Chapter 7

Ordinary Thing

Eunji walked towards the staircase leading up to the roof before turning back to see if ever anyone was following her. As she walks up to the rooftop she sees a beautiful girl sitting on the pavement, reading a book with her earphones on. Eunji smiles before approaching the younger girl with a smile.

Eunji sits down beside her as Naeun looks at her with a slightly shocked face “Yah... Eonni what are you doing here? I thought you were eating lunch with your friends”

Eunji shrugs before stretching her arms forward. “Ehh… It’s okay, I wanted to see you also babe” she pinches Naeun’s cheek softly before giving her the signature eye-smile.

 “My cutie baby, what made you want to go up here?” She asks as she slightly turns her body, facing her girlfriend as she cupped the younger girl’s face and pecked her forehead slightly

Naeun sighed before frowning a bit “I just got pissed off by the people who were looking at us weirdly earlier” she closes her book before Eunji stops holding her face.

“This Eonni, I don’t want to hide anymore” She whines as she holds Eunji’s hand, interlocking it with hers.

Eunji looks down and sees their hands intertwined with each other as she sighed before using her free hand to caress Naeun’s cheek. “You know there are consequences, it’s too hard for us to defeat them and you just can’t leave your family, we’ve talked about this before”

Naeun looks deeply into Eunji’s eyes before tearing up “I want to be free and be selfish for once in my life”

Eunji leans her forehead to Naeun’s before kissing her nose “I’m trying to protect you Naeun” she sighs whispering to Naeun.

Naeun pulls away and raises her eyebrow “From what?”

“From my father” Eunji looks at her sadly before feeling her heartbeat rise.

Naeun frowns a bit before giving her a confused look “What do you mean?”

Eunji feels a lump on as she musters up all her courage and spilled her secret “He did this to me.” She shows the bandage on her arm. “He did this to me because someone told him that they saw us when we were walking around on the streets on our date”

Naeun feels her heart break as she discovers that Eunji’s father hurt her own daughter. She quickly looks at her bandaged arm as she trembled a bit, she looks up staring deeply in Eunji’s eyes before saying
“How did he do this Eonni?”

Eunji sighs before looking down “I heard him slap Eomma and I had to protect her, so I stood up for her and he suddenly talked about you and me. When someone told him that they saw us together, I quickly thought of a lie and I said that I was with Bomi and Chorong eonni but he didn’t believe so he…” she takes a deep breath before closing her eyes “He burned a cigarette on my arm and he told me that if he knew that I was lying, he would hurt you too.”

Eunji quickly regrets saying those words as Naeun’s tears start to drip. She sighs before wiping her girlfriend’s tears “Please don’t cry baby” she hushes the girl as the latter starts to cry. “I can handle this, I just have to defeat him then I can be free. But I don’t know for now… especially when your father just humiliated him in front of the country”

Naeun looks down and sighs “I’m sorry about all this baby” Eunji shakes her head and chuckles softly “No need to be sorry, my father deserves this” She sighs before leaning her back on the wall

“Everyone is right about him anyways Naeun” she smiles bitterly before looking deep into Naeun’s eyes.

“That bastard used to be a great man I respected and loved but now… he would do anything just to hurt the people I love the most.”

 

Hayoung chuckles as she continued to on her lollipop and looked at her girlfriend beside her. “Penny for your thoughts Joo Eonni?” She smiled sweetly before winking at Namjoo who looked back at her.

“Hayounggie what if we find out what’s going on with Eunji Eonni?” Namjoo says seriously as Hayoung raised an eyebrow at her.

“After all, You’re the one who wants to be a great investigator in the future!” Namjoo encourages her girlfriend as Hayoung smiled shyly “I guess, I mean I want to be as good as my dad too!” Hayoung beamed.

Namjoo smiles widely and proudly at her girlfriend being so ambitious. “Your determination turns me on baby” Namjoo smirks and pecks the younger’s cheek. Hayoung wiggles her eyebrows before throwing away the stick of her lollipop. “You wanna go to my house and “plan” our little investigation?”

Namjoo chuckles and pinches Hayoung’s waist “Anything you want sweetheart” They walk hand in hand as they head to Namjoo’s classroom, a floor above Hayoung’s.

As they are in front of Namjoo’s room door, Hayoung gave a quick peck on her lips and pulled her closer before giving her a long kiss on her forehead. “I’ll be here to get you later when the bell rings” Namjoo nods before looking deep into her girlfriend’s eyes

 “No flirting to anyone okay?” Hayoung warned and chuckles teasingly before letting go. Namjoo rolls her eyes before nodding “Yeah, yeah whatever, see you later stranger” Namjoo waves her hand before entering her classroom.

Hayoung smiles a bit and watches as her girlfriend enters her room, leaving her sight. She walks away down to the hallway before deciding not to go to her classroom, heading upstairs to the rooftop to take a whiff of fresh air.

 

As she goes up the stairs up to the rooftop, she gets closer to the door as she hears whispers and voices.

She peeks inside and sees Eunji with her head on Naeun’s lap with her eyes closed as they talk and laugh. Hayoung’s eyes widen and released a gasp on what she discovered. She stumbled a bit from being surprised and knocked on the door accidentally.

Eunji opened her eyes and stood up, approaching the door as she looked back at Naeun who’s nervously holding her breath. Eunji signals her to stay on the side and be quiet. Eunji takes a quick breath and opens the door. She widens her eyes and raised an eyebrow before speaking. “Hayoung-ah?!”

Hayoung smiles nervously before speaking as well. “H-Hey Eunji Eonni” She stammers and feels her sweat dripping down on her face

Eunji sighs and looks at her “How long have you been there?” Hayoung shakes her head “Not too long but…” She looks down before peeking at the person behind Eunji. “I saw you and her…”

Eunji opens the door further letting the maknae inside “I guess, it’s time for me to tell you the truth.” She signals Naeun to come closer before quietly whispering to Naeun “It’s Okay baby, we can trust her.”

Eunji holds Naeun’s hand and takes a deep breath “Me and Naeun have been dating for almost a year Hayoung.”

Hayoung’s mouth forms an “O” as her eyes widen, and she claps slowly “Daebak…Bomi Eonni was right” she laughs loudly before wiping a lone tear. “Who would’ve thought that Bomi Eonni did make sense now”

Eunji raises an eyebrow “What did you say? Y-You mean Bomi figured it out?” Eunji pinched Hayoung’s ear to stop her from laughing out loud. “Yah! What did Bomi tell you?”

Hayoung gulps seeing her eonni’s glare. “Nothing, you didn’t hear it from me hehehehe” she smiles innocently.

Eunji was about to smack Hayoung’s arm but was cut off by Naeun speaking. “If you don’t mind me asking Hayoung-ssi but isn’t your father a well-known investigator?”

Hayoung nods timidly and speaks softly and formally to the older girl “Yes Naeun-ssi” She looks at Naeun nodding before Hayoung asks “What about my father?”

Naeun nods before speaking “Do you think I can trust you easily? Especially when your father is good friends with mine”

Hayoung scoffs before pushing her hair back “Then why do you think I’m very close to Eunji eonni? First, Naeun-ssi, I respect you and Eunji eonni’s relationship and Second, I know Eunji eonni well enough to not judge her unlike some people”

She rolls her eyes before murmuring “Unlike the people you hang out with Naeun-ssi, our group is loyal to each other, we’re family and we will protect Eunji eonni no matter what, I don’t know about you but if your group continues to harass anyone in my family, I swear to God, I’ll be the worst person you’ll know”

Hayoung pulls out a lollipop from her pocket and takes off the wrapper and on the sweet candy, smirking.

Naeun stays quiet and unfazed at the intimidating girl in front of her as they engage in a strong staring contest.

Eunji clears before speaking “Y-Yah Hayoung-ah… Naeun’s different, she’s not like the others, in fact, she’s here for me and I’m here for her” She looks at Naeun and continues to rub Naeun’s hand before kissing her knuckles.

Hayoung choked on her lollipop as she sees the couple being so lovey-dovey. She pulls the lollipop away and clicks her tongue “I’m still here you know” Hayoung scanned Naeun from head-toe “Fine then, she has to prove it first”

Eunji shakes her head “Well Hayoung, we can’t publicize our relationship, you’ll know what my father can do especially when I’m dating the Son’s daughter” She sighs and looks down “I can’t lose her”

Naeun nods and looks at Hayoung with soft eyes “Hayoung-ssi I’d do anything for her, but I can’t risk her getting hurt also”

Hayoung nods before moving closer to both of them “Naeun…Eonni” she smiles a bit at both of them “I understand… Really… and I won’t tell anyone else but...” She looks at Eunji whose eyes were on her now. “You have to tell the others”

Eunji thinks for a while before looking at Naeun “Naeunnie… Do you want me to tell my friends? I mean this is our relationship not just mine but know that we can trust them. I know them, they helped me throughout the pain I’ve felt with my father”

Naeun bites her lip before looking at Eunji’s soft orbs “We can tell them” She chuckles a bit before letting out an airy sigh “I wanted to be free from the chains we’ve been carrying anyways baby”

Eunji chuckles and pinches her cheek “My girl is such a deep speaker” She looks at Hayoung and nods “Fine we’ll tell them soon, just give us time”

Hayoung nods before smiling “great then” She looks at Naeun “Good luck with the others Miss Son”