Chapter 9

Ordinary Thing

The quiet and intense atmosphere filled the Jeong household. Nobody dared to speak as two girls kneeled with their hands on their laps, head down as they shivered from the cold air, soaking wet from the rain.

Eunji feels her eyes fill up with tears as she grips on her lap, she sniffles before speaking.

“I’m sorry”

 

-Flashback-

It was a Tuesday afternoon in school as Eunji and Naeun were discussing their research paper in class. Everyone was too busy with their own research partners as they were given time to think about a proper subject for the research paper.

“How about we go to a nearby animal shelter and talk to the facilitators about the animals?” Eunji suggested

“No that’s too simple” Naeun shakes her head while continuing to think about a good subject

“Everything is too simple for you Naeun” Eunji rolled her eyes before leaning her head on the desk, closing her eyes.

“Well I’m sorry for trying to make this research paper perfect for the both of us” Naeun scoffed as she leaned her back on the chair while crossing her arms.

The couple stayed quiet as they both continued to think. After a few minutes, Eunji opened her eyes before speaking.

“We could go to a kindergarten and volunteer to teach the kids. I remember you told me that you wanted to do that in the future” Eunji smiles a bit before sitting up.

Naeun smiled a bit before looking at Eunji “Yeah, I’d like that a lot.”

Eunji nods before writing it down on a piece of paper “Then it’s settled, that’s the subject of our research project.”

 

As the bell rang and classes ended, Eunji and Naeun made their way to the pre-school area of the school before going to the office of the head of the pre-school department.

“Mrs. Choi, Me and my research partner, Jeong Eunji would like to volunteer and help teach the kindergartners. Our subject for the research paper is made on future job experiences and we would like to request if it is alright to based it on this type of job.”

Naeun spoke with poise. Just like what her father and mother taught her. Speak with elegance and Smile with confidence.

Eunji smiled unconsciously, which is a rare sight to see as people see her as a cold and bad person like her father.

Mrs. Choi, the head of the pre-school department was about to decline politely but wondered why Jeong Hyerim smiled. The news about her father and Miss Son’s father circled around the whole country.

She thought that maybe Jeong Eunji might be different from her father. Somehow her smile shows kindness and politeness and how could she even think that she was about to decline someone volunteering, which is also rare because it’s about handling children and that could be messy.

“Of course, ladies! We are very happy to have the both of you as volunteers to help with the children!”

Naeun and Eunji quickly bowed down and thanked the administrator. “Thank you!”

“When would you like to start?” Mrs. Choi asked as she filled up paperwork for the volunteers.

Eunji and Naeun looked at each other and discussed their schedules. “We would like to start on Tomorrow and end on Friday”

Mrs. Choi nods before typing it on her computer.

She printed two copies of schedules and exit permits to both students as they politely held on to the papers and checked the schedules.

The two bowed down again before thanking the teacher and exits the room.

Mrs. Choi smiled and thought of how both girls are so okay with being each other but it’s not her business so she decided to out.

 

The next day, they were excused immediately from morning classes as their schedule to teach children is from first period to lunch time.

They go to the women’s locker room to change into appropriate clothes and tied their hair. Eunji held Naeun’s hand as they walked to the pre-school area.

“Unnie! Not here” Naeun quickly lets go of Eunji’s hand.

Eunji rolled her eyes and huffed, she stuffed her hands in her hoodie and stopped walking “Fine...Even when no one’s around”

Naeun chuckles at her girlfriend’s childish antics “Come on the kids are waiting for us”

Eunji nods and continues to walk.

They both reach the kindergartners’ classroom as they hear the laughter and screams. They waited patiently outside the room before a teacher walks towards them with a smile and a basket filled with story books and coloring books.

“Good morning ladies, I am Miss Im Yoona and I’ll be here to help the both of you if you have any questions or concerns regarding the children.”

Eunji and Naeun bowed down to the teacher before greeting back. Eunji smiled widely at the pretty teacher as Naeun rolled her eyes before speaking.

“Miss Im, what are the things that we need to do today?” she nudged her girlfriend to snap out of it.

Yoona giggled before handing them the box “We’re just gonna read them a story and color books today, but if you have any suggestions for them to do, don’t be shy to tell me”

Yoona leads them to the room where the children were all on the mat and waiting for their teacher for story time.

“Good morning children!” Yoona greets the children as the children all shouted at the same time

“Good morning Seonsaengnim!” Naeun and Eunji smiled at the children. One little boy stood up and pointed at Naeun.

“Seonsaengnim! That noona looks like IU” All of them laughed before Yoona introduced the both of them.

“This is Naeun and Eunji and they will be your teachers for the rest of the week so treat them well”

The children replied at the same time with lots of energy “Yes!”

Yoona left Eunji and Naeun with the kids as Naeun got a book and sat on a chair in front while Eunji sat down with the children.

The children start to gather around her as one kid sat on her lap, one played with her hair, one started hugging her.

Eunji feels a little overwhelmed with the little children around her as she remains calm and smiles at all of them and shushes them as Naeun started to read a fairytale.

The children stayed quiet as Naeun told the story while Eunji also matched well with the kids and listened to Naeun like she was part of the class.

The whole hour contained with Naeun’s story-telling as Eunji and Naeun took their break while the children ate their biscuits and drank their milk they gave out.

“What was that about?” Naeun whispered as she sets up the tables and chairs for drawing time.

“What do you mean?” Eunji looked at Naeun before looking back at the milk carton she was opening.

Once the milk carton was open she gave it back to the little girl and pats her head before the little girl runs back to her friends

“Be careful with the milk, Yoonji” She tells the child, she stands up and helps her girlfriend setting up the chairs and tables.

“With Miss Im, you made googly eyes at her while shamelessly trying to flirt with her in front of me” Naeun sighed and pushes the tables.

“Ahh that...I heard rumors about Miss Im, that she’s the prettiest teacher in the whole school” Eunji stated and shrugged it off “I’ve seen prettier though…but I gotta be honest that she is beautiful”

Naeun scoffs before letting go of the tables and raising an eyebrow at Eunji “Then why don’t you date her instead?”

Eunji chuckles and attaches herself to Naeun. She looks around and sees the children busy eating their food. She gives Naeun a quick kiss on her cheeks before smiling goofily at the unfazed girl who’s wiping her cheek.

“Ayee my Nangni is jealous, I was not done speaking yet love.” She clears before speaking

“I’ve seen someone much more prettier and lovely and that’s you my dear” Eunji winks at Naeun.

“Whatever Jeong Eunji” Naeun rolled her eyes before smiling.

“And I heard Miss Im is dating our Gym Teacher, Miss Kwon” She chuckles before helping Naeun again.

Naeun smirks and puts her tongue out “Well too bad, you’re stuck with me”

 

After the kids ate their snacks, they all gathered and lined up in front of Eunji as she handed out crayons and coloring books. The kids sat down on their chairs and laid their coloring books on the table and started to color.

Naeun started walking around and helped the children as Eunji excused herself and went to Miss Im.

“Miss Im, May I ask if I can play music for the children?” Eunji beams and clasps her hands together.

Yoona smiled and nods at Eunji “Yes of course but we don’t really have any speakers for music”

Eunji shakes her head “I have an idea; do you mind if I get the piano from the Music Room?”

“I’m sure Taeyeon-unnie wouldn’t mind” Yoona nods

Eunji nods and thanks Miss Im and goes out, going to the music room.

 

Eunji knocks on the door and peeks her head in “Miss Kim?”

A small figure went closer to Eunji and opens the door “Jeong Eunji come in, you don’t need to be formal around me, no one’s around”

Eunji nods before entering. “Taeyeon unnie, May I borrow the piano, for a while?” she pleaded and rubbed her hands together.

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow at her dongsaeng “You wanna impress girls with your talents again?”

“What? No!” Eunji looked at her with her eyes widened and started rubbing her face

“I wanted to play music for the k-kindergarteners”

Taeyeon lets out an ahjumma laugh before dramatically wiping her eyes “Hyerim they’re too young for your age, that’s disgusting!”

“Unnie, not like that!” she protests and shows her nametag “I v-volunteered to teach them”

Taeyeon laughs proudly before ruffling her hair “You’re changing Hyerim and I won’t question it. You may use the piano”

Eunji raised her fists “Yes!” She quickly runs to get the piano and wheels it outside “Thank you Unnie”

 

Eunji comes back with a piano as she sets it up in front of the children, still busy coloring as Naeun approaches her

“What are you doing Unnie?”

Eunji looks at her and smiles “I wanna play music for them and y-you said you wanted to hear my voice.”

Naeun blushed before nodding “Go ahead Unnie”

Eunji sits down in front of the piano and starts to press on the piano, practicing her fingers and plays different kinds of melodies.

Naeun gathers the children and sits them down on the mat in front of Eunji

Eunji smiles at Naeun before playing a song for the children.

 

“When I close my eyes and open them, you’re far away

If I close my eyes and open them again, I can’t see you

I’m drawing you out again and my day is getting longer

Where can I see you now?

Again today, I’m looking only for you

 

I close my eyes, I cover my mouth, but you seep out’

I call and call out to the moonlight that shines on me

But your name that flows out makes me tear

You promised that you would come back, you pinky swore

 

rallara rara rara rarira rara rara

rallara rara rara rarira rara rara”

 

Eunji finished singing and smiled at Naeun as the children cheered for Eunji.

Naeun chuckles before nodding at Eunji. The children soon stood up and headed towards the piano playing with it slightly as Naeun tried to calm them down.

“Okay Children! Let’s move on to the next song” Eunji tells them as they ran back down to sit down on the mats.

“I’m sure everyone knows this song, so sing along with me” She stretches her fingers and plays the song

“Sarangeul Haetda, uriga manna” Eunji sang as she played the piano.

The children started to sing a long and some even danced “Uriga Mandeun Lo-o-ove Scenario”

 

As soon as Lunchtime came, the children bid their goodbyes to the student teachers before eating their lunches. Eunji and Naeun said goodbye to Miss Im and wheeled the piano back to the music room. Since Miss Kim wasn’t there, Eunji left a note on top of the piano and they exit the room before going to the women’s locker room where they changed back to their school uniforms.

Eunji brought lunchboxes for the both of them and went upstairs to the rooftop.

The older girl also brought a mat for them to sit on as they, silently prayed “I’ll eat well” and ate their lunches silently.

“Hey, why are you quiet?” Eunji looks at Naeun who’s quietly eating rice and pork.

Naeun looks at her and continued to chew.

“Is this because of Miss Im?” Eunji asked as she ate some of her lunch

Naeun shaked her head and swallowed her food “I’m just thinking about the song earlier”

“Ahh… I made that song for someone special, but she left because my father told her to go away but…umm...I found her again and I’m happy because she really promised that she wont leave”

Naeun nods before continuing to eat her lunch, couldn’t help but wonder who that someone is.

 

Taeyeon entered the music room and spots the piano in the wrong place. She moves closer to the piano and sees the note on top of the piano, she picks it up and reads it.

“Thanks, unnie! I made the children happy and made my girlfriend smile. Oooh I didn’t tell you about who she is yet…I promise to visit soon with her and tell you. I’m also sure Eomma misses you, don’t worry. I love you Unnie”

Taeyeon chuckled and laughed at her half-sister’s note before shaking her head “Aigoo that little brat” she whispered and continued to wheel the piano in the right place.

 

Eunji closed her eyes as she hums a little song as Naeun leaned her head on her girlfriend’s shoulder. Eunji smiled as she felt Naeun’s head on her shoulder and leaned her head on top of hers.

“You must be wondering who that person is huh?” Eunji chuckles as Naeun nods

“I have a secret, I didn’t tell you yet” Eunji says as she felt Naeun move her head away as she made eye contact with the older one.

Naeun furrows her eyebrows “I thought there would be no secrets between us?”

Eunji chuckles and nods “Well, I’m only going to tell this secret to you because no one ever knows”

“I have an older half-sister and she works here” Eunji confessed and holds Naeun’s hand.

“No, it’s not Miss Im, but it’s our music teacher Miss Kim Taeyeon” Naeun widens her eyes and covers

“No wonder the both of you have good voices!” She chuckles and smiled a little at Eunji “But what happened?”

“Like I said before baby, my father was a very kind man, you wouldn’t have expected him to be like this at all. Even if Taeyeon unnie is a daughter from my father, my eomma loved her so much and treated her as if she really is her daughter. You see Nangni, Taeyeon unnie’s eomma died when she was born, so our family had to raise her since Appa is really her Appa but ever since Appa got influenced with gambling, drinking, cheating by his friends on the business, he started to change. He started to hurt our eomma and us. I was just a young girl back then and I didn’t know what to do. Taeyeon unnie tried to confront Appa and tried to make him stop but he threatened to kill her girlfriend. So, he told her to leave the house and to end all connections with us.”

Eunji feels herself getting teary eyed as she sniffles and looks down. Naeun reached forward and wiped her tears.

“But then, I heard that we were going to have a new music teacher and then I saw her again. She really promised that she’ll come back to us but until now she hasn’t met with our eomma or Minki again. I am so happy that I get to see my sister again.”

Naeun continued to listen to Eunji and felt happy that Eunji’s happy about that on the other hand, maybe she doesn’t know everything about her girlfriend, but she’s determined to know more about Eunji’s life but of course she must wait and be patient about it to make Eunji more comfortable.

“You know, you can always tell me about your problems and worries unnie” Naeun smiled at Eunji.

“I know…and I’m sorry for not telling you sooner.”

“No, don’t ever apologize for it…I want you to be comfortable when you tell me, not because I’m pressuring you or anything.”

Eunji smiled at Naeun and pecks her forehead.

“I trust you Naeun don’t worry. I’ll keep that in mind Thank you baby”

Naeun pecked her lips before she stands up, holding her hand out to help Eunji stand up.

“Come on, let’s get to class”

 

When evening came, the Jeong family were busy eating dinner as a family. As the atmosphere is quiet as usual. Eunji ate silently and smiled at her Eomma across the table and whispered “Dinner is great, mom”

Her mother smiled a bit and nods at her daughter as her father cleared his throat before speaking.

“I’ll be gone for Five days, I’ll be going overseas and go to Macau.”

Eunji scoffed and looked at him “Will be busy gambling again Appa?”

Eunji’s father slams his hand on the table, shutting Eunji up as he stands up and walks out of the table with his plate, going to his office.

As Eunji’s father walked out, Eunji groans in frustration before leaning her head on the table as her mother sighs and holds the youngest Jeong’s hand as he got scared from the noise

“Eomma, how can you stand this guy?” Eunji says to her mother looking at her in the eyes.

“I fell in love with him Hyerim… It may look complicated but deep down I know you’re appa is in that monster”

Eunji stood up before grabbing her plate, walking to the kitchen mumbling “That man is not my father anymore.”

 

The next two days went by fast as Eunji and Naeun continued to teach the children new things and it was already their last day as teachers and the children were somehow sad about it.

“We’ll come soon to visit.” Eunji chuckles as the children start to flock around her and hug her legs, causing Eunji to lose her balance, the kids tackling her.

Naeun chuckles before taking her phone out to take a quick picture.

Eunji sits up as children continued to hug her

A little boy suddenly went up to Naeun and tugged on the apron she’s using. Naeun crouches down to his height before the little boy gives a letter with a small flower on it.

“Naeun Seonsaengnim Saranghae” The little boy shyly confessed as Naeun chuckles and pats his head

“Thank you, Yoonjae” Yoonjae hugs Naeun before running back to Eunji as he hugs Eunji tightly while still blushing.

“Eunji Hyung I did it!” Eunji laughs out loud and ruffles his hair

“So, the person you like all along was Naeun seonsaengnim”Yoonjae nods before smiling widely

“Don’t worry, little buddy I promise to take care of her for you” Eunji smiles before looking at Naeun who’s busy playing with other kids.

 

As the children were soon fetched by their parents, Eunji and Naeun were left to clean the room as Miss Im went out to run some errands of her own.

Eunji arranged the chairs and fixed the mats while Naeun sweeps the floor.

“This week passed by so fast” Eunji said as soon as she was done with her part. She sat down on a chair and watched her girlfriend sweep.

“Atleast we’re done with half of our research paper” She sits down besides Eunji as they wait for Miss Im.

“You’re great with kids Nangni.” Eunji leans her head on the table in front of her.

“I bet you’re gonna be a great eomma in the future.” She whispers before closing her eyes, relaxing on the table.

Naeun snickers before whispering back as she leans her back on the chair.

“You’re more of an Appa than an Eomma Jeong.”

Eunji chuckles, opening one eye to peek at Naeun as she says seriously.

“Then have my children in the future.”

Naeun stops smiling before looking at her with a blank face. Eunji sits back up before laughing loudly

“I was kidding Naeun!” Eunji started to pinch the younger girl’s face “Your reaction is too funny.”

Naeun started to frown as she got shocked from Eunji’s joke “It’s not funny! That really caught me off-guard”

Eunji stopped laughing before putting her hands together “Sorry.”

Naeun raised an eyebrow before smirking “You’ll have to marry me first.”

Eunji blushed and was now caught off-guard. Now it was Naeun’s turn to laugh.

 

It was already 5 in the afternoon as they were done with everything. The rain was pouring and both girls were stranded. They were under the bus stop. Eunji was somehow pissed as the younger girl just sat on the bench.

Both wet from the rain as Eunji took off her jacket and gave it to Naeun. Luckily no one was even there because of the unexpected weather.

“Aish! you should’ve told your driver to get you!”

“Our driver is busy right now and I just can’t call him because he might see you too!”

Eunji peeks at the sign and said that the next bus going to Naeun’s house was in an hour

“! I can’t let you stay here for an hour, you’re soaking wet!” Eunji looks at the street name and thinks of something.

“Naeun, we need to go to my house. It’s just near and you can stay there.”

Naeun looks at her with a frown before speaking “Your family is there! I can’t go there!”

The rain suddenly poured heavily as they argued.

“He won’t be home for three more days! I swear he’s not there, we need to go to my house now!” Eunji shouts as they can’t hear each other from the rain.

“What about your mother? Wouldn’t she be home?” Naeun argued back

“It’s Friday! She won’t be home, she’s probably out with Minki!”

Naeun sighed and looked at the heavy rain.

“Fine! Let’s go!” Naeun stood up before Eunji gives her a piggyback ride as she holds an umbrella for the both.

Eunji ran, heading towards her house as it was just a 15-minute walk from the bus stop.

As Eunji steps onto the porch, she lets Naeun down and sees her shivering from the cold.

“The umbrella was supposed to keep you dry, not wet!” Eunji rolls her eyes and pulls her closer, trying to give her warmth. She gets her house keys from her pocket before unlocking the door.

They both entered the house as Naeun started to look around and see a dim light and faint noise coming from the living room.

“Eunji unnie, I think someone’s home” Naeun looked at Eunji who was fixing herself.

“Huh?” She walked towards the living room with Naeun and opens the door.

 

“Hyerim-ah?” Eunji’s mother looked at her with a surprised face as her daughter was soaking wet but her eyes land on the girl behind her daughter who was also surprised.

“.” Eunji whispers.

-End of Flashback-