A Long Night (Chapter 4)

Winter, go away !
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"wehkk..."

 

Chorong entered the toilet only to see Hayoung throw up. She kneeled next to her maknae and patted her back, while holding to her hair. The rest of the members hurriedly came to the toilet after hearing Hayoung's vomitting sound. "let it all out.." said Chorong. 

 

Seeing how Hayoung has stopped throwing up, Chorong take off her clothes that was tainted with some vomit and help her to wash up, again. "Someone, please get her towel and new pair of pyjamas, please..."

 

.....................

 

After throwing up, Hayoung's energy goes down to the drain. Not active like before. She rested her head on Chorong's neck while being hugged. Hayoung hated being sick the most, she can't go out, she can't even play games, but Chorong's warm treatment makes her feel loved, so sometimes she did actually feels glad to be sick.

 

Chorong : "should we let her take the pills again, guys?"

Eunji : "it were thrown too?"

Chorong : "yeah.."

Bomi : "do you want me to call the hospital and ask? the number's on the meds package."

Chorong : "yeah, please.." *she look at her maknae with a sad expression, she thought to herself, is this what the doctor meant by 'crucial night' or it simply happened by accident.

 

 

Bomi : "unnie, they said it's okay to take the pills again, if you are confirmed that she did threw it up"

Chorong : "okay, thanks Bomi.."

Eunji : "I'll go get those meds..."

Chorong : "the thermometer too, Eunji-yaa"

 

....................

 

Chorong : "103'F, it went up by one"

Eunji : "it's not passed the warning temperature, right?"

Bomi : "the warning temp is above 105'F, so yeah.."

Naeun : "unnie, someone have to carry Namjoo to bed" *pointing at the sleeping on the couch*

Eunji : "yup, I guess that will be me..hahahahaha" 

Bomi : "I'll make her bed"

Chorong smiled proudly looking at her thoughtful sisters, they did not even argue to have each other to help each other, they just simply carry out their duty as the sisters in the 'family'. "Naeun-ah, I'm sleeping with Hayoung in my room, tonight. Are you okay sleeping alone?"

Eunji : "sleep with me, Naeun-ah..." said Eunji as she lift Namjoo up.

Naeun : "okay then.. goodnight unnie, goodnight Hayoungie"

Chorong : "Goodnight Naeun-ah. I guess we should go to bed too, Hayoung-ah.."

Hayoung : "I'm not sleepy yet.."

Chorong : "you are right, that's why you keep yawning since a few minutes ago, didn't you?"

Hayoung : "you got me, hehe"

 

...........................

 

Naeun : "unnie, is Hayoung's gonna be okay?"

Eunji : "you heard what Bomi and unnie said earlier, I'm sure she's gonna be fine"

Naeun : "but I searched about this dengue fever on the internet, and you see how pale Hayoung's face is, I can't.. I just-"

Eunji : "Naeun-ah, sometimes internet is right, but sometimes it is not. That's why when we are sick, we go to the doctor, not consult with the people online."

Naeun : "did I mentioned that this type of fever can lead to dea--"

Eunji : "no! don't finished your words. *let out a heavy sigh* Naeun-ah, I'm sorry I keep cutting you off, but actually, I searched about it too, I mean, how can I not? when I've never heard of such illness, and I'm sure, Bomi, and Chorong unnie did the same thing too. But as for now, let's just be positive, okay?"

Naeun : "I'm sorry unnie, I'm just... worried.."

Eunji : "we all are, Naeun-ah.. we all are.." *Hug Naeun and pull the blanket

 

Bomi who's already in her tent on the top bunk, could not unhear the conversation, just like a sudden rain pour in the middle of summer, Bomi cried her heart silently. In her head, she cussed the doctor for being so calm and keep telling them to not to worry about it, and yes, Eunji was right, on their way back home from the hospital, she did look for some information online regarding the illness. She tried to act toughs for the sake of both her unnie and Hayoung.

 

Naeun : "but... unnie..."

Eunji : "yeah?"

Naeun : "Namjoo still have no idea about this..."

Eunji : "let's not tell her, she's too naive.. and you know what's unbelievable?"

Naeun : "what?"

Eunji : "Chorong unnie said, maybe even Hayoung doesn't know about this, she was playing games at that time.."

Naeun : "really? no way!"

Eunji : "hahahaaa, I'm said MAYBE. You know how absorbed Hayoung can be when it comes to games.."

Naeun : "hahahahaha"

 

Eunji never showed her worried, but inside, she wants to change her shoes with Hayoung. She was with Chorong last night, taking care of Hayoung. She saw how sick Hayoung was, and that was only on the first night of the sickness. Who knows what's gonna happen tonight, but she hope after taking her medicines, Hayoung will be better than yesterday's night. She hugged Naeun, not to ease the younger girl's worried, but her own. Somehow she felt like hugging Naeun can give her strength.

 

.........................

 

Chorong : "are you okay? why are you crying?" 

Chorong asked, as she could see Hayoung's got teary.

Hayoung : "I'm not, my eyes hurt"

Chorong : "is it hot? like last night?"

Hayoung : "yeah, but it also feels like I'm being punched right in the eyes"

Chorong : "try not look at the night stand.."

Hayoung : "..........."

Chorong : "close you eyes, sleep.."

Hayoung : "what if I have a nightmare again?"

Chorong : "and I'll be there for you.. don't worry, just try to sleep, okay?"

Hayoung : "unnie, I just remember it, I left my bag at school !"

Chorong : "emm? you just remember it now? hahahaaa.. your Namjoo unnie brought it home with her yesteday."

Hayoung : "really?"

 

and Chorong kept answering Hayoung's random questions until the kid finally got tired and fall asleep. Somehow she suddenly became talkative again, after went 'mute' after throwing up that evening. Chorong was quite glad that Hayoung talked a lot, thinking that the meds she took has been doing its work. "get well soon, Hayoung-ah"

 

.........................

 

"what a brat! you think you can get away before I taste you??? hahahhaa!!!" the man's laugh echoed through the dark alley in the middle of the night.

"why are you doing this to me??!" asked the girl in a yellow school uniform. She looks so scared.

A group of men circled around her. She could do nothing but screaming and begging for forgiveness for some mistakes she did not commit.

From her view of point, she can see the group of men holding weapons such as baseball bat, hammer, and even knife! The man who yelled at her earlier do not have anything on him, yet he is the one she scared the most. The man kick and punch her in the face a few times before trying to undress her, accompanied by laughters from the other men. "HELP ME!!!" She screamed again and again but no one came to her rescue, until she heard a voice calling for name.

 

.............................

Chorong was awoken by a punch from the person sleeping next to her, Almost got pushed off from her own bed. At that time, she knew that she won't be sleeping until the next few hours. She had prepared her mind and emotion to face this 'rampage' from Hayoung once again, before went to sleep earlier. She patted her hopping that she would stop wiggling. "Go away", "no", "help", and few other words have been coming out from Hayoung's mouth since yesterday during her sleep. Soft and mumbling was still okay to Chorong, but once when kid started to shout "HELP ME!" loudly and clearly, Chorong became wide awake. She sat down and switched on the night stand. Before she could do anything, she received another punched from Hayoung. She ignored the pain, and tried to wake her sister up, but she kept fighting and thrashing violently. The air became her 'punching bag'. Chorong tapped lightly on her cheek and called her name multiple times, seeing how her effort to wake Hayoung up to be meaningless, Chorong got up and switched on the ceiling light, hoping that the sudden brightness would wake her up. Despite that, Hayoung's night terror did not seem to get any better.

 

When Chorong sat down again, she saw cold sweats on Hayoung's forehead as if the youngest just took a bath. She wiped Hayoung's forehead with her sleeve. Can't bear watching the state her little sister's in, she shook her heavily while calling out her name, only then Hayoung stopped thrashing and yelling, but this time, the illness send another agent to bother Hayoung. 'Coughing' has arrived, bringing 'heavy breathing' along with it, making Hayoung opened her eyes. "hey? are you awake?" asked Chorong, confused at Hayoung's sudden action. But Hayoung closed her eyes again, as if nothing happened. Chorong thought that everything's over, so she got up to switch off the light, only to get surprised by Hayoung's sudden screamed. She hurriedly went over her sister who started to bawl lustily with her arms pushing all the pillows and stuffed animals. Chorong pulled Hayoung into her arms and her head gently, mumbling "it's okay" continuously.

 

"unnie.." a voice from behind startled Chorong. Bomi and the others came after hearing Hayoung's screamed. She glanced at them once and continued focusing on Hayoung. The little girl looks so pitiful with cold sweat and pale face. Coughing and sobbing took turns and certainly did not make her condition looks any better than before. Chorong turned her head and looked at Naeun, "Naeun-ah, can you take the syrup in fridge? and the thermometer too?". "sure, a minute.". 

 

Namjoo hold on to Eunji's arm and asked "Eunji unnie, is she very sick?". "I... I don't... yeah.. I think so, Namjoo-yah.." the older girl hesitated to answer her question as she knows how Namjoo can be very soft-hearte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter