+ it's making me crazy +

Ever Since You Came

 


"Why am I really here Jongin?" Kyungsoo asked from across the table. Jongin was sitting in front of him, scanning the menu. They were now at a restaurant to eat dinner. Kyungsoo was very much surprised when Jongin fetched him at the airport. He was just planning to take a taxi and head straight to the hotel. But then Jongin came and greeted Kyungsoo with his warm and dashing smile. The smile that Kyungsoo had missed. Kyungsoo felt special again that Jongin had personally went to get him. Yet he told himself that it didn't mean anything. Jongin was just a caring person like that. 


Jongin looked up from reading the menu. "Let me order first. I'm starving." He smiled sheepishly. Kyungsoo smiled back and let out a small sigh. With Jongin, food always comes first. Jongin called the attention of a waitress. He ordered their food, in fluent Japanese. He didn't even ask what Kyungsoo wanted to eat. But Kyungsoo didn't mind since he had no idea what to order anyway. He couldn't even understand anything on the menu.


While they waited for the food to come Jongin asked about what happened in the company while he was away. Kyungsoo gladly relayed every story he could remember; mostly the funny ones that involved Chanyeol, the clumsy giant. And all the while they were talking Kyungsoo's earlier question remain unanswered. As if Jongin was avoiding the topic. Kyungsoo didn't press about it any further though. He didn't have a chance to, since the food that came was too good to ignore.


After eating, and Jongin paying for their meal, Kyungsoo thought that they were finally heading to the hotel. But as they drove into the highway Jongin suddenly parked the car somewhere else. What were they doing in a park? Before Kyungsoo could ask what's on his mind, Jongin had stepped out of the car already. Kyungsoo was left with no choice but to follow.


The park was a bit crowded even in night time. It was the middle of spring and the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. Kyungsoo was amazed at the sight of it. He hadn't experienced something like this back in Korea. He had no time for sightseeing or leisure since he's always busy making ends meet. Kyungsoo took out his phone from his coat's pocket. He needed to keep this memory in a photo.


Jongin was walking ahead and didn't realize that Kyungsoo had stopped following after him. He turned around and saw Kyungsoo immersed in taking pictures. It was a good idea to take Kyungsoo here. The big smile on his face was the clear evidence. "Come on, Kyungsoo." Jongin called out. "There's more to see this way." He pointed ahead of them. Kyungsoo ended taking pictures and followed along. He would never tell a soul that he sneaked a photo of Jongin while the latter wasn't looking. 


They were bumping into people as they walked in a more crowded area. Kyungsoo froze when he felt Jongin's hand gently touch his lower back. "We need to stick together. We're gonna get lost in here." Jongin explained, as an answer to Kyungsoo's questioning look. Kyungsoo could only nod his head in agreement.


They settled at a bench that was beside a man-made river. There were cherry blossom petals scattered in the water. The park was surrounded by numerous lights at night. Some people, mainly couples, were taking a small boat ride cruising through the river. Kyungsoo wanted to give it a try, but he said nothing. Since Jongin was now the one busy snapping photos. Besides, they're not even a couple. It would be a hell lot of awkward. 


"It's so beautiful in here." Kyungsoo gushed. He gazed up and the wind blew petals from a tree nearby. He raised a hand and caught a petal. Kyungsoo was admiring the petal when he felt a hand brush his hair softly. His body automatically went rigid. There must be something really wrong with Kyungsoo today. He would always freeze like a statue when Jongin does the bare minimum. 


"There's a petal stuck on your hair." Jongin explained. He smiled awkwardly then continued taking photos as if nothing happened. 


Kyungsoo blinked. "O-oh, right." He pocketed the petal in his grasp without thinking. He lightly cleared his throat and stared at his feet. A pool of petals had formed beneath him. His black sneakers looked out of place in the sea of pink. Kyungsoo hoped that Jongin didn't notice the pink that was appearing on his cheeks.

 

 

 

"Jong--"


"Kyung--"


They both spoke at the same time. Kyungsoo turned to Jongin, a smile grazing his face. "You first."


Jongin rubbed his nape uneasily. "Uhm, I...I was just wondering how Dooly's doing. I haven't seen the little guy for so long." This wasn't his original question but now for some reason Jongin couldn't say what's really bugging his mind. Now that Kyungsoo's staring at him with those beautiful wide eyes of his. 


"Dooly's doing great. I dropped by your house the other day and he's living his best life." Kyungsoo chuckled. "He's the luckiest turtle I know."


"I'm pretty sure he's the only turtle you know, Kyungsoo." Jongin said with an amused shake of his head. 


Kyungsoo shrugged. "Well, yeah, you're right. That's why he's the luckiest of all. Since Kim Jongin is he's dad." He grinned.


"And I'm neglecting my only son nowadays. I hope he won't run away from home." Jongin laughed. 


Kyungsoo regarded Jongin's profile for a moment. Jongin was looking up at the sky. The lights reflected on his deep tantalizing eyes. Kyungsoo sighed. Why were they talking about little Dooly right now? When there was a more important issue to talk about. That issue being Kyungsoo's sudden trip to Japan. What was Jongin's real purpose for this?


"Jongin..."


Jongin turned to Kyungsoo's direction. "Hmm? What is it?" There was a small smile on his face. 


Kyungsoo exhaled deeply. "Why am I here? Is there really a job for me to do here? If not, then what's the real reason I'm here. I want to know the truth, Jongin. Stop avoiding the question."


Jongin bit his lower lip and avoided looking at Kyungsoo. He gazed at the river instead. Kyungsoo waited patiently for him to answer. After a long pause, Jongin suddenly stood up. Kyungsoo was startled by the abrupt movement. He clutched his chest in nervousness. "W-what's the matter? Did I say something wrong?" Kyungsoo asked hesitantly.


Jongin held Kyungsoo's wrist without warning. He wasn't looking at Kyungsoo but still at the river ahead. "Let's go, we're going on a boat ride."


Kyungsoo made a face of utter confusion. "What?"

 


+

 

Kyungsoo and Jongin were now on a boat. A middle-aged Japanese man was rowing the boat for them. The man was looking the other way into the vast water. Kyungsoo and Jongin sat side by side in an uncomfortable silence. A few inches separated the two. 


"I asked you a question and now we're riding a boat." Kyungsoo spoke when he couldn't take the silence anymore. Jongin was gazing to the other side, still avoiding eye contact. "What are you really up to Kim Jongin?" Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at the man sitting next to him. 


Jongin sighed heavily. He knew he couldn't avoid the question forever. He should just face it like a man. And Kyungsoo deserved to know since he was technically forced to do all this. Jongin slowly turned to Kyungsoo and said, "Do you like Baekhyun?"


Well damn. That caught Kyungsoo way off guard. He raised an eyebrow inquisitively. "What's Baekhyun got to do with anything?"


"Just answer the question, Kyungsoo. Tell me honestly."


"I should be the one you're answering." Kyungsoo protested. "Why am I--"


"Do you like Baekhyun?" Jongin repeated more intently. He was staring straight at Kyungsoo.


Kyungsoo gulped. It had been a while since he'd seen Jongin this serious. "I do. I like Baekhyun." He blurted out without much thought into it. 


And just like that, Jongin's expression crumbled. "You like him. So...h-he's really your boyfriend," he said in a low tone. A tone filled with disappointment. And a hint of hurt.


Kyungsoo blinked, confused. "What?" He shook his head vigorously. "No, he's not. Baekhyun's just a friend. I don't...I don't have a boyfriend."


Jongin looked up instantly. "You don't? But that night when I called you. I heard him say that you would..." He paused and bit his lower lip - a nervous quirk. "He said you would shower together. And I just thought you guys were dating."


Kyungsoo sighed. "Baekhyun just don't know how to shut up sometimes. Or most of the time, to be honest." His friend was clearly dear to him but at times Kyungsoo wished he had a tape to plaster on Baekhyun's mouth. "I was sleeping over his house that time because I was feeling down since you were away. Baekhyun just wanted to cheer me up. It was so much fun. It was my first time ever to have a sleepover and we--"


"You were feeling down because of me?" Jongin interrupted. Kyungsoo pursed his lips and hit it lightly. Sometimes he doesn't know how to shut up, too.


Kyungsoo shifted on his seat nervously. "Uhh...yeah. I was just used to you being there bossing me around all the time that it felt kind of lonely without you in the office." He laughed awkwardly.


Jongin rolled his eyes but he was smiling. "I don't boss you around, Kyungsoo."


That was true though. Jongin used to treat Kyungsoo like a slave but things had changed a long time ago. Their relationship had improved for the better, most especially since Kyungsoo became Jongin's assistant. There was one thing that Kyungsoo was immensely curious to know, however. "Why did you hang up on me that night, Jongin? When you heard Baekhyun you suddenly ended the call. I didn't even have a chance to explain." 


"Because I was jealous." Jongin admitted. He didn't even hesitate to say it. This night, as they were cruising through the river and surrounded by beautiful scenery, was the perfect timing to tell Kyungsoo how he really felt. When would he ever get a chance like this again? 


"Y-you were jealous? But w-why?" Kyungsoo stuttered. His heartbeat quickened and his palms started to sweat. Jongin being jealous of Baekhyun was the last thing he expected. And now Jongin was suddenly leaning towards him and Kyungsoo felt like his heart would jump out of his chest. Jongin stopped just mere inches from Kyungsoo's face. 


"Because I like you, Kyungsoo. I like you so much. It's making me crazy." Jongin confessed, staring deeply into Kyungsoo's eyes.


Kyungsoo gulped heavily. He was perplexed beyond words. And now he didn't know what to do, or say, or how to breathe. In that moment the boat stopped moving. They had finished the ride. The rower said something Kyungsoo couldn't understand. As Jongin talked to the middle-aged Japanese man, Kyungsoo just stayed on his seat like a stone. He couldn't believe that Jongin just confessed to him!

 

 

 

+