Chapter 5 - Let Me

With a Smile

Day 1 - Afternoon

Tzuyu is now staring blankly at the microwave oven, waiting for the popcorn to be cooked. Sana on the other hand is making her way to surprise the giant. One hand reaching the giant’s shoulder and the other at the back, the squirrel was ready to launch her attack. “Ra- “Too much for being sneaky Sana.” Tzuyu said in monotone, while Sana freezes ..wr… Aww Tzuyu you’re no fun! I swear I didn’t even made a sound.” Sana said while pouting. “Oh yeah. But I can see you through here.” Tzuyu stated as a matter of fact while pointing at the oven’s reflection. Sana just gave her a glare. “Anyway, so what did you prepared?” Sana asked. “Popcorn. Do you want anything else?” Tzuyu said while pointing at the pantry. “Hmm. I want waffles! Do you have a mix here?” Sana said while rummaging. “I don’t know. Let me ask Ms. Park to cook it for us.”

“1 cup of water..okay.” *God Sana! There’s a measuring cup on your left. Use it!*

“Two eggs.” *1, 2, stop! That’s three already!*

“1/4 teaspoon salt.. Oh look Tzu.. I’m salt bae~” *Oh God, I’m out here Ms. Park*

“Let’s heat this up, Ms. Park! Huh? Where’s Tzuyu?” Ms. Park is trying to laugh silently. She wiped the tears in the corner of her eyes before answering the squirrel. “Maybe she went up to prepare the room?” The older said while snickering. “I see. Are you okay Ms. Park?” Sana asked innocently. “Yes. Yes. You’re so silly Sana.” Sana has no idea with what the older woman is saying so she just shrugged it off and continued showing her chef skills.


The two are now seated at the both ends of the couch, popcorn on the center (the waffle did not make it). They decided to watch “Up” as per Sana’s suggestion. Sana was easily engrossed and now crying at the death of Elie. Tzuyu on the other hand, was just silently watching accompanied with her stoic face. When the scene where Russell appeared on Carl’s front door came, Sana can’t contain herself. “He’s annoying.”  Tzuyu said, which made the squirrel stopped from squealing. “But why??” Sana sound so offended. “Mr. Fredricksen told him already that he doesn’t need help. But he kept on insisting.”  Tzuyu sounded so serious that it killed the mood. However, Sana just let her be and just continued watching.

The credits are now rolling. Sana is curious on Tzuyu’s thoughts regarding the whole movie. “So, is the kid still annoying?” Sana started the conversation. “Yes.” Tzuyu answered while turning off the television. “You know, it’s not that bad that Russell wanted to help. His intentions were good.” Sana argued. “Yeah, he wanted the merit badge.” Tzuyu countered. “Russell is a lonely kid. That of course is my hypothesis only. We can never be sure, but there’s a big possibility that he’s not in a good term with his parents. What if this Wilderness Explorer thing is just a coping mechanism for him?Sana leaned back to the couch for a more comfortable position. She’s ready to tackle this issue with the giant. Maybe, just maybe she’ll have a clue on what’s causing the sad look in the giant’s eyes. “Even without Russell, I believe the old man can still fulfill his dream.”

*What made you so cold, Tzuyu~ah* Sana thought. “It might be true. Maybe he’ll still reach the Paradise Falls without Russell and the others. But still, it wouldn’t hurt to have a new friend. To have someone while he’s struggling to get there.Sana said trying to get through Tzuyu. “On other note, maybe it’s the kid who needed and got help.” Sana continued murmuring the last part. The giant then faced her. “Are we still talking about the movie?”


The two are now having their dinner together with Ms. Park. Only the clanking sounds can be heard in the household. “What’s with this atmosphere? Did the two of them fight? They were fine earlier.” Ms. Park feels suffocated at that moment. “Thanks for the food Ms. Park, I’ll go upstairs. Have a good night. You too, Sana” Tzuyu awkwardly stepped out of the dining room. “Is there something wrong?” Ms. Park asked Sana. “Hmm. Nothing Ms. Park.” The older furrowed her eyebrows. ”Then why aren’t you eating like a squirrel?” Ms. Park said trying to cheer up the girl. “Really Ms. Park?” Sana tried to look sulky, but the older just laughed it off. “You can also go to your room now and rest.” Sana was on her way to her room but came back to ask something to Ms. Park.

 

“Do you think there’s anything that I can do for her?” Sana asked Ms. Park. Her eyes full of sincerity.

“I just want to make her feel better.” Ms. Park took Sana’s hand. She’s happy that her favorite kid got a good friend. So she said what she needed to say.

“That kid is a smart one. She can see through your actions. Tzuyu’s also independent, which made her somehow stubborn. Sana, you don’t need to fix her personal problems. She just needs you to be there for her – support her, while she works on it.”


Author's Note

Just a quick update. Thank you for subscribing!