Chapter 7 - Appreciation

With a Smile

Day 3

8 AM

Another breakfast in bed was prepared by Ms. Park. Steamed rice, miso soup, grilled fish, and various side dishes – a Japanese breakfast was served instead of their usual menu. Ms. Park was about to go upstairs to deliver the food to the intended owner when she bumped across a giant yoda. “Good morning Ms. Park, what’s up with this breakfast tray?” Tzuyu asked while examining the food.

“Oh I’m going to give this to Sana.” Ms. Park said while trying to pass the giant. However, the said giant blocked her way.

“Why though? Is she sick? I can give it to her instead. She did it for me yesterday.” Tzuyu said already grabbing the tray.

“Hep! No! No! No! She prepared your breakfast. And I prepared this, so I should be the one to serve this breakfast.” Ms. Park said while successfully passing, leaving the giant dumbfounded.

“That’s weird.” Tzuyu thought.

Ms. Park knocked on Sana’s door but no one’s responding.

“The squirrel is usually up at this hour. She must be really tired.”

Ms. Park tried to knock again using her foot. “Sana I made you breakfast.” The squirrel on the other side, walks towards the door with her eyes closed. Ms. Park barged in the room as soon as Sana opened the door. The older goes straight to the bed to put the heavy tray.

“Good morning Ms. Park.” Sana said in her sleepy state, still unaware of the breakfast.

“It smells yummy. Hmm. Wait. This scent is familiar.”

Sana slowly opened her eyes and was shocked to see a breakfast tray and on top of that a Japanese style breakfast.

“Here. I brought you these.” Ms. Park handed her two cold metal spoons and cucumber slices. Sana looked at the older confusedly. “Your eyes. You don’t want for Tzuyu to see it like that right?” Ms. Park told Sana in a caring tone.

“My eyes? Oh yes right. That’s why it’s weird. My eyes must be puffy from crying last ni- Wait.”

Sana looked at Ms. Park and found the older already nodding at her.

“She saw me last night.”

“Eat your breakfast. We’ll see you later downstairs.” Sana hugged the older to show her appreciation. Ms. Park whispered something before detaching herself from the hug. “Cheer up!” Sana gave the older an assuring smile in return.


“Hello Mr. Lee, kindly prepare everything that’s needed. We’re going to visit the place.

Also, secure that area. I don’t want it to be seen.”

Tzuyu hang up the phone and right in time Ms. Park came from Sana’s room. “Ms. Park kindly tell the others to prepare their stuff. We are going to that place today.” Tzuyu said with some hint of excitement.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“And oh Ms. Park! Before I forget, I prepared this. So, I should be the one to break this news to Sana, right?” Tzuyu said in a cheeky tone. Ms. Park just laughed at the giant’s silliness.


11 AM

The household is now busy placing their stuff in their respective vehicles. The staff will use the Red Hot Chevrolet Colorado while Tzuyu and Sana will ride the Sapphire Blue Porshe Panamera. “Hola a todos!” A pretty guy with big eyes and milky skin greeted. He gently grabbed Sana’s right hand to place a kiss. Hola Señorita. Mi nombre es Heechul.” Sana was confused on what’s happening, so she looked at the tall girl beside her, hoping that she’ll get some information. The yoda yanked off the pretty guy’s hand from Sana’s.  

“Yah! Why are you here?” Tzuyu blurted out, clearly not happy seeing the pretty guy.

“Aaaack! You meanie~ Ms. Park personally asked me to be your driver for today. She told me she’s afraid the pretty girl right here might get bored along the way.” Heechul said while caressing his hand, not forgetting to give Sana a wink. Tzuyu on the other hand was silently throwing daggers to Ms. Park, while Sana seems to be enjoying the sight of a cranky Yoda.

“Alright alright. Nice to meet you Heechul. Tzuyu let’s get in.” Sana took Tzuyu’s arm and caressed it for the tall girl to calm down. The squirrel then dragged the tall girl inside the car.

11:30 AM

For the first half of the ride, Sana was busy listening and laughing to Heechul’s antics. The said guy was busy getting to Tzuyu’s nerves. He would tell jokes and most of the time would sing along to the music being played.

“Come on Sana sing with me!

A akkaneun mot badaseo mianhae~” Heechul started.

“Chingureul mannaneura SHY SHY SHY.” Sana sang with enthusiasm.

“Mannagin jom geureoku mianhae. Jom itda yeollakhalge later.”

Zzoreujima eolma gaji anha~ Nico Nico Ni Oh Baby!”

Meanwhile, Tzuyu is looking out there in the window, smiling at the thought of Sana enjoying the trip.

”Ugh. I think I should thank Ms. Park and that crazy guy.”

Her thoughts were then disrupted when she felt a weight on her shoulder.

“Sana?”

“Hmm. I’ll just sleep for a bit Tzu. Heechul drained my energy. I need to recharge for later.” Sana said in a teasing tone, making sure that Heechul heard her.

“Okay. Heechul please calm down and lower down the volume. You may also want to change your playlist to something calming.” Heechul gave him an okay and zipped mouth sign.

12 PM

They are now about to reach their destination so Tzuyu decided to wake Sana up. “Sana. We’re almost there.” Tzuyu said while tapping the squirrel’s shoulder but the girl won’t budge. “Hey. Wake up.” This time, she tried tapping the squirrel’s cheeks instead. The tall girl saw some movement, so she did her ultimate move. Tzuyu squished both of Sana’s cheek multiple times using her one hand. “Sa~na~ wa~ke uuuuupppppp.”

Truthfully, Sana was already awake the whole time. Her sleep is not that deep so she’s somehow aware of her surroundings. He actually heard when Heechul told Tzuyu that they’re near. She finds it cute how awkward the tall girl was, trying to wake her up. But she didn’t expect the girl to squish her cheeks like a baby. “I’m up. I’m up.” Sana said holding her cheeks while glaring at Tzuyu.

“We’re here.” Sana looked at the window and was in awe when she saw a grassland or is it a farm? She doesn’t care actually. With the cows all over the land, it definitely looked like a little New Zealand for her. On the other side of the road, she can see a large pond and greenhouses.

“Tzuyu, where the hell are we? What are we doing here?” Tzuyu missed out Sana’s facial expression so she thought the squirrel didn’t like it.

“I-I thought y-you would like to breathe some fresh air? Because y-you’ve been stuck in the city and y-you’ve been busy and i-it’s a holiday.” Sana placed her hand on the girl’s cheek to stop it from rambling.

“Hey why are you panicking? Don’t worry. I liked it. I’m actually excited! Step on the gas Heechul!!!!!!”

Sana’s POV

“Bienvenido a la mansión señorita!” Heechul said after opening the car door for me.

“Whoa. This house is hella big and a bit out of place or not?” I can’t keep my mouth closed with the sight of the house. It’s a modern-style house. I’m not actually sure if the design fits the nature concept but nonetheless, I like it. It looks like a big duplex. Heechul said that the house on the right is for entertainment. There’s a home theater, game room, and even a recording studio. I asked Heechul why the hell Tzuyu has a recording studio, and he answered that Tzuyu’s friend likes to compose songs, so she built one since they often stay here.  There’s something about Heechul’s tone while saying that but I decided to shrug it off.

All of us, will be sleeping in the left house. My room is on the third floor next to Tzuyu’s, while the others will stay at the second floor except for Heechul, he said he’ll be playing all night long, so he would just stay at the game room. Heechul decided to give me some time to settle my things in the room. I’m currently unpacking my stuff when someone knocked at the door.

“Come in.”

It was Tzuyu. I gestured her to come in the room. She came to tell me to change into comfortable clothes since we will visit the farm after lunch.

“You can unpack later. Just dress comfortably first and head downstairs. You must be hungry already. Mr. Lee already prepared our lunch.”

I dressed up quickly, so the others won’t wait for long, and went downstairs.

Tzuyu’s POV

The lunch was delicious as expected. I saw that Sana just finished her dessert, so I’m silently waiting for 5 minutes to pass before I ask her to go and proceed with our activities. Meanwhile, I can see that everyone is enjoying the mood, especially this crazy annoying guy in front of me who wouldn’t stop pestering Sana. Anyway, it seems that the squirrel is enjoying his company. Who am I to interrupt their budding friendship.

4 minutes… 50 seconds.

55 seconds

56

57

58

59

“Sana, should we go now? We can just walk if you want so you can enjoy the scenery.”

“Ooooh~ excelente idea! I’ll just get my hat!” Heechul interrupted.

“This crazy guy won’t really leave us- I mean Sana alone huh.”

“Heechul just stay here. Mr. Lee needs your help. Right Mr. Lee?”

“Yes. That’s right Ms. Park! Come on Mr. Lee get the hint!!!!”

“O-oh yes. I-I need your help! We need to fix something.”

“Gotcha! Goodbye Heechul.”

Author’s POV

The walk to the greenhouses was comfortably silent. Tzuyu just let Sana enjoyed the scenery. They would stop sometimes for Sana to take some pictures of herself, the sky, etc. She would also try to get some shots of Tzuyu but the tall girl won’t allow her. The squirrel though succeeded with few shots of Tzuyu’s back view. That’s the best she can get for now.

Tzuyu led Sana to the first greenhouse which consists of tomatoes and chili peppers. Tzuyu picked one for Sana to taste it, but the squirrel rejected it, telling her that she’s not fond of tomatoes.

“It’s a cherry tomato though. And it’s organic. Just try it.” Tzuyu tried to convince Sana.

Sana ate it hesitantly but managed to finish it. She said she can actually tolerate this since it’s small and crunchy. They started to pick out tomatoes to fill in their mini buckets. Sana put a tomato in each of her cheeks and called for Tzuyu’s attention.

“Look at me Tzu.” Sana looked like a legit squirrel which made Tzuyu burst out laughing. The tall girl asked Sana to give her phone. Tzuyu then took a photo of the squirrel that would surely go down in history.

The second greenhouse consists of cucumbers and sweet peppers. Sana took photos of the cucumbers and sent it again to her friend Momo, who seriously hates it. Tzuyu on the other hand, picked a good amount of sweet pepper as requested by Ms. Park.

The third greenhouse is for strawberries. Sana immediately asked Tzuyu if she can try some, which of course was granted quickly.

“Whdg ish dergh a showlo gweenhash fwo deez?” Sana asked Tzuyu with full of strawberries.

“Maybe you should finish your strawberries first, so I can understand you.” Tzuyu said while wiping the juices at the side of Sana’s mouth and at her chin. The gesture seemed so natural that Sana couldn’t process it and just continued munching her fresh strawberries.

“We can actually go there at the side and make some strawberry juice. Actually, we can also make a jam but I’m afraid our skills are not enough for that, especially yours.” Tzuyu, the savage yoda said, which earned her a slap on her shoulder.

“Aaack! That hurts! I’m wearing sleeveless!” Tzuyu said while rubbing her shoulder to ease the pain.

“Serves you right!” Sana said while stomping her way to the mini kitchen area.

“How do you use this Tzuyu?” Sana said trying to figure out the fruit juicer.

“Oh I know how but my right shoulder hurts so much I can barely move it. I don’t think we can make your juice anymore. Sorry Sana.”  Tzuyu said in the most sarcastic annoying tone possible. But suddenly, Sana approached her putting both of her hands in Tzuyu’s shoulder. The squirrel looked directly at the giant yoda’s eyes, slowly closing the gap between them.

“W-what a-are y-you doing?” Tzuyu asked, trying to look anywhere but Sana. The squirrel ultimately closed their gap and whispered something to the taller.

“Do you want me to hit your other shoulder?” Sana then pushed Tzuyu away.

“Fine fine! I-I’ll make your juice. J-just sit there.” Tzuyu hurriedly the machine.

“You’re too weak Tzu.” She turned her back to the taller girl trying to contain her smile.

“Anyway, as I was asking earlier, why is there a solo greenhouse for this?” Sana observed that Tzuyu stiffened upon the asking the question. She thought that she might have opened a sensitive topic to the girl.

“Ahm Tzuyu? You don’t need to-“

“It’s for my friend. She likes strawberries to the point that we call her ‘strawberry princess’ here at the mansion.” Tzuyu then finished making their strawberry juice and handed one to Sana. The squirrel motioned Tzuyu to sit beside her.

“The same friend you built the recording studio for?” Sana asked then proceeds to drink her juice and gave Tzuyu a thumbs up since it tastes good.

“I should really teach that crazy guy how to shut his mouth.”

“Heechul probably told you. Yes. Same friend.” Tzuyu said looking far away. Sana felt the sour mood. So, she tried changing the topic.

“So, what’s our next activity?” Sana stood up and started lifting her buckets.

“You can leave those buckets here Sana. Someone will just pick them up from here. For our next activity, we’re going to see my lovely cows.” Tzuyu looked like a proud mom and Sana just wanted to pinch her cheeks.

“Sana I want you to meet my lovely cows, Remi, Charlotte, and Heidi. They’re the best milk producers here.” Sana finds Tzuyu funny since the tall girl is currently petting the cows.

“She treats them like dogs.”

“Come here Sana, I’m going to teach how to milk them.” Tzuyu said while getting the stool, bucket and gloves.

“W-what? You want me to milk them?” Sana is clearly not ready for this. She saw it on TV but she never wanted to try it.

“Yes! Don’t worry it’s safe and easy.” Tzuyu reassures Sana.

Tzuyu asked Sana to wash her hands first, while she gives massage and cleans the cow’s udder. When Sana came back Tzuyu put the gloves on her. She then positioned Sana’s thumb and forefinger to the cow’s teat. Tzuyu asked Sana to curl her fingers around the teat and squeezed it downward. Sana tried it for a few times, however, no milk would come out.

“Tzuyu I think your cow is not ready or she’s done for the day! There’s no milk coming out!” Sana told the giant frustratingly.

“It has a name. It’s Remi. Maybe you should try to befriend her, so she would give you milk.” Sana looked at Tzuyu ridiculously. She thought that Tzuyu must think she’s stupid or something.

“Seriously Tzu?! As if you can fool me with your antics.”

“I’m serious. Look.” Tzuyu approached the cow’s face.

“Remi baby just a little milk would do. Maybe a glass of milk for the two of us before we sleep?” Tzuyu then positioned her hand to the teat and squeezed it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And then the milk did come out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I told you so, Sana. Now, strike a conversation.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Uhm.. Hello Remi.”

 

 

Tzuyu is now grinning from ear to ear. She can’t believe that Sana would actually fall for it. Sana wasn't just applying enough force so there’s no milk coming out. She just let the squirrel finished her ‘conversation’ with Remi.

“I’m done.” Sana announced innocently.

“Okay. Let me guide you again.” Tzuyu grabbed Sana’s hand and positioned it to the teat. However, this time she placed her own hand on top of Sana's, so she can help the girl squeezed it with more force.

“We’re going to squeeze it in 3-2-1. Squeeeeze~” And there you go. Sana successfully milked Remi.

“Oh! the conversation worked!” Sana said excitedly.

“Hmm. Good job.” Tzuyu said while grinning. Sana then flashed a smile at Tzuyu but they end up turning at the same time. Their faces were too closed, bodies actually pressed at each other and Tzuyu’s hand is still grabbing Sana’s. It isn’t the first time that Sana had a good look at Tzuyu’s eyes. However, this time, instead of those pure sad eyes, Tzuyu’s eyes now has a glint of bliss. The two was lost in each other’s eyes for a while.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Moo~~~~~~~ Remi said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Let’s finish up. I’ll call Mr. Lee to pick us up here.”


8 PM

The whole household is now gathered in the backyard enjoying the barbecue party prepared by Mr. Lee, with the assistance of Heechul, as requested by Tzuyu. Alcoholic beverages were also served so everyone’s really hyped at this party. Heechul, the moodmaker, is at the corner grilling, and of course singing.

Heechul: Uri sarangeun

Heechul, House helpers, Sana: BULJANGNAN!

House helpers: OH OH OH OH.

Sana: MY LOVE IS ON FIRE~

House helpers: (ooh)

Heechul: NOW BURN BABY BURN

Heechul, House helpers, Sana: BULJANGNAN

House helpers: OH OH OH OH.

Sana: MY LOVE IS ON FIRE~

House helpers: (ooh)

Heechul: SO DON’T PLAY WITH ME BOY

Heechul, House helpers, Sana: BULJANGNAN!”

Tzuyu is at the corner watching the others get wild. She’s satisfied looking at her staff and Sana having fun. It made this trip worth it. Ms. Park then approached her, and Tzuyu moved aside to give the older a space.

“So… Sana.”

“What about her?”

“Exactly. What about her Tzuyu?” Tzuyu turned to the older.

“You did this for her right?” Tzuyu laid to her back and looked at the sky.

“Hmm. She’s trying Ms. Park. You know me, I’m not dense and I’m smart.” Silence took over the two for a good minute.

“I like her.” Tzuyu sits up and looked at Sana.

“Yeah me too.” Ms. Park turned to Tzuyu and gasped. Tzuyu just rolled her eyes.

“You know it’s not like that.” Ms. Park grinned at the giant and ruffled her hair.

“I know kid. Just trying my luck.”

“So you mean you like her for me?” Ms. Park nods in approval.

“You met her for like what?? Three days?!

“Hahaha. I don’t know either. But she’s giving me good vibes.”

“We’ll never know when it will last Ms. Park.”

Ms. Park stood up and asked the others to start cleaning up. Tzuyu then took the chance to ask Sana to come with her somewhere.

Tzuyu took Sana at the balcony of her room. It’s actually a good spot for star gazing.

“How’s today for you?” Tzuyu asked while they suit themselves on the lounge chair.

“Great! I actually wanted to thank you Tzuyu. It’s been a while since I felt this kind of freedom.” Tzuyu smiled to Sana. She’s relieved that the squirrel enjoyed this short get-away.

“I did not expect you to be this rich. Do you actually own this whole mansion?” Sana asked.

“Aha. My first investment.”

“So are you one of those rich kids who has lots of money but has issues with their family?” Sana actually hated herself for asking that. She blames the alcohol for the guts. She’s wishing that Tzuyu won’t find her statement intruding.

“Well you can put it that way.” Sana sighed internally. She took the chance to get a deep conversation with Tzuyu. On the other hand, Tzuyu was actually grateful that Sana took the initiative to ask a personal question. It’s the reason why she brought the girl here. She wanted to give Sana a chance to get to know her.

“Why? Are they forcing you to take over their business? Or should I say businesses?

“I don’t have plans on taking over, but they don’t mind actually.”

“Hmm.. they want you to marry a certain guy?

“They did want me to marry someone. But-”

”No…” Tzuyu hesitated for a second.

“Hmm. She hesitated. Wait. Maybe she’s-“

“Because you like girls?”

“It’s related with marriage but it’s complicated”

“It’s not like that.” Sana doesn’t want Tzuyu to become uncomfortable, so she tried to shift the focus.

“I can’t think of any specific reason, but I think bottom line, you did something big and they’re probably disappointed with that.”

“Yes. They’re very disappointed that they practically disowned me.”

“Disowned?!” Sana was shocked with this new information. She did not miss the anger and discontent in Tzuyu’s tone.

“Well they brought me here because they wanted to hide me. That’s essentially disowning me, right?”

“Hide her? Why would they want to hide Tzuyu? What did she actually do? So that’s the reason why she rarely gets out of her house? And that explains the mask and the reluctance to take photos? Because she knows I’ll post it online. I don’t think she did something horrendous like she’s a criminal or something.”

“It’s not like there’s a big difference though. I rarely see them ever since. Maybe the only downside of this setup is that I can not go freely now. But then again, I rarely go out, so I guess it’s not too difficult to adjust with this lifestyle.

“I haven’t gotten the whole picture of this, but I might say I didn’t expect you to have this kind of family problem. Is this the reason why you are so cold then?” Sana is really pushing her luck right now.

“Honestly, I don’t know how you get that impression. Let me remind you that I invited you to eat with me not even an hour after we’ve met. I even hugged you. And lastly, I brought you home that same day.” Tzuyu said slightly annoyed.

“Touché” Sana said while pointing her fingers to Tzuyu in a gun position. Tzuyu then leaned on her side to properly look at Sana.

“I’m a good friend, you know. It’s just that I’m not good at making friends, if that makes sense.” Tzuyu got confused with her statement at the end so she ends up giggling.

“I think I got your point.” Sana is now also leaning to her side facing the other girl.

“And I think you already proved it to me. You brought me here in your mansion for me to relax, and you actually opened up to me.” The two exchanged smiles and leaned back. Silence took over. They continued to appreciate the night sky for quite a long time. Sana then decided to stand up since she’s already sleepy. Tzuyu offered to accompany the squirrel to her room.

“Good night.” Sana said before entering her room.

“Hmm. Sleep tight.” Tzuyu wanted to say something more but the words won’t come out. So she let Sana to enter her room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*knock knock knock*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Thank you Sana. I know that you’re also trying to become you know, a good friend. I can see that, and I really appreciate it. It’s just that I’m not sure of this whole thing yet. As much as possible I don’t want to get involved with people. I don’t want to invest myself to something temporary. Because I don’t think I can handle losing something or someone again at this moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sana gave Tzuyu a big hug.

 

 

“Okay Tzuyu. Thanks for telling me.


Author's Note

So there you go!

1. Ms. Park actually saw Sana last night but we still don't have an idea what actually happened.

2. Tzuyu is hella rich. The mansion is her idea, design, etc. All expenses were also paid by her (not her parents). She's also hiding something in that place (re: initial conversation with Mr. Lee)

3. Heechul is crazy funny guy (annoying for Tzu) who always sticks to Sana.

4. Tzuyu has a friend who practically owns the recording studio and the strawberry greenhouse. Well, this is obvious.

5. Remi can produce milk.

6. Ms. Park likes Sana (hmm.)

7. Sana now knows 1 out of 3 of Tzuyu's stories.

Next Chapter

Day 4 (Last Day of Sana's Stay in Tzuyu's house)