Chapter 5

Ordinary Thing

As the morning comes, Son Naeun wakes up as her alarm rang. She extends her arm to her phone on her bedside table before sitting up to stop her alarm. As her eyesight adjusted to the brightness of her phone, she yawns and sees a text message from her girlfriend and another one from Taemin. She sighs and opens Eunji’s text first.

Eunji: Good morning Sleeping Beauty, your very handsome prince went to school early and bought breakfast for you, so how about we meet and eat together?

She quickly smiles at her message and before she can reply, she feels her phone ring as Taemin calls.

Naeun: Hello?

Taemin: Good Morning my pretty Naeunnie, have you seen my text? I’ll pick you up at around 6:45.

Naeun: Not yet, it’s okay Oppa I can just go to school, you don’t really have to pick me up.

Taemin: No, I insist, we can get breakfast also on the way.

Naeun: But Oppa, I told my family that I’ll be eating with them.

Taemin: Great then I’ll see you there, bye Naeun.

Naeun sighs and stands up going to the bathroom, taking a quick shower before putting on her school uniform. She makes her bed before going downstairs seeing her parents eating breakfast on the table.

“Morning Appa and Eomma” She sits down on a chair before eating her breakfast. Her father smiles at her proudly before chuckling “My pretty daughter how was your sleep?”

 Naeun swallows her food before answering her father “It was okay appa”

Her father nods as the house butler enters the dining area

 “Sir, Ma’am, Lee Taemin is outside asking for Miss Son” Her father nods and smiles widely

“Let Him In!”

Naeun silently rolled her eyes before continuing to eat her breakfast. Taemin walked in the mansion in his uniform before bowing down to the Son family

 “Good Morning Uncle and Auntie, I would like to ask if I could drive Naeun to school after all, it could also save gasoline” Naeun’s father stood up and greeted Taemin with a hug before patting his back

 “Aigoo my son it’s no problem, Naeun would also love that” Naeun looked at her father with wide eyes and sighed.

 

As Taemin drives the car, Naeun looks at the window and sighs before looking at her phone.

“…” Naeun muttered before opening her phone texting Eunji quickly

Naeun: Eonni I’m sorry for replying so late but I’m on my way to school and I don’t think I can meet with you now…Taemin Oppa is with me. I’ll make it up to you I promise.

Taemin looks at her as she mutters a curse and smiles a bit “What’s Wrong Naeunnie?” Naeun shakes her head and smiles a bit at him “Nothing Oppa, I just remembered that I have a test today”

Taemin chuckles before ruffling her hair with his free hand as his other hand steered the car. “You can do this Naeunnie” Before hearing she can reply to him, her cellphone vibrates, notifying a new message.

Eunji: It’s fine…I can just give the food to Bomi.

Naeun sighs as she read the text before putting her phone down seeing that they’re in school. Taemin parks the car as he exits the car, going to Naeun’s side opening the door for her. As Naeun gets out of the car, she quickly thanks Taemin for the ride before walking away in a fast pace. Taemin stares at her with a weird look before shaking his head, sighing “Why is she in a hurry?”

As Naeun enters her classroom, she spots Eunji with Bomi talking as Bomi eats the breakfast supposedly for her. Naeun puts her backpack on the floor before looking at the clock on top of the whiteboard.

“Five Minutes before class starts” She thinks before getting her phone out of her pocket and gives Eunji a quick text.

Naeun: “I’m sorry about earlier, how about we eat lunch together?”

She sends the text and takes a quick glance behind her seeing Eunji receive the text.

Eunji frowns a bit as she sees Naeun’s text. She takes a deep sigh before looking at Bomi who’s busy texting Hayoung about their lunch plans.

Eunji: “I can’t…I’m promised Bomi that I’ll go with them.”

She sends the text quickly as she hears the front door open as their teacher enters.

*Vibrate, Vibrate*

Naeun bites her lip as her phone vibrated as their teacher enters.

“Whose phone was that? Aren’t we supposed to turn off all cellular phones when we enter the room?” The teacher tells the whole class calmly.

“It’s Mine, I’m sorry I must’ve forgot to turn it off” Eunji calmly raises her hand. The teacher nods before clicking her tongue “Very well Miss Jeong, since you are honest I’ll let you off with a warning.”  Eunji nods and thanks her teacher before slumping down on her seat in relief. She looks at Naeun in front as her girlfriend gives her a timid nod. Eunji nods back slightly before looking down at her stuff. What they both don’t know is that someone is observing both of their actions.

“Okay Class, we are going to have a research paper coming on and I am going to assign you all by partners.” The teacher puts out a list of all her students and starts calling them out.

“Soojung and Jinri”

“Byulyi and Bomi”

The teacher continues to name out all the assigned partners for the research paper, but the two hidden lovers’ names haven’t been called. They both are getting nervous, praying hard for the both of them not to be partners as both of their families are not in good terms with each other but of course fate decided to play with the both of them.

“and lastly Son Naeun and Jeong Hyerim”

The class turned silent as some of the students gasped and some started gossiping with one another. Eunji continues to show a cold, unreadable face but on the inside, she was shaking nervously. Naeun on the other hand, stood up and sat on the chair beside Eunji before speaking “Let’s do this research well”

The class turned to one another whispering about what just happened as Naeun looks at Eunji timidly before whispering quietly “Eonni, it’s gonna be okay just relax”

Eunji sighs and shakes her head before looking around her classmates looking at the both of them.

She gives a deep sigh and looks down before whispering “You don’t understand Naeun, we can’t be partners. It’s an observing research meaning we’ll have to be seen together outside of these school walls and you don’t know how my father would react to this, he’ll be so pissed and……”

Eunji looks down at her bandaged arm, remembering what her father told her last night.

As Naeun continues to look at her girlfriend, she notices what Eunji’s been staring at.

“Yah…What happened to you last night?” She quickly holds Eunji’s hand carefully, not hurting the latter before examining the bandage. Eunji looks at her with wide eyes before pulling her arm away from her as her eyes quickly glanced at the people around them. She sighs in relief as the room is busy discussing the research paper by partner.

Eunji whispers again lying to Naeun “I hit a big pole while I was walking home…” Naeun raises an eyebrow before scoffing leaning her back on the chair before crossing her arms

“You expect me to believe that?” Naeun rolls her eyes before looking deep into Eunji’s brown ones. Eunji gives a small smile before moving her chair closer to Naeun before slightly touching Naeun’s soft fingers. “You’re too cute for me and I’m not afraid of you Nangni” She pulls her hand away before chuckling.

Naeun tries hard not to smile before leaning in closer, whispering to her ear “You’re too whipped for me Jeong and that’s a fact” Eunji smirks teasingly and nods “I love my girlfriend, don’t I?”

As the couple discreetly flirts with one another, there is someone who couldn’t help but wonder what’s going on between the both of them.

“What’s going on between Naeun and Eunji?” Bomi thinks before Byulyi snaps her out of her thoughts.