything Ms. Park. J-just just please leave me alone. You can monitor the CCTV if you want.”


10 AM

I am now here at the hospital for my therapy session. But honestly, I don't think I need this anymore. I'm aware of my state. I have depression. They know what's triggering my illness and definitely I know it too. That's basically the reason why I’m sneaking out right now. I don't want to do this, because they will never be able to give solution to the root cause of this whole thing. I will never be able to do it again.

 

Flashback

My mom asked me to go here at the café to meet someone. She told me to be nice and help that person with everything that I can do. I'm quietly enjoying my book when someone called me.

“Hey. That's my table.” I looked at this small girl sternly. I've been here for an hour so there's no way that it's her table.

“I don't think your name is written anywhere here at this table, kid.” I said. Then I went back with what I'm doing. However, I felt someone beside me. I looked at my side and there I saw the annoying kid.

“Yah!”

“What? I don't think your name is written anywhere here at this table." The kid said, obviously mocking me. I decided to ignore her and after a while of silence, “Hey giant nerd, do you mind if I drink this?” The kid said while pointing at my drink. “Well I'm too lazy to go there to ask for water. So, I'll just take this if you will not drink it anymore.” I looked at her with confusion. “Do whatever you want.” I told her.

“Psst. Giant nerd! I'm bored. Entertain me.” Wow. The audacity of this kid. “Excuse me midget. As you've said I'm a giant nerd. I am not a clown.” Then she laughed. She laughed really hard. Okay that's it. I'm leaving. “Hey hey hey. I'm just kidding giant nerd. I'm Chaeyoung. I'm waiting for someone. Don't go. I need company. Promise I won't bother you anymore.” She said with those cub eyes. I don't know what's gotten in me, but I returned to my seat. And true to her words, she never bothered me again.

“I'm leaving.” I told the midget and then she frowned. “I have an archery practice.” Shock is evident in the cub's face. “So you're an athlete. I guess I should go also, I think she ditched me.” We went out of the coffee shop and part ways. “Uhm.. I guess I'll go this way. I need to fetch a ride.” I just nodded and went on to the other direction. I then received a call from Mom.

Mom: Tzuyu! Where the hell are you???

Tzuyu: I’m heading to practice.

Mrs. Chou: I told you to go the café, right?!

Tzuyu: I did.. I..

Mrs. Chou: Then why the hell Chaeyoung texted me that she went home already because you ditched her?!

Tzuyu: I forgot to c-ch.. What? Who?!

Mrs. Chou: For God's sake Tzuyu! I told you so many times to check your phone regularly! She just came back and she's not that familiar here. Their family driver can't pick her up right now. Tzuyu you..

*Call ended*

Mrs. Chou: H-hello?? Tzuyu?? Ughh!

That's why it's weird that she went the other way, since the taxi bay is in this direction. Ugh! that stupid midget. I ran to the other direction to find her. Thanks to my athletic skills and her short legs, I was able to catch up easily. But there goes the cub being bothered by a drunkard. I approached them immediately.

Let go of her bastard!” I pushed the man hard which made him stumble. “Oh! Feisty. I like that." I ignored his nasty remark and immediately checked on Chaeyoung. She told me she's okay, but anyone can tell that she's scared. “Let's go.” We were about to go, but this man won't let us. He struts towards us. “Hey, a little fun with me won't hurt.” I motioned Chaeyoung to go behind me. I tried to shove him again, but he was able to dodge it. He then lunged himself towards the both of us. And the next thing I knew is that we're on the ground and there's a fast approaching car.


I went to my safe place – my hideout. Finally, I’m out of that empty four walls. But someone had decided to disrupt my “me” time. There’s a girl with blonde hair sitting at my spot. I approach her bravely with the mindset of claiming my spot. But oh my God Jihyo. The blonde girl’s aura is screaming sadness. I thought, maybe I should share my place.

I saw her looking below the cliff. And that’s how I was able to fit everything. She’s like me. She’s having a hard time. I observed for a few more minutes, until I’ve decided to go and talk to her.

Today is calm. It would be useless if you’re attempting to die.” I said. l took a seat beside her. I don’t know her, but I just want her to feel that she’s not alone. That I feel the same. I looked at the sunset. It’s beautiful yet sad. For me, sunset signifies an end. I’ve thought about it a lot. I usually ask myself if I should try seeing sunrise instead. Maybe I should try to live again. But then in the end, my heart would reach for the sunset.

I’m so lost with my thoughts that I didn’t notice her staring at me. I looked her way, and she just continued on staring. Then suddenly she said, “Yes it’s calm but I don’t think that would be a problem.” I looked at her confusedly.

“I don’t know how to swim. So, it would still work.” I was taken aback with her words. It seems that she has decided her path. I looked again at the sunset. And then like a movie, a series of flashbacks hits me. The time when I first won my medal, the time I met Chaeyoung, the accident, the moment when the doctor explained to me that I can’t play anymore, and the time when my parents decided to hide me.

“What’s your name?” I asked the blonde girl.

“Sana” She answered. Then, I reached out for her hand, and told her.

“Sana, do you want to die together?”


Sana’s POV

Saying that I was surprised is an understatement. I never expected her to say that. It’s not even a full ten minutes after we met. And now, she’s asking me to die with her? I guess I’m not surprised, but I’m actually touched by her words. So, I squeezed her hand to gain her attention. I then intertwined our fingers and I made a decision that I know I will never regret.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Let’s live together.”


Author's Note

I managed to finish this chapter! Phew! I'm busy with work and it's my first time writing here, so I think I can only update once a week. Also, thank you very much for those who subscribed this story!!!! It means a lot.

Just like before.. please don't hesitate to leave a comment/review for this chapter. 


Next Chapter

Tzuyu's reaction and Sana's explanation