+ untouchable duo +

Ever Since You Came

 

 

The incident at the cafeteria was the hot topic at the company the next day. The majority of the employees were amazed at how Kyungsoo had fought back to those women. Others had even grown scared of him. Then there were some people who didn't really care. Because of the incident, Kim Jongin, and his personal assistant Do Kyungsoo, had now been branded as the company's 'Untouchable Duo'. Jongin had laughed at the term.

 


Before Kyungsoo started working, he only wanted to keep a low profile at the company. And now, there were some people who were actually afraid of him. Kyungsoo felt embarrassed. But as always, Kyungsoo wouldn't let that get in the way of his work.

 


Today, Jongin had another lunch meeting, with the same associate from yesterday. Kyungsoo had no choice but to eat lunch alone, again. He contemplated for a while on where he would eat, but in the end, he chose to stick to the company's cafeteria. No gossip could faze Kyungsoo from getting cheap, and delicious cafeteria food.

 


Kyungsoo was surprised when some people had greeted him when he entered the cafeteria. One guy even said that Kyungsoo was his 'role model'. Kyungsoo didn't know what to feel about it, so he just awkwardly smiled at the man and said nothing.

 


The lunch line was long that day. Kyungsoo joined the people lining up to grab some cheap cafeteria food. As Kyungsoo had expected, a few employees were looking at him strangely. He wondered if he would encounter the women from yesterday again. He surely hoped not. This time he might really throw something at them.

 


Kyungsoo jolted a little when someone suddenly tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and he was greeted by a wide smile coming from a blond-haired man.

 


"Kyungsoo, right?" The other man asked. Kyungsoo silently nodded his head. "I'm Byun Baekhyun. Nice to finally meet you." The man extended a hand towards Kyungsoo.

 


Kyungsoo reluctantly shook hands with the man. "It's nice to meet you too."

 


"I heard about the drama yesterday," said Baekhyun. Kyungsoo flinched. What did this guy want with him? Is he going to mock him too? "And I must say, that I'm a fan. Those girls deserve a taste of their own medicine," Baekhyun added, smirking.

 


"Oh...is that so." Kyungsoo said, a bit taken aback. He wasn't expecting that.

 


"Hey, the line is moving!" A man behind Baekhyun growled. Baekhyun hissed at the man and told him to shush. Kyungsoo didn't realize that the line had moved. He bowed apologetically and walked on. Baekhyun followed after him.

 


"Can I sit with you?" Baekhyun asked, appearing at Kyungsoo's side.

 


Kyungsoo studied Baekhyun's appearance for a moment. Baekhyun was clad in head to toe designer clothes, but unlike the women from yesterday, he had a friendly aura. And his enthusiasm seemed genuine. Kyungsoo thought that Baekhyun was like a rich and friendly boy next door type. "Sure." Kyungsoo answered.

 


"Great!" Baekhyun grinned, his eyes crinkling adorably.

 

 

 


Baekhyun was a chatterbox. He was one of those people who wouldn't run out of things to say in whatever situation. Kyungsoo just listened to Baekhyun's ramblings. He had learned that Baekhyun was the son of the head of the accounting department. And that Baekhyun was currently an intern in the company. Baekhyun's father wanted him to start from the bottom, and gradually make it to the top.

 

 


"So, how's Jongin as a boss?" Baekhyun asked suddenly. He was seated across from Kyungsoo.

 


Kyungsoo shrugged. "I don't know for the others. But for me, he's a great boss."

 


"How great is he?" Baekhyun wiggled his eyebrows meaningfully. Kyungsoo's eyes widened. He wasn't dumb. He knew that Baekhyun was implying something different.

 


But somehow, Kyungsoo wasn't offended with it. "We're not like that," he said. "He's just my boss."

 


"Riiight~" Baekhyun said, unconvinced. Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes.

 


"Stop being nosy and just eat your food," Kyungsoo retorted. He turned his attention back to his own food.

 


Baekhyun tilted his head a little to the side. "So, is it okay if I make a move on Jongin? He's exactly my type, you know."

 


Kyungsoo instantly choked on the food in his mouth. He banged his fist on his chest multiple times, then he grabbed his glass of water and drank in big gulps.

 


Instead of helping, Baekhyun was smirking at him. "Oh, Kyungsoo, my friend. You're so easy to read."

 

 

And that's how Kyungsoo met his first real friend in the company.

 

 


+

 

 


On the second week that Jongin informed Kyungsoo that he had another lunch meeting, with the same person, Kyungsoo was getting suspicious about it. Jongin wouldn't even tell him where they were having this 'lunch meeting' (if that's what it really is).

 


All Kyungsoo knew was the name of the person Jongin was meeting. A woman named Im Yoona. Kyungsoo didn't mind it too much that Jongin was meeting up with a woman, because he knew that it was purely business related. But now he was getting doubtful. Jongin had been seeing the woman for two straight weeks. And it would only be the two of them. As the famous saying goes, 'something smells fishy'.

 


When Jongin had left that day, Kyungsoo didn't even hesitate to search for Im Yoona's name on the internet.

 


Kyungsoo felt awfully inferior when he saw images of Im Yoona. She was a beauty, earning her the nickname 'goddess of the business world'. Kyungsoo was new to their world so he didn't know her. Im Yoona's basic info said that she was originally based in LA, but three years ago she had moved back to Seoul. Kyungsoo searched some more and his eyes landed on a certain article. He sighed with relief when he read in that article stating that Im Yoona was already married. But then that relief vanished right away when another article announced that Im Yoona and her husband were planning to file for divorce. The said article was posted just three days ago. Kyungsoo's thoughts ran wild.

 


Is this the reason why Jongin was always meeting up with the woman? Is he Im Yoona's new lover? And is he the reason for the divorce?

 


Kyungsoo shook his head vigorously to bury those disturbing thoughts away. He shouldn't be thinking about that. Whatever Jongin was doing with his private life was none of his damn business.

 


But Kyungsoo couldn't deny that knowing Jongin was dating someone else made his chest ache.

 

 

+

 

 

"...soo, Kyungsoo! Hey! Your soda is spilling."

 


Kyungsoo snapped out of his trance from Baekhyun's voice. "Huh?" he asked dumbly.

 


"I said your soda is spilling. Oh my god! It's all over the table now." Baekhyun pulled out tissues from the canister. He used it to wipe the soda that spilled on the table.

 


Kyungsoo jolted in attention. He was transferring the soda from the can to a glass with ice, and because his thoughts were somewhere else he didn't realize that the glass was already full.

 


"Oh no! I'm so sorry." Kyungsoo helped Baekhyun wipe the table dry. The spill was almost about to drop at Kyungsoo's thigh.

 


"What's wrong? You've been spacing out since we were in the elevator," Baekhyun said, sincerely worried. "Did something happen?"

 


Kyungsoo shook his head. "Nothing's wrong. I'm just...really tired." He lied lamely. He couldn't fess up to Baekhyun that he was really worried about something. He was still thinking about what he had read on those articles earlier. There was even a blind item about a young CEO who was having an affair with a business partner. Kyungsoo knew that he shouldn't trust those stupid blind items. But he couldn't get it off his mind.

 


"Did Jongin tire you out last night, huh?" Baekhyun teased.

 


Kyungsoo laughed dryly. "Stop it." If only what Baekhyun said was the case, Kyungsoo wouldn't be zoning out right now. 

 


"But seriously, Kyungsoo. What's wrong? You know that you can tell dear Baekhyun anything, right? I would listen to all your pain, and I'll comfort you. I'll buy you ice cream, cake, men, whatever you like, just say it," Baekhyun said, attempting to lighten up the mood because Kyungsoo didn't look fine at all.

 


That made Kyungsoo laugh, genuinely this time. "Thanks for the offer. But I can buy my own ice cream. And I don't pay men. They pay for me," he joked, sticking his tongue out at Baekhyun. But even though he said that, Kyungsoo didn't really have experience with other men. He didn't have experience in any relationship at all.

 


Baekhyun clutched his chest dramatically. "Ouch. You just broke my poor heart," he said. "But seriously, seriously, what's wrong, Kyungsoo? I won't stop until you tell me." He looked at Kyungsoo straight in the eye.

 


Kyungsoo sighed heavily. He knew that Baekhyun wouldn't stop pestering him until he confesses everything. And he knew that his friend was truly worried about him. There was no point in hiding it. Kyungsoo told Baekhyun that they should move to a more private place. What he was about to say was something exclusive only for their ears.

 

 


+