Too Short (Chapter 2)

Winter, go away !
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as putting Hayoung under the blanket at the sick bay, Namjoo took out her phone and Chorong to pick Hayoung up, she knew that her unnie will be worried if she said that Hayoung is really sick, so she just told her that the poor girl just have a headache. After less than an hour, Namjoo received a call from Chorong, stating that she is already at the school compound. "Chorong unnie is here, I'm going to her, you wait here, okay? I promise you, I'll be back fast.." she smiled at Hayoung. The little girl blinked her eyes, to tell her unnie that she will be okay. Namjoo once again felt heavy to leave her alone, her sister can't even say 'yes' or 'no'. It proved that she was really tired to the point that opening is such hard a task to do. Before leaving, Namjoo fixed the blanket that wrapped around Hayoung.

 

(Outside the school building)

 

"Unnie, here..!" Namjoo called Chorong when she saw her at the parking lot. Chorong waved and hurriedly went to Namjoo. "where's your sister?" asked her. "ummm actually, I lied to you..unnie.." said Namjoo, while still looking at Chorong's face.

 

"what do you mean?" 

"well, Hayoung is not having a headache.."

"so, why did you called me?" Chorong raised her eyebrows.

"she caught a fever, and I think her body temperature is quite high............she cried"

"what? why didn't you just tell me the first time you called, then?" Chorong slightly raised her voice, not scolding Namjoo, but worried about the maknae.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lie, but I don't want you to be worried about her, and speep your car to get here.. sorry" this time, she avoid making eye contact with Chorong.

"you did great.. thanks for worrying about me..." she smiled and put her hand on Namjoo's shoulder. Namjoo looked at her and smiled back.

"let's go, unnie, she's alone in the sick bay"

 

(In the Sick Bay)

 

Hayoung stared at the door, while lying down on bed, waiting for her unnie to come. While waiting, she tried to ease her mind by singing in her mind. Before she could finished the song, suddenly she cried, not because she's scared of being alone in the bay, nor because she is sick, even she, herself did not know why she was crying.

 

The door opened and she saw the exact two persons who she was waiting for.

 

"Hayoung-ah...." Chorong called the girl, and was surprised to see tears on her face.

"unnie..."

"why are you crying?" asked Chorong and sit down on the bed, while Namjoo was standing there, again, feeling helpless because she can't do anything to heal her sister. Chorong wiped Hayoung's wet face with a handkerchief handed by Namjoo. "it's okay maknae-yah... I'm here, don't cry.." she used the back of her hand to feel Hayoung's temperature, indeed, Namjoo was right about her temperature being quite high. Letting out a loud sigh, Chorong asked Hayoung , "when did you feel sick? this morning? or last night?? why didn't tell me right away?.............maknae-yah???"

 

Hayoung didn't answer the question, instead, she raised her head and put it on her unnie's lap, facing the older girl's stomach. Chorong caressed her hair, she knew that it will be useless to ask the kid any further question in her state she is in, right now. Both Namjoo and Chorong can still hear Hayoung's sobbing, even though she has stopped crying.

 

"unnie, I'll go and ask permission for Hayoung to go home, from Hayoung's homeroom teacher..." said Namjoo.

"huh? should not I be the one who go? I'm the guardian..."

"I know, but Hayoung needs you now.. I'll make it work.."

"if you say so... then,... just give me a call if didn't work, I'll talk to the teacher..."

 

Chorong watched as Namjoo leaves. After that. she looked at her maknae, and noticed that the girl is actually sleeping on her lap. She chuckled a little bit and kind of relieved when she realized that Hayoung can finally escaped from the illness for a little while through sleep. For a few minutes, they stayed that way, waiting for Namjoo. The older girl keep patting on her sister's back, until Namjoo come and told Chorong that Hayoung's teacher gave them the permission to take Hayoung home. She patted Hayoung's back, slightly harder than before, but this time not to keep the girl from being comfortable, but to wake her up. 

 

"hey... are you okay? let's go home now. Namjoo has got your teacher's permission." 

"home..." Hayoung smile weakly, hearing the word 'home'.

"can you walk?" Chorong asked.

Hayoung nodded, while getting up from lying down.

Namjoo smiled, finally feeling better knowing that her sister can now, go home and have a good rest there. She helped putting on Hayoung's shoes. "Thank you.." said Hayoung. Chorong proudly smiling, looking at the lovely scene of the two maknaes. She thought to herself that, she raised them well...

 

(At the Parking Lot)

 

"see you at home, Hayoung-ah...." said Namjoo when closing the passenger door of Chorong's car. Hayoung smiled without a word.

"see you at home, Namjoo-yah.. Eunji will pick you up today, right?" asked Chorong as she put on seatbelt on Hayoung, then laid back Hayoung's seat, so that she can sleep well, on their way back home.

"I don't know, unnie, maybe Eunji unnie, maybe Bomi unnie...."

"It's okay, I'll call Eunji and asked her to pick you up, Bomi is somewhere, shooting Running Man today.."

"oh.. I see... I'll wait for Eunji unnie then..." Namjood continued, "go now unnie, bye... bye Hayoung..." she waved.

"okay then..." Chorong smiled and waved back, Hayoung too smiled at Namjoo, thinking that she should at least smiled at the older girl as a gratitute towards her...

 

Their way back home was silenced, as Hayoung was tired and just closed her eyes. Chorong constantly eyed the girl. She knew Hayoung was not sleeping,  so she Hayoung's hair with her right hand while driving. Her left hand sticked to the steering wheel. Hayoung opened her eyes and turned her head to Chorong. Chorong glanced at her, and said "just sleep, it's fine, I'll wake you up when we arrived." Eyes on the road, Chorong heard Hayoung said something, but due to the unstability of Hayoung's voice, she couldn't understand it,

 

"what did you say??"

"i'm cold..."

 

Stepping on the brake to stop for the red light, Chorong looked at Hayoung and realized that she had no jacket on, only her school's coat. She felt so stupid to only noticed that. It is winter, and yes, the heater is on, but Hayoung is sick, so naturally she will feel colder than Chorong. 

 

"sorry Hayoung-ah, I didn't noticed it. Are you okay?"

".....yes.......no?" unsure what to say, Hayoung stuttered.

"wait....wait..." Chorong reached her hand to the back seat and grab a blanket that she had always leaves in the car and put it on Hayoung.

"thank you..."

 

 

(At Home)

 

"take a shower before you sleep, okay? I'm gonna cook something... you haven't eaten yet, right?" said Chorong while helping Hayoung walked to her bedroom. Hayoung nodded and was left alone after Chorong headed for the kitchen and cooked some porridge for Hayoung and some stew for herself and the other kids. After finished cooking, she went to wake Hayoung up,  and shook her head when she saw Hayoung was sleeping in her school uniform. "aigoo.. I told her to take a shower... hmmm no, I should have took her to the bathroom instead of went straight to cook. What kind of a sister am I ?"  she blamed herself for being so unsensible. She woke Hayoung up, "hey... Hayoung.... maknae-ya... wake up...". Hayoung moved a bit and opened her eyes."The food is ready, let's eat something....." a few seconds of silence and she continued, "but let's take a shower first...."

 

Hayoung get up and suddenly hugged Chorong. The unexpected action made the older girl shocked, but her arms wrapped her maknae, anyway...

"what is it?" she asked.

"I don't want to bath... It's too cold..." 

"Hayoung-ah, I'm not asking you to take a shower with cold water...." she moved s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter