+ a demon of a boss +

Ever Since You Came

 

 

Oh god. Please let me make it in time. Kyungsoo thought for the nth time that morning as he rode the train. His stupid alarm clock didn't set off so he woke up late. Jongin, his boss, would flip out if he didn't get what he wanted. And this morning he wanted Kyungsoo to buy a limited breakfast burger at a diner downtown. The breakfast burger was limited to 12 orders per day only. Kyungsoo needed to get there as fast as he could or it's time to say goodbye to his job.

 

Kyungsoo breathed a sigh of relief when the burger was finally in his hands. He was the 10th person to order. It didn't even matter that Kyungsoo looked disheveled and he still hadn't eaten breakfast himself. All that mattered was for Jongin to be satisfied. Kyungsoo couldn't lose this job, for him and for his mother.

 

His mother was a housekeeper in the Kim's residence. But she fell down the stairs on their apartment building, and now she's currently in the hospital recuperating. Thankfully her injuries weren't fatal; only a mild concussion, sprained ankle, and a bruised hip. Kyungsoo's mother had begged him to substitute for her work. She couldn't lose the job that she had worked hard for almost ten years now.

 

Of course, Kyungsoo couldn't refuse. He had just quit his job as a waiter due to a fight with the ert owner. They had no other source of income. The hospital bill would soon pile up. It was only him and his mother, Kyungsoo had no one else to ask for help. His father had disappeared from the face of the earth. Kyungsoo would do anything to pay for the bills.

 

So here was Kyungsoo, Jongin's temporary housekeeper. Or more like a slave really. Because Jongin was one demon of a boss.

 

Jongin would request the arduous things. An example would be that time when he wanted the latest robotic toy a big company had just made. Kyungsoo had to line up outside for one whole day just so he could buy the toy. Or when Jongin wanted a signed album of a famous male singer. Kyungsoo had to buy twenty albums just so he could get a pass for the singer's fan signing event. And after that he waited with all those giddy girls hoping to interact with the singer. Another one was when Jongin wanted an outfit he saw a model wearing on a TV interview. Kyungsoo had to search online for hours just so he could learn the name of the brand that model was wearing. Then he went to the mall, only to find out that the outfit wasn't for sale in Korea. Kyungsoo resorted to online shopping, but to his dismay, it was already sold out. Jongin almost sacked Kyungsoo that time. But thankfully Jongin changed his mind, and requested another outfit that was another pain to find.

 

Kyungsoo could always leave and tell Jongin to go to hell with his millions. But when he thinks of his mother, he swallows his pride and faces everything with utter determination. Kyungsoo would protect his mother's job. And he refused to let Jongin win.

 

Jongin ate the breakfast burger Kyungsoo had bought with gusto. Kyungsoo stayed in the kitchen and ate a cookie he found at an abandoned jar in the pantry. He was already dreading what would Jongin want for lunch.

 

Jongin's company had its own cafeteria. But he refused to eat there and would ask Kyungsoo to buy or cook his meals for him. Kyungsoo now had access to come and go at KJI Corporation. He was even friends with some of the employees. 

 

"What do you want for lunch later, Jongin?" Kyungsoo asked as he cleared the table. If there was one thing that Kyungsoo liked about his job, aside from the hefty pay, it was that Jongin would let him talk casually. 

 

"Nothing. I'm having lunch with some executives today, so don't bother." Jongin informed. He was busy fiddling with his cell phone, not even sparing Kyungsoo a glance. 

 

Thank god, I can relax for today. Kyungsoo sighed in relief. It was rare for Jongin to eat out with others, but when that happens it was pure bliss for Kyungsoo. He didn't need to run around and he could just rest during lunch. 

 

Kyungsoo's job was fairly simple, if not for Jongin's ridiculous requests. He only had to clean the whole house, do the laundry, tend the garden, feed Jongin's pet turtle (Kyungsoo laughed when he discovered this), wash Jongin's three expensive cars, and then cook. By the time Kyungsoo was done with all the work, he would leave quietly and leave a note for Jongin to not skip dinner.

 

Even though Jongin was a demon of a boss, Kyungsoo still couldn't really hate him. Because Kyungsoo knew that the rich and handsome, and a cold guy, Kim Jongin, was always alone. 

 

Jongin's parents passed away in an automobile accident four years ago. It was the headline on the news that time. Jongin inherited everything from his parents. He had been a loving and jolly boy once before, but that changed when he lost the people he loved. Jongin now preferred to be left alone. And he refused to be attached or to care about anyone else.

 


+

 


Sunday was Kyungsoo's day off. He would usually spend it at home, just watching a movie or reading books. Sometimes he would go out and eat at his favorite restaurant. He had visited his mom at the hospital earlier that morning. She looked better and was recovering fast.

 

His mother would talk about Jongin often, and her stories seemed farfetched to Kyungsoo. It was like they were seeing two different person. She would always praise Jongin as a polite and caring boy. Kim Jongin? A caring boy? What a joke. Kyungsoo thought bitterly. If only his mother was aware what Kyungsoo had to go through every day just for Kim Jongin. But Kyungsoo hadn't told her any of that. He didn't want to upset his mother.

 

All Kyungsoo knew was that Kim Jongin was also a great actor.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was plopped down on the couch, watching a reality show, when his cell phone rang. The call was from an unknown number. He picked up in case it was someone from the hospital, informing him that something bad happened to his mom. He prayed that it wasn't. "Hello?"

 

"Hello. Is this Do Kyungsoo?" Someone asked on the other line. The voice was somewhat familiar to Kyungsoo. 

 

"Yes, that is me. Who is this?"

 

"Hey, Kyungsoo. It's me, Chanyeol."

 

Kyungsoo frowned. Why was the managing director of Jongin's company calling him? "Oh, sir Chanyeol. Why did you call? Is there a problem?" He knew that Chanyeol didn't like being called 'sir', but he said it anyway. Just for the fun of it. 

 

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call me sir?" Chanyeol protested gruffly, then he continued in a lower tone, "It's Jongin. He's not answering my calls. I'm worried about him."

 

"Maybe he's just busy or something." Kyungsoo replied. He wasn't surprised that Jongin was ignoring Chanyeol's calls. He would be if it was the opposite. Jongin rarely talked on the phone, if not business related.

 

"But yesterday, Jongin didn't look well. It was like he was on the verge of a high fever. I'm really worried, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol said. "I can't come to his house right now because he sent me on a business trip. So could you please go there and check for me? Please."

 

Kyungsoo was at Jongin's house yesterday. And he looked fine to Kyungsoo. Was this another act? Maybe Jongin just pretended to be sick so he wouldn't have to go to that business trip. But Kyungsoo told Chanyeol that he would check it out. He'd rather be sure. His day off would have to end early for today.

 

 

 

 


The house was awfully quiet when Kyungsoo entered. Where could Jongin be? He knocked on Jongin's room but there was no answer. Did he leave perhaps? Kyungsoo searched the house some more. It was a big house but Kyungsoo already knew every nook and cranny of it.

 

When Kyungsoo passed by the basement door, he heard a faint sound coming from inside. He tried twisting the knob, and to his relief, it wasn't locked. He slowly opened the door. Kyungsoo stepped inside and descended the stairs carefully. He was cautious not to make a sound, just in case Jongin was really down there.

 

Halfway down, Kyungsoo heard a woman's laughter. His eyebrows furrowed. Was Jongin in there with a woman?

 

But his suspicions were proven false. There was indeed a woman. But she was on the big screen mounted on the wall. It was a video coming from a projector in front of a couch. And on the couch, was a sleeping Jongin.

 

The video continued, the woman was now holding the camera. She was focusing on a kid and a man that was playing on a seesaw. Then she zoomed in on the kid's face. He was grinning so wide, his gap tooth showed. Kyungsoo glanced from the kid to the sleeping Jongin on the couch. They were the same person. The kid on the video was Jongin. And he was with his parents on a playground. The video stopped and the screen went black. 

 

Kyungsoo knew that he should leave. This was a private matter for Jongin. Kyungsoo shouldn't be there. But his feet stayed glued on his spot.

 

Kyungsoo jolted when Jongin suddenly started coughing. He started panicking. Jongin would catch him there. Kyungsoo was about to turn around and run back upstairs, but Jongin's coughing fit didn't stop.

 

Instead of running out the front door and go home, Kyungsoo headed towards the kitchen to get a glass of water. Then he went back down to the basement. Jongin's coughing had stopped then.

 

With the glass of water still in his grip, Kyungsoo's hand halted in midair as he stared at Jongin. That's when Kyungsoo realized that Jongin was shivering. He was wrapping his arms around himself. Kyungsoo unconsciously touched Jongin's forehead. Jongin's temperature was burning.

 

Kyungsoo jumped, almost dropping the glass of water in his hand, when Jongin's eyes fluttered open. He froze.

 

"K-Kyungsoo?" Jongin stammered. "What are you doing here?" He began to sit up, but Kyungsoo stopped him with a hand.

 

"Don't get up." Kyungsoo said slowly. He put the glass of water on the center table. "You're sick. Just stay there. I'll get a blanket and medicine." He didn't even wait for Jongin's reply. Kyungsoo quickly ran up and grabbed everything he needed.

 

Jongin had an arm covering his eyes when Kyungsoo came back. Kyungsoo thought that he had fallen asleep again. But then Jongin removed the arm when Kyungsoo kneeled in front of the couch.

 

"What are you doing here?" Jongin demanded. Kyungsoo got a damped towel earlier and he placed it on Jongin's forehead. He was relieved that Jongin didn't smack his arm away.

 

"Chanyeol called me. He was worried about you. You should call someone when you're not feeling well, you know." Kyungsoo said. "You should've called me." He added that last part in a low tone.

 

"I'm fine. I can handle myself. I won't die from this." Jongin retorted coldly. "And besides, it's Sunday. It's your day off. I...can't disturb you." He said more gently this time.

 

"You can just pay me extra for taking care of you on my day off." Kyungsoo joked. He straightened up, opened the folded blanket and placed it around Jongin's body. 

 

Kyungsoo was taken aback when Jongin actually laughed. "All you ever think about is money."

 

"Because it pays the bills." Kyungsoo answered back, smiling. This was the first time that he and Jongin were having a lighthearted conversation.

 

"I'm hungry." Jongin said all of a sudden.

 

Kyungsoo smiled warmly. "One delicious meal for a sick Kim Jongin coming right up."

 

 

 

 

"I can feed myself, you know. It's just a fever. I'm not paralyzed." Jongin chuckled when Kyungsoo was about to spoon-feed him.

 

Kyungsoo quickly handed the spoon to Jongin. "Fine, then. Have it your way."

 

There was a contented smile on Jongin's face as he took the first bite of the soup Kyungsoo made. "It's yummy," he said in appreciation.

 

"I know it is." Kyungsoo replied confidently. "That's my mom's recipe. She makes it for me when I get sick."

 

"How's your mom by the way?" Jongin asked.

 

Kyungsoo was scanning a shelf on the side, filled with all kinds of DVDs. The basement was more like an entertainment room. "She's getting better. The doctor said she could go home next week."

 

"Oh, I'm glad to hear that. I miss Mrs. Do's cooking."

 

Kyungsoo chuckled. "Yeah. Her cooking's much superior than mine. She's a genius in the kitchen."

 

"Your cooking's not bad. I've had worst." Jongin said. The soup on his bowl was almost gone.

 

"Yeah, right." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

 

When Jongin was done eating, and had taken his medicine, Kyungsoo made tea for them both. Jongin still settled on the couch, while Kyungsoo sat on a stool.

 

Kyungsoo glanced at the wall clock. "It's getting late, I should go."

 

Jongin shook his head. "No, you can stay here tonight. What if something happens to me and you're not here?"

 

Kyungsoo lifted a brow. "I thought you can handle yourself?"

 

There was a momentary pause. Jongin slowly swirled the tea on his cup. Then he said, "Well, just in case of emergency."

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. "Okay, then. I'll take the guest room upstairs?" he asked, uncertain.

 

"No." Jongin said a little too quickly.

 

Kyungsoo knitted his brows. "No? Then where do I sleep then? Don't tell me I'll sleep outside."

 

Jongin nibbled his lower lip nervously before answering, "You'll sleep in my room. Beside me."

 

Kyungsoo gaped. "What?"

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo didn't expect that 'beside me' meant that he would sleep on a futon beside Jongin's bed. He must be going nuts for thinking that Jongin wanted to sleep with him on the bed. You're delusional, Do Kyungsoo.

 

Jongin managed to come upstairs to his room with the help of Kyungsoo. His strength hadn't fully recovered yet. When they had both settled on their respective beds, Kyungsoo was about to switch off the light but Jongin stopped him.

 

"I can't sleep with the lights off." Jongin said sheepishly.

 

"Oh, okay." Kyungsoo got back to his futon, and went under the blanket. He wasn't used to sleeping with the lights on, but this was Jongin's house. And he was the boss.

 

Kyungsoo his side, facing away from Jongin's bed. He closed his eyes and willed himself to ignore the light and sleep.

 

"Goodnight, Kyungsoo." Jongin said out of the blue.

 

"Goodnight, Jongin." Kyungsoo replied without opening his eyes.

 

"Thank you for today." Jongin added.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes opened in a snap. That was the first time that Jongin had ever thanked him. He slept that night with a wide smile on his face.

 

 

 

 


+