+ dooly would miss you+

Ever Since You Came

 

 

That day, Kyungsoo's mom would finally be discharged from the hospital. He was able to pay for everything thanks to the housekeeping job. Jongin even paid him extra. They thanked everyone of the staff who took care of his mother. Kyungsoo even bought a gift for the doctor in charge. Kyungsoo insisted his mom to use a wheelchair as they descended by elevator. She could now walk without help but he just wanted his mom to relax.

 

They waited in front of the hospital for a taxi. But ten minutes later, no car could be seen passing by. Kyungsoo was about to call for a taxi service when a black luxury car suddenly halted in front of them. The car was awfully familiar to Kyungsoo. He had washed that car with his own hands before.

 

It was Jongin's car.

 

Jongin stepped out from the driver's seat, then he walked over to Kyungsoo and his mom. 

 

"Jongin...what are you doing here?" Kyungsoo asked, stunned. 

 

"Your service is here, sir." Jongin said jokingly. Kyungsoo's mom laughed.

 

"Jongin, my dear. Long time no see," Mrs. Do said tenderly.

 

"Hi, Mrs. Do. You look even prettier than the last time I saw you." Jongin said with a smile.

 

Mrs. Do waved a hand dismissively. "Oh, dear. You're too much."

 

Kyungsoo still couldn't comprehend what was happening. "Jongin. How about your work?" he asked lamely.

 

Jongin chuckled. "I own the company, Kyungsoo. I could skip work whenever I want."

 

Of course, you can. That was a dumb question. Kyungsoo shook his head. He wasn't expecting Jongin to come at all. Jongin had mentioned that he would be busy in the office today.

 

Jongin helped to get Mrs. Do settled in the car. He even grabbed the luggage Kyungsoo was holding and put it in the trunk. Kyungsoo just stood there, perplexed.

 

"Are you coming or you're just going to stand there all day?" Jongin said after everything was set.

 

Kyungsoo blinked. "Oh, right. I'm coming." He quickly walked to the car and got in the passenger's seat. Jongin just shook his head, but there was an amused smile on his face.

 

The ride to Kyungsoo's house was pleasant. He just listened to his mom and Jongin's conversation. They were like old friends who had finally been reunited after a long time. Kyungsoo thought that his mom's stories about Jongin was indeed true. Deep inside the cold facade, Jongin was a polite and caring man.

 

 

 

 

"Thank you for coming today." Kyungsoo said as he handed Jongin a mug of hot coffee. They were seated on the dining table at Kyungsoo's apartment. Mrs. Do was in her room, having a nap.

 

"No problem. Your mom's been taking care of me for so long, it's the least that I could do for her." Jongin smiled. He blew on the cup of coffee and took a careful sip.

 

Kyungsoo smiled back. Ever since the day that he had taken care of a sick Jongin, a lot had changed between them. Jongin wasn't the same as before. He would talk to Kyungsoo in a more relaxed way. And most of all, the ridiculous requests had stopped. Jongin would even invite Kyungsoo to eat dinner together.

 

But there was just one problem. An inevitable problem. Now that Kyungsoo's mom was better, and she had told Kyungsoo that she would continue working for Jongin, he felt sadder with the news than he had anticipated. Because that would mean that Kyungsoo wouldn't have a reason for seeing Jongin anymore.

 

"Are you going to continue working in the house?" Jongin asked, as if he had sensed Kyungsoo's worries.

 

"I don't think so. My mom said she'll continue working. And I can't take that away from her. She loves her job too much," Kyungsoo said solemnly.

 

"Oh, is that so." Jongin said. There was a hint of disappointment in his voice. "Well, I do understand. She's been working with us, with me, for many years now. It would definitely break her heart if she stop now," he conceded.

 

Kyungsoo noticed how Jongin's expression changed when he said 'with us'. There was no us. Jongin was alone in that big house.

 

"So, that's that. I'll find a new job and start over." Kyungsoo said as nonchalantly as he could. He couldn't let Jongin see that he was dejected from all this.

 

"I guess so." Jongin said simply. They remained silent for a while, as they gulped down their coffees.

 

"You can visit the house anytime, though." Jongin said, breaking the silence. He chose to say 'house' instead of 'me'. He didn't want to seem that desperate. "Dooly would miss you," he added, as though an afterthought.

 

Kyungsoo smiled at that. Dooly was the name of Jongin's pet turtle. "Sure. I'll visit Dooly sometimes. You're always so busy, you might forget to feed him."

 

"Yeah. Or you could be his personal feeder, if you want." Jongin quipped.

 

"If the pay is good, then why not." Kyungsoo replied, grinning.

 

Jongin just shook his head. "It's all about the money with you." But he was beaming when he said it.

 

If only that was a valid job offer, Kyungsoo would gladly take it. Just because he wanted a reason to see Jongin every day.

 

 


+